List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case we shouldn't try and trade up?
If they're all good fits for us and we are happy with either of them, then why use extra picks to move up the order if we can just take the guy thats left and still be really happy. Seems like barring any drastic changes we're going to get one of Wardlaw, Sheezel or Cadman which is a really cool result.

Sheezel has said the right things about being loyal to the club that selects him. The question is, are those statements real or just the fluffy stuff that most of the prospective draftees (including presumably Tanner Bruhn) say to not create waves?

I agree it's up to our recruiting team to scrutinise him, his family, his life to date to ascertain the truth. The problem is, as I always say, if a lot of the top draftees don't want to go interstate ... how far down our list do we choose due to the potential go-home factor?

The seeming biggest issue for Harry Sheezel is his religion. He's Jewish, which is very unusual for an AFL player, and hence very heavily linked to his family and the Jewish community in Melbourne. However, Sydney has a large Jewish community too, so you would hope that he might see it as a way to expand his horizons. From his interviews, he comes across as very articulate, intelligent, self-aware; so he's probably one that I'd likely take at his word. As long as we get his inculcation into Sydney right, provide him with some community links, I could see that he'd be as good as his word.

The other knocks on Sheezel are mainly around his speed - but conversely, his overall footy IQ is probably one of the highest in this year's draft. He's sometime described as "Pendlebury-like" in his ability to sum up a situation and work out the best course of action. (There's evidence of the opposite though in some games, so, take it as a partial description.)
Has he said he only wants to play in Melbourne?

Sheezel is a super talent whos been producing like crazy at the NAB level, he's carried over his good play into the state level as well against tougher competition.
I disagree to an extent, the quality of WA/SA/Allies this year was marginally better than most NAB League sides at best, and that's probably being generous. Country v Metro was the main game to be judging Victorian talent from a 'higher level' POV.

If that's the case we shouldn't try and trade up?
Yep, as Hendo said. The cost to move up and get someone we really really want (presumably who we see filling our biggest need) would be other (potentially multiple) first round picks - which then hampers our ability to fill those only slightly lesser needs with quality draftees. And if we have one in mind, we'd need to get Norths' pick otherwise we could trade to #2 and see Norths select him anyway. Although if we had two equally ranked, then a trade with WCE could make sense. #3 to #2 while throwing in #18 or #19 would be OK in my eyes, but not #12 (which I'd expect they'd demand).

Has he said he only wants to play in Melbourne?
As per my previous post: "Sheezel has said the right things about being loyal to the club that selects him." There's a link to an interview earlier in this thread where he said that.

The problem, as I opined, is whether he speaks truthfully or whether that's just a line he's told to say. Or, he could mean it now, but not after some time in Sydney.

I think that Cadman's goal-kicking inaccuracy had him down the order initially, with the expectation that Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel would be the first 3 off the board ... Cadman now seems to have snuck up the board. But it's impossible to be certain exactly who NM & WCE will choose - indeed, one of them may trade their early pick for a brace of other picks.

I think it's a lottery at the moment - the good thing from my perspective is that any of those 3 fits a GWS need or want.
Exactly! I think either one of Wardlaw, Cadman or Sheezel (in that order for me) fit our needs. Exciting times!

Some articles from today’s newspapers. The first is by Toby Greene discussing our GF loss and the loss of current players. The other two are news on the ebbs and flows of the player trades.

AFL Grand Final 2022: Toby Greene opens up on his September experiences and the Giants exodus

Toby Greene

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

26 September 2022

I remember looking at Jeremy Cameron halfway through the third quarter of the 2019 grand final.

The ball wasn’t coming down to our forward line too often. I said to him, “Mate, we’re in a bit of trouble here. There’s not much we can do about this”.

I think he said: “This is f***ed.”

The first quarter panned out how we’d planned. We wanted to turn it into a tight contest and a stoppage game, but the Tigers were bloody good that day.

When you’ve got 100,000 people at the MCG and 80,000 of them are Richmond supporters, they certainly rode that momentum and we just felt like we couldn’t do anything about it in the second half.

In hindsight, we had a few boys that definitely weren’t 100 per cent. I didn’t know that at the time.

It’s not until the weeks after that you find out what the boys were carrying. Phil Davis was one we all knew, but there were a few more as well.

When the final siren goes you’re obviously pretty flat, and a bit embarrassed. You want to just walk off the field and not talk to anyone.

But you can’t. You’ve got to hang around for the ceremony.

It was a disappointing result, but it was also one of the better months of my life.

When we won the preliminary final against Collingwood, we flew home that night and the plane ride back to Sydney was pretty funny.

You would’ve thought we’d all had 25 beers.

