List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Alright guys here is a big one...

Let's say we lose one of Taranto / Hopper and get a pick 10 - 15 in return.

We take the 10-15 pick to the draft along with our top 6 pick and we target one or two of Busslinger, Lemmey, Scully as a tall. If we took a KPF in Lemmey or Scully these guys will obviously take more time to develop. I am just thinking could you imagine a backline in 2 years time of Sam Taylor (FB), Busslinger (CHB), Leek Aliir (Intercept Defender), Isaac Cumming, Connor Idun, Jack Buckley, Josh Fahey... That to me has the potential to be best in the league status in 2 years time.

Plus we should also target a small forward knowing how dodgy Daniels hamstrings are and we will probably need to replace Bobby Hill at years end.
If we have to lose one or the other of the bull inside mids - which seems reasonable given what we've seen of the list balance and the speculation on TPP, plus with Perryman able to be used inside - then I'd agree that KPF, goalkicking small/medium forward, & KPD should be priorities. It also depends on whether we prioritise any more outside run, noting we do have Whitfield, Callaghan, Ash, Cumming, Fahey & Hamilton with various combinations of speed & endurance.

This is where we should also use the upcoming MSD to complement the end of year ND to see if we can meet (or at least trial) any longer term options.

One point to start with is that I'm not sure exactly what role Leek Aleer is best suited to - is he a second KPD, or primarily an interceptor in the Haynes mould? Assuming that Davis & Keeffe have very limited time left, Stein is only a backup, not sure how Fleeton is best used ... Buckley proved himself last year, but at 193 cms might be a touch small for KPD week in/week out. (I'm still frustrated that we didn't pick up Lienert in the PSD, who Port delisted, as he would have IMHO been very good as a backup KPD instead of Keeffe, going forward.) How we see the existing KPDs will dictate whether we spend an early pick picking up a KPD (Busslinger being the standout KPD in this year's draft) or leave it until later (or use the MSD). Selecting Busslinger would presumably come if we see Aleer taking Haynes' intercepting position rather than a second KPD role, and see Buckley as a fringe option (which is still required, because someone's always getting injured in the GWS team!)

So, under your scenario, we have picks around #5/6 and #10-15. Given the current draft watchers' thoughts, we would be looking at options being:
  • Harry Sheezel (goalkicking medium forward), then likely to miss out on Lemmey, Scully & Busslinger, but could pick up Matthew Jefferson, Aaron Cadman or Isaac Keeler (all KPFs), and probably a second small forward with our second rounder or perhaps Henry Hustwaite as a KPD
  • Lemmey or Scully as KPF, then probably miss out on Sheezel & Busslinger, so pick up a Brayden George/Seth Campbel/Anthony Munkara l as small/medium forward, then with our second a KPD such as Henry Hustwaite
  • Jedd Busslinger (KPD), Jefferson/Cadman/Keeler (KPF), then Charlie Clarke (small/medium forward).
Clearly, whoever we prioritise with our first pick, narrows or defines the options with our second and third picks. The issue with the KPFs at the moment, I think, is that no-one is sure of the real quality of Lemmey, Scully, Jefferson, Cadman & Keeler to understand whether they are indeed worthy of the top 10 (or top 6) pick. We'll need to awaut the U18 National Championships to get a better idea.

In the meantime, we can look to take someone at the MSD to help fill those holes. Obviously, if we're favouring a particular position at ND, we could look at someone from a different role at MSD. Now, the quality of the MSD options is likely not as good as at ND, but you could trial a player and see if we've got a diamond in the rough. Options would include:
  • Ethan Grace, 181cm forward who kicked 4 goals in his last game for the Giants in the NAB League against Bendigo and had booted 3 goals the previous game against Sandringham. Kicks the ball well and has impressed with his improvement since last year.
  • Jye Menzie, 180cm forward kicked 10 goals from his first two games and displaying some electric ground-level speed in attack. He has an endless desire to compete and hit the scoreboard, with his aerobic capacity enabling him to get higher up the ground on occasions. Set to turn 20 later this year, clubs rate Menzie's ability to scrap at every contest.
  • Zane William, Woodville-West Torrens forward has caught the attention of clubs this season in the SANFL. The 20-year-old has booted 13 goals from 7 games, including a haul of 5 goals against Glenelg early in the season. At 183cm he is sharp with the ball in hand and creates chances and has been linked to clubs searching for a small forward option.
  • Oskar Faulkhead, utility midfielder who could be used forward (would also provide midfield backup if we've traded Taranto or Hopper)
  • James Blanck, 21-year-old 195cm key defender currently at Box Hill who contests well.
  • Will Reinhold, ex-GWS academy tall defender who can also play up the ground on the wing. The 21-year-old is a cousin of Brisbane star and former Bombers forward Joe Daniher, Reinhold has played in the VFL with Port Melbourne this season and is a neat left-foot kick.
  • Kallan Dawson, 23 year old 194cm Williamstown prospect plays his best footy as a third tall back, where he's able to peel off & intercept. Averaged 13 disposals and 6.9 marks per game in the VFL this year, while his speed has also made him a damaging rebounding threat.
  • Wade Derksen, 197cm key position prospect, is understood to be prepared to go anywhere to land an AFL opportunity. The 20-year-old has played only three league games in the WAFL and missed last weekend due to COVID, but he caught the eyes of recruiters when he kicked four goals from 22 disposals and seven marks against West Coast.
  • Hugo Hall-Kahan, exciting medium forward who has impressed with his tricks inside 50 in the first half of the season. The 188cm goalkicker booted five majors in round two this season and another four in round four and last week had 20 disposals in the NAB League. Turning 19 later this year, Hall-Kahan capable of marking in the air and also doing some snapping or creating a chance from nothing at ground level.

