List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Even hearing McCartney say 'none of our rucks had taken the no 1 spot'...it didn't sound like any of them were leaving.
We are probably happy with how Preuss looks if he can stay on the ground.
The idea that soldo holds value in this trade is just Richmond fans trying to offload crap.
They can go find some top quality picks if they want good quality players
He was pretty complimentary of Briggs' patch towards the end of the year, think if I had to pick who the R1 ruck is it'd be Briggs

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
He was pretty complimentary of Briggs' patch towards the end of the year, think if I had to pick who the R1 ruck is it'd be Briggs
Interesting. I still think Preuss is the only one with an elite ceiling. The other two are alright but don't impact the game for me...they aren't a 'threat'. I think Preuss has the ability and size to actually impose himself on teams and challenge top level rucks. I guess we will find out.

Either way Soldo carries no value in a trade.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_20220927_181052.jpg
IMG_20220927_181052.jpg
here you go. Done

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
In the end you would think it will be down to Kingsley. Basing it off Richmond's rucks you would think he would want a big physical ruckman capable on the ground. Pruess is big and physical and Briggs is capable on the ground. I just see Flynn as too nice to play the enforcer role

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The Giants are pretty organised after Phil Davis confirmed he was postponing retirement to play in 2023, plus the delistings of Jarrod Brander, Zach Sproule and Jake Stein, and Matt de Boer’s retirement. GWS football and list boss Jason McCartney’s biggest task is getting a good return on Richmond-bound pair Jacob Hopper and Taranto, as well as Bruhn (Geelong) and Hill (Collingwood). A future second-round pick is expected to seal Hill’s path to the Pies. O’Halloran and Shaw are playing the waiting game.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Even hearing McCartney say 'none of our rucks had taken the no 1 spot'...it didn't sound like any of them were leaving.
We are probably happy with how Preuss looks if he can stay on the ground.
The idea that soldo holds value in this trade is just Richmond fans trying to offload crap.
They can go find some top quality picks if they want good quality players

If Kingsley can get through to Preuss' head the first ruck conundrum is sorted.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t hate the idea of Quinton Narkle as a delisted free agent.

He has good speed and skill and has had a good grounding.

I’m not saying he’s necessarily best 22 but he would be on the fringe and good depth, way better than O’Halloran.

Don’t think he would cost much in terms of salary.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t hate the idea of Quinton Narkle as a delisted free agent.

He has good speed and skill and has had a good grounding.

I’m not saying he’s necessarily best 22 but he would be on the fringe and good depth, way better than O’Halloran.

Don’t think he would cost much in terms of salary.
I am happy getting players that are delisted that show something. Narkle could be an option but it really depends on his buy-in. I would rather Toby Bedford. I would happily pay our second rounder for him I think.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
I am happy getting players that are delisted that show something. Narkle could be an option but it really depends on his buy-in. I would rather Toby Bedford. I would happily pay our second rounder for him I think.
Bedford and Weideman would be handy.
I can see Weideman being a strong option next to Hogan if we keep Himmel in the back line.
I'm really hoping that Riccardi can go to the next level next year...he's starting to hit the age bracket where his development should really start helping...such a strong contested mark....if he can get his accuracy up he could really solidify his spot

