List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think we should trade Haynes too. He’s on big money and we have players who can do what he does.
Think that's easier said then done at this point if his contract is as back loaded as it's been reported that might be pretty difficult. Think he'll bounce back next year to be better then then was this year but his peak is past him, still a good player left in there but AA days are probably over. Think if XO is given a bit more opportunity to play on ball next year we could see him look better then he does on the wing in space, not that he has a clean runway to on ball minutes with quite a few guys in his way still but the avenue is easier for him to get time in there with only an injury or two away. Would be happy for him to stay, seems like he's loved by the group and is solid depth if he's not playing.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry to intrude (came for Bobby Hill information).

Grundy versus Gawn in 2021:
View attachment 1472949
Grundy versu Gawn history
View attachment 1472948
Grundy has been injured this year but in general 2021 was the same as his 2017 and 2016.
He has fallen from his 2019 and 2018 levels but not by that much.
No disrespect mate but it’s a bit like listening to Collingwood supporters on talkback talking up Grundy.

It’s like “He’s really awesome, we don’t want him, but he would be amazing for you.”

Umm, yeah we will pass.

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No disrespect mate but it’s a bit like listening to Collingwood supporters on talkback talking up Grundy.

It’s like “He’s really awesome, we don’t want him, but he would be amazing for you.”

Umm, yeah we will pass.
Sorry, not trying to spruik him just trying to dispel comments that he hasn't been very good for a few years.

FWIW Collingwood contracted him (Ned Guy and the previous management) and I believe we should stick by that contract.

Appologies for the interlude.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry, not trying to spruik him just trying to dispel comments that he hasn't been very good for a few years.

FWIW Collingwood contracted him (Ned Guy and the previous management) and I believe we should stick by that contract.

Appologies for the interlude.
Don’t worry mate, we are pretty relaxed with oppo fans here, unlike some of the other forums where if you say anything you get carded! Pretty friendly folk in our small community.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Pies paying Dogs $300k p.a. for Treloar to play there; willing to pay another $300k p.a. for Grundy to play against them. Bidding for FA McStay at overs, plus Moore, Adams, JDG, Pendles, Sidey, Cox, WHE, Maynard all on good to big $.

Dr Giant

Debutant
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I think the Giants should go after Tarryn Thomas. His family are in Western Sydney. Trade him for Bruhn or Hopper, esp as Clarkson is all but going to be the coach at North…..according to VIC media

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think the Giants should go after Tarryn Thomas. His family are in Western Sydney. Trade him for Bruhn or Hopper, esp as Clarkson is all but going to be the coach at North…..according to VIC media
Really talented player who was fantastic in the back half of last year but seems to have stalled this season, might be dealing with some personal issues. If he can be healthy and put those behind him he'd be a great mid/fwd option.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I reckon the bright Sydney lights would be right up his alley. Would take his gangsta-esque Instagram presence to a whole new level

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
So if we lose players to a combination of 'go home factor' and salary cap....planning to contract Tom Green and Callaghan in future years.

I guess the question is....where do we want them to go and what are we targeting? Clearly KPF are hard to pry out of clubs. Small forwards....a little easier.
I don't see much needed in our backline currently and I think our midfield has the talent and with a new coach will be fine.

So an offensive wing and a bunch of firepower up forward....
Question is....who the f@#$ are we looking at?

Who would you like?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
No surprises with these 3 extensions - Wehr, Brown, Hamilton

That's great. I think that Brown would need to be either upgraded to Category A rookie or main list, though? He had a 4th year as Category B rookie due to COVID, but I'm pretty sure that's now up.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
So if we lose players to a combination of 'go home factor' and salary cap....planning to contract Tom Green and Callaghan in future years.

I guess the question is....where do we want them to go and what are we targeting? Clearly KPF are hard to pry out of clubs. Small forwards....a little easier.
I don't see much needed in our backline currently and I think our midfield has the talent and with a new coach will be fine.

So an offensive wing and a bunch of firepower up forward....
Question is....who the f@#$ are we looking at?

Who would you like?
Willie Rioli would be a nice fit, he's out of contract but would have a host of suitors I'd imagine so that'd be a very competitive space. If we have 4 picks in the top 30 (Bruhn, taranto. Hopper plus our own), I think using 3 of them on forwards of any shapes and sizes wouldn't be a bad idea, we really need talent there to surround Toby with. Credit to Brown for getting another contract, but not sure I would've given him one, was always going to be a project so hopefully another year in the system does him good.

That's great. I think that Brown would need to be either upgraded to Category A rookie or main list, though? He had a 4th year as Category B rookie due to COVID, but I'm pretty sure that's now up.
Promotion is probably most likely. Cat A would require delisting and re-listing, or special dispensation (again).

