List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Briggs will go and good luck to him. I think he’s good enough to be playing ones in some teams.
I think MDB retires. Phil should probably hang them up this year. His body is packing it in.
I can see Keeffe playing another year. He’s still got some speed and is a really handy role player.
Cal could probably go another year (I think he’s contracted) but I can see the end coming for him next year.

That frees up 3 list spots. Bobby will no doubt head off. That’s 4.
I think one of Taranto or Hopper will go. That’s 5.
That frees up some cap space too. Hopefully we can re-sign Tanner.

The beauty of the HH move to the backline is several-fold.
It doesn’t expose his weakness, which is contested marking. It plays to his strengths… undoubtedly his field kicking. He can split most one on ones and can read the play well enough to take some intercepts.

It also opens up a spot for Riccardi, who just needs a decent run at it. He is not a winger… he’s clearly a key forward and looks best taking grabs and splitting packs. Speaking of, he split a couple yesterday and left a couple of North players in his wake.

It also opens up a spot for Riccardi, who just needs a decent run at it. He is not a winger… he’s clearly a key forward and looks best taking grabs and splitting packs. Speaking of, he split a couple yesterday and left a couple of North players in his wake.
Riccardi has looked much better in his recent stint in firsts. 7 goals in 4 games, but just playing better. Possibly as a result of better entries into F50, but also a bit of confidence from that 9-goal VFL game.

Also, a solid start from Wade Derksen in VFL yesterday. We essentially get a free 6-month trial to see what he can do, and that was a good start.

THE STAR GWS CAN ‘AFFORD TO LOSE’… AND WHY IT WOULD SPARK A BIDDING FRENZY

He’s one of the most talented on-ballers on the Giants’ list, but there’s a “good chance” Tim Taranto returns to Victoria next season, according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph.

And if Taranto is keen to find a new footy home, St Kilda champion Leigh Montagna believes the Giants’ list is so well placed the club could probably afford to lose the gun midfielder.

Taranto, who claimed the Giants’ best and fairest award in their Grand Final year of 2019, is out of contract at season’s end and remains, arguably, the club’s biggest contract priority.

AFL Media reported last month Taranto was keen to get through the early part of the 2022 season before diving into any contract decision, with the Giants keen to step up talks.

But Ralph reported in the Herald Sun last week that Taranto was now likely to hold off on a new deal until late in the season.

That move, no doubt, will pique the interest of multiple Victorian clubs, who’ll no doubt be interested in a player like Taranto, who has the unique mix of being a tough inside ball-winner that can also push forward to hit the scoreboard.

Complicating matters for the Giants is they reportedly can’t afford to re-sign both Taranto and fellow inside mid Jacob Hopper – and the latter is tied to the club until the end of 2023.

Speaking on Fox Footy on Thursday night, Ralph said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Taranto move to a Melbourne-based club next season in a move that could help the Giants rebalance their list and their salary cap.

“I think it’s a likely chance,” Ralph told Fox Footy.

“He’s out of contract … they’re probably a little bit over the salary cap, as most good clubs are.”

Taranto, 24, has been a mainstay of the Giants’ on-ball brigade since being selected by the club with Pick 2 in the 2016 draft.

But Tom Green has emerged as a genuine contested ball player, while Josh Kelly has shown big improvement at the contest and Stephen Coniglio is having his best season in three years.

Asked if the Giants list could withstand a Taranto departure, Montagna told Fox Footy: “I really like their list going forward and I think they can do without him.

“We know he’s a wonderful player, but they’ve got Tom Green and Hopper, Coniglio – who’s getting somewhere back to near his best – and Josh Kelly, who’s a very good inside mid.

“They probably can afford to lose him and just try and fix up their front half.”

Montagna later added: “I think the Giants can surprise a few teams next year with a new coach.”

