List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about Konstanty and I know Castanga has become a bit of a meme sort of joke player at this point to many but at his peak he was 25-30 goals a year while being one of if not the best pressure forward in the competition if we can get a bit better version of that from Konstanty I'd say that's a reallygood outcome. Maybe someone that can kick 35ish goals a year while being one of the leading pressure players i50 would be well worth the pick, how many small forwards out there are both dynamic offensive players while also providing high quality defensive pressure.
The related questions are:
  • can Daniels overcome his hamstring problems and become a regular player (since he provides that pressure too)?
  • can Daniels add more goal-kicking to his repertoire?
  • what does Bedford bring - is he similar in terms of goals + pressure?
  • what does Charlie Clarke bring as an alternative or additional - goals + pressure?
  • how many small/medium forwards is the right number for the list?

Yes, of course. Which is essentially irrelevant for the purposes on the ND, but technically correct. Good pick-up.

However, I would still have that at 37 not 38. 31 + 5 + 1. Who's the 38th player they're counting?
I think it is an indication of how many we'll actually pick which is different to how many selections we can take in if that makes sense

I think it is an indication of how many we'll actually pick which is different to how many selections we can take in if that makes sense
Perhaps. Although that's not how I read the intent of the article's set up.

Sorry, I just find it frustrating that both VFL House and media are so casual with their "facts" and IMHO often incorrect in the info they put out.

I'm a precise sort of person - pedantic even! - and it just grates on me!!

The related questions are:
  • can Daniels overcome his hamstring problems and become a regular player (since he provides that pressure too)?
  • can Daniels add more goal-kicking to his repertoire?
  • what does Bedford bring - is he similar in terms of goals + pressure?
  • what does Charlie Clarke bring as an alternative or additional - goals + pressure?
  • how many small/medium forwards is the right number for the list?
Think Bedford, Daniels and Konstanty are all above average pressure players and having 3 guys like that roaming i50 is pretty dangerous and if that high press turnover game is more emphasised then I think they could be a really good trio. It's hard to know on Daniels he hasn't really shown the goal kicking impact that you'd love to see, in his most recent full year he kicked 11 with 20 behinds so a decent amount of scoring shots but converted pretty poorly but you'd still hope for more then that. He's still only 23 so there's still plenty of room for him to improve especially because he hasn't played heaps of games for someone that age, there's still a fair bit of a development left on the bone. Peatling is also an interesting flyer, not really sure what to expect from him, his first few games under McVeigh were great but after that he had some injuries and never really captured the same impact and whether if that was the injuries weighing on him and he wasn't the same physically or the 3 game stretch was just lightning in a bottle and he could never quite recapture that form. Clarke's a bit of a different profile to the rest of the guys in the sense that he's kicked big bags of goals and you'd hope that's something he can translate to the next level as a genuine impact offensive players that defenses have to account for otherwise he's going to kick multiple goals. If we're picking 7 forwards and everyone is healthy I think the mix is:
Talls: Hogan, Cadman and Riccardi
General: Stone, Daniels, Bedford, Greene
Feel like that gives you a pretty good balance, you could swap Riccardi or Cadman for another general and would think that's fine too like a Konstanty, Clarke or Peatling.

Our 24 and under talent would look something like
Taylor, Stone, Daniels, Cadman, Finn, Green, Perryman, Leek, Ash, Idun, Bedford, Fahey, Flynn, Briggs, Buckley, George, Konstanty, Jones and Rowston + others. That's really good?

Last edited:
Be shocked if we do as per Twomey.
But he is normally pretty good.
I'd like to see us take Hewett at 15 if Jefferson is not available
Which of the picks are shocking to you? They're all players we've been linked to for quite a while and fill needs for us.

Which of the picks are shocking to you? They're all players we've been linked to for quite a while and fill needs for us.
Individually all are in the mix, but taking 3 guys who are most likely to play the small forward role seems unbalanced to me.
I know George will run through the midfield as well, but all too samey.

Individually all are in the mix, but taking 3 guys who are most likely to play the small forward role seems unbalanced to me.
I'm of a similar view. Small/medium forward is a position we're lacking in, but going 3 of them seems an overload. Yes, Brayden George is believed to have capacity to run through the midfield - but that's never actually been tested due to his injury. And Darcy Jones is a midfielder at U18, but it's unsure if he can do that at AFL level, hence why he'd likely start as a small forward. Add in George's injury and Jones' size queries, and that's 2 out of 4 with queries. I'm just not of the view that we should gamble that way.

