My best 22 for Round 1:

Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Ash
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Taranto HH Daniels
Hill Hogan Coniglio
Flynn Hopper Green

Bruhn Perryman Brander XOH

Not sure if Flynn as a solo ruck is his ideal role, limits his ability to go forward and be a good target. Although he's a good ruck, what makes him valuable is his ability to do both and as a solo ruck he's not able to do that unless Brander shows off more ruck ability then what we've seen. I know it's tough to fit all our mids in the best 22 but I see Cogs is placed as a forward pocket is that the role you'd want him to play or is he just lined up there for the sake of fitting him in the line up? Think we're all in agreeance in the first 19 or so spots it's those last couple where we all diverge a bit.

Not sure if Flynn as a solo ruck is his ideal role, limits his ability to go forward and be a good target. Although he's a good ruck, what makes him valuable is his ability to do both and as a solo ruck he's not able to do that unless Brander shows off more ruck ability then what we've seen. I know it's tough to fit all our mids in the best 22 but I see Cogs is placed as a forward pocket is that the role you'd want him to play or is he just lined up there for the sake of fitting him in the line up? Think we're all in agreeance in the first 19 or so spots it's those last couple where we all diverge a bit.
I mostly did it to fit him in, but I do see both Taranto and Cogs playing a bit of forward this year.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I mostly did it to fit him in, but I do see both Taranto and Cogs playing a bit of forward this year.
Yeah I think that's fair especially early on with Toby out but I'd expect him to be a midfielder spending most of his time up forward mainly due to rest.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah good call, with Daniels and Hill going off at times and Daniels finding some sparky mid minutes we will be resting/rotating mids through the forward line big time.
I really like your lineup. Strong. I agree with the Brander experiment and given Stones size and ability it will be a great contest to see who can hold their spot. (Toby's absence early will give Stone that extra spot).
Ruck wise I think we shall see, who can come in and help out either Preuss or Flynn if we play a single ruck...not sure at this point.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah good call, with Daniels and Hill going off at times and Daniels finding some sparky mid minutes we will be resting/rotating mids through the forward line big time.
I really like your lineup. Strong. I agree with the Brander experiment and given Stones size and ability it will be a great contest to see who can hold their spot. (Toby's absence early will give Stone that extra spot).
Ruck wise I think we shall see, who can come in and help out either Preuss or Flynn if we play a single ruck...not sure at this point.
Would love to see Bruhn pick up a bit of Daniels' mid time from last year, at times last year Daniel was playing primarily as a midfielder and I think if Bruhns ready to take on a bigger workload he offers a similar level of speed and ball use and Daniels' pressure can be utilised up forward.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Would love to see Bruhn pick up a bit of Daniels' mid time from last year, at times last year Daniel was playing primarily as a midfielder and I think if Bruhns ready to take on a bigger workload he offers a similar level of speed and ball use and Daniels' pressure can be utilised up forward.
Agree with that big time. Interesting to see both Bruhn and Ash prefer those mid/following roles in the midfield. Hard
Agreed. I think Ash and Bruhn both prefer to play midfield minutes following the action. Always good for young fast players with good skills.
But is it ideal long term? I agree that Bruhn is mid talent and gives us a different look. I still would persist with Ash as a Whitfield like defender.
Next year is gonna be so good for the Giants. We have a LOT of talent. Green could explode. Leek and Callaghan will be huge.
Can't wait

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
Hi folks,
Is Jake Stein likely to see any early games?
Cheers.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
True but I would expect them to play Stone over Brander as the 22nd player
I'm not sure if a decision would come to down to those two, because depending on which one you pick it likely changes your structure. If we see Stone take a bit of a leap and looks capable of playing within the best 22 I'd feel pretty comfortable in him having a spot for the first 5 weeks at least before Toby comes back.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not sure if a decision would come to down to those two, because depending on which one you pick it likely changes your structure. If we see Stone take a bit of a leap and looks capable of playing within the best 22 I'd feel pretty comfortable in him having a spot for the first 5 weeks at least before Toby comes back.
Yeah I agree with this. He's like for like for Toby style wise (hybrid mid/forward). He's a decent size though at 6'3 (190). So not an awful option to take that spot most will assume Brander will take.
We will get a great idea of how the coaches see them both slotting in in the pre season games.
We really need some more options in our forward half next year so let's hope Brander is a revelation. Stone showed great touch in the forward half last year and I reckon he will carve out a spot in the team somehow.