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Willie Rioli would be a nice fit, he's out of contract but would have a host of suitors I'd imagine so that'd be a very competitive space. If we have 4 picks in the top 30 (Bruhn, taranto. Hopper plus our own), I think using 3 of them on forwards of any shapes and sizes wouldn't be a bad idea, we really need talent there to surround Toby with. Credit to Brown for getting another contract, but not sure I would've given him one, was always going to be a project so hopefully another year in the system does him good.
I think the thing with Brown is....we know what his weapons are.. and if continues to develop them he could be a handy pressure forward that can turn defences around. He's an elite trainer and his mentality is what we need at the club....same with Leek.
I've been thinking about Rioli all year given where the Eagles rebuild is at. Definitely would add some potency.
We mostly have to find value from Don's/Richmond/Geelong/Collingwood as that seems to be where the interest is for our outgoing talent.
Draft wise I'd be taking Cadman if he's still there at our pick.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think the thing with Brown is....we know what his weapons are.. and if continues to develop them he could be a handy pressure forward that can turn defences around. He's an elite trainer and his mentality is what we need at the club....same with Leek.
I've been thinking about Rioli all year given where the Eagles rebuild is at. Definitely would add some potency.
We mostly have to find value from Don's/Richmond/Geelong/Collingwood as that seems to be where the interest is for our outgoing talent.
Draft wise I'd be taking Cadman if he's still there at our pick.
I'd take Sheezel with our top pick but if he's not there I'd look for KPF as well, like Brayden George as a back up target for that midsized forward role if we end up going KPF first, with one of other firsts

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd take Sheezel with our top pick but if he's not there I'd look for KPF as well, like Brayden George as a back up target for that midsized forward role if we end up going KPF first, with one of other firsts
I'm certainly a Sheezel fan. But I would say that there are a very limited number of KPFs in this draft who are likely to prove to be great players, and there are a number of small & medium forwards throughout the draft (George, Konstanty, Clarke, Campbell - plus some others who can play high half forward and score such as Hotton and Drury). So, I wouldn't be surprised if we prioritised KPF and selected Cadman with our early pick irrespective of Sheezel being there or not, and accepted one of the small/mediums with a later first from a trade or our early second round pick.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'm certainly a Sheezel fan. But I would say that there are a very limited number of KPFs in this draft who are likely to prove to be great players, and there are a number of small & medium forwards throughout the draft (George, Konstanty, Clarke, Campbell - plus some others who can play high half forward and score such as Hotton and Drury). So, I wouldn't be surprised if we prioritised KPF and selected Cadman with our early pick irrespective of Sheezel being there or not, and accepted one of the small/mediums with a later first from a trade or our early second round pick.
Very fair point, George + Cadman is probably a better deal then Sheezel + KPF left over

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Without going too much into depth of trade speculation, Norths' priority pick etc ... as we stand, we'll have picks #3, 21, 39 and some later selections. We have a confirmed retirement in de Boer (mid/forward), and clear shortages in KPFs and small/medium forwards.

At this stage, and presuming no machinations around JHF leaving Norths, I'd guess that they'll bid on Ashcroft, and take Sheezel at #2 (because they have a lot of midfielders), the Eagles will take Wardlaw at #3 because they desperately need a gun midfielder.

GWs options in that case would be:
  • Jye Clark - Vic Country captain / Geelong Falcons. Not quick, not flashy but solid & kicks off both feet, but is he more of the same for our midfield?
  • Elijah Tsatas - Vic Metro. Speedy, athletic outside runner ... with foot problems. Some doubt over his 2-way running.
  • Mattaes Phillipou - SA. Athletic 192 cm goal-kicking mid/forward, although limited midfield time during the National Championships. One of the youngest in this draft, so huge potential.
  • Aaron Cadman - Vic Country. KPF often compared to Jezza; very agile & can run upfield & double back. Probably his weakest attribute is actually his goal kicking - he gets plenty of opportunities but he's been inaccurate - but I imagine a club can fix that to some extent.
No offence to Clark who will be a good player, but any of the other 3 would make better sense for GWS, although I do worry a bit about Tsatas and the inference that he doesn't chase back - it should be fixable, but it just lines up with the knocks on some existing mids. And we have Callaghan and Ash who should be stepping up into a similar role, and Cooper Hamilton who can run a wing too. So, I'd probably look at Cadman as being the best option early. Hopefully he plays early next year, and we just give him a bunch of games to let him learn.

Then, depending on what we have in between picks from any trades that occur, the next guaranteed pick is #21 (which slides backwards on father/son and any priority picks). But there will be a small or medium forward there - either Jacob Konstanty or Charlie Clarke for mine.

If we do trade Taranto, Hopper and/or Bruhn, it obviously depends on what return we get as to who we can select. But a pick in the mid-teens would see me looking at Brayden George and Oliver Hollands as two good options. One a goal-kicking medium forward, and the latter an inside-outside midfielder with some speed, so both fill needs in our list. I am really unsure how the selections are likely to go - it seems that there may be quite different rankings between clubs, so it will really come down to the final draft order after trades, and who needs what and what picks they have. Those options are mostly Vic Country lads - this year provides plenty of options where we can go country (although not necessarily same club) and hopefully :praying: minimise the go-home potential.

Scrapporet

Cancelled
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
GWS

Why not as we lose players to "homesickness" he may come "home" as he is a Western Sydney lad only went to Tassie at the age of 12.

Back