List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm keeping a close eye on Tom Green as he was dropped this week (confirmed by our incompetent coach) Will not be surprised if he is at Richmond next season.
I can smell another dud deal like the deledio one. Tigers cover some of Dusty they get Green we get an old busted former champion who the club hope will boost crowd numbers.
Hang on folks it could be a rough trade period.
Nah - he's carrying something as his output has dropped off.
He should have been listed as injured or just omitted.
There's a great argument for removing the term "managed" because it's too vague.

He’s been flat for ages, he is very demonstrative during games and it’s because he cares but probably lost some motivation recently between the coaching change, missing out on finals and seeing what the future looks like.

He’s been flat for ages, he is very demonstrative during games and it’s because he cares but probably lost some motivation recently between the coaching change, missing out on finals and seeing what the future looks like.
Very big bodied midfielder will take a year or two more to get the endurance he craves. Will likely end up leaner. More like Cripps this year.
I don’t mind him being given time developing his forward craft. Has excellent goal sense.

Essendon blowing that game is bad news for our pick that would have had then two games Infront of us now we could still pass them on the ladder.

Essendon blowing that game is bad news for our pick that would have had then two games Infront of us now we could still pass them on the ladder.
They have NORF next week and still play us and have slightly better percentage so should finish ahead. Adelaide is the one we need to win a game as I doubt we will win again this year.

Don't think we will!

Anyway, there's enough talent in positions 3 to 5 that we can use, be it Sheezel, Tsatas, Cadman, Mackenzie. Just need to choose wisely.

Looking at the fixture, barring some upsets I see us getting Pick 3 which will probably fall to Pick 4 if North get the ridiculous priority pick.

We then probably get Pick 5 compo for Taranto if he leaves (am I correct?) and then some picks for Bruhn and Hill (probably late 1st and a 2nd or two 2nd’s depending on the club. If we do stupidly pursue Grundy then some of that will go.

The interesting one is Hopper. If we don’t have to deal him then we probably shouldn’t as next year we would get a fairly early compensation pick. I can’t remember if he’s a free agent or restricted free agent.

Looking at the fixture, barring some upsets I see us getting Pick 3 which will probably fall to Pick 4 if North get the ridiculous priority pick.

We then probably get Pick 5 compo for Taranto if he leaves (am I correct?) and then some picks for Bruhn and Hill (probably late 1st and a 2nd or two 2nd’s depending on the club. If we do stupidly pursue Grundy then some of that will go.

The interesting one is Hopper. If we don’t have to deal him then we probably shouldn’t as next year we would get a fairly early compensation pick. I can’t remember if he’s a free agent or restricted free agent.
No, Taranto will be a trade. Best for us would be if he goes to Richmond - if they stay where they currently sit on the ladder, we hopefully shake pick 9 out of them. If he goes to Collingwood, it will be mid-teens.

Of course, Ashcroft opting to be a father/son would push us back to pick 5 (if North get a PP).

No, Taranto will be a trade. Best for us would be if he goes to Richmond - if they stay where they currently sit on the ladder, we hopefully shake pick 9 out of them. If he goes to Collingwood, it will be mid-teens.

Of course, Ashcroft opting to be a father/son would push us back to pick 5 (if North get a PP).
Argh off course! I always confuse RFA and FA re compo. Cheers mate

Taranto is neither, hence the need for a trade.
I honestly don’t get the love for him. I watch him very closely and yes he gets plenty of the ball, has endurance and tackles but he’s slow and a very average kick. He has no hurt factor. I’m sure he’s great to have around the club and looks a lovely person but seems very overrated.

I honestly don’t get the love for him. I watch him very closely and yes he gets plenty of the ball, has endurance and tackles but he’s slow and a very average kick. He has no hurt factor. I’m sure he’s great to have around the club and looks a lovely person but seems very overrated.
Well, I think you have to put it in perspective. Would we like him to be better? Sure. Petracca-style clearances and impact? No doubt. But essentially that's just saying we'd like to draft the best players - all clubs would like to do that. TT is better than a lot of players, and worse than some. He's been pretty consistent in averaging around that 27 disposals a game, and can go forward and kick goals. I've no doubt that the GWS "gameplan" of the last 3 years hasn't helped his cause, although he's probably to blame for some of that himself. There's a degree of catch-22: do we play the gamestyle because of the players types we have, or have we moulded the player types to the gameplan we play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I think you have to put it in perspective. Would we like him to be better? Sure. Petracca-style clearances and impact? No doubt. But essentially that's just saying we'd like to draft the best players - all clubs would like to do that. TT is better than a lot of players, and worse than some. He's been pretty consistent in averaging around that 27 disposals a game, and can go forward and kick goals. I've no doubt that the GWS "gameplan" of the last 3 years hasn't helped his cause, although he's probably to blame for some of that himself. There's a degree of catch-22: do we play the gamestyle because of the players types we have, or have we moulded the player types to the gameplan we play?
Agree hard to know. In our grand final year they were more accountable in defence and played some really hard relentless footy. That was the year Nicks was a senior Assistent. If we do go for an untried coach they will need a good team of assistents, it’s the main area the club has been deficient.