Not sure if this got sent in or not already but I haven't seen before that Taranto has put off contract talks until later in the year, timeline of putting off the contract seems to allign with Leon getting sacked and there being uncertainty around who the coach is going to be.

Last edited:

THE STAR GWS CAN ‘AFFORD TO LOSE’… AND WHY IT WOULD SPARK A BIDDING FRENZY

He’s one of the most talented on-ballers on the Giants’ list, but there’s a “good chance” Tim Taranto returns to Victoria next season, according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph.

And if Taranto is keen to find a new footy home, St Kilda champion Leigh Montagna believes the Giants’ list is so well placed the club could probably afford to lose the gun midfielder.

Taranto, who claimed the Giants’ best and fairest award in their Grand Final year of 2019, is out of contract at season’s end and remains, arguably, the club’s biggest contract priority.

AFL Media reported last month Taranto was keen to get through the early part of the 2022 season before diving into any contract decision, with the Giants keen to step up talks.

But Ralph reported in the Herald Sun last week that Taranto was now likely to hold off on a new deal until late in the season.

That move, no doubt, will pique the interest of multiple Victorian clubs, who’ll no doubt be interested in a player like Taranto, who has the unique mix of being a tough inside ball-winner that can also push forward to hit the scoreboard.

Complicating matters for the Giants is they reportedly can’t afford to re-sign both Taranto and fellow inside mid Jacob Hopper – and the latter is tied to the club until the end of 2023.

Speaking on Fox Footy on Thursday night, Ralph said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Taranto move to a Melbourne-based club next season in a move that could help the Giants rebalance their list and their salary cap.

“I think it’s a likely chance,” Ralph told Fox Footy.

“He’s out of contract … they’re probably a little bit over the salary cap, as most good clubs are.”

Taranto, 24, has been a mainstay of the Giants’ on-ball brigade since being selected by the club with Pick 2 in the 2016 draft.

But Tom Green has emerged as a genuine contested ball player, while Josh Kelly has shown big improvement at the contest and Stephen Coniglio is having his best season in three years.

Asked if the Giants list could withstand a Taranto departure, Montagna told Fox Footy: “I really like their list going forward and I think they can do without him.

“We know he’s a wonderful player, but they’ve got Tom Green and Hopper, Coniglio – who’s getting somewhere back to near his best – and Josh Kelly, who’s a very good inside mid.

“They probably can afford to lose him and just try and fix up their front half.”

Montagna later added: “I think the Giants can surprise a few teams next year with a new coach.”

Not sure if this got sent in or not already but I haven't seen before that Taranto has put off contract talks until later in the year, timeline of putting off the contract seems to allign with Leon getting sacked and there being uncertainty around who the coach is going to be.
Ralphy trawling through our list mgt threads again. Hi Ralphy!!

Let the bidding war begin on TT. Top 10 pick easily for him, maybe a first and a second. Would love to see us trade it forward and get a first round in the following draft. Just like the idea of trading forward especially while we still have a quality pick in this years draft (probably inside the first 8 picks).

This is real 'mate of a mate of a mate' stuff, but apparently Collingwood are big into Tanner Bruhn and very confident of getting him next season.

This is real 'mate of a mate of a mate' stuff, but apparently Collingwood are big into Tanner Bruhn and very confident of getting him next season.
dont take too much note of this stuff. So much to play out with these things, even if it comes from a guy in the room trying to cut a deal, a lot can happen and has to happen to get a deal done..

Do people really think that we will go into 2023 with Taranto, Green, Ward, Perryman, Coniglio, and Hopper in the same team?

Taranto, Green and Hopper alone are enough inside. They’ll all be expecting decent coin.

We need to be proactive and trade at least one.

