Prediction 2022 GWS Best 22 - your opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

The unusual lack of players leaving this offseason will make it harder for those coming through, but you’d expect Bruhn and Stone to almost share a spot... Bruhn getting the larger share

If Brown makes our Round 1 side I'd be completely shocked, there's multiple guys not even in the best 22 at his position who are better then him.
We might have thought the same of Idun 12 months ago.
Some of the young blokes need to make big steps and establish themselves. I’m predicting one will be Brown. He is a great athlete and has been on a steep upward trajectory.
Maybe a few players take big steps and there is hot competition for small and medium forward spots. Hopefully a goal every third game won’t cut it in 2022.

Brown did look exceptionally good when he played this year. I can definitely see him being comfortably in the best 22 by the end of next season.

B Idun Taylor Cumming
HB Ash Buckley Haynes
C Perryman Hopper Whitfield
HF Greene Himmleberg Taranto
F Hill Hogan Daniels
FOLL: Flynn Green Kelly
INTER: Coniglio, Ward,O’Hallaran, Briggs
Sub: Bruhn

Sure it’s a reach, however:
Daniels has kicked 7 goals in 29 games 2020/21. Not good enough. Should improve his tank and move to the midfield.
Hill doesn’t contribute enough. His highlights are outstanding, but needs to do more.
Lloyd is good, but a lesser version of Perryman, who I’d play forward ahead of him.
Cogs - if playing unfit or injured last season and his running power and kicking returns next season then of course he’s best 22. He’s had terrible injuries and sadly I have my doubts.
I think you are a little harsh here on Mainly Daniels. Yes he is often listed as a small forward but he spends most of his time higher up the ground. I suppose you need to be near the goals to impact them

Cumming Alleer Haynes
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Callaghan Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Green Hopper

Ward Perryman Stone Flynn

2s:
Peatling Davis Wehr
Fleeton Stein Fahey
Angwin Bruhn Ash
Brown Riccardi Brander
Lloyd Sproule Shaw

Briggs XOH DeBoer

Hamilton Keeffe Buckley Kennedy

NOT A BAD RESERVES TEAM!!!

Cumming Alleer Haynes
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Callaghan Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Green Hopper

Ward Perryman Stone Flynn

2s:
Peatling Davis Wehr
Fleeton Stein Fahey
Angwin Bruhn Ash
Brown Riccardi Brander
Lloyd Sproule Shaw

Briggs XOH DeBoer

Hamilton Keeffe Buckley Kennedy

NOT A BAD RESERVES TEAM!!!
Id find room for Ash, Bruhn and Davis.
Nice problem to have

AFL 2022 Round 1 teams, AFL draft 2021: Recruits most likely to debut in Round 1 at every club (foxsports.com.au)

GWS GIANTS

Don’t be surprised if the Giants’ two first-round picks are right in the Round 1 mix. Finn Callaghan is a great size for the modern-day midfielder (191cm, 86kg) yet also has terrific composure and an efficient left foot. If he has a strong pre-season, he’ll be hard to ignore before Round 1 – as will first-round draft bolter Leek Aleer, who was the first mature-age player picked up in the draft. A 20-year-old 195cm key defender, Aleer rocketed up club draft boards as he impressed across 11 SANFL league games with his athleticism and high marking. The Giants specifically targeted a key defender to fill a need, so Aleer would have to be considered for Round 1. Medium defenders Josh Fahey and Cooper Hamilton can’t be discounted either – especially Hamilton, who’s a lovely size (184cm, 83kg) and possesses elite running capacity and overhead marking skills.

Personally, I can only see Callaghan and Aleer as likely - we have plenty of medium defenders. I'm sure we'll be keen to put Callaghan's speed and effective kicking to good use - if he has a good pre-season. Aleer would be dependent on how Phil Davis looks in pre-season, particularly Keeffe and Buckley will still be out.

AFL 2022 Round 1 teams, AFL draft 2021: Recruits most likely to debut in Round 1 at every club (foxsports.com.au)

GWS GIANTS

Don’t be surprised if the Giants’ two first-round picks are right in the Round 1 mix. Finn Callaghan is a great size for the modern-day midfielder (191cm, 86kg) yet also has terrific composure and an efficient left foot. If he has a strong pre-season, he’ll be hard to ignore before Round 1 – as will first-round draft bolter Leek Aleer, who was the first mature-age player picked up in the draft. A 20-year-old 195cm key defender, Aleer rocketed up club draft boards as he impressed across 11 SANFL league games with his athleticism and high marking. The Giants specifically targeted a key defender to fill a need, so Aleer would have to be considered for Round 1. Medium defenders Josh Fahey and Cooper Hamilton can’t be discounted either – especially Hamilton, who’s a lovely size (184cm, 83kg) and possesses elite running capacity and overhead marking skills.

Personally, I can only see Callaghan and Aleer as likely - we have plenty of medium defenders. I'm sure we'll be keen to put Callaghan's speed and effective kicking to good use - if he has a good pre-season. Aleer would be dependent on how Phil Davis looks in pre-season, particularly Keeffe and Buckley will still be out.
Does anybody think they will try to play Finn as a forward, at least with Greene out for the first 5 weeks. Or is he not really suited as a forward?

