List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think that shows we had very definite types in mind .... not the same old same old
The type seems to be super strong athlete and then back in the development team to get the most out of them. Jones is a ridiculous athlete, Cadman tested strongly, McMullin was top 10 for agility and vertical and 2nd for sprint speed, Rowston top 10 for agility, Gruzewski an incredible leaper. McMullin is an interesting one because I think the Sandy coach we just brought in probably had him as one of his favourties and might've had the inside word on his character and ability that maybe some others missed.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The type seems to be super strong athlete and then back in the development team to get the most out of them. Jones is a ridiculous athlete, Cadman tested strongly, McMullin was top 10 for agility and vertical and 2nd for sprint speed, Rowston top 10 for agility, Gruzewski an incredible leaper. McMullin is an interesting one because I think the Sandy coach we just brought in probably had him as one of his favourties and might've had the inside word on his character and ability that maybe some others missed.
Yeah the Sandy connection was not lost on me either .... hope it keeps Finn happy too

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah the Sandy connection was not lost on me either .... hope it keeps Finn happy too
Not that it entirely would've been Cripps decision considering he's a first time assistant coach I'm sure he has quite little influence over who gets picked it's interesting of all the Sandy boys they had avaliable to them he's the one they walked away with. One of the reporters was saying Clarke wasn't even in the final consideration for selection at 22.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Not that it entirely would've been Cripps decision considering he's a first time assistant coach I'm sure he has quite little influence over who gets picked it's interesting of all the Sandy boys they had avaliable to them he's the one they walked away with. One of the reporters was saying Clarke wasn't even in the final consideration for selection at 22.
All the guys picked seem to have a shed load of development left in them ... better than some kids who seem to peak at 18

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
All the guys picked seem to have a shed load of development left in them ... better than some kids who seem to peak at 18
Yeah getting those early in their development curve seemed like a priority for this years class, maybe they feel they can afford to swing for a bit more upside due to the sheer volume of picks this year and next.

Beatson very dismissive of speculation regarding their bidding.

From Caruso:

“I wasn’t thinking about my reaction at the time,” he said.

“You get the call and I suppose we were weighing up options at the time, it wasn’t just weighing up what Sydney were offering, there were other clubs coming in and saying ‘Would you consider these deals?’, so I was just reacting ... it was more just having a second to reflect.

“Obviously everyone’s grabbed that image and I love it, but ultimately it was more I was just weighing up ‘OK, what’s the plan here?’ When I put my head on the pillow last night I was happy we did the right thing.”

On the Swans’ bid itself, Caruso said: “It is what it is.”

“That’s the way they approached it, they wanted to try and get something out of us and for us our plan was always to match with the next pick.

“It’s not up to us to judge what they’ve done, they’ve obviously done it for a reason.”

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I've thought about it for a day and for the most I think what the Swans did is fine apart from the option 3 that they put to Caruso, do a pick swap including a future first and they wouldn't bid. To me this option is draft tampering. If they rate the player and wish to bid, fair enough. But to put that kind of ultimatum is not acceptable. AFL should look into that, it's grubby and shouldn't be allowed.

I've thought about it for a day and for the most I think what the Swans did is fine apart from the option 3 that they put to Caruso, do a pick swap including a future first and they wouldn't bid. To me this option is draft tampering. If they rate the player and wish to bid, fair enough. But to put that kind of ultimatum is not acceptable. AFL should look into that, it's grubby and shouldn't be allowed.
They would've still bid at the later pick is how I read it, it's just that the bid is then matched with our later picks instead of pick 15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive noticed after the draft and recent trading, we now have a team full of runners. The reverse of our previous reputation

Kelly and Whitfield from our older players are renowned runners, although his reputation doesn't match it Cogs has a big engine and gets up and back pretty well and tests well in the TT as well.

Existing kids Angwin, Ash, Hamilton and Callaghan are super runners and Fahey, Wehr pretty good as well.

Im sure Im leaving out some others as well.

We recruited more of the same last few days as well.

Perhaps it'll be a return to the Tsunami again

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Ive read that Gilbee and Madden are both coming on also
Do we get priority access to them like in the national draft or can another team snap them up?
Ive noticed after the draft and recent trading, we now have a team full of runners. The reverse of our previous reputation

Kelly and Whitfield from our older players are renowned runners, although his reputation doesn't match it Cogs has a big engine and gets up and back pretty well and tests well in the TT as well.

Existing kids Angwin, Ash, Hamilton and Callaghan are super runners and Fahey, Wehr pretty good as well.

Im sure Im leaving out some others as well.

We recruited more of the same last few days as well.

Perhaps it'll be a return to the Tsunami again
Caruso spoke about that either the end of night 1 or night 2 of the draft the fact about wanting to bring the Tsunami back and play that consistent running style back in 2016/17 it was pretty ridiculous how many elite runners we had with Scully, Williams, Kelly, Whitfield, Wilson all elite runners and really good distributors glad we're going back to that style. If we end up adding Gilbee he was tied for first in the 2km trial as well as McMullin and Jones both being top 5 for 20m sprint.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

“[He was] Around the top 12 for us this year. It’s disappointing that we didn’t get him because we did a lot of work on him and rated him really highly. He was there on our talent list and that’s why we made the choice to bid on him.”

Think the league may have rated Rowston a bit higher then the media had him with Collingwood rumoured to have interest as well in the top 20

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr

“[He was] Around the top 12 for us this year. It’s disappointing that we didn’t get him because we did a lot of work on him and rated him really highly. He was there on our talent list and that’s why we made the choice to bid on him.”

Think the league may have rated Rowston a bit higher then the media had him with Collingwood rumoured to have interest as well in the top 20
Hopefully he has a great career as do other draftees, we can sit back and thank the Swans for " helping " us this trade period.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Maybe a bit similar to Cumming in his draft year when he went from not even being mentioned to being talked about as a top 20 talent by some clubs in the week leading up to the draft.

Maybe a bit similar to Cumming in his draft year when he went from not even being mentioned to being talked about as a top 20 talent by some clubs in the week leading up to the draft.
I remember being shocked at that bid and a bit surprised we didn't pass on him...

I'm a bit more circumspect these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back