Discussion 2022 General Discussion / Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey WaynesWorld19 are we going to do the MND Big Freeze competition again this year mate?
We certainly are .....IIRC June Monday June 13th ....3 more rounds

I'll put up the thread after this round completes

big-freeze-8-png.1402917

Last edited:
Lockdowns for 2+ years (and no travelling) = less exposure to bad things = weaker immune systems
Staying home = less sun = lower vitamin D
Staying home also = lower activity levels and weight gained = less overall health
amongst other things

Happened in the US and Europe when they came out of lockdown as well, bunch of reports of a "super cold" and "super flu" going around. But it's just a result of the above

Think it's just a normal part of coming out of the pandemic. Season 2023 should be a lot more normal. I'd imagine we'll be in complete endemic stage by then and covid rules won't be enforced at all

Heaps of friends and family, myself included, have copped some sort of bad cold in the last month or so
Can currently vouch for this. I hardly ever get crook but this spicy cough/flu is bending me over. I can’t even speak without have a coughing fit.

Whilst I’m here anyone have a good Netflix/Stan/Amazon recommendations? Bored AF.

So ....why are people not going to the Football, in the numbers, B4 the pandemic

I saw a number yesterday ....19% down on 2019

I've had a lot of discussions & personal thoughts on this ....these are my 3 conclusions

1. Club Members used to just rock up at games, scan their membership ticket ...and go to their allocated seats ...now they have to go online to get a ticket & pay a booking fee ....many are saying **** that !

2. Going to the football is a habit ....and that habit has been broken

3. Many people suffered financially during & continuing post pandemic .....they now simply watch on TV

4. The game is changing .....as Eddie McGuire said last night, the contact nature of the game is disappearing .....the fans are totally frustrated, they're seeing players suspended for actions Coach's have always applauded (shepherding)

Now I know, every year, people say that's it ...not renewing membership, not going to the footy again ect ect .....and by n large, it's a furphy ......but IMO there is a straw that breaks the Camels back

They're seeing a politicising of the game .....a corporate look, the average fan is hating

Understand the head knocks & legal implications, down the track ......but it is an occupational habit, you sign up, knowing may occur ......how does boxing / MMA handle ?
If you don't want the head knocks, don't play .....if you want the insane $$$$ , then there is a trade-off .....you cannot tell me the skills of today's AFL footballer (in the main) is worthy of $500K - $1M a year

Do you ruin the fabric of the game, to avoid legal action ......seems to me, the AFL's priority is not in the right area

So ....why are people not going to the Football, in the numbers, B4 the pandemic

I've had a lot of discussions & personal thoughts on this ....these are my 3 conclusions

1. Club Members used to just rock up at games, scan their membership ticket ...and go to their allocated seats ...now they have to go online to get a ticket & pay a booking fee ....many are saying **** that !

3. Many people suffered financially during & continuing post pandemic .....they now simply watch on TV

4. The game is changing .....as Eddie McGuire said last night, the contact nature of the game is disappearing .....the fans are totally frustrated, they're seeing players suspended for actions Coach's have always applauded (shepherding)

Now I know, every year, people say that's it ...not renewing membership, not going to the footy again ect ect .....and by n large, it's a furphy ......but IMO there is a straw that breaks the Camels back

They're seeing a politicising of the game .....a corporate look, the average fan is hating

Understand the head knocks & legal implications, down the track ......but it is an occupational habit, you sign up, knowing may occur ......how does boxing / MMA handle ?
If you don't want the head knocks, don't play .....if you want the insane $$$$ , then there is a trade-off .....you cannot tell me the skills of today's AFL footballer (in the main) is worthy of $500K - $1M a year

Do you ruin the fabric of the game, to avoid legal action ......seems to me, the AFL's priority is not in the right area
5. My team is s**t.

Can currently vouch for this. I hardly ever get crook but this spicy cough/flu is bending me over. I can’t even speak without have a coughing fit.

Whilst I’m here anyone have a good Netflix/Stan/Amazon recommendations? Bored AF.
Don't know if you're into movies, but this bloke has some good ones from time to time.......