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Bedford and Weideman would be handy.
I can see Weideman being a strong option next to Hogan if we keep Himmel in the back line.
I'm really hoping that Riccardi can go to the next level next year...he's starting to hit the age bracket where his development should really start helping...such a strong contested mark....if he can get his accuracy up he could really solidify his spot
There's a reason Weideman isn't playing it's because he hasn't been that effective, Melbourne have been crying out for a key forward to take charge but it hasn't happened this year. Jenkins mentioned maybe it's worth trying him as a defender, don't mind that idea but don't think we're in need of another KPD with the guys we have back there already. Big year for Riccardi, out of contract this year and if he doesn't start to put it together he's probably going to have to find a new club, hopefully Kingsley gives him consistent games because I thought he last year he played less then he deserved too.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
There's a reason Weideman isn't playing it's because he hasn't been that effective, Melbourne have been crying out for a key forward to take charge but it hasn't happened this year. Jenkins mentioned maybe it's worth trying him as a defender, don't mind that idea but don't think we're in need of another KPD with the guys we have back there already. Big year for Riccardi, out of contract this year and if he doesn't start to put it together he's probably going to have to find a new club, hopefully Kingsley gives him consistent games because I thought he last year he played less then he deserved too.
Yeah I agree on the Weideman thing...probably best to just play Riccardi and see if a new coach and style work for him a bit better.
He's still young but we probably haven't seen enough flashes of brilliance just yet.
I'm kinda just looking for that tall that we can pair with Hogan. I'm praying that it's Cadman.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah I agree on the Weideman thing...probably best to just play Riccardi and see if a new coach and style work for him a bit better.
He's still young but we probably haven't seen enough flashes of brilliance just yet.
I'm kinda just looking for that tall that we can pair with Hogan. I'm praying that it's Cadman.
Yeah our forward line could really use another tall to play off Hogan. Think with Cadman (and pretty much every KPF prospect) is that they're not going to be very impactful the first year and likely the second year as well, they really take a few years to develop. If we get Cadman we probably have to already be thinking about who we're going to be pairing with him, maybe that's Riccardi unlikely at this point, maybe Derksen but we haven't seen him even play a senior game yet or we need to draft another tall pretty high. By the time Cadman is playing really good footy 3 years from now do we really trust Hogan's body to not be broken down by then?

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah our forward line could really use another tall to play off Hogan. Think with Cadman (and pretty much every KPF prospect) is that they're not going to be very impactful the first year and likely the second year as well, they really take a few years to develop. If we get Cadman we probably have to already be thinking about who we're going to be pairing with him, maybe that's Riccardi unlikely at this point, maybe Derksen but we haven't seen him even play a senior game yet or we need to draft another tall pretty high. By the time Cadman is playing really good footy 3 years from now do we really trust Hogan's body to not be broken down by then?
Yeah that's usually the case with talls coming into AFL but I kinda figured given his mobility and tank that he might be good enough to get quite a few games early in his career like Jezza(different I know), if he's playing 3rd tall kinda role.
I'm not expecting him to come in and dominate but depends what his preseason is like I suppose.
I would have loved to see Derksen get a game last year...our forward line potency really needs a shot in the arm and I'm just not seeing it yet.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah that's usually the case with talls coming into AFL but I kinda figured given his mobility and tank that he might be good enough to get quite a few games early in his career like Jezza(different I know), if he's playing 3rd tall kinda role.
I'm not expecting him to come in and dominate but depends what his preseason is like I suppose.
I would have loved to see Derksen get a game last year...our forward line potency really needs a shot in the arm and I'm just not seeing it yet.
Think we almost need one of Derksen or Riccardi to be good enough to play consistently next year which isn't a great spot to be in. Honestly really like this team outside of our KPF, our back 6 should be really good got a good balance of skills there, still plenty of talent in the midfield and the lack of excess mids should free up some guys to play real roles like HF and wing, we got a good chance this offseason to add multiple forward options of all different sizes that we need.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Think we almost need one of Derksen or Riccardi to be good enough to play consistently next year which isn't a great spot to be in. Honestly really like this team outside of our KPF, our back 6 should be really good got a good balance of skills there, still plenty of talent in the midfield and the lack of excess mids should free up some guys to play real roles like HF and wing, we got a good chance this offseason to add multiple forward options of all different sizes that we need.
Yeah I think it opens us nicely and with a new free/fast game plan it could be a much better year.
Daniels and Stone can hopefully stay on the park and give us a spark up forward...I still think we are at least one Key Position Forward down...I just don't know who we would target.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah I think it opens us nicely and with a new free/fast game plan it could be a much better year.
Daniels and Stone can hopefully stay on the park and give us a spark up forward...I still think we are at least one Key Position Forward down...I just don't know who we would target.
The reality is unless someone internally takes the jump next year then we're still going to have KPF issues and maybe the style Kingsley wants to play can minimise the importance of having a second KPF but it's still important. There just isn't ready made second tall quality KPF out there ready to be scooped up because they're too valuable for teams to let go, the ones avaliable are the ones that have been given every possible chance and still haven't worked out like Weideman. This is all assuming Hogan stays healthy again which history tells us isn't likely to happen, if he works through injury issues next year then we won't really have any KPF and we're just banking on Derksen or Riccardi (maybe Cadman) being playable.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
So guys I have been giving this a lot of thought I am just unsure how to put it in writing properly yet but going to give it a crack.

