List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

From fox, I think the same article as above

While the Saints would love for Hall-Kahan to slide to their selection (Pick 14), several other clubs are considering him. Essendon (Pick 3) has put work into the Dragons forward, while he’s also in the mix to be taken by the Giants (Pick 5) — although the Bombers are monitoring West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, while it’s understood the Giants have met with Western Jets defender Massimo D’Ambrosio multiple times.

HHK seems to be the best fit and either is possible we will find out later tonight

Good is that they are both potential to develop and with the Covid interupted seasons recruiters may not have seen enough work to select them last year
Massimo has been linked to the giants a bunch of times now, at this rate I'm expecting him to be the pick if he's avaliable. Would be good to add another italian into the mix.

If we take D'Ambrossio I'm expecting he'll play wing for us long term given our small/ medium defenders have been quite decent of late, has a really good kick which would do wonders for fixing our forward 50 entries. I'm still hoping for Hall-Kahan though personally, nothing against Massimo and I certainly won't be disappointed if he's the way we go, but we desperately need some more creative forwards for the short and long term

Where does this place Briggs?
Well, Derksen is a KPF who can be a secondary ruck (and could also play KPD). I'd say that he more impacts on Sproule and Riccardi, who have the same skillset (or if he shows KPD skills then someone like Keeffe).

I don't think he really changes Briggs' position - who is a primary ruckman hasn't been used as a pure KPF (or even secondary ruck/KPF). However, I think Briggs probably looks around at the end of the year given his lack of first grade time.

Well, Derksen is a KPF who can be a secondary ruck (and could also play KPD). I'd say that he more impacts on Sproule and Riccardi, who have the same skillset (or if he shows KPD skills then someone like Keeffe).

I don't think he really changes Briggs' position - who is a primary ruckman hasn't been used as a pure KPF (or even secondary ruck/KPF). However, I think Briggs probably looks around at the end of the year given his lack of first grade time.

I've liked what I've seen of Briggs in the fwd line when played at AFL level, looks more mobile than Flynn. Just thought we had more pressing needs with this pick. Not to write him off but he has played 3 WAFL games and 2 were against the bottom 2 sides and the league itself has been impacted heavily by covid protocols.

I've liked what I've seen of Briggs in the fwd line when played at AFL level, looks more mobile than Flynn. Just thought we had more pressing needs with this pick. Not to write him off but he has played 3 WAFL games and 2 were against the bottom 2 sides and the league itself has been impacted heavily by covid protocols.
No problem with that view on our needs - I probably would have gone with a small forward such as Jye Menzie or medium forward who can also play wing in Hugo Hall-Kahan on the basis of needs.

However, it's the MSD, so I don't have a huge issue with a bit of a punt on a tall. On one hand, as you've pointed out, he doesn't actually have many runs on the board, but on the other, maybe we've got him before he can truly break out. We've often bemoaned our current forward situation - worst case he doesn't play out and we've wasted an MSD selection and maybe 18 months on him. How many years has Zach Sproule been on the list? (I admire Sprouley for the fact that he tries his hardest every game ... but he's just limited in his skills at the top level.)

Yes I have advocated playing a second ruck (either Flynn or Briggs) forward with Preuss as main ruck given our lack of performing talent. But Derksen is pretty good below his knees from the little footage there is of him, as well as a solid mark, so I'm prepared to give him a shot in a professional environment and see how he goes.

Is 4 cm really that much?
the simpsons GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting in the giants write up for Derksen that Caruso said "he's shown glimpses he can play behind the ball as well", really think they could go either end with him. Seems like a weird thing to throw in if they plan to use him as a KPF or maybe it's nothing and they're just noting his versatility. Don't mind taking a punt on a tall, it's only MSD.

Interesting in the giants write up for Derksen that Caruso said "he's shown glimpses he can play behind the ball as well", really think they could go either end with him. Seems like a weird thing to throw in if they plan to use him as a KPF or maybe it's nothing and they're just noting his versatility. Don't mind taking a punt on a tall, it's only MSD.
Not sure there has ever been a KPF recruited by any club where the recruiting manager didn’t say they could play both ends. Allows them to take credit when failed forwards become backs

Hypothetical:
This is our side of we were to trade Taranto to West Coast for Rioli and a pick.
Trade Hopper to Saints for Butler and a pick.
Retire Ward.
Freed up loads of cap space to retain Tom Green and others.

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Idun Buckley Fahey
Whitfield Kelly Callaghan
Rioli HH Greene
Butler Hogan Daniels
Preuss Green Coniglio

Perryman Stone Ash Bruhn

Big off-season at the trade table.
If we were really bold we’d target someone like Barrass. Really like him… kept trying even though most of West Coast have given up.

Hypothetical:
This is our side of we were to trade Taranto to West Coast for Rioli and a pick.
Retire Ward.

If we were really bold we’d target someone like Barrass. Really like him… kept trying even though most of West Coast have given up.
That's certainly an interesting proposition. I'm sure that some fans will recoil in horror, and others will be intrigued by the possibilities. It would certainly help to balance the squad composition.

Hypothetical:
Retire Ward.

