2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

New details, Bowes owed 800k+ over each of the next two years - so over 1.6mil.

Come at me all you want.

But whoever pushes Bowes contract back so he is on 850k a year is a dick.
Even the higher up’s who approved it.

It was never going to work out..
why only this year are they dumping? Why didn’t they dump a lot more last year?

It seems they’ve been aware this was coming for a period of time.

Then to come out and say they don’t want first Rd picks because u need to pay them more.

Any other year he is trying to move up and get first Rd picks.. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Piss off Cameron get your s**t together.

Last edited:
I can see what they are trying to do, I wonder if they still try and add depth this year on fringe players from other clubs?

That will be interesting.

What positions across the ground are in need of some depth?

I really hope the Eagles show interest in Bowes and 7.

If we land a future 2nd of Port for Rioli I would offer that and even add a future 3rd as well to help the Suns with points next year.

As for young, developing players Rotham as a 193cm half back is on the fringe at the Eagles.

Hary Edwards a 202cm CHB, 21 yrs old. Been hard watching him develop but he is further ahead than McGovern was at the same age.

Neither would command big dollars but add depth round 1 and still could be decent role players.

If we soften our no dickhead policy, we should consider the Tigers Sydney Stack.

Slight grey area between how much is deadhead and how much is mongrel, but he is talented, versatile, in the right age bracket and cheap.

He could move in with Harbs for the first season.

If we soften our no dickhead policy, we should consider the Tigers Sydney Stack.

Slight grey area between how much is deadhead and how much is mongrel, but he is talented, versatile, in the right age bracket and cheap.

He could move in with Harbs for the first season.
Like him as a player, lots of talent, huge potential. Hard edge as you say.

Seems to be the off field stuff holding him back. Some times these blokes with "troubled pasts" get their s**t together.

Hard to judge from a distance.

Come at me all you want.

But whoever pushes Bowes contract back so he is on 850k a year is a dick.
Even the higher up’s who approved it.

It was never going to work out..
why only this year are they dumping? Why didn’t they dump a lot more last year?

It seems they’ve been aware this was coming for a period of time.

Then to come out and say they don’t want first Rd picks because u need to pay them more.

Any other year he is trying to move up and get first Rd picks..

Piss off Cameron get your s**t together.
They moved on Peter Wright, Will Brodie and shopped around Macpherson before smoothing over his contract, that's alot.

I think it's good we don't have a large supporter base so we don't have to justify ourselves to a couple of armchair critics and actually make strategic decisions for our future without having to sell it to the public.

100% behind the suns on this, we have our cattle, we've picked our best mix, now we can pay our biggest contributors the lions share then divy up the rest (and save for the future).

It would be interesting to know situation in other clubs. Covid cap cut 2 years ago was around 1.5M and if I remember correctly only 3-4 clubs went for 10% cut across the list (e.g., Eagles). Suns and other clubs went for deferred/back ended contract with willing players.

In case of Suns, it looks like Macpherson, Brodie, Bowes were participants. Possibly Wright, Fiorini, Sexton and a couple of others.

Obviously, GWS has issues (latest Haynes is due 1M), but also Saints, Collingwood, Hawks would like to do some dumping as far as I can see. I suspect several more clubs will go for it.

Just do it :)

I like Jack and will be disappointed to see him go but he just doesn't have that speed to be a genuine threat. His spatial awareness also isn't good enough for someone that slow, he will be a good midfielder but not someone worth 800k for the next 2 seasons.
I was wondering if the speed thing was just me. Good Lord he's slow. One game last year l watched the way he moved it looked like he was running in gumboots.

Bloody hell, these speculations are getting more and more ridiculous. Now they say Bowes salary next year is 850K but overall remaining 2 years is over 1M. So is his last year 200-300K? It messed up my own list management :p

Geelong is reportedly in the mix for out-of-favour Suns defender Jack Bowes, who has a heavily backended contract.

Bowes’ contract for the next two years is reportedly worth more than $1 million overall, with the Herald Sun reporting the Suns are keen on offloading him along with pick No.7 this trade period.

SEN reports Geelong is “very interested” in Bowes and that he is owed roughly $850,000 next season, which is the second-last year of his current deal.

I was wondering if the speed thing was just me. Good Lord he's slow. One game last year l watched the way he moved it looked like he was running in gumboots.
I think he struggled this year. Also noticed that after that quad injury a couple of years ago he can't really kick deep.