Last edited:

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Ralphy mentioned today on the pre-match broadcast that after talks this week Taranto is keen to stay but guarantee, nothing we haven't heard before but good to hear it reniforced.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Interesting discussion re; our first pick atm, I'm holding off on which KPF I prefer until after champs personally, just given Scully is beating up on 190cm defenders and Lemmey needs to build some continuity in just getting games atm. I'm still really strong on Sheezel, but Busslinger is one we'd have to consider if available, really flexible within his role and offers a lot more in attacking chains than any KPD we've ever had on the list. If we managed to get a second first rounder I'd almost be happy to just ignore key forwards with the very first one, Cadman and Jefferson look more like 8-20 selections atm but aren't far enough off Lemmey/ Scully for it to be a hit missing those two. Another prospect I want to bring to attention is Harry Barnett from West Adelaide, currently playing ruck but is more athletic/ skillful than Lemmey and Scully imo, has the traits to play at either end and will be cheaper come draft time

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting discussion re; our first pick atm, I'm holding off on which KPF I prefer until after champs personally, just given Scully is beating up on 190cm defenders and Lemmey needs to build some continuity in just getting games atm. I'm still really strong on Sheezel, but Busslinger is one we'd have to consider if available, really flexible within his role and offers a lot more in attacking chains than any KPD we've ever had on the list. If we managed to get a second first rounder I'd almost be happy to just ignore key forwards with the very first one, Cadman and Jefferson look more like 8-20 selections atm but aren't far enough off Lemmey/ Scully for it to be a hit missing those two. Another prospect I want to bring to attention is Harry Barnett from West Adelaide, currently playing ruck but is more athletic/ skillful than Lemmey and Scully imo, has the traits to play at either end and will be cheaper come draft time
Intercepting trio of Leek, Taylor and Busslinger would be incredible

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If we have to lose one or the other of the bull inside mids - which seems reasonable given what we've seen of the list balance and the speculation on TPP, plus with Perryman able to be used inside - then I'd agree that KPF, goalkicking small/medium forward, & KPD should be priorities. It also depends on whether we prioritise any more outside run, noting we do have Whitfield, Callaghan, Ash, Cumming, Fahey & Hamilton with various combinations of speed & endurance.

This is where we should also use the upcoming MSD to complement the end of year ND to see if we can meet (or at least trial) any longer term options.

One point to start with is that I'm not sure exactly what role Leek Aleer is best suited to - is he a second KPD, or primarily an interceptor in the Haynes mould? Assuming that Davis & Keeffe have very limited time left, Stein is only a backup, not sure how Fleeton is best used ... Buckley proved himself last year, but at 193 cms might be a touch small for KPD week in/week out. (I'm still frustrated that we didn't pick up Lienert in the PSD, who Port delisted, as he would have IMHO been very good as a backup KPD instead of Keeffe, going forward.) How we see the existing KPDs will dictate whether we spend an early pick picking up a KPD (Busslinger being the standout KPD in this year's draft) or leave it until later (or use the MSD). Selecting Busslinger would presumably come if we see Aleer taking Haynes' intercepting position rather than a second KPD role, and see Buckley as a fringe option (which is still required, because someone's always getting injured in the GWS team!)