Early season best 22 dependant on pre season form

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Perryman
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Taranto HH Daniels
Hill Hogan Bruhn
Flynn Hopper Green
Coniglio Ash Briggs XOH

I can see the 2 rucks in the 22 and Preuss is just as likely as the others which makes it hard for Sproule, Brander and Riccardi to get in unless they can relief ruck although they will get opportunities with Hogan not likely to play the 22 game season and he could be the difference in finals. Plenty of options for the last bench spot with Kennedy, MDB, Stone and Lloyd options also. Hard to position Coniglio but he will be in the 22 and with a strong pre season he could swap into the 18 with Green moving to the bench or forward flank

Greene and Buckley the only players I can see out of this team as without seeing how the players are the last couple of spots are hard to place at this stage of the season

Early season best 22 dependant on pre season form

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Perryman
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Taranto HH Daniels
Hill Hogan Bruhn
Flynn Hopper Green
Coniglio Ash Briggs XOH

I can see the 2 rucks in the 22 and Preuss is just as likely as the others which makes it hard for Sproule, Brander and Riccardi to get in unless they can relief ruck although they will get opportunities with Hogan not likely to play the 22 game season and he could be the difference in finals. Plenty of options for the last bench spot with Kennedy, MDB, Stone and Lloyd options also. Hard to position Coniglio but he will be in the 22 and with a strong pre season he could swap into the 18 with Green moving to the bench or forward flank

Greene and Buckley the only players I can see out of this team as without seeing how the players are the last couple of spots are hard to place at this stage of the season
After losing a lot of depth for a few years it’s nice to see some battles for positions emerging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After losing a lot of depth for a few years it’s nice to see some battles for positions emerging
A few guys that have been main stays in the side for a few years are really going to be pushed for their spot this year, this team is going to be so hard to pick. There's a probably around 30 guys on the list that you'd feel comfortable getting a game, think we're set up so well.

Depth in positions is improving but I see the issue being the development lost and also those games played leaving, for example Caldwell 2 years of development and 10 games replaced by someone needing at least a year to be ready to play afl and 0 games played
That is why I would have been a fan of picking up a experienced player like Hanrahan or Lockhart in the rookie draft
But I am of the view that it takes a few years at least before fully evaluating the drafted players and how clubs went

Does anybody think they will try to play Finn as a forward, at least with Greene out for the first 5 weeks. Or is he not really suited as a forward?
He's got plenty of traits that would suit, but he's the type that you want up the field delivering to our forwards given his kicking profiency, I'd think we stick with Bruhn in a similar role and rotate some of our better marking mids like Taranto and Watd through there.

This was my side to start 2022 posted earlier in the thread before the draft:

Ash Taylor Davis/Buckley
Cumming Haynes Perryman
Whitfield Green Kelly
Taranto Himmelberg Greene
Daniels Hogan Flynn
Briggs Hopper Coniglio

IC: Idun Ward Bruhn/XOH Hill/Stone

I still don't believe that draftees go straight into a best 22, so I don't have changes.

But, Davis certainly comes with an * on him now. I still think - like others - that Davis starts the year as best 22. But if Aleer has a blinder in pre-season (which is possible given his SANFL time) and Davis struggles or has an injury, then Aleer could take that spot at the beginning of the year. I still like what Buckley did last year, and he will be right in the fight for that second KPD spot too once he recovers. Good place for the backline to be.

I am concerned what the last two years have done to the draftees' development, so even though Callaghan went #3, he might not be ready to go. However, where I have Bruhn/XOH, there was a good chance both would be there given Greene needs replacement for the first five games. So Callaghan might have a shot at a bench spot at XOH's expense should he look the goods in pre-season.

Hogan remains iffy with his body, so Stone I think would be in the frame to be cover for him, along with Brander and Riccardi.

We have a decent amount of depth, so looking forward to a good year and seeing what all the boys can do.

BKL
Idun, Taylor, Davis
Perryman, Cumming, Whitfield

MID
Taranto, Hopper, Preuss
Ash, Cogs, Green

FWD
Greene (Stone), Bobby, Daniels
Brander, Hogan, Himmelberg

Int
Ward, Bruhn, Haynes, Kelly

EMG
Kennedy, Riccardi, XO, Flynn

*No Rookies here....but my hope would be once we see what they are capable of...Leek and Finn make their way into the team for whoever gets hurt.
I've played one ruck to start. Brander for a different look and pace in our forward line. It's going to be hard to play Hogan and two rucks in my opinion.
Hit me with your thoughts.

BKL
Idun, Taylor, Davis

MID
Taranto, Hopper, Preuss
Ash, Cogs, Green

FWD

Int

EMG

*No Rookies here....but my hope would be once we see what they are capable of...Leek and Finn make their way into the team for whoever gets hurt.
I've played one ruck to start. Brander for a different look and pace in our forward line. It's going to be hard to play Hogan and two rucks in my opinion.
I reckon that’s spot on list wise except for the second ruck .... needFlynn

I reckon that’s spot on list wise except for the second ruck .... needFlynn
Second Ruck may be required at times and I think Flynn is next in. Pretty handy forward from time to time too. Not sure who is drop out of that list though.
Bruhn or Cogs.....and I'm not willing ATM coz on current form I'd be dropping cogs ...again.
Surprisingly Spoule actually filled that second ruck role pretty well last year. We don't have a tall forward option that can do that.
Very excited to see what Preuss can do with our mids.

BKL
Idun, Taylor, Davis

MID
Taranto, Hopper, Preuss
Ash, Cogs, Green

FWD

Int

EMG

Yet again Preuss miraculously assuming the #1 ruck spot based precisely on.......I'm not sure.

Looking angry like Mummy?

Yet again Preuss miraculously assuming the #1 ruck spot based precisely on.......I'm not sure.

Looking angry like Mummy?

It's hard to say who our #1 ruck will be but I have Preuss in that spot. From what I've seen of him in the past he's a much better tap ruckman than anyone else that we have. That's something our midfield sorely needs. He's trained with two of the best ruckmen in the game in Gawn and Goldstein. The only thing that kept him out last year was injuries.

Our only other options are Flynn, who is much better off as a second ruck/forward or Briggs who in my opinion has a number of deficiencies in his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back