List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL trade period 2022: GWS Giants could move for North Melbourne pick 1 after Jason Horne-Francis deal

JON RALPH

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

06 OCTOBER 2022

North Melbourne’s three-way deal that would hand the Roos the top two picks in the national draft could see it considering trading the No. 1 overall pick in this November’s national draft.

The Roos are open to offers on the No. 1 overall pick and with the Giants keen on key position players 194cm marking forward Aaron Cadman shapes as their ideal target.

The Giants are known to be keen to secure Vic Country’s Cadman given their determination to boost their key position stocks, with the rangy forward compared to a young Jeremy Cameron by many recruiters.

Some recruiters believe the Giants are keen to ensure they have access to Cadman even if it requires GWS to hand over multiple picks, with GWS currently holding picks three, 12, 15 and 19.

Such a deal could see the Roos falling back from picks one and two to No. 2 and No. 3 but also securing pick 12 or 15 from GWS.

North Melbourne has the option of considering options all the way up to November’s draft as it assesses its own draft order through that period.

But securing the first pair of selections would give it undoubted bargaining power, especially if it did not have Cadman as its No. 1 player on the draft board.

Players like explosive centre square mid George Wardlaw and Sandringham Dragons mid-forward Harry Sheezel would still be on the board if it allowed GWS to secure Cadman.

North Melbourne premiership player David King said on Fox Footy the Roos had to take a tall-small combo if they secured in the first two picks after overlooking Logan McDonald for Will Phillips two years ago.

First the Roos must clinch the deal to secure West Coast’s No. 2 selection as part of a three-way trade with the Power and Eagles.

Port Adelaide quickly swatted away Eagles interest in contracted star Dan Houston on Thursday, but all parties believe there is enough goodwill ahead of talks this weekend to broker a deal.

North Melbourne would secure West Coast’s No. 2 overall pick, Port Adelaide would hand over pick 8 and its future first-rounder to the Eagles and the Power would get Jason Horne-Francis.

At this stage neither club is happy with the finer details of the deal and Port Adelaide would clearly have to sacrifice extra picks including No. 33 to throw Eagle Willie Rioli into the deal.

But West Coast has players later in the top 10 of the draft including WA locals Elijah Hewett and Reuben Ginbey that it could select before taking another local player next year with the Port Adelaide future first-round pick.

3 + 12 or 15 think I'd do that, would feel pretty good about doing it for 15 but think you'd be able to talk me into doing it for 12 as well. We just have so many picks coming in that I feel fine throwing away a mid teens pick (while we still have 2 more top 20 picks) to get our top target. Have at least 2 firsts next year and decent chance at Geelongs as well, one mid teens pick just donesn't hold as much value when we like 5 other picks in the same range over the next 2 drafts.

Think you're galaxy braining it maybe a bit too much or maybe you're not we have no idea but I think Cadman's resume stands on it's own, he's the best KPF prospect in this draft and probably a tier clear of anyone else at his position, it's a super valuable position and it's a position of need for us and also as the days go by it seems like he's going to be the first live pick in the draft and if we're not there at 1 to get him it seems like we're not going to be able to.
You not worried he might want to go to geelong after 2 years when Hawkins retires ?
from ballarat (mentioned on televison today) ;)

You not worried he might want to go to geelong after 2 years when Hawkins retires ?
from ballarat (mentioned on televison today) ;)
Trouble for us is they are usually a chance of heading somewhere home. He would seem less likely than Sheezel. We should try to get West Coast’s pick of North aren’t interested. If we get either Cadman or Wardlaw I’d be happy.

That was actually my point ... to Geelong. If the Cats want to play hard-ball let us do the same.
Imagine if you were Tanner. You've picked Geelong now.
Now Geelong are gonna * around with the trade when it's clearly a very simple future first selection.
I still think it gets done.
But Bruhn would be a little nervy...
I don't think many players wanna do the whole preseason draft thing.

I'd be be giving Geelong hell and getting Pick 7 from them for Tanner. They got 7 for nothing, it's a free hit for them. You have plenty of ammo in picks to make it work. Not sure what's happening with Hopper but you could gain more picks there too if needed. It's not a bad position to be in.

Could we see a mega trade Port, Norf, GWS, Geelong, Tigers, WCE? 😋

All the best!

Was hoping for the future first but guess it isn't that big of a deal, would've been nice for there to be some upside in the pick and spread it our a bit more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you guys are all in for Cadman now
Well...I don't think it matters if we are 'all in'. If North or West Coast want him...we screwed.
I get the feeling there might be another trade coming that we are stacking picks for. A forward perhaps.

Well...I don't think it matters if we are 'all in'. If North or West Coast want him...we screwed.
I get the feeling there might be another trade coming that we are stacking picks for. A forward perhaps.
You thinking an established player?

I reckon North will budge on Pick 1, if you offer Pick 3, 12 and 18...could be what you're looking at doing. Would be steep, but Cadman is the Jez replacement/10 year key forward you guys have been crying out for

I reckon North will budge on Pick 1, if you offer Pick 3, 12 and 18...could be what you're looking at doing. Would be steep, but Cadman is the Jez replacement/10 year key forward you guys have been crying out for
I don't think we'll need to offer that much for it tbh

I don't think we'll need to offer that much for it tbh

My idea was basically this (similar to what we did in the Cameron trade)

OUT: Pick 3, 12, 18
IN: Pick 1, North Future 2nd (likely 19 or 20)

18 will be 19 or 20 this year, so you'd essentially swap out of this year's draft and into the next one, while paying Pick 12 to move from Pick 3 to Pick 1. That's why I reckon you've been happy to accept 18 from us for Bruhn, so you can make this deal happen.

Will wait and see, as a lot to be played out, but that's pretty even, IMO, given there's no clear contender for no.1 this year outside of Ashcroft, and even the other contender Wardlaw has multiple recurring injuries.

My idea was basically this (similar to what we did in the Cameron trade)

OUT: Pick 3, 12, 18
IN: Pick 1, North Future 2nd (likely 19 or 20)

18 will be 19 or 20 this year, so you'd essentially swap out of this year's draft and into the next one, while paying Pick 12 to move from Pick 3 to Pick 1. That's why I reckon you've been happy to accept 18 from us for Bruhn, so you can make this deal happen.

Will wait and see, as a lot to be played out, but that's pretty even, IMO, given there's no clear contender for no.1 this year outside of Ashcroft, and even the other contender Wardlaw has multiple recurring injuries.
Don't think North would be willing to trade their future second and 18 is probably too much with 12 already included. If it was 3, 12 + 30 for 1 that feels like it make sense

Don't think North would be willing to trade their future second and 18 is probably too much with 12 already included. If it was 3, 12 + 30 for 1 that feels like it make sense

Yeah who knows, haha...but main thing for me is, by Kingsley and Mack doing a deal so early this morning without any fuss, it's put another massive stain on Rendell's reputation - given he said not 18 hours ago, that we were lowballing and you guys were pissed off. Awks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back