List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
List of initial invitees to the Draft Combine - 67 total, just 3 from NSW (2 from GWS Academy & one former member).

New South Wales
Jason Gillbee (Bendigo Pioneers)
Nick Madden (GWS Academy)
Harry Rowston (GWS Academy)

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
List of initial invitees to the Draft Combine - 67 total, just 3 from NSW (2 from GWS Academy & one former member).

New South Wales
Jason Gillbee (Bendigo Pioneers)
Nick Madden (GWS Academy)
Harry Rowston (GWS Academy)
Is our Academy performing well enough? Seems since it was restructured there has not been a lot coming through. If we consider the other issues re the origins of most draftees and the lack of Father/Son is this not something we should be fighting to change?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Is our Academy performing well enough? Seems since it was restructured there has not been a lot coming through. If we consider the other issues re the origins of most draftees and the lack of Father/Son is this not something we should be fighting to change?
We've got two more than the Swans at least

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
23A2E053-EC61-4FC5-9F5D-0AFA321B7147.jpeg

If there was ever a case of let the buyer beware.

I love this guy but red flags everywhere. Don’t double down on the mistake of not drafting him by signing him when he’s all beaten up.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I don't rate him honestly. He plays 1 or 2 good games per year. I don't see him as being in the best 10-15 rucks in the competition. Let them sign him for big cash on a multi year deal I say.
I'm in a similar position, I'm probably a little bit higher on him then you I think he'll be one of the better rucks in the comp but he defintely gets a lot of hype because he plays for Essendon. Personally wouldn't want to be committing big salaries to ruckmen long term.

Add me to the Draper being just Meh...
A bit of a cult figure due to the mullet and what not, has moments, but doesnt wow me. Very Preuss like actually.

Everytime I watch Briggs I think he looks like a long term solution I would like us to explore.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I'm in a similar position, I'm probably a little bit higher on him then you I think he'll be one of the better rucks in the comp but he defintely gets a lot of hype because he plays for Essendon. Personally wouldn't want to be committing big salaries to ruckmen long term.
Yep, not sure if I would take anyone from Essendon if they were offered up to us to be honest. Our list is still strong especially if we can get everyone on the park!

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Add me to the Draper being just Meh...
A bit of a cult figure due to the mullet and what not, has moments, but doesnt wow me. Very Preuss like actually.

Everytime I watch Briggs I think he looks like a long term solution I would like us to explore.
Agreed I see Briggs quite a bit more versatile than Flynn and I don't think he is much more of a ruckman than either Flynn or Preuss. If Preuss can put his energy into winning the ball and not killing people he would be the pick of the bunch but we all doubt that he can achieve that haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Agreed I see Briggs quite a bit more versatile than Flynn and I don't think he is much more of a ruckman than either Flynn or Preuss. If Preuss can put his energy into winning the ball and not killing people he would be the pick of the bunch but we all doubt that he can achieve that haha
I like Preuss the most out of our rucks. I don’t think Flynn is an AFL level ruck.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I've been pretty impressed with Briggs, bit annoying he hasn't played up until recently when no one really took control of the ruck job and he was always just left to play 2s. Think it's pretty likely he leaves this off-season which is a bit of a shame because he seems to work with Preuss pretty well.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I'd take Grundy at $650-700k for the rest of his contract over any of our current rucks. Briggs would be the last one I'd let go. The stress fractures is only concern. Our midfield with a top 5 ruck could see us rise very quickly.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
So DeBoer out
Briggs probably gone
Hill gone
Bruhn gone
Hopper gone
Taranto gone

Frees up a fair bit of cash
Briggs/Bobby/Bruhn/MDB maybe 800K total
Hopper and Taranto 1.2 mil

Maybe 2 mil? Gives us a bit to play with.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Except Grundy hasn’t been a top 5 ruck for a few years. Pass.
Yeah his reputation is still carrying a bit of weight for him, I was excited for him thinking a bounceback year could be in store for him but think he's past it at this point still good but not good enough to differentiate himself from other rucks at this point imo

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Possible lineup:
Himmelberg Taylor Cumming
Idun Buckley Fahey
Whitfield Callaghan Kelly
Greene Riccardi Peatling
Daniels Hogan Stone
Preuss Cogs Green

Ward Perryman Ash Haynes

Depth:
Lloyd
Wehr
Stein
Sproule
Kennedy
Keeffe
Fleeton
Derkson
Brown
Brander
Angwin
Alleer

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Possible lineup:
Idun Buckley Fahey
Greene Riccardi Peatling
Daniels Hogan Stone
Preuss Cogs Green

Ward Perryman Ash Haynes

Depth:
Lloyd
Wehr
Stein
Sproule
Kennedy
Keeffe
Fleeton
Derkson
Brown
Brander
Angwin
Alleer
More run in this lineup. Plus we end up with about 3 extra first rounders.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Possible lineup:
Idun Buckley Fahey
Greene Riccardi Peatling
Daniels Hogan Stone
Preuss Cogs Green

Ward Perryman Ash Haynes

Depth:
Lloyd
Wehr
Stein
Sproule
Kennedy
Keeffe
Fleeton
Derkson
Brown
Brander
Angwin
Alleer
Forward line is still a work in progress, but I really like everything else. Midfield and backline are really good.

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Except Grundy hasn’t been a top 5 ruck for a few years. Pass.
Sorry to intrude (came for Bobby Hill information).

Grundy versus Gawn in 2021:
1660194179203.png

Grundy versu Gawn history
1660194145017.png

Grundy has been injured this year but in general 2021 was the same as his 2017 and 2016.
He has fallen from his 2019 and 2018 levels but not by that much.

Back