This is how The Australian has us finishing for the rest of the season and the subsequent draft picks:

13. GWS (4-9, 91.1%)

R15: Collingwood (MCG) L

R16: Hawthorn (GIANTS) W

R17: Port Adelaide (AO) L

R18: Brisbane (Manuka) L

R19: Carlton (Marvel) L

R20: Sydney (SCG) L

R21: Essendon (GIANTS) W

R22: Western Bulldogs (Marvel) L

R23: Fremantle (Manuka) L

Predicted finish: 15th

Current draft picks: 6, 24, 42, 58, 60, 78

Seven goals from Toby Greene were not enough to get the Giants over the line against the Western Bulldogs last weekend. GWS has a tough run home, but could pull off an upset or two. The Giants have their own picks as well holding an additional fourth-round pick that is linked to Adelaide. The Giants have a few talented draft prospects in their Academy this year, including Harry Rowston, Nick Madden and Luke Lawerence.

This is how The Australian has us finishing for the rest of the season and the subsequent draft picks:

13. GWS (4-9, 91.1%)

R15: Collingwood (MCG) L

R16: Hawthorn (GIANTS) W

R17: Port Adelaide (AO) L

R18: Brisbane (Manuka) L

R19: Carlton (Marvel) L

R20: Sydney (SCG) L

R21: Essendon (GIANTS) W

R22: Western Bulldogs (Marvel) L

R23: Fremantle (Manuka) L

Predicted finish: 15th

Current draft picks: 6, 24, 42, 58, 60, 78

Seven goals from Toby Greene were not enough to get the Giants over the line against the Western Bulldogs last weekend. GWS has a tough run home, but could pull off an upset or two. The Giants have their own picks as well holding an additional fourth-round pick that is linked to Adelaide. The Giants have a few talented draft prospects in their Academy this year, including Harry Rowston, Nick Madden and Luke Lawerence.
I would be willing to bet $1,000 we win more than 2 games in the run home.

Do people really think that we will go into 2023 with Taranto, Green, Ward, Perryman, Coniglio, and Hopper in the same team?

Taranto, Green and Hopper alone are enough inside. They’ll all be expecting decent coin.

Yeah I think Taranto is gone, I just hope we get a top 10 pick for him and finally draft a tall. Also being able to lock up Tanner would be amazing. You have to think 2023 would likely be the end of the line for Ward / Davis as well which will free up some good $$.

Wouldn't mind us locking away Callaghan as well with an extension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be willing to bet $1,000 we win more than 2 games in the run home.
I wouldn't.

I think we're likely to snag a win or two here or there but so far we've beaten three of the bottom four and the Suns. They've given us the last two members of the bottom five as wins (fair, we should win those) but all the teams 10th and up have handled us fairly comfortably in the end. We've put up a fight in a number of those games but lapses in the 3rd or 4th killed a chance of winning.

Port would be the closest to a 50/50, we might get over the Pies though I'd favour them, but based off our form rather than "potential" the rest should handle us the same way we've been handled regularly this year. I'm not going to bet $1,000 on the combination of at best a couple of 50/50 chances.

Ward will be 33 next year and even if he plays every game won't get to 300. He's been a warrior for us and a legend of the club but I don't know what there is to achieve by playing another year even if it's for minimum wage.

I'm normally the one talking up stability and holding onto players, but this is one year that I'd be happy to move a few on.

I would love to give Wade Derksen a run in first grade before the end of the year and see how he goes, but my impression from how he's played in VFL is that he's got plenty of upside. To me, then, we can dispense with keeping Sproule on as a spare KPF and back-up ruck (presuming Derksen shows he could handle that aspect). I'd be OK if we move Sproule to the VFL side for a few years. He's also a guy that we could reasonably be sure of bringing back on as a pre-season selection next year if we can't find an adequate draftee, or someone goes down injured.

That would leave us with Hogan (with body issues and presumably a limited career), Riccardi and Derksen as the KPFs, with HH able to be moved forward if needed, and potentially a ruckman able to be thrown into a forward role. (But then we might also see Briggs move on - but more about him later.) We would definitely need to draft a KPF, would this year seems to be a year that has a few scattered throughout the draft in various likely draft positions. Keeler and Lemmey likely to be early, but then Jefferson, Cadman later, and Sicily somewhere there but possibly more speculative at this point.

