If you haven't voted yet, Leon Davis Medal voting is winding up soon:

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Dekoning should have got the medal

Absolutely toweld up buddy and us
Nah their game was won in the front half. Maybe if it was a tighter contest but the ball was barely up our end and when it was their mids were stopping us moving it cleanly (or Rampe just dribbled it to buddy's feet)

I think Franklin will really struggle next as a genuine FF
He just can't get on top of quality back lines. Melbourne then Collingwood then Geelong. Our lowest rated player across the finals.

Will still have the occasional day out but not sure what sort of contribution we can rely on from him.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If you haven't voted yet, Leon Davis Medal voting is winding up soon:

I encourage everyone to vote a certain ex Blood who cheated on his missus when it got difficult.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Taken me a while to get around here guys, but wow did I just want to say how much I respect you guys as a club and an organization. I already loved Dane Rampe, but his speech on the stage rather than the stock standard 'to Geelong, you boys were too good, too ours I know you're hurting but we'll be back' etc. - was just absolute class. Spoke with such articulation, measured voice and praise for Sel, us as a club and all the fans, whilst he must have been hurting so much. There's a reason someone like Harley chose you guys as his destination of choice, as you're just such a wonderful organization and fanbase - and basically like the sister club to Geelong at this point, such is the similarity in how we always compete and maintain respect year in and year out.

Chad Warner btw, wow what a player. I'd heard a lot of fanfare and watched some games, but he's way better than I thought. 29 disposals and 2 goals in a side that could barely get their hands on it from clearance, is just phenomenal. Likewise Robbie Fox on Jez, did not see that coming either. We were the only club that bid on Gulden and who recognized his talent as much as you guys knew it, which again goes to show how good our development/scouting teams are. Love Mills too, will probably win a Brownlow himself one day soon.

Commiserations, but if the last decade has shown us anything, it's that disappointment breeds success, and you guys aren't flashes in the pan like the Dogs, Dees, Crows etc. you have sustained success and you have a great young developing squad. I actually think you'll be better off once guys like Reid and Bud retire, as they're holding you back from development of guys like McLean and McDonald, who I think could be both fantastic players.

All in all, a tough day, but I expect to see you back at the pointy end again next year, better for the experience. If you do make it again next year, I'll definitely be barracking for ya if it's not against us.

Take care guys and see ya in 2023!

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the players will be ok mentally next season. It would have been worse losing the preliminary to Collingwood at the SCG in the last seconds after having a huge lead. And last year we got knocked out in the first week of finals by 1 point which would have haunted them.

If the senior players are mentally flat next season. I think we have to bring in a few young players from the reserves who have some enthusiasm. Similarly to how Clarke, Fox and Stephens came in, took their opportunity and kept their spot.

We have got a few players who did not play who would have some hunger to cement a spot like Cunningham, Wicks, Amartey, Ladhams and McDonald. And a few younger guys hoping for a taste of AFL football like Gould, Sheldrick, Roberts, Warner and Hall Kahan.

Last edited:

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s important to remember that any promising season (that is, making the finals) that doesn’t result with the cup ends with a loss, which will always be disappointing.

Yes, our loss was *, but when you look at the other finalists they all went out in bad ways too except maybe Collingwood (who we beat by the way).

Would we prefer to be Melbourne, going out in straight sets? If they didn’t win the GF last year then this year would look like a complete disaster. Brisbane didn’t fair much better than we did. The others all went out in bad ways too. That’s the nature of finals, you feel * when you lose.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Taken me a while to get around here guys, but wow did I just want to say how much I respect you guys as a club and an organization. I already loved Dane Rampe, but his speech on the stage rather than the stock standard 'to Geelong, you boys were too good, too ours I know you're hurting but we'll be back' etc. - was just absolute class. Spoke with such articulation, measured voice and praise for Sel, us as a club and all the fans, whilst he must have been hurting so much. There's a reason someone like Harley chose you guys as his destination of choice, as you're just such a wonderful organization and fanbase - and basically like the sister club to Geelong at this point, such is the similarity in how we always compete and maintain respect year in and year out.

Chad Warner btw, wow what a player. I'd heard a lot of fanfare and watched some games, but he's way better than I thought. 29 disposals and 2 goals in a side that could barely get their hands on it from clearance, is just phenomenal. Likewise Robbie Fox on Jez, did not see that coming either. We were the only club that bid on Gulden and who recognized his talent as much as you guys knew it, which again goes to show how good our development/scouting teams are. Love Mills too, will probably win a Brownlow himself one day soon.

Commiserations, but if the last decade has shown us anything, it's that disappointment breeds success, and you guys aren't flashes in the pan like the Dogs, Dees, Crows etc. you have sustained success and you have a great young developing squad. I actually think you'll be better off once guys like Reid and Bud retire, as they're holding you back from development of guys like McLean and McDonald, who I think could be both fantastic players.

All in all, a tough day, but I expect to see you back at the pointy end again next year, better for the experience. If you do make it again next year, I'll definitely be barracking for ya if it's not against us.

Take care guys and see ya in 2023!

