List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Sure, but then we're one actual defender short in that backline; and I'd say Idun is more important to our backline that what Buckley might offer.
Buckley played really well as KPD in 2021 before getting injured he's clearly shown he can do it a high level.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Overall it's hard to be unhappy with the players we brought in really, disappointing the Rowston bid came in at the stage it did but it's not like he wasn't within that range of players, really I think we ended up paying the higher end of his range but it happens, and generally when the Swans bid on one of our Academy kids they turn out alright. Forward line got a big shot in the arm during the off season which is what we needed, Bedford, McMullin and Jones all bring speed and defensive pressure, with Jones and McMullin really good users and smart decision makers as well which are 4 big ticks traits wise for us.

Cadman and Gruz as young targets is really promising as well, a bit of forward craft for Gruz to go but again Kingsley has been name dropped by Nick Riewoldt as the guy that taught him the most about being a forward so he's in good hands, and Cadman only really playing as a forward target for one full season means there's plenty of room for development there too.

Rowston as the only inside midfield pick up probably works for a list balance perspective, we only lost 3 and already had too many before that, and to the delight of many I'm sure he's more Hopper than he is Taranto with his ball use.

Madden and Gillbee for free so nothing to complain about there, at worst we've got some solid depth in areas of need and at best we've got superstars!

I really only see Cadman and Rowston playing in the AFL next season though, so not expecting this to immediately fill any holes in our best 22 but it's a nice start to what is hopefully a short rebuild. I really like that for once it doesn't feel like we're overloaded in one particular position, with 2 first rounders in what looks like a strong draft we're not going to be limited because "we're too stocked with that type"

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Overall it's hard to be unhappy with the players we brought in really, disappointing the Rowston bid came in at the stage it did but it's not like he wasn't within that range of players, really I think we ended up paying the higher end of his range but it happens, and generally when the Swans bid on one of our Academy kids they turn out alright. Forward line got a big shot in the arm during the off season which is what we needed, Bedford, McMullin and Jones all bring speed and defensive pressure, with Jones and McMullin really good users and smart decision makers as well which are 4 big ticks traits wise for us.

Cadman and Gruz as young targets is really promising as well, a bit of forward craft for Gruz to go but again Kingsley has been name dropped by Nick Riewoldt as the guy that taught him the most about being a forward so he's in good hands, and Cadman only really playing as a forward target for one full season means there's plenty of room for development there too.

Rowston as the only inside midfield pick up probably works for a list balance perspective, we only lost 3 and already had too many before that, and to the delight of many I'm sure he's more Hopper than he is Taranto with his ball use.

Madden and Gillbee for free so nothing to complain about there, at worst we've got some solid depth in areas of need and at best we've got superstars!

I really only see Cadman and Rowston playing in the AFL next season though, so not expecting this to immediately fill any holes in our best 22 but it's a nice start to what is hopefully a short rebuild. I really like that for once it doesn't feel like we're overloaded in one particular position, with 2 first rounders in what looks like a strong draft we're not going to be limited because "we're too stocked with that type"
Any thoughts on how the 2 firsts might get used next year? Idk how across next years draft we are but if we have like pick 7/8 and maybe 15, any guys in that range you like this far out?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Any thoughts on how the 2 firsts might get used next year? Idk how across next years draft we are but if we have like pick 7/8 and maybe 15, any guys in that range you like this far out?
I like them all!

However if we're doing wish lists, a Gippsland Power double of Zane Duursma and Archer Reid would do me very well

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Zane a goal kicking medium forward type and Reid more a KPF right?
Yep, but Zane will essentially play only midfield next year I imagine as he adds size to his frame

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

I feel this article tells us what we knew in that Hopper was keen to get to Melbourne and GWS needed his money off the cap and probably a re-shape of the list.

I think in the end the outcome was pretty fair. He’s a nice player and should go well but we will replace him. Young Callaghan has way more potential.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I feel this article tells us what we knew in that Hopper was keen to get to Melbourne and GWS needed his money off the cap and probably a re-shape of the list.