If Briggs wants out for more opportunity, I can see a few Victorian sides wanting him (Hawks, Cats most of all). He should gain an additional second round pick, and there's a few small forwards in that range who I think would be capable (Charlie Clarke, Seth Campbell, Jacob Konstanty) or a couple of useful outside run players. We would then want to draft Nick Madden as replacement developing ruck. He could either be a late matching bid, or if not bid, added to the rookie list.

I'd also tend to part ways with the Irish lad, Callum Brown, unless he shows something more in the second half of this season. And I'd be looking very closely at Will Shaw as well - one reason to give them a run in firsts this year and see how they go.

Add in retiring de Boer and Keeffe, with one more year for Ward and Davis, and delisting Brander and that's 7 coming off the list (4 main, 3 rookie) to create some space, even before worrying about Taranto, Bruhn and Hill potentially wanting to trade out.

I'm normally the one talking up stability and holding onto players, but this is one year that I'd be happy to move a few on.

I would love to give Wade Derksen a run in first grade before the end of the year and see how he goes, but my impression from how he's played in VFL is that he's got plenty of upside. To me, then, we can dispense with keeping Sproule on as a spare KPF and back-up ruck (presuming Derksen shows he could handle that aspect). I'd be OK if we move Sproule to the VFL side for a few years. He's also a guy that we could reasonably be sure of bringing back on as a pre-season selection next year if we can't find an adequate draftee, or someone goes down injured.

That would leave us with Hogan (with body issues and presumably a limited career), Riccardi and Derksen as the KPFs, with HH able to be moved forward if needed, and potentially a ruckman able to be thrown into a forward role. (But then we might also see Briggs move on - but more about him later.) We would definitely need to draft a KPF, would this year seems to be a year that has a few scattered throughout the draft in various likely draft positions. Keeler and Lemmey likely to be early, but then Jefferson, Cadman later, and Sicily somewhere there but possibly more speculative at this point.

If Briggs wants out for more opportunity, I can see a few Victorian sides wanting him (Hawks, Cats most of all). He should gain an additional second round pick, and there's a few small forwards in that range who I think would be capable (Charlie Clarke, Seth Campbell, Jacob Konstanty) or a couple of useful outside run players. We would then want to draft Nick Madden as replacement developing ruck. He could either be a late matching bid, or if not bid, added to the rookie list.

I'd also tend to part ways with the Irish lad, Callum Brown, unless he shows something more in the second half of this season. And I'd be looking very closely at Will Shaw as well - one reason to give them a run in firsts this year and see how they go.

Add in retiring de Boer and Keeffe, with one more year for Ward and Davis, and delisting Brander and that's 7 coming off the list (4 main, 3 rookie) to create some space, even before worrying about Taranto, Bruhn and Hill potentially wanting to trade out.

A lot to play out in the season and then trade period but I still think the club needs list stability and who knows what the end of the season could bring but my thoughts

Retire
MDB + Keefe

Trade 1 of
Taranto, Bruhn, Hopper

I think Briggs would need to have someone offer a good deal to leave and not sure he warrants that on what he has produced, I dont think he has really dominated in reserves v a strong ruck and the Southport game was a big challenge for him and he didnt really fire a shot. Hope to be proven wrong on Sunday but he should stay for another season

Hill is an unknown but if he wants to stick around next year and feels he can play and the club agrees a 1 year offer should be on the table

XOH to stay although i think he does deserve more opportunity and hopefully 3 goals in the reserves is a boost to his confidence

It could come down to Shaw or Brown for a rookie spot and Shaw was always a project but the Academy players are showing more in reserves than him and delisting Brown is throwing away a 4 year investment and not sure if he has shown enough skills and development to continue