No point having a Ferrari and getting Mr Magoo to drive it.

No point having a Ferrari and getting Mr Magoo to drive it.
No Ferraris left. At best we've got a bunch of Landrovers but keep leaving them in neutral.

Taranto in the games I've seen the last two seasons doesn't seem to have the same ferocious intensity about his play he had in the 2019 season into that year's finals' series.

He did have that bad shoulder surgery but maybe the big factor is the relative lack of time on ball compared to back then. He and Hopper were playing big midfield minutes every week and built great chemistry. However with Cogs back and Green in there now Taranto plays more different roles.

I think he's a gun onballer and an average forward (doesn't have speed to lock it in and is a poor shot for goal).

Taranto in the games I've seen the last two seasons doesn't seem to have the same ferocious intensity about his play he had in the 2019 season into that year's finals' series.

He did have that bad shoulder surgery but maybe the big factor is the relative lack of time on ball compared to back then. He and Hopper were playing big midfield minutes every week and built great chemistry. However with Cogs back and Green in there now Taranto plays more different roles.

I think he's a gun onballer and an average forward (doesn't have speed to lock it in and is a poor shot for goal).

Guys who get the ball and don’t use it effectively or have speed/agility to create time and space are the worst guys of all.

Tom Green is slow as a wet week but when in form he has nearly the best hands in the comp. He’s also very tall and strong and nearly always takes the right option. He is a point of difference.

Hopper is not quick but he’s more agile than Taranto but Taranto has better stamina. They are both so similar and it’s a joke the club actively traded to secure both. Neither of these guys kick goals and both generally average delivering, maybe Hopper slightly better.

Both are replaceable and if Callaghan can get his foot right and Stone his strings we won’t miss their presence. Callaghan is a freak talent.

Last edited:
If it was up to me , we'd keep Timmy. He's from that great draft that netted us HH, Pez, Cumming, & Sproule, & Flynn? was around those years.
The right age bracket. I know he's limited to congestion/extraction plays, with limited disposal, but you need those types too. Apparently, he's being offered less than he is already on, in other words, go elsewhere.
It's a bit of a culture thing. Cogs/ Whitfield/ Kelly were all the same. Giants had to match offers from Vic clubs and consequently blew the cap.
It's going to be the same Vic barbs this time round, about Who's left, & Turn the lights Out.
Bit depressimg how hard it is to maintain a strong culture for GWS

You need players of all styles to win flags, a TT type allows Kelly and Cogs to operate more on the outside where they do more damage. Prestia is slow and a poor kick but is arguably Richmond's best midfielder, because he played a role that allowed Dusty and Cotchin to operate in space. If TT and Hopper go, who else outside of Green can play that role well enough to compliment someone like Callaghan in the future? We'd just be drafting someone for it with whatever we get for the two of them

Here is an idea, offer Jamarra a 10 year godfather deal for 10 mil.

He won’t take it but will use it as leverage and it will **** the dirty dogs. When he re-signs move the offer to Darcy and then to Naughton.

Do to them what they did with Patton/Boyd. Bit of revenge would be nice 😊

Do it with JUH and then Darcy will be easy pickings and much cheaper. Knows we have been a big fan given we bid on him at 2.

Ruck forward is the go these days. Chopping the arms means they generally don’t even have to be the best mark.

Do it with JUH and then Darcy will be easy pickings and much cheaper. Knows we have been a big fan given we bid on him at 2.

Ruck forward is the go these days. Chopping the arms means they generally don’t even have to be the best mark.
We still owe them for the Toyd fiasco and clubs have been and continue to mess with our TPP. Why not have a bit of free fun at the table.

Here is an idea, offer Jamarra a 10 year godfather deal for 10 mil.

He won’t take it but will use it as leverage and it will **** the dirty dogs. When he re-signs move the offer to Darcy and then to Naughton.

Do to them what they did with Patton/Boyd. Bit of revenge would be nice 😊
Yep, I love the idea. We can do the same the the Swans with McDonald and probably only have to offer him $600k a year. I think he just re-signed recently this year though? The opportunity is definitely there to start a raid on the Swans as they have a lot of young players who will be demanding a hefty salary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back