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Idun Buckley Fahey
Rioli HH Greene
Butler Hogan Daniels
Preuss Green Coniglio

Perryman Stone Ash Bruhn

Anything is possible but with the way the club looks at these things and either draft or trade in the needed players and the ability of the club to attract players from other clubs they would likely trade for Seb Ross from the Saints and Redden from the Eagles and trade out any small forward on the list

I am sure most were surprised when a tall was picked in the MSD when the club has been playing inside mids as small forwards for the last 5 years. But hopefully that can be addressed at the end of year draft or trade period

Ideal Clarkson as coach and Breust comes on a 2/3 year deal with 1 or 2 years coaching/development and the club drafts Sheezel and Hopper or Taranto leaving will give the club enough draft capital to bring in another high quality player of need (Busslinger or rated tall) and Madden (Academy ruck)
Budget option would be Pike/Solomon combo bringing in Ronke Swans and Macpherson GC

Club needs to work on re-signing Bruhn, Briggs, Hamilton, Peatling and others

These players need to really push themselves if they want to be on the list in 2023
Shaw, hasn't shown enough in reserves
Brown, Should be dominating at the lower level and has the pace the team needs but I think a victim of playing as a utility so hasnt developed exceptional skills
Stein, Moving HH to defence may be the end of Stein although he could be the new Keefe as break in case of emergency (Sproule is similar but I think he has shown enough to be back up
Brander, Play him as a defender and get him to work on his disposal to lock in a position
Fleeton, Not tall enough as a key defender or mobile enough for a rebounder

Davis, Keefe likely to retire and with the MSD selection of Derkson I think that showed the club was looking at options for the talls on the list
MDB, Great role model for the younger players for training and effort for him to play 200+ games but I can see a retirement coming

Kennedy + Ward stay for the experience but could be overtaken by others in 2023

Hypothetical:
Retire Ward.

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Idun Buckley Fahey
Rioli HH Greene
Butler Hogan Daniels
Preuss Green Coniglio

Perryman Stone Ash Bruhn

Further to this… we could be really brave. Guys who are on long term, big money deals… if we were to get their contracts off our hands… where would that leave us? Let’s say, coniglio and Whitfield. We get their big contracts off our hands. Cogs in particular is not worth that sort of contract. Injury or not. He’s never been AA. He’s on one of the biggest contracts in the AFL.

So we get good to great compensation for them. It frees us up enormously.
And we are well placed to cover them.
With Clarkson as possible coach, we are in a position, recruiting wise, we have never been in.

A side without them as well:

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Idun Buckley Fahey
Kelly Bruhn Callaghan
Rioli HH Greene
Daniels Hogan Buckley
Preuss Green Perryman

Stone Ash Hamilton Peatling

With a bunch of first round picks, and loads of cap space.

It’s a hypothetical to prove how unbalanced our list is (before people come for my head).

Further to this… we could be really brave. Guys who are on long term, big money deals… if we were to get their contracts off our hands… where would that leave us? Let’s say, coniglio and Whitfield. We get their big contracts off our hands. Cogs in particular is not worth that sort of contract. Injury or not. He’s never been AA. He’s on one of the biggest contracts in the AFL.

So we get good to great compensation for them. It frees us up enormously.
And we are well placed to cover them.
With Clarkson as possible coach, we are in a position, recruiting wise, we have never been in.

A side without them as well:

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Idun Buckley Fahey
Kelly Bruhn Callaghan
Rioli HH Greene
Daniels Hogan Buckley
Preuss Green Perryman

Stone Ash Hamilton Peatling

With a bunch of first round picks, and loads of cap space.

It’s a hypothetical to prove how unbalanced our list is (before people come for my head).
TBH I don't think we would get much for Coniglio. Maybe a second round pick

TBH I don't think we would get much for Coniglio. Maybe a second round pick
We'd be lucky to get that when offloading his salary, not many players you'd get a first rounder for while not paying any of a $1m+ contract

With the media running with the Taranto or Hopper to be traded out I actually think it will come down to how much a Vic club is willing to offer Bruhn and if it turns his eyes as I can't see 2 of those mids leaving in the same off-season

MDB + Keefe retire
Davis + Ward reduced contracts if Davis goes on
Hogan + Kennedy similar contracts
XOH + Briggs not likely for large contracts
Hill unsure but hopefully the club sticks by him

It just depends on how the long term contracts are structured for next year

With the media running with the Taranto or Hopper to be traded out I actually think it will come down to how much a Vic club is willing to offer Bruhn and if it turns his eyes as I can't see 2 of those mids leaving in the same off-season

MDB + Keefe retire
Davis + Ward reduced contracts if Davis goes on
Hogan + Kennedy similar contracts
XOH + Briggs not likely for large contracts
Hill unsure but hopefully the club sticks by him

It just depends on how the long term contracts are structured for next year
I'm reasonably similar in my view of likely outcomes, but of course, have no idea what's in player's minds, our club or other clubs' intentions.

I'd like to keep XOH as experienced depth - we repeatedly struggle when we turn over those "second-stringers" who aren't getting regular first grade time - for them, I suspect it's a case of "if I'm not playing regular first grade, I may as well be close to home & mates". But that will come down to his desires and what other clubs throw at him.

I can see a number of clubs coming hard for Briggs - you'd think that Hawks, Bulldogs, Geelong and perhaps even Carlton might like him to join them.

Hill's an unknown - his cancer throws a real curveball; he could ask to go home (in which case we'd probably get nothing for him), or he might stay where he has footy mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back