Prediction 2022 GWS Best 22 - your opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet again Preuss miraculously assuming the #1 ruck spot based precisely on.......I'm not sure.

Looking angry like Mummy?
Having been recruited for precisely that purpose. And the preseason reports we got from before he was injured this year was that the midfield were loving his tap work.

Also look at how often we played Mumford over Flynn and Briggs last year. Clearly Leon isn't confident they are up to the standard.

I think it's a pretty standard choice and one we will see if he stop with the freak gym injuries.

Preuss hasn’t played a game for us yet and he has been here a year.
Flynn and Briggs are ahead of him at this stage in my opinion.
I have a feeling it won’t be the same opinion as Leon but who knows.
He hasn't played through injury, not selection. Last year they were trying very hard to get him back in before our finals run.
Could be huge for our midfield this year, Flynn and Briggs we have seen and it hasn't unlocked a whole bunch.

He hasn't played through injury, not selection. Last year they were trying very hard to get him back in before our finals run.
Could be huge for our midfield this year, Flynn and Briggs we have seen and it hasn't unlocked a whole bunch.
He has shown nothing yet. All talk with regards to preseasons.
no doubt trying to get him back as we had an old man and a rookie only left with Flynn out.
Flynn and Briggs did nothing wrong and were quite good.
Leon has a love for Mummy, no doubt.

A few teams seemed to be interested in Flynn/Briggs both still have time to improve. I thought both were reasonable last year, including as forwards.
I think when hogan isn't fit we play definitely play two ruckmen.

A few teams seemed to be interested in Flynn/Briggs both still have time to improve. I thought both were reasonable last year, including as forwards.
I think when hogan isn't fit we play definitely play two ruckmen.
Yeah I agree. When Hogan is out is opens up an opportunity for one of them to play duel ruck.
I don't see us playing duel ruck with Hogan in though, and we lack a forward who can play as a second ruckman.
If we were playing Riccardi I can see a duel ruck combo working.

He has shown nothing yet. All talk with regards to preseasons.
no doubt trying to get him back as we had an old man and a rookie only left with Flynn out.
Flynn and Briggs did nothing wrong and were quite good.
Leon has a love for Mummy, no doubt.
Training and preseason + reports from the club are legitimately all we have to go off...and they all point to him being the no 1 choice.
It's a best 22. He's the starting ruckman for me it for me at this stage. If he's trash for 5 weeks straight, sure, bring in Flynn and Briggs. But this is someone who we recruited specifically for this role, so play him.

Training and preseason + reports from the club are legitimately all we have to go off...and they all point to him being the no 1 choice.
It's a best 22. He's the starting ruckman for me it for me at this stage. If he's trash for 5 weeks straight, sure, bring in Flynn and Briggs. But this is someone who we recruited specifically for this role, so play him.

completely disagree.No guarantees in this world.
Every club says that every player is training the house down in pre-season.

I don't recall that he was recruited/earmarked for the #1 ruck spot - more that he's there to add extra depth in that position and it's up to him to fight it out with the other contenders.

Must admit he really didn't float my boat as a ruckman when at North but appreciate that players improve over time and he's still barely played any footy. We'll see.

I did however think he was a dangerous forward when shifted there for his spell periods so he has that in his arsenal.

completely disagree.No guarantees in this world.
Every club says that every player is training the house down in pre-season.
Yeah doi!
Sproule COULD be our best available ruck round one, I COULD be struck by lightning and develop super powers.
What I'm saying is....I think he's the best fit, we certainly didn't recruit him to play 2s did we. I think he was certainly recruited for the no 1 spot. Other boys are undersized (I don't dislike either btw)
What we haven't seen is exactly why we will play him round 1 if available.

Should be Briggs job until he loses it imo, unless he's clearly outplayed by Preuss throughout the preseason he'd be the one I'd play. Flynn should be best 22 as a supporting ruck and a third tall forward.
Interesting. Who you leaving out to play two Rucks? No Brander/Ricca? Losing Bruhn in the mid?
I like seeing how people balance their teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Who you leaving out to play two Rucks? No Brander/Ricca? Losing Bruhn in the mid?
I like seeing how people balance their teams.
Brander/Ricca I wouldn't have any issues leaving out unless we see some development from them that warrants playing them over Flynn, Flynn has shown flashes of being a good forward while also being more then just a pinch hit ruckmen.

Preuss will be the starting ruck in round 1. What a waste of this gun midfield group it would be to waste it with a young developing ruck who can’t run out a game or a mobile ruck whose weakest point is their tap work.

Preuss was recruited to play first ruck and that’s where he would have played this year without injury.

Preuss will be the starting ruck in round 1. What a waste of this gun midfield group it would be to waste it with a young developing ruck who can’t run out a game or a mobile ruck whose weakest point is their tap work.

Preuss was recruited to play first ruck and that’s where he would have played this year without injury.
What do you mean waste of midfield group? Our midfield was one of the top teams in the competition for contested ball and clearances last year I'm not sure how thats anything but a successful year for that positional group. Many point to Preuss being a better tap ruckmen then Briggs but I'm not sure if that's exactly true, sure he's a bit taller but he's defintely worse then Briggs around the contest who is a much better tackler (one of the best for ruckmen) while also having really good follow up work in the contest. I think they each of their pros and cons and I don't think it's fair to say either of them is notably better then the other, I'd like to give Briggs a go he showed last year that he can play really well and that was only his first year playing but would understand if Preuss is clearly better in preseason then he should get the nod for Round 1.

How do you guys see our 22 for the first 5 rounds before Toby returns?
I think generally the board views Stone as the likely Toby replacement for the first 5 weeks and then how well he plays in that opportunity will give us a good scope for how much time he's going to play this year. We probably all agree on around 18 players but it's those last few spots to fill in where most of the debate is, although the side is young it's also pretty established at this point with most of the conversation being around the ruck/3rd tall up fwd and maybe a couple spots on the bench.

The feel is that the ruck spots are open for auditions through the preseason which is ideal..
Pruess has shhow at his best he can be an influencial player but he is no more an established ruck than the two homegrown players.
Pruess 18 games
Flynn 12 games
Briggs 5 games
I haven't looked it up but wouldn't be surprised if Flynn has played more games as the number 1 ruck than Pruess.

I like the audition scenario personally

My best 22 for Round 1:

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Ash
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Taranto HH Daniels
Hill Hogan Coniglio
Flynn Hopper Green

Bruhn Perryman Brander XOH
Like it .... a lot!
2 questions: 1 who chops out for Flynn
2 Brander hasnt earned a spot over Stone as far as I can see

Like it .... a lot!
2 questions: 1 who chops out for Flynn
2 Brander hasnt earned a spot over Stone as far as I can see
Himmelberg

I'd like to see Flynn/Preuss combination being worked into action eventually.

My bold prediction is that Brander is going to have a great preseason and break into the side for round 1.

Stone and XOH to fight for that last spot. I really like both, but don't see them both being named.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back