We were carrying on and singing songs and there was a lot of energy.

We’d tailor songs to different players and I think most of the passengers were pretty happy for us to carry on a bit.

I’d imagine the Geelong and Sydney boys’ phones would have been going crazy this week.

It becomes a bit annoying, actually. I had well over 100 people sending their best wishes and hoping that you go well.

But you don’t want to get stuck on your phone wasting time and energy and so my advice would be to just reply in a week or two.

Grand final week is different to any other football week.

It’s funny, at the 2019 parade we were playing Richmond and so I was just getting hounded for 30 minutes.

I wanted the car driver to go a bit quicker to hurry it up, but it was pretty cool seeing that many footy fans in the city.

The night before the game is when you’re most tense. You feel a few nerves and may overthink things.

On the morning of the game, I went for a walk to get a coffee and had a lot of people coming up wishing you good luck.

When you’re not in the finals you’re pretty flat for the whole series, and when we’ve lost prelims or semi-finals you’re super flat.

You don’t really want to watch the grand final. You don’t want a bar of it.

I remember being at a boat party in Sydney when the Tigers won in 2017 and something similar in 2016 when the Bulldogs won.

I couldn’t watch the footy and I didn’t want to hear about it either.

But this year we were nowhere near it. We weren’t playing finals, so you’re not as jealous.

We’ve got a bit of work to do to get back there because we were a fair way off it this year.

I’m looking forward to getting Adam Kingsley in as the new coach and there’s going to be a fair bit of change at the footy club.

There’s obviously a couple of players leaving that I’m flat about.

I probably knew a couple of them were going to happen. It just had to with the way our list looked – we had eight or nine midfielders running around this year.

It’s disappointing, but understandable.

Timmy Taranto and Jacob Hopper have been there a while and they’re maybe victims of the midfield and understand the opportunities they get that we couldn’t accommodate.

Tanner Bruhn is a good kid. He shows a lot of training but it probably just hasn’t transferred into a game yet. But I’m sure that’s not too far away.

I definitely tried to help Tanner this year, I’m pretty close with him. He talked about his future a couple of times throughout the year and he was just torn on what to do.

Bobby Hill is a disappointing one as well, but it’s part of football.

So we’ve got to make some good deals during the trade period and build up next year to try to get back to finals and then go from there.

There’s no guarantees and there’s a lot of hard work.

We were super disappointed with this year, but I’m confident we can bounce back.

AFL 2022: Latest trade, free agency and contract updates

Jon Ralph

26 September 2022

... Collingwood will make a last-ditch bid to keep flying forward Ollie Henry as he weighs up a move to join Geelong’s back-to-back premiership tilt. The Magpies do not want to lose the talented goal kicker despite moves to land Brisbane free agent Dan McStay and GWS speedster Bobby Hill.....

... Geelong has significant salary cap room after missing out on GWS onballer Jacob Hopper, while Melbourne is set to pickup star ruckman Brodie Grundy from Collingwood. The Cats could offer a long-term deal to Henry as well as land GWS midfielder Tanner Bruhn in a boss to Chris Scott’s midfield stocks. Bruhn performed well in the second half of this season but has made the unsurprising choice to return home to Victoria after two years. GWS was aware Bruhn could pursue a move back to Victoria at the end of his first contract to be closer to his family....

Trade guide: Every club’s targets and potential departures in 2022
By Jon Ralph and Sam Landsberger and Simeon Thomas-Wilson

26 September 2022

GWS GIANTS

For new coach Adam Kingsley it will be a bitterly tough pill to swallow losing Jacob Hopper (Richmond), Tim Taranto (Richmond), Tanner Bruhn (Geelong) and Bobby Hill (Collingwood) to Melbourne clubs with little coming back the other way so far except draft picks. The Giants should reap three first-rounders at least from Richmond and a second-rounder for Hill. Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea should be the first player the Giants ask about in the Bruhn trade after making similar inquiries two years ago. He can ruck, play key forward, was tried back late in the year and won’t get games at Geelong. Ivan Soldo is a Tiger who could be in the mix.

LIKELY INS: No one yet

LIKELY OUTS: Jacob Hopper, Tim Taranto, Tanner Bruhn, Bobby Hill

Last edited:
I can't work out why we keep getting linked to second string rucks from other clubs, we are already stocked with them.
I agree, and rucks take a long time and we have given time to our lads so why not a little more.

Our concerns are we don’t have a stand out key forward, Hogan tries hard but would be so much more valuable if we had a centerpiece. We simply have to invest heavily in a key forward.