Brander I think deserves more time as he has plenty of skills he just needs to tidy up disposal and be more agressive

Sproule I see as down on confidence because of his shoulder form earlier this year, he isnt as competitive in the ruck as he has been and also marking and goal kicking is down and I will say talls do need more time and he could be given an opportunity as a defender to see how he goes as he is a good size and relatively mobile

I have thought for a long time that the reserves are hurt and the development effected by always having several different players every game and not having that experienced core, Hebron is a step in the right direction and also the 19/20 year old ex academy players but if they had signed Smout and Baker for the season it would have really helped the development

I will work of the idea that the club has 2 top 10 picks with 1 from finishing position and another from a trade out and moving up the order with the targets Sheezal and a tall forward (Plenty of opportunity for prospects to step up) Munkara could be another option for the draft and then picking up a mature, experienced small forward through trade or delisted player. Madden as an option in the ruck as he will likely need 4 years + of development

I think trading Hopper or Taranto is probably the best possible outcome.

They are both at their peak worth wise in a trade. The return will be high. Bruhn is gonna be a jet and if we trade him earlier the less we will get in return....like Caldwell/Hately/Kennedy/Steele.

I think Hopper is more in line leadership wise....but style wise probably makes more sense to trade.
Green is a carbon copy of Hopper's size and time in contests....while Taranto probably gives you more versatility.

However my guess is that Taranto will be the one that teams will go for...

My guess is we lose
Briggs/Bobby/Taranto and maybe a few more pieces.

What we can gain out of the rest of the year is
Retain Bruhn
Get games into Bruhn/Stone/Alleer/Callaghan

In Robbo's column so not sure if true but if it is wtf is going on? Apparently we have to dump a "star" as we are 1 million over the cap.

3. For sale​

The Giants have two main issues. 1) Who to get to coach the team next year, and 2) how to fix a salary cap that could be as much as $1 million over at the end of the year? Interim coach Mark McVeigh had his most difficult day on Sunday, by not having the defensive strength to curtail a confident Collingwood. McVeigh’s chances of keeping the job depend a lot on Alastair Clarkson’s plans – gee, Clarko’s an immense figure on all fronts – so that’s a wait and see. The salary dump is a wait and act. Unless the players collectively take a pay cut, the Giants will be forced to put up a gun player for sale, say, a Lachie Whitfield for example. A contending team might give up a mid to late first-round draft pick for Whitfield, which would aid the Giants’ list transition and ease their salary squeeze.

If we are over the cap with this squad time to pack it in.

In Robbo's column so not sure if true but if it is wtf is going on? Apparently we have to dump a "star" as we are 1 million over the cap.

3. For sale​

The Giants have two main issues. 1) Who to get to coach the team next year, and 2) how to fix a salary cap that could be as much as $1 million over at the end of the year? Interim coach Mark McVeigh had his most difficult day on Sunday, by not having the defensive strength to curtail a confident Collingwood. McVeigh’s chances of keeping the job depend a lot on Alastair Clarkson’s plans – gee, Clarko’s an immense figure on all fronts – so that’s a wait and see. The salary dump is a wait and act. Unless the players collectively take a pay cut, the Giants will be forced to put up a gun player for sale, say, a Lachie Whitfield for example. A contending team might give up a mid to late first-round draft pick for Whitfield, which would aid the Giants’ list transition and ease their salary squeeze.

If we are over the cap with this squad time to pack it in.

If we had to give up a star it would be Taranto or Hopper who are basically the same player and part of the hopelessly unbalanced list we have of slow inside mids that are questionable kicks.

We will lose Hill, we will probably lose Bruhn and one of the rucks will go. Davis probably retires.

If we had to let go of a Whitfield we may as well carve the joint up and do a full rebuild as there are more holes than Swiss cheese at the minute thanks to poor drafting and horrendous contract management.

