MVP 2022 GWS MVP - Round 21 v Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, that was much better than last week in both effort and execution. Who deserves recognition for what they did today? Hogan & Greene up front, Taylor & Himmelberg down back, and what about the midfielders: Whitfield, Cogs, Pez and Ward? Use your 15 votes wisely, maximum 5 to any one players.

Guess I'll go first, then, shall I?

4 - Lachie Whitfield: perhaps his best game for the year, back near his running, counter-attacking best
4 - Jesse Hogan: getting both his sticky hands and goalkicking right, 4 goals, a bunch of marks and plenty of running
3 - Harry Perryman: stopped Bombers' key mid in Zach Merrett while getting a bunch of contested possessions and kicking a goal himself
2 - Sam Taylor: pressured 2MP all day and kept him to 2 goals, otherwise did what Sam Taylor does, all day long
1 - Harry Himmelberg: continued his good form down back, getting a lot of possessions and kick-starting a lot of counter-attack
1 - Callan Ward: whilst playing a more outside game, got plenty of stoppage clearances, kicked a goal, and seemed to be everywhere

Generally, a solid team performance, rather than standout individual performances. Could have given 1 or 2 points to a number of players, but the top 3 were pretty clear to me.

Adding to the comments already posted:

4 - Whitfield - particularly his anticipation
4 - Hogan - his work around the midfield and marking
3 - Perryman - lockdown role and a goal to boot
3 - Taylor - has to be in AA contention. Our percentage would be so much worse without him playing.
1 - Aleer - have to give him a point for the defensive work (especially intercept punches) and effort he put in. Massive improvement from his first game.

Votes tallied and points awarded.

Hogan and Whitfield couldn't separated at the top - Whitfield's best game for the season by a mile, and Hogan's third board-voted MVG: only Cogs and Taylor have had more. Taylor continues to storm home.

GWS 2022 MVP Rd21.PNG

Cogs has this year's award in the bag - Tom Green who was outstanding in the first half of the year just dropped off a cliff in the second half (which I put down to youth, and opposition putting more effort into quelling his influence - he'll work through that) and I don't think can catch him. On the other hand, Sam Taylor with an excellent second half of the year has stormed past Kelly into third place, and can take second place off Tom - as could Kelly in the last two games. 5th and 6th is a raffle, with HH and Hogan pressing hard on Cumming, and Greene a few points ahead is becalmed with his season-ending injury.

GWS 2022 MVP Prog Rd21.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back