So, under your scenario, we have picks around #5/6 and #10-15. Given the current draft watchers' thoughts, we would be looking at options being:
  • Harry Sheezel (goalkicking medium forward), then likely to miss out on Lemmey, Scully & Busslinger, but could pick up Matthew Jefferson, Aaron Cadman or Isaac Keeler (all KPFs), and probably a second small forward with our second rounder or perhaps Henry Hustwaite as a KPD
  • Lemmey or Scully as KPF, then probably miss out on Sheezel & Busslinger, so pick up a Brayden George/Seth Campbel/Anthony Munkara l as small/medium forward, then with our second a KPD such as Henry Hustwaite
  • Jedd Busslinger (KPD), Jefferson/Cadman/Keeler (KPF), then Charlie Clarke (small/medium forward).
Clearly, whoever we prioritise with our first pick, narrows or defines the options with our second and third picks. The issue with the KPFs at the moment, I think, is that no-one is sure of the real quality of Lemmey, Scully, Jefferson, Cadman & Keeler to understand whether they are indeed worthy of the top 10 (or top 6) pick. We'll need to awaut the U18 National Championships to get a better idea.

In the meantime, we can look to take someone at the MSD to help fill those holes. Obviously, if we're favouring a particular position at ND, we could look at someone from a different role at MSD. Now, the quality of the MSD options is likely not as good as at ND, but you could trial a player and see if we've got a diamond in the rough. Options would include:
  • Ethan Grace, 181cm forward who kicked 4 goals in his last game for the Giants in the NAB League against Bendigo and had booted 3 goals the previous game against Sandringham. Kicks the ball well and has impressed with his improvement since last year.
  • Jye Menzie, 180cm forward kicked 10 goals from his first two games and displaying some electric ground-level speed in attack. He has an endless desire to compete and hit the scoreboard, with his aerobic capacity enabling him to get higher up the ground on occasions. Set to turn 20 later this year, clubs rate Menzie's ability to scrap at every contest.
  • Zane William, Woodville-West Torrens forward has caught the attention of clubs this season in the SANFL. The 20-year-old has booted 13 goals from 7 games, including a haul of 5 goals against Glenelg early in the season. At 183cm he is sharp with the ball in hand and creates chances and has been linked to clubs searching for a small forward option.
  • Oskar Faulkhead, utility midfielder who could be used forward (would also provide midfield backup if we've traded Taranto or Hopper)
  • James Blanck, 21-year-old 195cm key defender currently at Box Hill who contests well.
  • Will Reinhold, ex-GWS academy tall defender who can also play up the ground on the wing. The 21-year-old is a cousin of Brisbane star and former Bombers forward Joe Daniher, Reinhold has played in the VFL with Port Melbourne this season and is a neat left-foot kick.
  • Kallan Dawson, 23 year old 194cm Williamstown prospect plays his best footy as a third tall back, where he's able to peel off & intercept. Averaged 13 disposals and 6.9 marks per game in the VFL this year, while his speed has also made him a damaging rebounding threat.
  • Wade Derksen, 197cm key position prospect, is understood to be prepared to go anywhere to land an AFL opportunity. The 20-year-old has played only three league games in the WAFL and missed last weekend due to COVID, but he caught the eyes of recruiters when he kicked four goals from 22 disposals and seven marks against West Coast.
  • Hugo Hall-Kahan, exciting medium forward who has impressed with his tricks inside 50 in the first half of the season. The 188cm goalkicker booted five majors in round two this season and another four in round four and last week had 20 disposals in the NAB League. Turning 19 later this year, Hall-Kahan capable of marking in the air and also doing some snapping or creating a chance from nothing at ground level.

Great write up mate. It also has to be known Lemmey has been playing against men the whole year in the SANFL not against kids like Scully and the Vic / WA boys. It is a huge difference.

I also agree the U18 champs is going to really shine some more light on who is best suited to us going forward.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure if the club will take a pick in the MSD unless a standout small forward is available
I am all for ex-academy players getting a chance so maybe Grace is an option although he is more a longer term prospect
Not sure on any who could come in and play this season and this is why I see the club skipping and playing those already on the list

For end of year thinking the club has 2 top 10 picks with trading a mid and if needed packaging up multiples to move to the clubs desired pick numbers

Sheehzel and a tall are my preferred options but still plenty of games for others to rise up draft boards

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure if the club will take a pick in the MSD unless a standout small forward is available
I am all for ex-academy players getting a chance so maybe Grace is an option although he is more a longer term prospect
Not sure on any who could come in and play this season and this is why I see the club skipping and playing those already on the list

For end of year thinking the club has 2 top 10 picks with trading a mid and if needed packaging up multiples to move to the clubs desired pick numbers

Sheehzel and a tall are my preferred options but still plenty of games for others to rise up draft boards
agreed, we don't need any more players on our list. Let's get through to the end of the season with the players we have and move forward from there

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
agreed, we don't need any more players on our list. Let's get through to the end of the season with the players we have and move forward from there
I think we might use it as it is such a high pick. Could be pick 4 if Adelaide beat Geelong.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t think what we need is floating defenders. Haynes, Alleer… Isaac cumming can play that role when we need it.
We need outside run. We need speed and agility in the front half.
I agree that we don't need another player who primarily plays off his man as an interceptor, but rather a Sam Taylor type who is accountable for his man (but has the footy IQ to break early and take intercept marks, yes another of those would be nice).

