List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I love the idea. We can do the same the the Swans with McDonald and probably only have to offer him $600k a year. I think he just re-signed recently this year though? The opportunity is definitely there to start a raid on the Swans as they have a lot of young players who will be demanding a hefty salary
It’s definitely time for us to get a little aggressive and the Bulldogs are ripe for the picking, they have too much high end talent and we definitely owe both them and the Swans some heartache.

This off-season will be painful for us but let’s just get through it and then start being a bit disruptive ourselves.

G'day! Sorry for the intrusion and also if this has already been covered previously but we over on the Geelong board were curious whether you thought that GWS would have any interest in a trade involving our perennial whipping boy, Esava Ratugolea? You apparently were interested in him as part of the Cameron trade, but Scott shut this down quick smart, much to the dismay over many of our supporters. Are you still in need of this type of player or is this an area that you have covered reasonably well these days? Again, sorry for the interruption and all the best!

G'day! Sorry for the intrusion and also if this has already been covered previously but we over on the Geelong board were curious whether you thought that GWS would have any interest in a trade involving our perennial whipping boy, Esava Ratugolea? You apparently were interested in him as part of the Cameron trade, but Scott shut this down quick smart, much to the dismay over many of our supporters. Are you still in need of this type of player or is this an area that you have covered reasonably well these days? Again, sorry for the interruption and all the best!
Esava Ratugolea would have about as much value as Bobby Hill this off season. I would say a late 3rd at best for a player that can't get a game when you have Rhys Stanley as your main ruckman.
GWS could target him possibly if we lose a ruckman this offseason but if I was Geelong I wouldn't expect much back for him.

I wouldnt think so.

I would never have taken Esava as part payment in the Cameron deal - zero point back there when we had Flynn & Briggs upcoming and were chasing Preuss. So I was very surprised that he seemed to be on the club recruiters' radar at the time.

I hold the same view today that I still wouldn't want him. My only thought - if the GWS recruiters still hold any torch for him - would be that if Briggs (or Flynn) leaves, he could be the third ruck destined primarily to play VFL. Not an attractive option for him, and to be blunt, I'd much prefer to get a draft ruck and put some development time into them.

Esava isn't good, he'd just be third in line to ruck duties (assuming Briggs finds somewhere else to play) he would hold very little value in a trade

I would never have taken Esava as part payment in the Cameron deal - zero point back there when we had Flynn & Briggs upcoming and were chasing Preuss. So I was very surprised that he seemed to be on the club recruiters' radar at the time.

I hold the same view today that I still wouldn't want him. My only thought - if the GWS recruiters still hold any torch for him - would be that if Briggs (or Flynn) leaves, he could be the third ruck destined primarily to play VFL. Not an attractive option for him, and to be blunt, I'd much prefer to get a draft ruck and put some development time into them.

As an outsider i agree i dont think you need him with the depths in rucks and key forwards you have. I dont really see a player that fills a need for you that we would part with so i assume any trade for bruhn or hopper would be mainly in picks.

The Giants are set to be one of the major players in this year’s trade period. Taranto won’t make a call until he finds out who is coaching GWS but has multiple suitors, including Collingwood and Richmond. Bruhn is in the Cats’ sights, as is the contracted Jacob Hopper, while Hill seems Collingwood-bound. If the Giants can convince Brodie Grundy to relocate to Sydney, then Briggs, who, like Grundy, is represented by Connors Sports, may be on the move. Discussions are ongoing for Hogan to extend his stay at the Giants on a probable two-year contract. Wehr, Keeffe and Hamilton should all secure new deals, while O’Halloran could assess his options after being in and out of the senior side in 2022.

I dont really see a player that fills a need for you that we would part with so i assume any trade for bruhn or hopper would be mainly in picks.
If it were up to me, I don't see how you trade for (a contracted) Hopper. He should be a first round pick in the early 10s, which you'll be nowhere near. Even pick #18 (#19) for Bruhn will be daylight robbery.

I just don't trust our trading team to extract correct value, unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still time for others to stand out for this years draft but looking over this years talent I would be happy with

Sheezel
Starts primarily as a forward and over time he can split time as a mid

13/10/04
184cm/77kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Forward/midfielder

Sheezel brings something altogether different to the top end of the draft pool. The exciting, polished and classy half-forward can mark above his head, create opportunities and kick goals in a range of ways. He's booted 21 in eight games for the Dragons this season. He has a sidestep, a shimmy and a spin, and tricks that make him one of the most fun players to watch in the 2022 pool. Sheezel kicked four goals against the Allies in Metro's first carnival game and also starred early against Western Australia. He has also spent time in the midfield, including back-to-back games of 30-plus disposals for Sandringham in rounds 9-10.

Cadman
With the key forwards already on the list he doesnt need to come in 1st year but he is well developed so hoping he can show the constant improvement people talk about

196cm/88kg
3/3/04
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country
Key forward

Cadman has put himself in the frame as one of the first key-position players to be drafted this year. The left-footed key forward bases his game off Geelong match-winner Jeremy Cameron but also has some similarities to Carlton goalkicker Harry McKay at the same age. He marks and leads well, has goal sense and has booted seven goals for Vic Country across three games as well as 23 in the NAB League, including four hauls of four or more and five last weekend against the Western Jets. Just gets himself involved in games.