5. My team is s**t.
Relatives that are family friends of Sheedy, go every year .....sit in the same seats forever .....4 of them, none have been to an ESS game this year ...because they can't be ****ed booking an online ticket
The fact ESS are s**t ....certainly not helping

Manifest

Everything you post resonates and contributes, for sure.
Generational change is also a massive factor. I am 55 and stopped going to the footy after 2018; too much white noise, too many seating and entry hassles and I can't say 'F#ck' anymore when I get excited. In fact, I can't even get excited anymore, it's all about theatre-going and 'family', not visceral atmosphere and emotional tension.
I work with a lot of 20/30 yr olds in my field, none of them give the remotest f#ck about the footy, or sport really in general. They go out all w/end around Melbourne, but not to the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generational change is also a massive factor. I am 55 and stopped going to the footy after 2018; too much white noise, too many seating and entry hassles and I can't say 'F#ck' anymore when I get excited. In fact, I can't even get excited anymore, it's all about theatre-going and 'family', not visceral atmosphere and emotional tension.
I work with a lot of 20/30 yr olds in my field, none of them give the remotest f#ck about the footy, or sport really in general. They go out all w/end around Melbourne, but not to the footy.
Reckon this is a big part. It's the same over here with Rugby. Lots of younger folk just don't give a s**t, and lots are (like me) in the camp of causal watchers. It's very expensive to take the kids too.

Reckon this is a big part. It's the same over here with Rugby. Lots of younger folk just don't give a s**t, and lots are (like me) in the camp of causal watchers. It's very expensive to take the kids too.
They have grown up with so many options and grown up so independently of their parents that the emotional bond was never made with a sport, or a team.
My 25 yr old daughter went with me quite often as a small child, but once her social life expanded, that was consigned to the dumpster. They have such a wide network, so variable, that there is always something else to catch the attention.
I had 4 TV channels and books, which was fabulous, but the footy was a completely different world for me.

For them, a billion worlds are fingertips away.

They have grown up with so many options and grown up so independently of their parents that the emotional bond was never made with a sport, or a team.
My 25 yr old daughter went with me quite often as a small child, but once her social life expanded, that was consigned to the dumpster. They have such a wide network, so variable, that there is always something else to catch the attention.
I had 4 TV channels and books, which was fabulous, but the footy was a completely different world for me.

For them, a billion worlds are fingertips away.
Yeah that true. I'm a child of boomers - they all joined sports clubs and played as adults. My generation don't have time for sport the same way due to cost of living increasing so much. I'm lucky to play golf once a month with my mates as weekends revolve around kids sport. The last thing I want to do now is go out to watch rugby on a cold winters night.

I suspect there will be a tipping point with a lot of professional sports soon, the money will dry up as interest wanes.

Like Bob Dylan said, the times are a changin'

Yellowstone - stan, amazing scenery,makes me wish I was back in the bush and not want to catch a train.

Not having free to air,and seeing your team every week has to have some impact,certainly for gaining new fans

I reacess things every now and then, must be a Blue moon tonite.

Thoughts were - I did enjoy watching tha short people against Preuss,and 17 greedy Dogs against Cameron last week.
- I miss not watching my team every week.
- Maybe it's time to invest in my Supercoach season and take things a bit more seriously.
- I wouldn't mind learning to enjoy the footy again,not just watching fantasy scores go up and down

So any advice/pitfalls things to consider before signing up to whoever it is that holds viewing footy hostage.I will want to end it the second finals are up.

I reacess things every now and then, must be a Blue moon tonite.

Thoughts were - I did enjoy watching tha short people against Preuss,and 17 greedy Dogs against Cameron last week.
- I miss not watching my team every week.
- Maybe it's time to invest in my Supercoach season and take things a bit more seriously.
- I wouldn't mind learning to enjoy the footy again,not just watching fantasy scores go up and down

So any advice/pitfalls things to consider before signing up to whoever it is that holds viewing footy hostage.I will want to end it the second finals are up.
You cannot escape the Murdochian Eye whichever simple way you choose and a VPN in Sao Paulo ain't what it used to be.

Kayo, simple, you can have 2 screens when there are clashes, $27.50 per month, no contract. I'll drop it when the H/A season ends and pick it up again next year. I didn't jump ship until recently, but boffins here watched the practice games in the lead up to the actual pre-season games and a lot of early gold was down to that access.

Footy is really good to watch this year again, except for when WC, Norf, Essendon or currently Collingwood are playing.

You cannot escape the Murdochian Eye whichever simple way you choose and a VPN in Sao Paulo ain't what it used to be.

Kayo, simple, you can have 2 screens when there are clashes, $27.50 per month, no contract. I'll drop it when the H/A season ends and pick it up again next year. I didn't jump ship until recently, but boffins here watched the practice games in the lead up to the actual pre-season games and a lot of early gold was down to that access.

Footy is really good to watch this year again, except for when WC, Norf, Essendon or currently Collingwood are playing.
Had a quick look before getting confused and came across Kayo, had something about having to be a Telstra customer so skipped that ? And thankyou for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back