No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Season seven of the AFLW will now commence in the last weekend in August, and consist of ten home-and-away rounds and a four-week finals series, with the Grand Final to be held on the last weekend of November.

The CBA deal will result in a substantial pay rise of an average of 94 per cent across all four payment tiers, with players having been particularly keen to have their unpaid hours (maintaining fitness, recovery etc) recognised in the new deal.

Key dates for AFLW season 7

• AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
  • Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
  • NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
  • Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
  • Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
  • Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
  • NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*
* Fixtured dates and game times TBC

Expansion signing period begins today 24 May

Key dates for AFLW season 7

• AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
  • Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
  • NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
  • Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
  • Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
  • Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
  • NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*

Do not quote me as saying AFLW is anti Sydney - but given we had pick 1 for the draft then ...

AFLW Twitter has
2022 Draft 1.jpg
AFLW web page has:
2022 Draft 2.jpg

Haven't followed AFLW at all largely because I'm watching cricket and we never had a side but I'm now interested. Can anyone give a rundown on our list so far and what our actual prospects are like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't followed AFLW at all largely because I'm watching cricket and we never had a side but I'm now interested. Can anyone give a rundown on our list so far and what our actual prospects are like?
I posted this (without last night's 3 picks)
and
Sydney Swans AFLW in surname order

Fixture has been released

Not sure who the muppet was that decided 5.10pm on a Sunday at Arden St was a good idea. Shame the metro tunnel won't be done by then, could be on a train and at the stadium within the hour from 60 odd km away.

Pumped that we have our first game at North Sydney oval. Makes much more sense than having our ground out West.. Also like the GWS game at the SCG, could potentially have a men's final there that night so could be a great day out.

Pumped that we have our first game at North Sydney oval. Makes much more sense than having our ground out West.. Also like the GWS game at the SCG, could potentially have a men's final there that night so could be a great day out.
Yes,

But is it not strange we are barely using Henson Park? Isn't it meant to be our home ground? We even have a home game at Punt Rd Oval against Hawthorn which is weird.
Only 2 games at Henson Park
1 at SCG
1 at North Sydney
1 at Punt Rd

Yes,

But is it not strange we are barely using Henson Park? Isn't it meant to be our home ground? We even have a home game at Punt Rd Oval against Hawthorn which is weird.
1 at SCG
1 at North Sydney
1 at Punt Rd

I assume that round is a footy festival in Melbourne for the GF which would explain it.

To be honest it is a bit strange but I'm not keen on Henson at all so I'm happy enough with it haha.

I assume that round is a footy festival in Melbourne for the GF which would explain it.

To be honest it is a bit strange but I'm not keen on Henson at all so I'm happy enough with it haha.
Well, get used to it. The money being pumped into that ground as the home of the Swans AFLW means its here to stay.

Yes,

1 at SCG
1 at North Sydney
1 at Punt Rd
Work in progress - not sure expected completion date - maybe why "later" in the season?

pinched from arwon:

Well, get used to it. The money being pumped into that ground as the home of the Swans AFLW means its here to stay.

******* stupid having it in the west, no matter how 'inner' west it is.

North Sydney Oval seems the perfect, most logical home, but meh.

******* stupid having it in the west, no matter how 'inner' west it is.

North Sydney Oval seems the perfect, most logical home, but meh.
I think the problem with the AFLW effectively being in the AFL off season is access to ovals. My presumption is that North Sydney and the SCG would only be available until certain dates before they are solely used for cricket. I'm going to assume Henson Park is an AFL sized ground that is not used for cricket over summer. The delay in playing there could very well be due to the building works on facilities?

I think the problem with the AFLW effectively being in the AFL off season is access to ovals. My presumption is that North Sydney and the SCG would only be available until certain dates before they are solely used for cricket. I'm going to assume Henson Park is an AFL sized ground that is not used for cricket over summer. The delay in playing there could very well be due to the building works on facilities?

Yeah assume that's the reason too, but would love to push for North Sydney if/when the product demands it. There must be some scope for footy on the North Shore.

20,000 at Lake Oval in 1947
In June 1947, South Melbourne Football Club advertised for women who'd be keen to play a game at the Swans' Lake Oval headquarters the next month.

As an added benefit, their efforts would raise money for the Red Cross 'Food for Britain' appeal that was delivering desperately-needed resources for a ravaged England, which was still recovering from World War II and was now at the mercy of catastrophic floods.

1947WomensGameSM.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back