We then need to invest in team first two way running small forwards and role playing guys that are versatile. These agile tackling small forwards that also have skill are game changers and create disruption and opportunity for other players.

We need to spend the next 3 or 4 drafts investing heavily in team first agile players with a strong pride in defensive accountability, disrupters that are happy to be moved around and play where the team needs them.

We then need to blend these with some elite runners that can be strong in the trenches and we should have a balanced team for the modern game.

We don’t need showboating ego centric selfish one way running softcocks, we have had our fill of these and they will take us nowhere.

Rucks….yeah sure if we can improve our stocks look at it but that is hardly our main area of concern.

I can't work out why we keep getting linked to second string rucks from other clubs, we are already stocked with them.
Seems the media thinking is that we were interested in Grundy so we must be interested in any ruck. When the actual situation is we wanted Grundy because he is one of the best rucks in the comp but if we can't get that level ruck the club is content to go with our current rucks.

I agree, and rucks take a long time and we have given time to our lads so why not a little more.

Our concerns are we don’t have a stand out key forward, Hogan tries hard but would be so much more valuable if we had a centerpiece. We simply have to invest heavily in a key forward.

We then need to invest in team first two way running small forwards and role playing guys that are versatile. These agile tackling small forwards that also have skill are game changers and create disruption and opportunity for other players.

We need to spend the next 3 or 4 drafts investing heavily in team first agile players with a strong pride in defensive accountability, disrupters that are happy to be moved around and play where the team needs them.

We then need to blend these with some elite runners that can be strong in the trenches and we should have a balanced team for the modern game.

We don’t need showboating ego centric selfish one way running softcocks, we have had our fill of these and they will take us nowhere.

Rucks….yeah sure if we can improve our stocks look at it but that is hardly our main area of concern.
I'd have Greene as our best key fwd, not a tall but plays more tall than small. Hogan still has elite traits but his body has failed him but he definitely improved in that area this year. Playing a resting ruck fwd makes 3 guys who have very little defensive attributes. Agreed an indigenous small fwd tackling machine in the mould of Kozi Pickett or Maurice Rioli jnr would make a world of difference to our fwd set up.

Not to intrude but esava has never been good as a ruck (not his fault he had to play there when all our rucks were injured). He has shown a bit at afl level as a forward but this year has been played as a key defender in the vfl and been quite good. So i assume if you were looking at him it would be to potentially play as a key back more than anything else. Probably just HS made up stuff though.

McCartney was questioned on the club's interest in Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy, who is expected to depart the Magpies this year with five years remaining on his contract. While Grundy and the Giants had held talks, a move to Western Sydney isn't on the cards according to McCartney.

The Giants will be forced to bid farewell to small forward Bobby Hill this off-season, 12 months after his request to move to Victoria. A deal between the Giants and Essendon failed to transpire, seeing Hill see out the final year of his contract. Currently continuing in his recovery after a battle with testicular cancer, Hill is in good health and is seeking a move to Collingwood this year. McCartney revealed Hill will land with the Magpies as the club looks to help the young forward after a challenging year. "I’ve been talking to Graham Wright for a week and a half, that’s something we’ll be able to facilitate and that will be something that would be done pretty early in the trade period and he will make his way to Collingwood.”

Both Taranto and Hopper are set to depart after 114 games for the club, while Bruhn is expected to leave for a return to Victoria after just two seasons. While the pair of departures in Taranto and Hopper to join Richmond was a "rare" occurrence, McCartney expressed his disappointment in losing Bruhn after just 30 AFL games, stating rookie contracts should be extended beyond two years. “Obviously it’s disappointing," McCartney said. “It is disappointing. It’s a reality. It looks like it is leaning that way with Geelong and we’ll sit down with Andrew Mackie and thrash out what we can get done there. Two years, that is really disappointing. No doubt there has been conversations had for a while and the AFLPA is involved, but our conversations with the AFLPA are around that fact. Those first-year draftees, the two-year standard contract needs to be longer, that’s for sure."

While this year looks to be the same as far as outgoing names, GWS football boss Jason McCartney has revealed the club are looking to break the trend of only adding to their draft hand, with the club hopeful of acquiring a number of signatures for 2023. "It will be busy for us," McCartney told AFL Trade Radio. "Our strategy, we know there's some players going out. We've identified a couple of areas in need and we've been in conversations with one or two players we're hopeful we'll be able to bring in. At any stage you don't want to be losing quality players. We know what we're working through now and what we've got ahead. We can be a player in that free agency and trade space more than what we have been, rather than just the picks coming back."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Hunter weighing up his future supposedly. 2 years left on a 5-year deal - no idea how much. Would he attract interest from GWS to return some experience to our squad? How much of a point of difference to our existing team do we see him?

