No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There is another Chad sibling who could play for Sydney AFLW

From Chad's 2021 "SCG debut" - round 2 - Swans d. Adelaide 121-88 :D
The Chad.jpeg

I like both.
The Swans pics are good for individual player profiles or thumbnails. Help you recognise individuals at the ground or on TV.
The Roosters pic is a nice headline team shot for the home page.
I'd posted that as it's own thread but some overzealous mod decided to move it into this thread.

The title was:

AFLW has a Diversity problem

I'd posted that as it's own thread but some overzealous mod decided to move it into this thread.

The title was:

AFLW posts have their own section as distinct from Swans AFL posts.

The title was:

AFL in general has a diversity problem (POC) outside indigenous players, although South Sudanese are coming through. Many of them have a great build for the game.
League has an enormous following amongst Pacific peoples and some Lebanese but also has a lack of other POC or Asians (East or South).
AFL tried with Hunt and Folau but it didn't work.
There is a club in the Sydney women's comp but I'm not sure how they're travelling.
Just gotta keep trying.

League has an enormous following amongst Pacific peoples and some Lebanese but also has a lack of other POC or Asians (East or South).

Same with women's union in Sydney. About half Pacific peoples, which is more 'diverse' in the sense they're not white, but isn't really representative of the distribution of the Australian population either.
The Swans team is indeed a bit whiter compared to the other AFLW teams, but probably just within the range of random variation in who they've picked.
It will change if or when AFL becomes a more dominant sport in NSW... one can hope...

It would be great to see more diversity in the team but really I'm mostly just stoked we've got a team and we're in the comp and we're going to playing real soon! Bring it on!! I can't wait. Am thinking Ima try and watch some of their training sessions aforehand.

I don't think we're going to be a contender this season but we're going to set a foundation and each year we're going to get stronger. Many of the current list will fall by the wayside but some will break through and be stars.

Someone said Sheppard reminds them of Errol; I reckon Cynthia reminds me of Chad. Given their back stories, one of them is going to be a Rampe - a player who was overlooked a few times but turns out to be a star.

AFL in general has a diversity problem (POC) outside indigenous players, although South Sudanese are coming through. Many of them have a great build for the game.
AFL tried with Hunt and Folau but it didn't work.
There is a club in the Sydney women's comp but I'm not sure how they're travelling.
Just gotta keep trying.

might've been a blessing (ha!) in disguise folau didn't work out

AFLW

The AFLW side will host their first official practice match this Saturday (August 13) at Blacktown International Sportspark.

Following last week’s match simulation against the GWS Giants, the Swans will face Collingwood from 1pm.

This practice match will be live streamed on sydneyswans.com.au – more details to come closer to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW

The AFLW side will host their first official practice match this Saturday (August 13) at Blacktown International Sportspark.

Following last week’s match simulation against the GWS Giants, the Swans will face Collingwood from 1pm.

This practice match will be live streamed on sydneyswans.com.au – more details to come closer to the game.
so we have Sydney Swans v. Collingwood this weekend
AFLW Full practice match
Saturday, August 13, 1:00pm, Blacktown International Sports Park (BISP)​
then Sunday, August 14,
VFL
AFL
Lots of black and white feathers will be flying around :)

There was a study a while ago that women tend to do ACL's more frequently than men,

iirc it has something to do with how womens hips and knees are shaped/constructed that means they are more susceptible.

Edit: because you should always provide links

No reference but an orthopaedic surgeon I'm friends with confirms the above. Something to do with the wider pelvis leading to legs being at an unfavourable angle.

AFLW Has a massive diversity problem.

Compare this:

View attachment 1451066

to this:

View attachment 1451067
Wut?

NRL is far more popular with pacific islanders, kiwi's etc. AFL isn't. You think that the Swans are running around building a team based on skin colour? Or perhaps they should have a quota for people of colour. Perhaps get a quota of players who aren't white and put them in the team regardless if they can play or not?

Plenty of indigenous players and hopefully more players of African descent like Chuot come through organically.

Wut?

NRL is far more popular with pacific islanders, kiwi's etc. AFL isn't. You think that the Swans are running around building a team based on skin colour? Or perhaps they should have a quota for people of colour. Perhaps get a quota of players who aren't white and put them in the team regardless if they can play or not?

Plenty of indigenous players and hopefully more players of African descent like Chuot come through organically.
Hopefully there are programs to encourage grassroots involvement. Ask GWS. Why leave out significant parts of the population from our great game? Don't trust to organic - they'll play soccer.

It's going to be a tough sell to the girls of Western Sydney given that the contact nature of AFL doesn't really fit with the cultures of alot of the ethnic communities in the area. Many of these groups frown on girls playing sport and will actively discourage it.

I absolutely love the way the club, coaches and players are approaching the season opening. Doing everything possible to get bums on seats with an expectant buzz. Realistically we may not win a lot of games but if they dig deep and go at it Bloods style no-one should feel disappointed. Anything better is bonus.
Cheer cheer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back