List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does Bruhn want to leave the club? Not happy in the environment or is chasing more cash than the Giants strained cap allows?

He strikes me as a must sign. Total gun on the rise.

Watch the draft video, family ensconced in Geelong. He would tolerate any of the Melbourne clubs but anywhere else a bridge too far. Probably would take a figure like Clarkson to get him to buy in.

He’s a classic example of why the combination of 60% draftable talent plus drafting age plus only 2 year mandatory contract works against the interstate clubs. They keep talking about changing it but honestly the big Melbourne clubs are quite happy to leave it where it is.

I still don't get it. You've been able to retain heaps of Vics. Lot of them very attached to their families. Not sure why Tanner any different?

The draft video I don't think meant anything. He explained that in his Emma Quayle podcast interview.

And you probably bought it like our recruiters did when they interviewed him. The managers give them a script, only a handful risk going against that (Wingard/Smith/Perkins).

Bruhn’s Manager generally gets his clients to at least do a second contract and then see if they still want to go home but there are exceptions.

He’s shown some very nice glimpses and can definitely be a good player. I think if he was fully settled and had a coach he believed in he can be a nice Taylor Adams style contributor.

If anything less than a mid first rounder is offered I’d send him to the draft. We don’t need to accumulate 2nd rounders for one and done players.

Not saying it may not be true but the article on Bruhn looks like a filler piece and time will tell and i will be disappointed if he leaves but it does allow the cap room to retain or recruit
It will be interesting to see what the clubs offer to him is as the days of 400k for 2nd contracts are gone and it could be he is waiting to see if he has a form spike to justify a contract bump or he could just want to go back to Geelong. If he does leave it is more evidence of the need for longer contracts for 1st rd draftees and although it wont happen overnight hopefully the clubs can push for it

Agree with the man of fridges, that was a filler piece and nothing has changed with Bruhn from his stated position earlier in the year

Hey folks! Sorry for the intrusion. I come in peace. As said here, it’s very likely Bruhn is gone. Whilst there’s been nothing concrete at all, it seems Geelong are the front runner for his services. I don’t think this says too much, but he follows our club on his Insta. If we offered our first pick this year (likely to be around 15), would you guys believe that to be fair compensation?

Hey folks! Sorry for the intrusion. I come in peace. As said here, it’s very likely Bruhn is gone. Whilst there’s been nothing concrete at all, it seems Geelong are the front runner for his services. I don’t think this says too much, but he follows our club on his Insta. If we offered our first pick this year (likely to be around 15), would you guys believe that to be fair compensation?
While nothing really compensates for losing a gun having put 2 years development into him, it would be hard to argue a pick around there isn't in the ballpark.

You'll forgive us though, I'm sure, if we barrack against Geelong for the rest of this season in the hopes that the pick is as early as possible!

Geelong not the frontrunner.

If your a Giants player you would surely wait til the new coach was appointed before deciding. I would understand the cap space for Taranto but if I were Bruhn I’d wait until the next contract, esp when you look a how Caldwell is doing at Essendon. The Giants need to get him a girlfriend.
Also the irony of all is that if you leave the Giants to chase a premiership medal I think that the only player who has done it is Jacob Townsend… are their others?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your a Giants player you would surely wait til the new coach was appointed before deciding. I would understand the cap space for Taranto but if I were Bruhn I’d wait until the next contract, esp when you look a how Caldwell is doing at Essendon. The Giants need to get him a girlfriend.
Also the irony of all is that if you leave the Giants to chase a premiership medal I think that the only player who has done it is Jacob Townsend… are their others?
It makes perfect sense for any giants player to not re-sign without knowing who the new coach is

I reckon Clarko would be getting the endorsement of the AFL in coming to us 😉. They have too much money invested to not have someone like him here to continue to raise our profile.

I agree and I can’t believe it’s not already done, I guess McLaughlin leaving and focusing on TV deal and Tassie hasn’t helped.

GWS is at a T junction, make the wrong call and the franchise goes wrong. A generation of talent goes to waste and the club becomes a basket case.

Get it right and the club becomes a powerhouse not dissimilar to the Melbourne Storm.

I agree and I can’t believe it’s not already done, I guess McLaughlin leaving and focusing on TV deal and Tassie hasn’t helped.

GWS is at a T junction, make the wrong call and the franchise goes wrong. A generation of talent goes to waste and the club becomes a basket case.

Get it right and the club becomes a powerhouse not dissimilar to the Melbourne Storm.
100% agree. I hope the club leaders realise how big this decision is.

As some are saying, water yet to go under the bridge in respect of stay/go decisions, but I am pessimistic given some of the public statements and whispers when compared to what we've seen/heard in the past.

However, if we do lose Taranto and Bruhn, it's an opportunity to replenish our midfield stocks with guys who have greater burst from contest, and also kicking skills.