Crushing victory mate enjoy the win at least you flogged us fair and square unlike the s**t that was 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
He just can't get on top of quality back lines. Melbourne then Collingwood then Geelong. Our lowest rated player across the finals.

Will still have the occasional day out but not sure what sort of contribution we can rely on from him.
Needs to become a forward winger or vfl forward

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s important to remember that any promising season (that is, making the finals) that doesn’t result with the cup ends with a loss, which will always be disappointing.

Yes, our loss was *, but when you look at the other finalists they all went out in bad ways too except maybe Collingwood (who we beat by the way).

Would we prefer to be Melbourne, going out in straight sets? If they didn’t win the GF last year then this year would look like a complete disaster. Brisbane didn’t fair much better than we did. The others all went out in bad ways too. That’s the nature of finals, you feel * when you lose.

Brisbane are getting a HUGE boost tho they would be right to feel they are addressing their number one weakness in the midfield heading into 2023.

Problem is their coach is under a investigation so depending how that goes could derail everything.

Brisbane are getting a HUGE boost tho they would be right to feel they are addressing their number one weakness in the midfield heading into 2023.

Problem is their coach is under a investigation so depending how that goes could derail everything.

we don't know who we may trade in

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
As an outsider I will say you guys are my favourites for 2023. An abundance of young talent that will be a year older, a year more mature, a year stronger.

Two positive omens to maybe pick up your spirits:

1. Geelong got embarrassed in the game that eliminated them last year. It didn't break them. It made them better and look how they came back this year.

2. Again with Geelong, until yesterday they had 11 years of getting close and not quite crossing the line... 2023 is 11 years since your last premiership.

last year hewett and dawson left and we only added ladhams bar draftees, every other team was apparently improving and we weren't.

didn't happen that way mostly , so maybe we have more on our list than people think

we did see ronke early then clarke , fox guys who seemed like list cloggers take key roles

doesn't mean it happens again

but this ohh team x has this guy coming well until it happens who cares

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

… and I’m not sure “brand Buddy” would accept playing VFL.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
he's played better at the Scg , not cant play anywhere else

heeney is one of the most overrated in the league right now imo

still good but his reputation is higher than his output i know most won't agree
Don’t disagree, Heeney is a very talented good footballer. He is not a star and nowhere near a superstar and just as an aside has not one leadership bone in his body. 4 goal cameos every now and then will never ever represent that. He kicks 4 yesterday still would not have made an ounce of difference but people that have a clue are sick of seeing our so called superstar be MIA when we most need him to stand up and give us this glimmer of hope. Think Paul Kelly or Peter Bedford or Bob Skilton in the team’s they played in getting their arse handed to them. They were front and centre week in week out game in game out not giving an inch and making the opposition know if we are winning this’s we are going to have to beat this bastard too. That’s a star, that’s a superstar. So the ****ing media and starry eyed fans need to give it a ****ing rest with this guy. Warner is already a better player and Rowbottom all be it with a lack of Heeney’s talent is also more valuable to this clubs fortunes.

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
You correctly identified that he almost never looks capable low his knees anymore - for next season he is going to have to fly for everything. It’s not really his go

It’ll either be McDonald on the lead or Richmond scramble or midfielders. It’s hard to know what else
I reckon next year for tall forward positions it is McDonald playing the current Buddy role, then Amartey vs Reid as second ruck role and the Franklin vs McLean as key full forward.

I just can’t see Buddy having the agility to play down the ground (he was trim as this year but he was still very limited) and we can’t hold back McDonald anymore. He looked promising when Buddy wasn’t playing. He needs to have a crack at being the main man.

I hope Buddy can manage his ego as well as Kennedy did this year. He will have to find another level of team dedication I think, but if he can go there he will go out just not a champion player but a champion clubman.

I reckon Buddy should be bulking up in the off season.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
So half way through the last, managed to see the one s**t Geelong supporter in the whole stadium who drunkenly walked up to the back of Q52 yelling abuse at swans supporters and telling them to go home. I deserve a medal for not 'accidentally' bumping into him, sending him tumbling down about 50 steps.
I would have thrown the C u next Tuesday over the balcony.

Sure he was a Cat ? Sounds like a DOG to me.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Lloyd is a liability when oppos try and out muscle us. More often than not he'll fumble trying to avoid contact instead of winning the ball and taking the contact. He wilted in the heat yesterday
Very true. Gets very unsure of himself when that’s happening. Watching his indecision yesterday in row A at the city end had no idea at times where Stengle was when the ball was coming in. Has carved out a good career as a player over time but have always thought he is nowhere big or strong enough.

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
When we were obliterated in 2014, we could console ourselves with the fact that "nobody was beating Hawthorn that day".

It's a tough bloody pill to swallow to be saying that again.

I'm so worried about the psyche of this side.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
last year hewett and dawson left and we only added ladhams bar draftees, every other team was apparently improving and we weren't.

didn't happen that way mostly , so maybe we have more on our list than people think

we did see ronke early then clarke , fox guys who seemed like list cloggers take key roles

doesn't mean it happens again

but this ohh team x has this guy coming well until it happens who cares
Cunningham and Lewis Taylor are 2 who there should be no discussion over being let go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back