My first question is, which one of those types will Aleer be at AFL level? It's hard for me to truly judge from his VFL games to date. If he is more the former, then he's a Haynes-replacement, and we definitely need a more close-checking defender.

The second question is, which of those types is Jedd Busslinger? The two answers will dictate whether he should be a target for us at ND.

The final question of course is where Cam Fleeton is as a KPD, and what his role is meant to be? I must admit, I was under the impression that he was planned to become the Haynes replacement as an intercepting tall defender ... but unsure how good his progression has been to date.

Given the sad Bobby Hill news today, I assume he'll be placed on the LTI list, and we can have two selections at MSD. We could look at a couple of combinations of player types, but a small/medium forward is probably more likely than not given we have almost exhausted our stocks. The other would be, as Giant Pete wants, someone with outside run who could ideally play forward with speed and agility.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Ethan Grace (GWS Academy)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (Sandringham Dragons) 18 month contract

Both are overagers so unlikely for instant impact bt the potential could be there

Of the mature Ben Cavarra could be an option if the club looks at the mature option, Boyd Woodcock ex Port another who has nominated but again the cost of living would make it hard for the players to re-locate for no guarantees long term

The club does need to place 1 of or both Fahey and Hill on the inactive list to open up a selection

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Greater Western Sydney

Pick range: 4-5
Needs: In what shapes as a lottery, the club will take a long-term view, hoping to land someone they think can develop in their system and become an established player on their list, which means they will target the best available in the 19-21 age group. Potential targets: Goalkicking forward Jacob Bauer is one player who might pique the club’s interest as he carries a point of difference while Wade Derksen is another versatile player who could develop in their system. The club has a plethora of big-bodied midfielders so are more likely to fill a need at either end of the ground.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Nothing from the club re players being moved to the inactive list but i think the AFL will release an article with who has a pick in the MSD

Hoping for a small forward if the club does decide to make a selection

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Nothing from the club re players being moved to the inactive list but i think the AFL will release an article with who has a pick in the MSD

Hoping for a small forward if the club does decide to make a selection
We will make two selections won’t we?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We will make two selections won’t we?
:rolleyes: You should know better than to predict us doing the obvious/appropriate.

I would not be surprised if we made no selections - but I absolutely hope that I'm wrong about that! At least one, please.

I've not seen enough of any of these guys to have a knowledgeable prediction. But on reputations, I'd be happy with someone like Wade Derkson (give him a punt as a KPF and see if he can be better than Riccardi), or Hugo Hall-Kahan, or Jye Menzie. Even Ethan Grace out of our academy - last year's mid-year pick-up has been pretty good for us.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
while D'Ambrosio, half-forward Jacob Bauer, key forward Wade Derksen and ruckman Max Ramsden are contenders for Greater Western Sydney's pick No.5.
From Cal Twomey's latest write up

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Purportedly this is the MSD order ... GWS has one pick, so presumably we only put Josh Fahey on the LTI list.
msdorder-jpeg.1413159

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
while D'Ambrosio, half-forward Jacob Bauer, key forward Wade Derksen and ruckman Max Ramsden are contenders for Greater Western Sydney's pick No.5.
From Cal Twomey's latest write up

Similar names with fox sports as well

The Giants, who only made a spot available last week when academy graduate Josh Fahey was put on the inactive list, are understood to be strongly considering using Pick 5 to select Western Jets defender Massimo D’Ambrosio, who’s impressed at every level he’s played so far this season with his pinpoint kicking and dash from half-back. D’Ambrosio also has interest from Hawthorn, Richmond, Sydney and Geelong, so the Giants could pinch him before those clubs enter the draft – although Peel Thunder big man Wade Derksen and North Adelaide swingman Jacob Bauer have also been linked to them.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Similar names with fox sports as well

Another half back outside type seems weird, considering Cumming, Perryman, Ash, Whitfield, Kennedy, Wehr, Fahey sort of Callaghan but not really all play a similar spot. idk seems odd, small foward seems so obvious and they've been so clearly trying to get one since last off-season and now when they're 2 of there 3 best options are gone they're not going to pick one anymore.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
From fox, I think the same article as above

While the Saints would love for Hall-Kahan to slide to their selection (Pick 14), several other clubs are considering him. Essendon (Pick 3) has put work into the Dragons forward, while he’s also in the mix to be taken by the Giants (Pick 5) — although the Bombers are monitoring West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, while it’s understood the Giants have met with Western Jets defender Massimo D’Ambrosio multiple times.

HHK seems to be the best fit and either is possible we will find out later tonight

Good is that they are both potential to develop and with the Covid interupted seasons recruiters may not have seen enough work to select them last year

Back