XO and Lloyd I think will end up being omitted a fair amount next year.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
B: Haynes - S.Taylor - Idun

HB: Cummings - Buckley - Whitfield (L.Ash)

C: Ward - Taranto - Perryman (Bruhn)

HF: T.Greene(XOH) - HH - Coniglio

F: Deboer - Hogan - I.Hill (Daniels)

R: FP/B- Hopper - J.Kelly (T.Green)

Last edited by a moderator:

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
B: Haynes - S.Taylor - Idun

HB: Cummings - Buckley - Whitfield (L.Ash)

C: Ward - Taranto - Perryman (Bruhn)

HF: T.Greene(XOH) - HH - Coniglio

F: Deboer - Hogan - I.Hill (Daniels)

R: FP/B- Hopper - J.Kelly (T.Green)
I like the names. Not sure about positions of XO/DeBoer forward and Perryman in the Midfield. Perryman was pretty handy as a crafty forward, but I still think he'll be utilised in the back line.
XO/DeBoer I think will really struggle to make it into the team if we aren't injured.
Buckley is still a way away with the ACL I think.
You've omitted a ruckman...which if Leon can't put Mummy in....is probably a chance to happen 😅

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I like the names. Not sure about positions of XO/DeBoer forward and Perryman in the Midfield. Perryman was pretty handy as a crafty forward, but I still think he'll be utilised in the back line.

XO/DeBoer I think will really struggle to make it into the team if we aren't injured.

Buckley is still a way away with the ACL I think.

You've omitted a ruckan...which if Leon can't put Mummy in....is probably a chance o happen 

Perryman and L.Ash are interchangeable

Yeh look early without T.Greene I think it could be a chance to pick 2 of Flynn, Preuss, Briggs and pick just 1 of Deboer, XOH or Lloyd

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Perryman and L.Ash are interchangeable

Yeh look early without T.Greene I think it could be a chance to pick 2 of Flynn, Preuss, Briggs and pick just 1 of Deboer, XOH or Lloyd
Connor Stone a big chance to take that spot as well, he's a great looking hybrid forward that probably puts more focus on the future rather than Lloyd or DeBoer

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
One player I’m interested in seeing more of this year - Jimmy Peatling. A player who is quick, agile, takes hangars, is courageous, is a good kick… end up playing lots of AFL… and often become stars.
He could easily play in our forward line too. He would be such a threat up there.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
One player I’m interested in seeing more of this year - Jimmy Peatling. A player who is quick, agile, takes hangars, is courageous, is a good kick… end up playing lots of AFL… and often become stars.
He could easily play in our forward line too. He would be such a threat up there.
I believe he played as a forward at times for the VFL team before being picked up midseason, his speed, energy and good ball use could translate well up forward.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I believe he played as a forward at times for the VFL team before being picked up midseason, his speed, energy and good ball use could translate well up forward.
Yeah, he was definitely a small forward in his U18 & U19 year. Went back probably during U19s IIRC, but certainly during the VFL year. He might translate well up front ... if he can kick goals. Reckon he'd pressure, assist & run well there.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, he was definitely a small forward in his U18 & U19 year. Went back probably during U19s IIRC, but certainly during the VFL year. He might translate well up front ... if he can kick goals. Reckon he'd pressure, assist & run well there.
Think we have enough of his type down back, if he can trasnlate his game to be a capable small forward I think there's probably more opportunity there for him.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Think we have enough of his type down back, if he can trasnlate his game to be a capable small forward I think there's probably more opportunity there for him.
Right now, absolutely. If he's flexible enough, he might get opportunity there later. But definitely more chances up front at the start of this season.

Blue train 28

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor perryman
Whitfield Taranto Ash
Cogs Hogan Toby G
Sprouted himmleberg Daniels
Preuss hopper kelly
Bench
Ward
Tom G
Stein
Bobby Hill
This team bats deep and no doubt there will be changes to think
Bruhn
Callaghan
Stone
X man
De boer
Buckley Acl?
And Keffe depending on Acl?
Can come in is great depth. A lot of this will change come game day for sure. I think Tom greene is going to explode on and be a starting mid!

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Idun Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor perryman
Whitfield Taranto Ash
Cogs Hogan Toby G
Sprouted himmleberg Daniels
Preuss hopper kelly
Bench
Ward
Tom G
Stein
Bobby Hill
This team bats deep and no doubt there will be changes to think
Bruhn
Callaghan
Stone
X man
De boer
Buckley Acl?
And Keffe depending on Acl?
Can come in is great depth. A lot of this will change come game day for sure. I think Tom greene is going to explode on and be a starting mid!
Tom Green as well

Back