I think in the end the outcome was pretty fair. He’s a nice player and should go well but we will replace him. Young Callaghan has way more potential.
Yeah Hopper is really good as an inside mid his weakenss is just his lack of flexibility, he can't play outside and he can't play forward and the way our team is set up it doesn't allow us to best maximise the other pieces. He's a good fit for Richmond where he's not going to be asked to do much but play as a pretty much full inside mid and they have the pieces around him to make that work. 7 year contract at 750ish is something we just can't compete with so good for them for getting their money but we can't get near that.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah Hopper is really good as an inside mid his weakenss is just his lack of flexibility, he can't play outside and he can't play forward and the way our team is set up it doesn't allow us to best maximise the other pieces. He's a good fit for Richmond where he's not going to be asked to do much but play as a pretty much full inside mid and they have the pieces around him to make that work. 7 year contract at 750ish is something we just can't compete with so good for them for getting their money but we can't get near that.
Yeah ... no way we should be ever considering 7 x 750k for a player that limited .... love the guy but it’s just too much

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Possibly slightly underselling him there. 42 goals in 114 games. Quite often bobbed up with a goal when the team really need one.
Marginally better goal average than Daniels who spends majority of time forward.
Taranto kicked only 6 more in the same number of games while playing considerably more time forward.

I guess none of that matters now they’re both gone. Will be disappointing to see either of them kicking goals against us in the years to come.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Possibly slightly underselling him there. 42 goals in 114 games. Quite often bobbed up with a goal when the team really need one.
Marginally better goal average than Daniels who spends majority of time forward.
Taranto kicked only 6 more in the same number of games while playing considerably more time forward.

I guess none of that matters now they’re both gone. Will be disappointing to see either of them kicking goals against us in the years to come.
I’m happy we’ve retained Perryman as opposed to Hopper. Feel he can perform the role better.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I’m happy we’ve retained Perryman as opposed to Hopper. Feel he can perform the role better.
Intersted to see where we see Perryman this year he's shown he can be really effective outside, inside or off half back. From memory Richmond were coming pretty hard for Perryman a few years ago and were planning to use him as a midfielder (could have that wrong) so maybe that coaching staff (which Kingsley was apart of) had previously envisioned that role for him in the past and now that he's shown he can do it, he might be in line for it? Or not and they'll just play him at half back/wing and he'll be really good there too.

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Intersted to see where we see Perryman this year he's shown he can be really effective outside, inside or off half back. From memory Richmond were coming pretty hard for Perryman a few years ago and were planning to use him as a midfielder (could have that wrong) so maybe that coaching staff (which Kingsley was apart of) had previously envisioned that role for him in the past and now that he's shown he can do it, he might be in line for it? Or not and they'll just play him at half back/wing and he'll be really good there too.
He’ll be on ball for sure.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
He’ll be on ball for sure.
Agree.
Will be interesting how they setup for centre bounces. Green and Perryman in there together will be a speed risk for teams to exploit. (think Swans sending Florent in against our plodders this year) Ash, Kelly, Daniels might take the bounces when Green is there with Cogs.
Green and Perryman will be fine on ball together once it gets congested.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
And he won’t sign till the end imo (if he does). He needs games to up the price of his contract extension

No way his management allows him to sign on without more games
Unless he does a Luke Jackson and just signs for 1 more year. I guess if Melbourne clubs are offering 4 to 5 year deals he wouldn't sign with us for just one year.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Every year they release a video post draft and it's made same way, get every player they wanted. It clearly doesn't happen. The part with Caruso discussing potential bids on Rowston is shot afterwards. The best part is Cadman, love this kid already.
I’m glad you posted this because I felt the same.

One of two things happens, Caruso does 3 or 4 run throughs of different scenarios before the draft and they use the one that is most palatable.

Or Caruso and team edit after the event. I’m not sure what the benefit is, the AFL world knew we wanted Konstanty and whilst we liked Jones and Rowston the bid messed up our plans to trade in a future 1st.

Anyway it’s all done now, we have our guys let’s support them and hope they turn out good players.

Back