Would he even be interested in moving to Sydney?

Lachie Hunter weighing up his future supposedly. 2 years left on a 5-year deal - no idea how much. Would he attract interest from GWS to return some experience to our squad? How much of a point of difference to our existing team do we see him?

He has some issues mate, probably not worth pursuing.

McCartney was questioned on the club's interest in Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy, who is expected to depart the Magpies this year with five years remaining on his contract. While Grundy and the Giants had held talks, a move to Western Sydney isn't on the cards according to McCartney.

The Giants will be forced to bid farewell to small forward Bobby Hill this off-season, 12 months after his request to move to Victoria. A deal between the Giants and Essendon failed to transpire, seeing Hill see out the final year of his contract. Currently continuing in his recovery after a battle with testicular cancer, Hill is in good health and is seeking a move to Collingwood this year. McCartney revealed Hill will land with the Magpies as the club looks to help the young forward after a challenging year. "I’ve been talking to Graham Wright for a week and a half, that’s something we’ll be able to facilitate and that will be something that would be done pretty early in the trade period and he will make his way to Collingwood.”

Both Taranto and Hopper are set to depart after 114 games for the club, while Bruhn is expected to leave for a return to Victoria after just two seasons. While the pair of departures in Taranto and Hopper to join Richmond was a "rare" occurrence, McCartney expressed his disappointment in losing Bruhn after just 30 AFL games, stating rookie contracts should be extended beyond two years. “Obviously it’s disappointing," McCartney said. “It is disappointing. It’s a reality. It looks like it is leaning that way with Geelong and we’ll sit down with Andrew Mackie and thrash out what we can get done there. Two years, that is really disappointing. No doubt there has been conversations had for a while and the AFLPA is involved, but our conversations with the AFLPA are around that fact. Those first-year draftees, the two-year standard contract needs to be longer, that’s for sure."

While this year looks to be the same as far as outgoing names, GWS football boss Jason McCartney has revealed the club are looking to break the trend of only adding to their draft hand, with the club hopeful of acquiring a number of signatures for 2023. "It will be busy for us," McCartney told AFL Trade Radio. "Our strategy, we know there's some players going out. We've identified a couple of areas in need and we've been in conversations with one or two players we're hopeful we'll be able to bring in. At any stage you don't want to be losing quality players. We know what we're working through now and what we've got ahead. We can be a player in that free agency and trade space more than what we have been, rather than just the picks coming back."

Interesting to see who they are talking to to bring in

And if you listen to the interview itself, thought it was pretty sad that he points out that the academy has yielded virtually nothing from Western Sydney over a ten year period. Academy kids from the Riverina have no more reason to stay at the club than interstate draftees.

He has some issues mate, probably not worth pursuing.
I agree he has issues - the point is, can we take advantage? Or is there an overwhelming red flag?

We're never going to prise anyone decent from an AFL heartland club just on "the benefits of living in Sydney" (IMHO) or by offering more $.

We got Mumford because Buddy priced him out of Swans.
We got Stevie J because Cats retired him slightly earlier than he wanted.
We got Heater because he clashed with Bucks.
We got Joel Patfull because his wife wanted to come to Sydney.
We got Jesse Hogan because the spotlight & expectation in WA was hurting him.

I'm not saying we should, just asking the first question - can he add anything to our team?

If he could, what's the cost, and would he be interested?

If there's a red flag on him, does getting out of Melbourne reduce the red flag such that it's worth the risk?

Yeah for sure adds something different to our midfield group, him at his best and Whitfield is instantly one of the best wing duos in the comp. Obviously depends on the price but would pursure for sure.

Yeah for sure adds something different to our midfield group, him at his best and Whitfield is instantly one of the best wing duos in the comp. Obviously depends on the price but would pursure for sure.
Lachie Hunter is so far past his prime it's not funny and will only stop our younger guys getting games. I doubt Hunter wants to come to Sydney to play in the VFL. Pick 2 out of Callaghan, Whitfield, Wehr, Ash, Fahey, Angwin, Hamilton, I would take any of these guys over Hunter...

Brisbane has today announced a trio of delistings. Ely Smith, Mitch Cox and Deividas Uosis have been informed they will not be receiving new contracts. None of the three featured at AFL level for the Lions.

Anyone have thoughts on Ely Smith? Big solid lad, ex-GWS Academy. Heavily inside mid, unable to crack the Lions line-up. Would only be used as cheap backup/injury cover. Personally, I'd say no, but he'd be an option if we wanted to try to break out of our usual boom/bust (high draft pick moving after 2 or 3 years).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back