A new era...
The AFL is moving into a new era whereby our drafting it moving in a similar way to what happens in America. As what is happening this year at the Gold Coast Suns they are moving on salary (Jack Bowes) by offering up a draft pick (pick #7). They way I see this going is clubs needing talent are willing to take on big salaries of clubs which have a plethora of talent ie. GWS and GCS.

How this fits in for the Giants...
I see how this would fit in for the Giants into the future is say for example this year during trade period we load up on future selections for the 2023 draft. Namely Geelong's 1st rounder 2023, Richmond's 1st rounder 2023, Collingwood 2nd rounder 2023 plus obviously our own selections.
What I think should be the plan for the Giants is look to keep moving those picks further into the future each year until there is an absolute gun key forward that we can pounce on. Now what would happen is say the first rounder is an out and out gun (one of the King boys), Sam Darcy, Naughton etc and we are able to pry them out with multiple first rounders.

How the picks and salary cap work into it....
Say we target Aaron Naughton next year and say the Bulldogs are struggling with their salary cap. Let's say Naughton is worth 2 first rounders (which is probably right), we offer up 3 first rounders to land him because we have banked them from the previous year and the Dogs pay a portion of his salary as well for that extra first rounder. For arguments sake let's say the clubs view pick #12 as worth $250k per year we can then get Naughton or a good young proven key forward on our books on a 900k per year deal and only have to pay them $650k per year with the Dogs locked into paying x amount of years the $250k amount.

Why the Giants don't want to just keep loading up on first rounders and using them....
The Giants do NOT want to be in the situation every year where they bring in 2-4 first rounders every year as this smashes the salary cap once their initial 2 year contract expires, likely the first rounders who expect to be playing (rightly or wrongly) from round 1 in a key role can't be guaranteed that and move back to Vic after their initial contract is up and in the case of Hately, Caldwell, Bruhn etc we don't get near enough compensation for them in return.

If Jason McCartney can give me a call I can run him through it haha

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
So let's keep banking those first rounders. I would love if we only take #3 and #12 into the draft and the others that we might get and even #22 we try and trade out to next year. Obviously we can still draft an academy player as a role player, I would love a Jake Aarts, Toby Bedford type in the mix where we don't have to pay the world for them and they'll just be happy to play a role and get a game. But, we should not be taking say 4 first rounders in the same draft other wise at least 2 will leave for less after the 2 seasons

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
So let's keep banking those first rounders. I would love if we only take #3 and #12 into the draft and the others that we might get and even #22 we try and trade out to next year. Obviously we can still draft an academy player as a role player, I would love a Jake Aarts, Toby Bedford type in the mix where we don't have to pay the world for them and they'll just be happy to play a role and get a game. But, we should not be taking say 4 first rounders in the same draft other wise at least 2 will leave for less after the 2 seasons
You're making too much sense

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
But another Giant selected in the opening round of the draft – Xavier O'Halloran – is currently in limbo. The 2018 pick No.22 is hopeful of earning another deal to remain at the Giants, but will need to wait and see where things sit after the trade period. It is understood that some Victorian-based clubs have expressed interest in the Western Jets product. O'Halloran played 14 games in 2022 – three times as the medi-sub – after playing 17 games last year for a total of 33. GWS is believed to be open to re-signing the 22-year-old for 2023, but want to wait until it deals with the trade period before making a final decision on O'Halloran.

Back