List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Another way of saying this could be;

It's not their fault that the club matched deals that were being offered to them elsewhere.
they all took less than was offered elsewhere.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
If Phil Davis retires I do hope management look to give him a role with the club, perhaps like Bartel. He is such an impressive individual and has genuine passion for the club.

If Phil Davis retires I do hope management look to give him a role with the club, perhaps like Bartel. He is such an impressive individual and has genuine passion for the club.
I think it is a given

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
If David Mundy goes down the coaching pathway he would be a great guy to get into the club. You would not find a more professional person and a different voice. High character, what the club needs.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Wasn't surprised to hear Sam Edmund on Sen suggest that Haynes has been put on the trade table, but given his age and form doubt there would be many takers.
Is that really true, or just another journo throwing a dart? Yes, Nick's performances this year have been poor, but as I've said before, is there a reason that the club knows for that fact which might make it temporary, or a belief that it's a permanent drop off?

I see that Tom Green's been thrown up as a possible departure at year's end by one journo - I just think that's just dart throwing.

The problem is selling someone after a down year will leave opposition clubs attempting to drive down their value. Look at the Cats & Jezza.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
The more I think about our club the more I’m reluctantly forced into the notion of entire rebuild.

I can’t see how we can fix our cap and list needs where we can do it any other way. Listening to McCarthy he seems like the Captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg “Nothing to see folks, all under control.” But in reality we are in trouble.

These guys chewing up the cap are not going to take us to a flag, by the time we are next good enough they will be too old.

Might be time to make the big call and give up one or two “untouchables” and go full rebuild.

It will be much easier to teach better habits to kids.

The one guy we should be tolerant with is Haynes. He has been one of our best servants and pushed money back to help enable us to keep others. Whatever he wants and needs we should accommodate.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Wasn't surprised to hear Sam Edmund on Sen suggest that Haynes has been put on the trade table, but given his age and form doubt there would be many takers.
With Himmelberg's emergence as a defender I think trading Haynes is fine, but it'd probably be pretty difficult to find a suitor considering his age and a few people have reported a back ended contract. Probably still has a couple good years left in him if he can get fit, he's been interrupted most of this year with illness, I doubt the player we've seen the last few weeks is the true representation of what he is as a player at this point.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Jon Ralph just confirmed what we have all suspected. Whitfield has had a serious ankle injury which he had surgery on and is managing. It’s the reason for his drop off. He will not be traded.

It's good to hear, been so weird to see a lot of people in favour of looking to move him out when all we do is complain about the imbalance of this list (rightly so) and want more outside run and ball use when he's maybe the best in the comp at that when healthy. I don't normally like to guess salaries because it's so hard to tell when nothing is public but if Hopper and Taranto are on 600k each, Bruhn maybe 200k, Bobby probably similar, they should be able to clear over a mil in cap space then if Haynes moves on as well that could be almost 2 mil. Leaves plenty of room to lock down Green, Callaghan and the others coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
It's good to hear, been so weird to see a lot of people in favour of looking to move him out when all we do is complain about the imbalance of this list (rightly so) and want more outside run and ball use when he's maybe the best in the comp at that when healthy. I don't normally like to guess salaries because it's so hard to tell when nothing is public but if Hopper and Taranto are on 600k each, Bruhn maybe 200k, Bobby probably similar, they should be able to clear over a mil in cap space then if Haynes moves on as well that could be almost 2 mil. Leaves plenty of room to lock down Green, Callaghan and the others coming through.
Why would you get rid of two guys in their prime taken at pick 2 and pick 7? They should be your leaders.

Whitfield will be 29 next year, he's played his best footy and would get back good value picks or players. You could trade cognilio or Kelly straight for Grundy and get rid of the other to north.

Bruhn looks a player why get rid of him?

Suddenly you have cap space and can play the younger guys instead of seeing them leave, you could even go after degoey.

He's can't afford to be non competitive, otherwise they will die off in the Sydney market

Unless they get a top 20 pick, they should force him into the PSD, where he goes to north.

You can't have guys walk out after 2 years at your club, where youve invested a high pick, time and effort to help them settle, he's played 27 games
Yawn. Refusing compensation to spite everyone is so BF.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
What would you take for Bruhn, gws get walked over by first rounders leaving after 2 years, you can't continue to let it happen as a club
It doesn’t really matter what we want. He’s out of contract and we have a system which allows these kids to walk after one contract and choose the club they want to be traded too.

Geelong if interested will try to act in good faith but they have bigger priorities, namely Hopper and De Goey.

De Goey would definitely require a 1st rounder, Hopper should but depending on our cap management scenario might even go for a 2nd or a future selection.

Bruhn was a Pick 12 who has not established himself as best 22 in a s**t team. He will be a 2nd rounder but hopefully there is some competition for him so we can at least get an early 2nd round pick.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Need to flick the players who want out for Maximum value. Need to target list needs over inside midfielders.

1. Key Forwards
Aaron Cadman and Matthew Jefferson.

2. Forwards
Brayden George, Ollie Hotton, Jacob Konstanty

3. Key Defenders
Jedd Budslinger, Lewis Hayes

Need to back in the youth already on the list and play players in there natural position.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
It doesn’t really matter what we want. He’s out of contract and we have a system which allows these kids to walk after one contract and choose the club they want to be traded too.
Correct - our system is unique like that and it's not great. Never going to extract max value for a player.

Bruhn was a Pick 12 who has not established himself as best 22 in a s**t team. He will be a 2nd rounder but hopefully there is some competition for him so we can at least get an early 2nd round pick.
I'd hold out hope for an late first round pick but it depends on which team he nominates. If it's a good team, we might get that first rounder. If it's a crap team it should be the early second. Because he was only pick 12, not a top 5 or so pick, it means not as many teams rated him super super highly to begin with.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I'd hold out hope for an late first round pick but it depends on which team he nominates. If it's a good team, we might get that first rounder. If it's a crap team it should be the early second. Because he was only pick 12, not a top 5 or so pick, it means not as many teams rated him super super highly to begin with.
I'd say we deal with Geelong and get their first round pick either this year or future first round pick. Both should be in the late teens you would think?

Back