Konstanty
Needs to add size but if he can kick a goal and tackle he would be a walk up start to the team (Blame PMBangers talking him up if he is gone before the pick we wanted to use on him and pick a inside mid to try and turn into a small fwd)

176cm/70kg
9/11/04
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Small forward

A former gun junior soccer player who is now a clever small forward with sharp skills and smarts around goal. His standout game of the carnival for Vic Country came against the Allies when he kicked 3.2 and buzzed around the forward line, and he will also appeal to clubs for the defensive pressure he applies. He averages six tackles a game for Gippsland and also had 14 in a game against the Geelong Falcons.

Rowston and Madden from the Academy depending on list spots available and needs

Brayden George and Mattaes Phillipou are other options for a fwd/mid

(Blame @PMBangers talking him up if he is gone before the pick we wanted to use on him and pick a inside mid to try and turn into a small fwd)
It's not fault I'm elite at talent identification, or alternatively so bad that it looks good

Still time for others to stand out for this years draft but looking over this years talent I would be happy with

Sheezel

13/10/04
184cm/77kg
Forward/midfielder

Sheezel brings something altogether different to the top end of the draft pool. The exciting, polished and classy half-forward can mark above his head, create opportunities and kick goals in a range of ways. He's booted 21 in eight games for the Dragons this season. He has a sidestep, a shimmy and a spin, and tricks that make him one of the most fun players to watch in the 2022 pool. Sheezel kicked four goals against the Allies in Metro's first carnival game and also starred early against Western Australia. He has also spent time in the midfield, including back-to-back games of 30-plus disposals for Sandringham in rounds 9-10.

Cadman
With the key forwards already on the list he doesnt need to come in 1st year but he is well developed so hoping he can show the constant improvement people talk about

196cm/88kg
3/3/04
Key forward

Cadman has put himself in the frame as one of the first key-position players to be drafted this year. The left-footed key forward bases his game off Geelong match-winner Jeremy Cameron but also has some similarities to Carlton goalkicker Harry McKay at the same age. He marks and leads well, has goal sense and has booted seven goals for Vic Country across three games as well as 23 in the NAB League, including four hauls of four or more and five last weekend against the Western Jets. Just gets himself involved in games.

Konstanty
Needs to add size but if he can kick a goal and tackle he would be a walk up start to the team (Blame PMBangers talking him up if he is gone before the pick we wanted to use on him and pick a inside mid to try and turn into a small fwd)

176cm/70kg
9/11/04
Small forward

A former gun junior soccer player who is now a clever small forward with sharp skills and smarts around goal. His standout game of the carnival for Vic Country came against the Allies when he kicked 3.2 and buzzed around the forward line, and he will also appeal to clubs for the defensive pressure he applies. He averages six tackles a game for Gippsland and also had 14 in a game against the Geelong Falcons.

Cadman looks the goods to me for pick and fit.
I'm sure plenty will happen before the draft though.

Sheezel

13/10/04
184cm/77kg
Forward/midfielder

Cadman

196cm/88kg
3/3/04
Key forward

Konstanty

176cm/70kg
9/11/04
Small forward

Kostanty averaging 6 tackles a game as a small forward with a high of 14 is crazy good, would be great to add a pressure player like that to our forward line, the soccer background is something that really intrigues me as well, so much footwork in tight spaces and coordination is required in soccer and it can translate really well to other sports.

There has been some discussion here about the ‘go home factor’ for Victorians, particularly those from Melbourne. Though they both play for Victorian Country from what I can tell Cadman hails from the Bacchus Marsh area and Konstanty from the Warragul area; both areas are semi-rural being on the fringe of the greater Melbourne Metropolitan expanse. But then again, Cameron came from the ‘far’ county and Greene is city boy.

There has been some discussion here about the ‘go home factor’ for Victorians, particularly those from Melbourne. Though they both play for Victorian Country from what I can tell Cadman hails from the Bacchus Marsh area and Konstanty from the Warragul area; both areas are semi-rural being on the fringe of the greater Melbourne Metropolitan expanse. But then again, Cameron came from the ‘far’ county and Greene is city boy.
We do always want to put them in a neat box but there are so many factors at play.

Drafting 18yo’s most of which have never been away from home or had to be responsible for anything is extremely difficult.

The ones that have girlfriends are challenging as they often get pressure to come home. Without being a bit racist kids from some ethnic backgrounds that have a very close family environment can be very hard to draft as they get pressure from everywhere.

Some kids initially like the idea of moving from home but as soon as they are actually in the new environment they don’t really know and when the going gets tough they want out.

Other kids don’t want the disruption or change initially but then when they move they enjoy the freedom. Some of them just need good team mates and need to feel welcome.

It’s really a bit of a lottery. I do struggle a bit to see how the interviews and testing missed Bruhn, he looked the unhappiest man in the universe when we drafted him and now looks a one a done escapee.

Hately was another bizarre selection, maybe they thought because he exhibited high character that he would fit in but he was the wrong player and the SA kids are typically the hardest to place.

We are so unbelievably disadvantaged by the draft system. We hardly get anyone from the Academies and when we do we pay for it whilst other clubs have home ground advantage plus father son.

This is why I am so pro Clarkson. For all we know Yze or Kingsley may be the next great coaches but they won’t prove that for at least 3-5 years.

If we have a coach with the cache of Clarkson we will not only retain kids that may be undecided but will also attract players from elsewhere. It’s something our club has never experienced before.

My mail is that he has a strong preference to stay in Melbourne but the North job is not super appealing as they are years away from being a contender. Maybe he sits out altogether but if there is any chance we should be getting him.

We should get some senior players to meet with him and show how much they want him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back