I feel that this year is one year that Cal may have gotten less substantive info, or even some misinformation, so I think there's likely to be a greater guess factor in these.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I can see that but they also may see Jones as winger? Tough to tell how they view but I do think there's enough variety in the type of roles they'll play to make it alright. Konstanty the pressure defensive minded forward, George mid sized forward that you hoping can move into the midfield but even if he can't we don't really have that power mid sized forward type outside of Toby. Cadman + 2 medium/small forwards plus an outside mid seems like the ideal combo so if they view Jones as a winger I think it's alright but if they go Allan instead that works too.

GWS has looked at packaging two of its later first-round picks to move up the board, while pick No.15 (and No.19 as well) is on the trade table at the right price; they will look for a future first-rounder but have also had offers of a future second-round pick for 19.

Interesting nugget from the Phantom draft, we've heard plenty about us looking to move back from 19 but haven't really explored the option of maybe moving up the draft too much, maybe they're trying to target someone like Allan in a move up if they think he won't be there.

Daniels isn't a small forward. If he wasn't small it wouldn't even be a question. He's a nuggety in and under midfielder who has a nice turn of pace to cut up the middle but he's got the goal sense of a wet rag.

We shouldn’t be taking George. We are not in a position to take that kind of risk.
Feel like we're in as good position as any to take the risk on George with multiple top 20 picks, if he never really recovers from his knee and isn't the same then we still have multiple other shots to land an impact guy. If he was our only pick then I'd feel more nervous about taking him but we can let him come along as slow as he needs to.

Borrowed this from someone who's copied the mock draft from the HUN.

Something for everyone - Cadman, Hewett, Clarke & Lewis Hayes (if pick #19 isn't traded).

No Rowston bid under 30. No risk on Brayden George or Darcy Jones. Ultra tall KPD. The only risk is really Elijah Hewett, but he would be "best available" if he's available at our pick.

9ee18b8d-4421-45a6-9575-ca1b839148ae-jpeg-jpg.1561796

I guess we'll see in 1.5 days what the reality is!

Think we're in a comparable position to what Port was a few years ago when they first drafted Rozee and Butters, they still had established talent from their previous years of competing and then hit home runs on 2 top 20 picks in the same year and instantly became impact players for them and helped get them back into contention. Port got really lucky with both those guys being able to contribute straight away at a high level that's not very common at all but think we can follow a similar model even if he doesn't mean we're back into the 8 straight away but this can be turned around pretty quick if we have the right coach like Port did. Both Rozee and Butters became valuable i50 forward options for them out of the gate which is something we're looking for similarly with our picks.

With Pick 19 said to be on the table, Adelaide have reportedly joined the likes of Melbourne in weighing up a move for the selection, according to News Corp. The Crows are understood to be keen on holding their own first-round pick for 2023, however North Melbourne's future second-round selection, which Adelaide attained in a pick swap last month, could be part of a deal for Pick 19.

That's not keen at all. Zero value for GWS in doing that pick. At best, the same pick next year, but likely a worse pick.

With Pick 19 said to be on the table, Adelaide have reportedly joined the likes of Melbourne in weighing up a move for the selection, according to News Corp. The Crows are understood to be keen on holding their own first-round pick for 2023, however North Melbourne's future second-round selection, which Adelaide attained in a pick swap last month, could be part of a deal for Pick 19.

That's not keen at all. Zero value for GWS in doing that pick. At best, the same pick next year, but likely a worse pick.
Good to know there's another bidder for the pick, I'm sure that offer will look a lot better in a day or so

Bit of talk going around that the swans are trading 14+17 for Carlton's pick 10 (probably other stiff involved). If that did occur could potentially shake up who is their with our picks?

George reminds me of the talk around Brodie Kemp being worth the risk in his draft he was taken at 17 and he was rated higher than george is.

He has so far managed 6 games and looks nothing like the "potential star" he was talked about before the injury. I wish brayden the best but it's a big no from me.

Bit of talk going around that the swans are trading 14+17 for Carlton's pick 10 (probably other stiff involved). If that did occur could potentially shake up who is their with our picks?

George reminds me of the talk around Brodie Kemp being worth the risk in his draft he was taken at 17 and he was rated higher than george is.

He has so far managed 6 games and looks nothing like the "potential star" he was talked about before the injury. I wish brayden the best but it's a big no from me.

Kemp was largely based on some promising showings as an inside mid, but still had a lot of area for improvement. George has proven himself as an athletic undersized forward target with multiple 5+ goal hauls against quality opposition. To me he's more worth the risk, especially considering we've got so many high end picks this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back