Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
If i'm taking a tiger i'm paying for Liam Baker. Gun

Can only bring in those wanting to come.

Dan Rioli mates with our ex-Tiger players and our indigenous lads. Probably would love playing in the NT & the time spent up there giving back to the local communities.

Right age bracket and versatile.
Instant Weller replacement.

Plenty of upside.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
He has gone to another level in the last 6 weeks or so. Perhaps his management is doing a last minute push for more? Would hope not, but wouldn’t blame them.

The funny thing is he was probably getting paid well overs to stay based on what he produced up until 6 weeks ago but given he's turned the corner he deserves whatever he gets.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can only bring in those wanting to come.

Dan Rioli mates with our ex-Tiger players and our indigenous lads. Probably would love playing in the NT & the time spent up there giving back to the local communities.

Right age bracket and versatile.
Instant Weller replacement.

Plenty of upside.
Daniel Rioli would be a solid pick up for us. 25 years old and will have close to 150 games under his belt at the conclusion of this season. That's literally the sweet spot in terms of recruitment so I'm all for recruiting another freakishly talented indigenous player that has some x factor about his game. D.Rioli is already a three time premiership player so he knows what it takes to perform on the big stage and that could be invaluable going forward.

It'd also be nice to start a Rioli tradition at our club. It's obviously a famous footballing family and having a Rioli in your team is a great way to endear yourself to the general public in the NT. I'm confident we would get a lot more fans in Darwin if we recruit a Rioli to go with Jeffrey and Rosas.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Daniel Rioli would be a solid pick up for us. 25 years old and will have close to 150 games under his belt at the conclusion of this season. That's literally the sweet spot in terms of recruitment so I'm all for recruiting another freakishly talented indigenous player that has some x factor about his game. D.Rioli is already a three time premiership player so he knows what it takes to perform on the big stage and that could be invaluable going forward.

It'd also be nice to start a Rioli tradition at our club. It's obviously a famous footballing family and having a Rioli in your team is a great way to endear yourself to the general public in the NT. I'm confident we would get a lot more fans in Darwin if we recruit a Rioli to go with Jeffrey and Rosas.
Theres also the Rioli winning a flag at every club they play at too.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

You are spot on except for the freakishly talented part.

Dan Rioli is very talented but he isnt Cyril level of talent. Daniel has even admitted that.

The move to defense saved his career and IMO he is at AA 40 man squad levels this season. Very good but not a freak.

Would love him at the Eagles in defense to play on the smalls.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely we use our first, take the best couple of academy players and move everything else to next year to bank points for these two academy forwards that are going well? Walter and Reid (i think?)

Would happily trade the first for the right player too.

How many academy kids are the Suns bringing in this year?

Feel they will bring in more kids and trade or let go older fringe types simply to free up and reallocate cap space. Over the years we all know some of those fringe players would have got bigger contracts just to stabilise the list.

Fioroni? Is he still under contract in 2023?

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
How many academy kids are the Suns bringing in this year?

Feel they will bring in more kids and trade or let go older fringe types simply to free up and reallocate cap space. Over the years we all know some of those fringe players would have got bigger contracts just to stabilise the list.

Fioroni? Is he still under contract in 2023?

Fiorini contracted until end 2023.

Seems to be one of Dew’s fringe mids now, even though a guy like Davies has only played a couple of decent games in the last two months.

Dew seems to be set fast tracking some players instead of playing more experienced options.

I think he would be gettable if a club shows him some love.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
List size will be important factor.

I don't see any academy kids worth drafting this year but I don't follow them closely. Looking forward to see what Uwland can do next year when healthy.

Faulkhead looks promising.

Potential changes:
Trade - Fiorini, Macpherson (no interest?).
Not re-signed - McLennan, Corbett, Burgess (hope not), Constable, Graham (probably not).
De-listed - Nicholls, Conroy, Murtagh, Tsitas, Ace (can he still stay as cat B?).

Last edited:

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With recent injuries i think we should be all in on will day. Has had a bad run with injuries but if he gets his body right could be an elite half back/wing or even end up in the midfield.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
List size will be important factor.

I don't see any academy kids worth drafting this year but I don't follow them closely. Looing forward to see what Uwland can do next year when healthy.

Faulkhead looks promising.

