Discussion 2022 General Discussion / Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1429292

A) COLL slap De Goey with a wet lettuce leaf .....of course he can go 9 games without offending ....he's not got any overseas trips planned

B) He'll play this week, because of point 1 ....club not disposed to make the tough call, as already demonstrated

C) He will be playing at COLL next year

D) There's no doubt, a condition with the penalty, was De Goey's apology ......it was not of his own free will
why wtf did he do wrong?

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers, Port Melbourne.
why wtf did he do wrong?
He made the fatal error of being young, dumb and full of, well, a few things, really.

The SEN piece alerted me to a new element; last year he was diagnosed with ADHD, which is huge cross to bear, even if you are not constantly on the front page.
I'll be more aware of this in any commentary I subsequently make about JDG, the player and the bloke ( even though he is a douche-nozzle ).

He made the fatal error of being young, dumb and full of, well, a few things, really.

The SEN piece alerted me to a new element; last year he was diagnosed with ADHD, which is huge cross to bear, even if you are not constantly on the front page.
I'll be more aware of this in any commentary I subsequently make about JDG, the player and the bloke ( even though he is a douche-nozzle ).
I get its not a good look and that he could make smarter choices right now, but I don’t get why they are trying to run him into the ground, fluck the media, they are all pissants.

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton

There are many young and dumb players who haven’t been accused multiple times of sexual assault, charged with drink driving and been put in prison overseas for assault. He brings the media circus onto himself. I understand the sentiment of the media being too overbearing and you especially see that regarding a player like Ginnivan, but De Goey has built up a reputation and will be focussed on more heavily due to his own actions.

The reason for the fine and apology I think is just for the optics of it. Collingwood can’t have someone who has been accused of sexual assault multiple times be videoed trying to expose a woman’s breast. I mean they have an AFLW and Netball team. Even if she says afterwards that she was okay with it, due to his history it has more weight.

There are plenty of people out there with ADHD who don’t constantly have run ins with the law. It may give an explanation to his clouded judgement but it doesn’t excuse it. He has to have a better circle around him influencing his decisions because at this point he is costing himself hundreds of thousands of contract money.

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are many young and dumb players who haven’t been accused multiple times of sexual assault, charged with drink driving and been put in prison overseas for assault. He brings the media circus onto himself. I understand the sentiment of the media being too overbearing and you especially see that regarding a player like Ginnivan, but De Goey has built up a reputation and will be focussed on more heavily due to his own actions.

The reason for the fine and apology I think is just for the optics of it. Collingwood can’t have someone who has been accused of sexual assault multiple times be videoed trying to expose a woman’s breast. I mean they have an AFLW and Netball team. Even if she says afterwards that she was okay with it, due to his history it has more weight.

There are plenty of people out there with ADHD who don’t constantly have run ins with the law. It may give an explanation to his clouded judgement but it doesn’t excuse it. He has to have a better circle around him influencing his decisions because at this point he is costing himself hundreds of thousands of contract money.
Mine; ( even though he is a douche-nozzle )

Yours was much more articulate and I do not disagree with a thing you said; the ADHD was new to me and I thought it worth mentioning in case others were unaware as well.
These things do not abrogate their bearers from social responsibility and his attitude towards women is revolting and cannot be attributed to any form of neurological disorder. That is learned from a young age by example.

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If you'd told me even 4 weeks ago that I'd have what I consider to my 'final' team, bench swing strength and all, with not a single Melbourne player in sight, not even in the 30, I'd have told you to go forth and multiply.

Things certainly are fluid in this world of ours.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you'd told me even 4 weeks ago that I'd have what I consider to my 'final' team, bench swing strength and all, with not a single Melbourne player in sight, not even in the 30, I'd have told you to go forth and multiply.

I'd love t tell my February self "Sicily, Witts, and Brodie, just trust me on this one".

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'd love t tell my February self "Sicily, Witts, and Brodie, just trust me on this one".
Add Hewett to that trio and you and I are in sync, baby! I got Witts/Brodie almost immediately but couldn't get to Sic until about Rd 10; hate corrective trades and hate paying overs even more.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Add Hewett to that trio and you and I are in sync, baby! I got Witts/Brodie almost immediately but couldn't get to Sic until about Rd 10; hate corrective trades and hate paying overs even more.

I did start with Hewett, and went Whitfield to Docherty in another good early move. Only just got Witts though, had figured he'd just be one I'd miss out on, but with Gawn out I just had to. What a weird year.

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond

You don't have Oliver....
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You don't have Oliver....
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society
Nope, been next cab off the rank, but never the right price at the right time. I am going to hope that my theory about Melbourne playing more in the style of late last year leading to less congested/contested ball for him proves correct and his output drops below his best for the rest of the year: Can't have all the same premos as the blokes you are trying to chase down at the top, so taking the road less travelled, which has worked out okay so far.

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope, been next cab off the rank, but never the right price at the right time. I am going to hope that my theory about Melbourne playing more in the style of late last year leading to less congested/contested ball for him proves correct and his output drops below his best for the rest of the year: Can't have all the same premos as the blokes you are trying to chase down at the top, so taking the road less travelled, which has worked out okay so far.
There's good PODs then there's bad ones aswell. As in you are 1 of the 50% who don't have the bloke averaging 127. You can obviously still be fine with guys like Laird and Mills. I was going to start Laird but he wasn't playing R1.

My theory was loopholing and bench cover would be the best way to make up ground late in the year. It's started already...

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back