I have put in this article by Jon Ralph as it is an interesting and worthwhile discussion on list management; there is also a bit about Richmond and possible interest in TT (highlighted):

How clubs are beating the system to fast-track rise up the ladder

Jon Ralph

28 June 2022

Hawthorn and Collingwood are about to find out if you can ever beat City Hall.

Two Victorian power clubs have decided that the full blown rebuild in AFL football is basically dead.

At the same time as North Melbourne’s David Noble attempts to withstand a review that could cost him his job, the pain of an 88-game rebuild is patently clear.

You commit to years of horrific on-field performances, you inevitably sack your senior coach while on the journey and it is not even certain if the pain eventually guarantees a shot at the title.

Both Hawthorn and Collingwood have made clear that instead of signing up for that path they will just get better every single year and see where it gets them.

They just aren’t interested in the AFL’s socialist principles that promote a boom-bust sink to the bottom every decade or so.

Collingwood has no desire to bottom out despite last year’s 17th – placed finish and is in part instructed by Brendon Bolton’s tenure during Carlton’s never-ending rebuild.

As he said yesterday of not stripping back the list to reap years of elite picks: “I was involved at Carlton when you rebuild and you can hit a real tipping point or threshold. That’s what Fly (Craig Macrae), Leppa (Justin Leppitsch) and myself have discussed — how important the leaders are.

“(Steele) Sidebottom on a wing holds good balance, (Scott) Pendlebury can play half back and wing, Howey (Jeremy Howe) down back, Jamie Elliott up forward. They connect your group. In AFL we like to retire our players but having older guys hold the young guys up has been a real strong suit for our footy club.”

Hawthorn at least attempted to ship out a senior player last year for an extra early pick but were astonished to find none of Chad Wingard or Luke Breust wanted to leave.

So instead they have committed to playing youth at almost all costs and finding the talent for a premiership elsewhere.

As football boss Rob McCartney said on Friday as part of Fox Footy’s telecast, there will be no attempt to nudge out senior players for early picks this time around.

Through left-field recruiting methods including the mid-season draft, rookie draft, summer supplemental selection period and late draft picks they have found Changkuoth Jiath (Category B rookie), Ned Reeves (SSP), Mitch Lewis (pick 76), Jai Newcombe (SSP) and Dylan Moore (pick 67).

As McCarthy made clear, the senior players are important but not holding back the kids in a side that on Friday had 15 players 23 and under.

As McCarthy said: “We will get a reasonably early first-round pick. Free agency is definitely of interest but (free agency and the draft) would be the mechanisms more than trade mechanisms this year.”

So Hawthorn and Collingwood will ignore the full-blown rebuild, fully aware of its pitfalls.

One of the most convincing reasons is that there are so many other mechanisms to add elite players.

Once upon a time tanking — legally or otherwise — was the only way to get better as clubs plunged to the bottom to collect elite talent before eventually bouncing back up the ladder.

Now if you are only relying on elite early picks you are asleep at the wheel.

You can tank to get a top-five pick and watch while other clubs add restricted free agent Tyson Stengle as a star, Jai Newcombe becomes a mid-season revelation and rookie Cal Wilkie turns into of footy’s most miserly defenders.

Or you can still win 10 games and take two picks within 28, secure a mid-season revelation, back in a summer rookie, spend your hard-earned cap space on a free agent.

Your fans don’t openly revolt, you don’t have the heartburn of tipping out multiple club legends and you have still found five or six new players each season.

North Melbourne will spend a year winning one game to try to secure the early draft pick that secures a key defender that Sydney just found in delisted free agent Paddy McCartin.

The pain just isn’t worth it.

And yet for the course plotted by Hawthorn and Collingwood, the most recent evidence is that the best way to win premierships is still by the top-to-tail rebuild.

Melbourne just won the flag with a spectacular array of top-15 picks including Christian Petracca (pick 2), Luke Jackson (pick three), Clayton Oliver (pick 4), Angus Brayshaw (pick 3), Christian Salem (pick nine).