Potential changes:
Trade - Fiorini, Macpherson (no interest?).
Not re-signed - McLennan, Corbett, Burgess (hope not), Constable, Graham (probably not).
De-listed - Nicholls, Conroy, Murtagh, Tsitas, Ace (can he still stay as cat B?).
As you say the list size will be the key factor. It may need reducing again? I think all teams must draft 3 players? So we may need to lose 5-6.

Reading the draft-watcher threads it doesn't seem like we have any highly ranked kids this year. But that doesn't mean there aren't any there either, Brock was a surprise pick last year.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As you say the list size will be the key factor. It may need reducing again? I think all teams must draft 3 players? So we may need to lose 5-6.

Reading the draft-watcher threads it doesn't seem like we have any highly ranked kids this year. But that doesn't mean there aren't any there either, Brock was a surprise pick last year.
You would hope that the club already knows what will happen with our list size. It affects everything.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With recent injuries i think we should be all in on will day. Has had a bad run with injuries but if he gets his body right could be an elite half back/wing or even end up in the midfield.
Yes, great talent but personally, I don't think it's our priority. Weller, Powell will be back, we got excellent Budarick already (played only 25 games), Farrar is improving and becoming best 22 (played only 20 games), Markov is also there and improving (played 47 games), Sharp is developing, Hollands waiting for opportunity (plays on wing a lot recently), Atkins can play wing/HB.

I think our list is in great shape and has a huge scope for improvement from within. We also have to manage cap carefully.

Still young in the middle but next year Rowell, Anderson will be in their 4th year, Davies 3rd year. Rankine more midfield minutes, please.

The club seems to believe in Graham development and will keep him. If Thompson stay healthy and plays well for the rest of season we are probably OK down back while Brock and Andrew develop (both may get some games next year). Otherwise, I would be happy to get Jones for a couple of years.

Always interested in getting a top talent entering a prime but if it does not happen we should be more than fine next year.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
What i've got on my spreadsheet (Could be wrong please correct me)

Markov, Tsitas, Rankine, Burgess, Casboult, Uwland, Constable, Faulkhead, Nicholls, Rosas, Murtagh, Mclennan, Brock, Graham, Oea, Conroy

Davies, Sexton, Holman, Fiorini, Day, Weller, Anderson, Thompson, Rowell, Sharp, Flanders, Macpherson, Farrar

Atkins, Bowes, Ellis, Ainsworth, Lemmens, Swallow, Witts, King, Hollands, Jeffery, Moyle

Chol, Ballard, Collins, Andrew, Budarick

Lukosius, Powell

Miller

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What i've got on my spreadsheet (Could be wrong please correct me)

Markov, Tsitas, Rankine, Burgess, Casboult, Uwland, Constable, Faulkhead, Nicholls, Rosas, Murtagh, Mclennan, Brock, Graham, Oea, Conroy

Davies, Sexton, Holman, Fiorini, Day, Weller, Anderson, Thompson, Rowell, Sharp, Flanders, Macpherson, Farrar

Atkins, Bowes, Ellis, Ainsworth, Lemmens, Swallow, Witts, King, Hollands, Jeffery, Moyle

Chol, Ballard, Collins, Andrew, Budarick

Lukosius, Powell

Miller
I compared it with my spreadsheet. No guarantees :)

Markov – 2022. No announcement on extension yet.

Uwland, Brock - 2023. I expect they got 2 years contracts but yes, it could be only 1 year.

Rosas – 2023. He had to extend last off-season, I would expect 2 years, no announcement.

Davies – 2022. No announcement on extension yet.

Macpherson – 2024. I believe they spread his contract, 2 extra years.

Atkins – 2024 + 1. Extra year subject to incentives.

Powell – 2025.

Corbett – 2022.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
I compared it with my spreadsheet. No guarantees :)

Markov – 2022. No announcement on extension yet.

Uwland, Brock - 2023. I expect they got 2 years contracts but yes, it could be only 1 year.

Rosas – 2023. He had to extend last off-season, I would expect 2 years, no announcement.

Davies – 2022. No announcement on extension yet.

Macpherson – 2024. I believe they spread his contract, 2 extra years.

Atkins – 2024 + 1. Extra year subject to incentives.

Powell – 2025.

Corbett – 2022.
Covid re-arrangements really did stuff our spreadsheets up haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back