List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Why not? Because we use 19 and/ or 31 to get a future first, which could be top 10 for anybody ( even Geelong/ Melbourne/ brisbane/ Sydney could win say 12 games and miss the 8 next year ,especially if they have injuries to key players).
There is no reason for us to make a trade like that, doesn't really achieve anything. We fall back a couple swaps and replace 31 with what will be a similar position.
We would just use pick 19 unless someone is prepared to pay a premium for it to get a slider.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
People want to be careful, even in “super drafts” talent tends to thin out after a certain number. Unless you are accumulating to go all in for someone but even then a kid like Reid is not getting traded.

I like where our picks sit this year, we can really address some areas of need. I favour bringing in one more tall defender for depth after Cadman and then some speedy smalls and Rowston. This draft actually fits our needs.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
A few of these mock drafts have us taking kpd.
I think that is outdated thinking about our list.
Yeah agreed don't really see it as a need at all unless they're planning on taking one quite a bit later in the draft. Maybe taking one late to replace Keefe/Davis when they fall off the list at the end of next year but would imagine thats something you can grab as DFA or next year's draft

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Best 23- Round 1
B- L.Aleer S.Taylor C.Idun
HB- L.Whitfield H.Himmleberg I.Cumming
C- F.Callaghan T.Green L.Ash
HF- T.Greene J.Ricarddi J.Peatling
F- A.Cadman J.Hogan T.Bedford
FOLL- M.Flynn S.Coniglio J.Kelly
I/C- B.Daniels, H.Perryman, K.Briggs, N.Haynes, C.Ward

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Best 23- Round 1
Don't think it's far off, would have Buckley over Leek personally but everything else seems about right. Stone would probably play as well maybe over Peatling.

Best 23- Round 1
Don't think it's far off, would have Buckley over Leek personally but everything else seems about right. Stone would probably play as well maybe over Peatling.
Agree pretty close.

I too think Buckley plays and Stone definitely plays as well.

The Rucks will be interesting to see which way we go.

Any of Fahey, Wehr, A Kennedy, Angwin or Hamilton could be a surprise inclusion if the new coach opts for some run, but not sure who misses for that.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah agreed don't really see it as a need at all unless they're planning on taking one quite a bit later in the draft. Maybe taking one late to replace Keefe/Davis when they fall off the list at the end of next year but would imagine thats something you can grab as DFA or next year's draft
Davis if he plays is high risk, Keeffe is on his last legs. We have Taylor who is a machine and Alleer who showed flashes but still raw and if we draft someone it takes 2 or 3 years to physically develop.

That tells me we need another KPD and we aren’t going to get one late in the draft.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We have 6 full-on KPDs (Taylor, Keeffe, Davis, Buckley, Aleer & Haynes), 2 third-tall types (Idun & Fleeton) and Himmelberg who can play back if required. Plus, potentially Derksen can be developed as a KPD if he isn't a success up forward.

While I agree that Phil & Keeffe are ageing, we just released the younger Stein rather than retire one of them. So I'd be surprised if we did go for a tall in this draft given we have effectively 9 in the mix already.

I don't disagree that we need to look at replacements for Davis & Keeffe ... I just don't see from our recent history that we'll do it this year.

Now, I would allow that if we select Barnett (ruck, who can also be developed as a KPD) I would be less surprised, although I don't really think we'll do that.

We have 6 full-on KPDs (Taylor, Keeffe, Davis, Buckley, Aleer & Haynes), 2 third-tall types (Idun & Fleeton) and Himmelberg who can play back if required. Plus, potentially Derksen can be developed as a KPD if he isn't a success up forward.

While I agree that Phil & Keeffe are ageing, we just released the younger Stein rather than retire one of them. So I'd be surprised if we did go for a tall in this draft given we have effectively 9 in the mix already.

I don't disagree that we need to look at replacements for Davis & Keeffe ... I just don't see from our recent history that we'll do it this year.

Now, I would allow that if we select Barnett (ruck, who can also be developed as a KPD) I would be less surprised, although I don't really think we'll do that.
That is in line with my thinking.

I suspect Himmelberg plays back this year.

I thought the defence side of his game was really good. A year training down back, he'll be better again.
Making it 7 genuine kpd.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'd want to see Himmelberg play in defence this year rather then up forward but things do fit a bit cleaner if he does play forward, allows Haynes to play as the natural third tall and then Idun as the mid/small shutdown type.

It seems obvious that we go Cadman at 1 as a tall

15,18, 19 I reckon will be 2 players that can view as small forwards (who may be playing midfield at the moment) and either another tall forward or an outside player of some type.

Than we'll take Rowsten

There may be some trading if we can extract some value from 19 and/or we may trade away 31 to see if we can take Rowsten with junk pick points.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
It seems obvious that we go Cadman at 1 as a tall

15,18, 19 I reckon will be 2 players that can view as small forwards (who may be playing midfield at the moment) and either another tall forward or an outside player of some type.

Than we'll take Rowsten

There may be some trading if we can extract some value from 19 and/or we may trade away 31 to see if we can take Rowsten with junk pick points.
With the amount of buzz around 19 being traded I'd be surprised if it doesn't at this point it just makes too much sense, glad they've waited to pull the trigger until the draft. Might be 19 for a F1 or a small trade back into the second round and picking up an F2 next year, would perfer the F1 because we don't need quantity at this point. Would target Collingwood's F1 because they're destined to regress next year and that pick could look pretty good or a team like the Saints.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Unless we can package 19 to get into first 12 for someone or several we have targeted the value is to hold it until the end of round 1.

Someone who is rated by a club will slip through and that’s when we can extract value.

If we don’t get a compelling offer we use it on one of the small forwards that will still be there.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Win some prizes, potentially look like a future reader or just have bragging rights, everyone should enter the draft tipping comp and we can collectively laugh at those that got it wrong!

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
We need to stop playing midfielders in a small forward role. We need genuine crumbers who can run and pressure.

For mine its more about skillset rather than being a small forward at u18 level and jones fits that and especially fits the high character element that Caruso always talks about. But also, won't be surprised if we just end up going with Charlie Clarke and Konstanty instead but personally would be happy with any two of Jones, Charlie or Konstanty.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Some Darcy Jones highlights

The stop/start ability really shows through on the footage not just a guy that tested well but really uses it functionally. Can cut in and out defenders really well.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The stop/start ability really shows through on the footage not just a guy that tested well but really uses it functionally. Can cut in and out defenders really well.
yep, and very different to someone like Bonar who tested very well but for the most part you didn't see those athletic elements in his game.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Unless we can package 19 to get into first 12 for someone or several we have targeted the value is to hold it until the end of round 1.

Someone who is rated by a club will slip through and that’s when we can extract value.

If we don’t get a compelling offer we use it on one of the small forwards that will still be there.

I'm gonna tip somebody is prepared to reach for Ethan Phillips. The pedigree for Fothergill Round medalists makes it worth it and he is the prototype for a modern day defender. Don't think he fits into our defence plans though with taking Leek last year, we should go younger if they want a KPD, but it's worth bluffing to get a good return.

Back