No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Got my foundation member pack today.
Nice little certificate and pin. I will wear the pin with pride.
The surprise was a very substantial list of benefits.
Well done Swans. Unexpected but certainly not unwelcome.
20220311_161931.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Got my foundation member pack today.
Nice little certificate and pin. I will wear the pin with pride.
The surprise was a very substantial list of benefits.
Well done Swans. Unexpected but certainly not unwelcome.
View attachment 1342609
Damn. I got my membership pack but not a foundation pack.

I suck so much, I was gonna be so invested in the AFLW this year and then the Summer Series so I'd be in the loop on some of our talent, and I just... haven't been. I don't even have the excuse of not being able to follow it because there's no Swans connection, as there's a Gulden running around out there. Gonna have to just start from scratch round 1 of the next women's season and learn all our players from there. Can't wait!

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I suck so much, I was gonna be so invested in the AFLW this year and then the Summer Series so I'd be in the loop on some of our talent, and I just... haven't been. I don't even have the excuse of not being able to follow it because there's no Swans connection, as there's a Gulden running around out there. Gonna have to just start from scratch round 1 of the next women's season and learn all our players from there. Can't wait!
This won’t make me popular - but ….. I’ve found the women’s AFL hard to watch.

I love watching the women’s cricket, golf, tennis …. but for some reason the women’s AFL just doesn’t grab me.

Maybe it’s because the women’s AFL season is finishing just as it feels like AFL season is starting.

Maybe it’s because it lacks the goal scoring and spectacular pack marks.

Maybe the addition of a Swans team will help.

Maybe.

I just don’t know.

I love watching the women’s cricket, golf, tennis …. but for some reason the women’s AFL just doesn’t grab me.

Maybe it’s because the women’s AFL season is finishing just as it feels like AFL season is starting.

Maybe.

I just don’t know.

Nah I think they're all fair enough points. The AFLW is at a disadvantage because the competition is in it's infancy, playing a lower standard of a sport that everyone's already familiar with. Going back 120 odd years ago, I imagine the men's game wouldn't have been much more attractive to watch by today's standards, but people didn't know any better because there wasn't a higher standard to compare it to.

So I think it's understandable to have indifference to the AFLW. What I can't stand are the people who have pure contempt for it.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Maybe.

I just don’t know.
I'm a huge fan of the women's top level cricket and have been for quite a while. The improvement in the overall standard over the last half dozen or so years has been stunning. Skills, athleticism, batting, bowling and fielding all have shown improvement across large numbers of players. When a team can leave Ellyse Perry out they have come a long way baby!
I can generally only enjoy watching AFLW in short bursts but the skill improvement is noticeable. As yet it's mainly gone into intensity and defence so it isn't great to watch but within a few years it will be a lot better. Just don't expect it to be the same as the men's game. It won't be. The physical capability and full time professionalism are there.

At least one half of the AFL’s 18 clubs will employ full-time female assistant coaches in their previously all-male coaching departments before the end of the 2022 season.
In a radical affirmative action plan hatched to redress the glaring dearth of women mentors in the AFLW, coaches and aspiring coaches such as Bec Goddard, Alicia Eva, Chloe McMillan, Erin Phillips, Daisy Pearce and Chelsea Randall will be assured full-time roles in the AFL system. All nine women coaches will all earn at least $100,000 a year, which will sit outside the football-department soft cap.

Why AFLW players are up to six times more likely to injure their ACLs than men

:(

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree with Erin Phillips, the players should go full time if the AFL is serious about developing the league, it's an absolute disgrace that they aren't, given the additional exposure the AFL is getting from the extra televised games when the men aren't playing.

The salary for a Tier 1 player in 2022 is $37,155, which is just insulting given the sacrifices that the players are making. If you do your ACL, you will not only be out for the season, but you'll have to miss work in order to do your rehab (one player had to take 3 1/2 months of unpaid leave from her work).

Getting players to move to Sydney (apart, of course, from becoming a Blood) can be because of study or job opportunities.

As an example, Isabel Huntington has requested a trade from Western Bulldogs to GWS

“We fully understand Izzy’s need to move to Sydney for education and non-football related reasons, and we wish her well as she embarks the next stage on her football journey.

"With the opportunity to progress my studies and off-field work interstate, it is the right move for me at this time."
Huntington, 23, works in medical research.

or in the case to Sydney Swans in particular, because of coach Scott Gowans, example Bec Privitelli.
revealed her move to the red and white was largely influenced by her desire to grow her game under head coach Scott Gowans, who she once worked with at Carlton.

Last edited:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Getting players to move to Sydney (apart, of course, from becoming a Blood) can be because of study or job opportunities.

As an example, Isabel Huntington has requested a trade from Western Bulldogs to GWS

or in the case to Sydney Swans in particular, because of coach Scott Gowans, example Bec Privitelli.

Getting good vibes off Gowans. Can't wait to see who he and Kate can bring in as assistants. Love the way the club is building this. No high expectations first up but building a list and a culture.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Heads up NSW/ACT vs NT& TAS Allies game is now in progress and viewed. Come join us over at the match day thread Video link is posted in match day thread. Nine Swans academy players in the NSW/ACT Team

Last edited:

AFLW players in the dark about pre-season start as August launch looms

The start of season and pre-season cannot be locked in until the AFL and the AFL Players Association (AFLPA), who are currently in negotiations, sign off on a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
Collingwood's Sarah Rowe, who is from Ireland and is back home in the off-season, appealed to the league on Tuesday morning to provide some certainty.
"Please @aflwomens give us the pre season start dates so we can plan our lives," Rowe wrote on Twitter.

Erin Phillips - not a surprise move to Port Adelaide

Erin Phillips will depart the Crows ahead of the next AFLW season with the intentions of signing with Port Adelaide.
Phillips, who initially signed with the Power as a marquee player before the club was denied a license back in 2015, will make the move back to Alberton, where her father enjoyed a storied career.

Loyalty or expansion: Inside an AFLW player’s decision to change clubs

complexities behind decision-making as AFLW players,
The AFLW competition is still young, so everything is yet to be equalised and established. The inclusion of four new clubs provides an incredible opportunity for current players to represent their beloved team – Erin Phillips’ family connection to Port Adelaide is a great example. In addition, being a part of history as an inaugural player in a new team is exciting, challenging and a fresh start for many players. A chance for further personal and skill development, leadership opportunities and to build something from the ground up can be very appealing.
The financial rewards of moving to an expansion club is something that established clubs cannot match; a top player could command at least six figures. This is another influential factor. For some AFLW players, it can be life-changing, particularly as the part-time nature of the competition means most work two or three jobs to make enough money to survive. Being an athlete is a 24/7 job and when you are only remunerated for six months of the year, it is understandable that players look for more “benefits” when making decisions about their future.

Loyalty or expansion: Inside an AFLW player’s decision to change clubs

complexities behind decision-making as AFLW players,

The usual rules apply. If someone moves away from your club they are a money-grubbing piece of s**t, if someone moves to your club they are pursuing more opportunities.

Back