I'd still love Sheezel as a medium forward who's similar in skills to Toby and could run through the midfield, but he could either be gone earlier than our pick, or might be considered too much of a flight risk.

But there's others whose skills we could use: Hewett from WA is a good early midfield option with running capacity and skills, who can also kick a goal. (Just played a great game against Vic Metro.) However, Eagles may well be angling for him early as a local (but may go for someone like the Victorian Wardlaw who's probably rated higher).

Mattaes Phillipou is another prospect. A SA lad, at 192cm or so, playing initially as a medium forward but has showed good midfield potential recently with a good mixture of speed, dexterity and aerial skills. Again, Adelaide will be eyeing him off (but Lemmey & Scully too).

Cam Mackenzie as a running mid is another prospect likely to be early to mid teens; and I still like Charlie Clarke as a medium forward who should be available in the early 20s (with other options such as Tasmania's Seth Campbell, Vic Country's Jacob Konstanty). Bailey Humphrey is another running mid who can play forward and score, while Brayden George is another goal-kicking medium forward likely to be available mid-teens.

Providing we get decent returns in the early to mid teens, there are definitely options available for us who could work well with a revised, running gameplan. And we'd also want to spend a pick on one of the KPFs available - but there's a few in contention, with Matthew Jefferson the latest to announce himself with 7 goals in the U18 Championship game against a strong WA side.

I'm sure PMBangers can fill in more details, particularly after watching today's game. As always, these kids aren't going to come in and make an instant impact, but certainly capable of adding value over the next few years - providing we can keep them. That seems to be our second biggest impediment after our injury list.

Bailey Humphrey is another running mid who can play forward and score
I don't think he'd fit us well, if people here get frustrated with Taranto then Humphrey is going to bring much of the same angst; hard at it contested bull that impacts forward but has some poor moments by foot
Mattaes Phillipou
If we don't go tall and Sheezel is gone, then Phillipou is probably the early selection we'd benefit from the most, creative forward half player with strong aerial presence and neat kicking, and as always, huge benefit is he hits the scoreboard

So assuming TT and tanner go…

My list needs are a star small and a key forward. Derkson might be the forward but I haven’t seen him play yet

Someone like a rachelle/weightman/Higgins

They are first round smalls and make an instant impact

So assuming TT and tanner go…

My list needs are a star small and a key forward. Derkson might be the forward but I haven’t seen him play yet

Someone like a rachelle/weightman/Higgins

They are first round smalls and make an instant impact
So, presuming we finish where we are (pick #6), and if TT and Tanner go, we pick up something around #10-12 and #15-17, the options you find are:
  • Harry Sheezel (Vic M) - medium (184cm) forward who will kick lots of goals & can have bursts through the midfield; but likely gone before our pick, and could also be a flight risk
  • Brayden George (Vic C) - medium (185cm) forward who's injured at present so no U18 Championship showing, but considered an early to mid teens pick
  • Jacob Konstanty (Vic C) - small (176cm) forward who can pressure & kick goals, late teens/early 20s pick
  • Charlie Clarke (Vic M) - medium (182cm) forward who can kick goals; considered anywhere from early 20s to late 30s pick
I think any of those could impact straight away. There's also a tall forward/midfielder in Mattaes Phillipou (SA), listed variously between 190cm & 192 cm, who's got some pace and evasion skills, who could be an alternative option in the top 10.

There are a number of tall forwards in this draft, whose actual goal scoring prowess has been less prolific, but are considered to show good promise.
  • Isaac Keeler (SA) - 197cm forward/ruck
  • Aaron Cadman (Vic C) - 194cm forward, strongly built but smaller goal hauls
  • Matthew Jefferson (Vic M) - 195cm forward, lighter build generally smaller goal hauls until 7 goals against WA last weekend
  • Harry Lemmey (SA) - 199cm strongly built forward, considered the top pick at the start of the season, but hasn't performed this year yet.
So, with those potential numbers in mind, there's various options for GWS to select the types you've identified - the question is who will be the best in the long run of their career and can our team pick the optimal combination?

I dont know why we havent looked at other clubs 21-23 year olds who are on the fringe but fill a need for us. Somebody with a slightly more mature head who can handle living away from mum and their school mates. Cheap salary wise too.

I dont know why we havent looked at other clubs 21-23 year olds who are on the fringe but fill a need for us. Somebody with a slightly more mature head who can handle living away from mum and their school mates. Cheap salary wise too.
I suspect we have, and few of them want to live in Sydney with the cost of living.

Is there a player (or players) you have in mind that you think fits the category?

I suspect we have, and few of them want to live in Sydney with the cost of living.

Is there a player (or players) you have in mind that you think fits the category?

No one in particular but if we continue keep losing 20 year olds after 2 seasons the method needs to change. The initial Breakfast Point setup likely helped with retention early days but things seemed to have changed lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back