And Carlton has opened up a six to eight year window with Sam Walsh (pick 1), Weitering (pick 1), Harry McKay (pick 10), Charlie Curnow (pick 12), and Patrick Cripps (pick 12), let alone Lochie O’Brien (pick 10).

So we get the popcorn and wait to see if Hawthorn and Collingwood can circumvent the time-honoured rebuilding process.

At Richmond, the capacity to secure five picks in 30 last year — all of them who have shown early VFL or AFL promise — gives the Tigers so much freedom in this year’s national draft.

The combined value of their first pick (10) and the North Melbourne second-rounder in their keeping (pick 19) is 2343 draft points, the equivalent of the No.3 draft pick.

In other words, clearly enough to trade for a GWS midfielder like Tim Taranto.

The Tigers have always known they would need to restock their midfield as Trent Cotchin moves into retirement, and have believed a GWS midfielder would fall out given cap issues this year.

Cotchin’s injury and Prestia’s concussion against Geelong was a glimpse to the future and yet Liam Baker’s exquisite second half led to the game of the year.

But with Prestia 30 in October, Richmond surely is in the perfect position to hand over early picks for a player like Taranto.

He is in the right age bracket (24), he can play inside mid and resting forward, he is a brilliant young kid and he will fit in perfectly with the emerging youngsters in Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Josh Gibcus, Maurice Rioli and Hugo Ralphsmith.

If not him, which other established mid will the Tigers consider?

So a team which has won three flags since 2017 could add a player of that calibre and further gap the Roos, a team deserving of a priority pick but no certainty to get one.

For all but a few the full-blown rebuild is dead… and yet if Carlton wins the flag every club going for the quick fix will consider whether it is again a trend worth following.

BEST 10 LEFT-FIELD RECRUITS IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS

1.Cal Wilkie (St Kilda)

A pick 3 in the 2018 rookie draft who hasn’t missed a game since his round 1 debut, adding 77 games as a lock-down defender. Astonishingly smart recruiting.

2. Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn)

In the old days the Hawks would have hidden him away but instead he put the price tag of a four-year deal on his head and now looks a complete midfielder instead of the dour tackling machine he was when he arrived this time last year.

3. Tyson Stengle (Geelong)

Geelong used his good mate Eddie Betts and former teammates Josh Jenkins and Paddy Dangerfield as recruiting tools to secure a delisted free agent who at 23 should play 150 games in the blue and white hoops.

4. Paddy McCartin (Sydney)

A delisted free agent who at 26 has years ahead of him if he can dodge concussion issues.

Only St Kilda gets beaten by the No.1 pick they drafted all those years ago and gave away for free.

5. Ben Keays (Adelaide)

The pick 7 in the 2019 rookie draft has already added 51 games for the Crows as a hard-running relentless ball winner after being delisted by the Lions.

6.Will Snelling (Essendon)

The SANFL graduate has played 42 games for the Dons since being taken at pick seven in the 2019 mid-season draft, finishing third in the best-and-fairest last year with another ninth-placed finish as well.

7. Ned Reeves (Hawthorn)

This might be a bit about his upside but the Hawks believe they have found a long-term ruck prospect in Reeves, a 2018 summer rookie. Clubs give up the world for elite rucks, so what a bargain basement find this might be.

8. Brad Close (Geelong)

The No.14 pick in the 2019 rookie draft has added 43 games and 30 goals and while he flies under the radar Geelong fans can’t get enough of the 23-year-old’s forward prowess.

9. John Noble (Collingwood)

The No. 14 pick in the 2019 mid-season draft has added 57 games and just over 1000 disposals and with dash and purpose from the Collingwood back six.

10. Jack Ginnivan (Collingwood)

Pick 13 in the 2021 rookie draft, Ginnivan already looks a two-goal-per-game forward who could play 200 games with the Pies as a value selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back