Contracts

Gold Coast (8)

Chris Burgess, Levi Casboult (unrestricted free agent), Charlie Constable (unrestricted free agent), Josh Corbett, Oskar Faulkhead, Oleg Markov, Hewago Paul Oea, Izak Rankine

Rankine will join the Crows via trade in the next fortnight or so, with the Suns set to score Adelaide’s pick 5 this year and a future selection in exchange. Casboult could hardly have done more in his first season at Gold Coast – kicking a career-high 35 goals in Ben King’s absence – and is in discussions to continue in 2023. Burgess, mid-season addition Faulkhead, Constable and Oea are also nearing agreements for next year. Corbett is surveying his options and may land at Fremantle once the dust settles, but he and Markov won’t know their fate until after the trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah ok. I assume all were 1 years when pre listed given it was the rookie list. But if it was 2 years, that makes sense. They must rate him.
A lot of people rated him. Unfortunately had back fracture several months before draft. Hoping he's good to go now. HB or even midfield.

A lot of people rated him. Unfortunately had back fracture several months before draft. Hoping he's good to go now. HB or even midfield.
Yeah, that was unfortunate his back issue. Hopefully he has recovered now and can have a big pre-season.

It would be interesting to know situation in other clubs. Covid cap cut 2 years ago was around 1.5M and if I remember correctly only 3-4 clubs went for 10% cut across the list (e.g., Eagles). Suns and other clubs went for deferred/back ended contract with willing players.

In case of Suns, it looks like Macpherson, Brodie, Bowes were participants. Possibly Wright, Fiorini, Sexton and a couple of others.

Obviously, GWS has issues (latest Haynes is due 1M), but also Saints, Collingwood, Hawks would like to do some dumping as far as I can see. I suspect several more clubs will go for it.

Just do it :)
i think this is worth noting that we may have brushed over.

deferring salary payments during covid times is a likely reason for the large amount owing for jack's last 2 contract years.

not saying this excuses the list management team, at all, but could explain it partly.

i feel the league accepting salary dumps is going to exist in peaks and troughs. i believe teams still need to pay their playing list a certain percentage of the salary cap, meaning teams only have small amounts of cap space dependant on player movements.

compare this to the nba which doesn't have a minimum team salary cap payment (correct me if i'm wrong), where the ability to absorb larger contracts is a lot simpler.

i guess the minimum salary cap payments in the AFL deters tanking to an extent but it doesn't help the shitty clubs that still have to pay their s**t players the same as everyone else relatively.

SUNS EYE BRISBANE FORWARD

GOLD Coast is interested in Brisbane's out-of-contract small forward Tom Berry.

Berry, the younger brother of Lions star Jarrod, is out of contract and has struggled to break into the Lions' team consistently this season, playing only three games in 2022.

The Lions have offered Berry a contract but he remains unsigned and has gathered interest from the Suns.
The Suns will lose gun small forward Izak Rankine to Adelaide but have also been in the market for a pressure player, with Berry's speed and tenacity a key part of his game.

Berry has played 20 games for the Lions since being drafted by the club at the end of 2019.

Clubs have been looking at the Lions' depth players this season, with Deven Robertson having interest through the year but breaking back into the senior team for its finals series. – Callum Twomey

Seems as though our plan is to take the one high pick to the draft and move the rest, similar to last year with Mac Andrew. Personally I hope we select Olli hollands, not just the fact we can team the brothers up but reckon he will become a very good player. Can play wing or half back or in the middle. Has a really high footy IQ and neat skills. Not rated as high as pick 5 but wouldn't bother me if we called his name out there. The opportunity to team up with his brother would help the go home factor and maybe won't need to bust the salary cap when he re-signs.

SUNS EYE BRISBANE FORWARD

GOLD Coast is interested in Brisbane's out-of-contract small forward Tom Berry.

Berry, the younger brother of Lions star Jarrod, is out of contract and has struggled to break into the Lions' team consistently this season, playing only three games in 2022.

The Lions have offered Berry a contract but he remains unsigned and has gathered interest from the Suns.
The Suns will lose gun small forward Izak Rankine to Adelaide but have also been in the market for a pressure player, with Berry's speed and tenacity a key part of his game.

Berry has played 20 games for the Lions since being drafted by the club at the end of 2019.

Clubs have been looking at the Lions' depth players this season, with Deven Robertson having interest through the year but breaking back into the senior team for its finals series. – Callum Twomey

In the article, Lions are also interested in Bowes + 7. It surprised me. Surely, their cap should be close to full or somebody will drop out. Pick 7 would be handy in Dunkley deal. Lions will meet Bowes later this week. A lot of clubs interested.
BRISBANE is among the clubs interested in Gold Coast's Jack Bowes and the Suns' pick No.7 as the Lions plot a busy trade period.

Bowes is due to return from overseas this week and will meet with clubs as he decides on his future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back