2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it's all done and dusted with alot of talk about how we got under in some deals and payed overs in others I had a look at what we had before all of our trades and what we ended up with...

Trade, Draft and FA Period:
Before --- After
Null --- 14(18)
24 --- 36
Gunston --- Amon
Mitchell --- Stephens
O'Meara --- Meek
F2nd(Haw) --- F2nd(Dogs)
F3rd(Haw) --- F3rd(Dogs)

Hmmm.... Pick 14 for a couple of pick slides in the 2nd round and swapping Mitchell and O'Meara for Stephens and Meek.
And if we perform better than Dogs (I am optimistic)next season we have done really well.

No change.

Mackenzie and Weddle 7+8

And from the sounds of MMs draft recap, potentially HH at 27 still.
Highly doubt we would have taken Weddle at 8. We would have had other prospects rated higher on our board. More likely 8 would have been Ginbey or Clark or maybe even Poo.

No change.

Mackenzie and Weddle 7+8

And from the sounds of MMs draft recap, potentially HH at 27 still.
I would bet my house that they’d not have drafted Weddle at 8 if we’d had it.

We didn’t have him that high in our rankings, but we had him high enough to want to trade in and grab him at 18.

Should we assume we will target one or two tall KPP in next years draft?

We haven't taken any in the last 2 and next year seems likely to have quite a few of quality at the top end +hopefully McCabe comes on.

Should we assume we will target one or two tall KPP in next years draft?

We haven't taken any in the last 2 and next year seems likely to have quite a few of quality at the top end +hopefully McCabe comes on.
Caddy, Reid, and Curtin will be the talls to watch next year. All three could be a worth a top 5 pick. McCabe looks more comfortable as a forward than a back in my opinion as well.

Don’t know how it works but didn’t Newk put some conditions during the PSD around payment terms to scare off other clubs? Some numbers being floated around at the time was $300k for 3 years?

If this is the case we need to stop being tight arses. We need to alter/align his pay to what he his worth making sure we keep him happy!

Don’t know how it works but didn’t Newk put some conditions during the PSD around payment terms to scare off other clubs? Some numbers being floated around at the time was $300k for 3 years?

If this is the case we need to stop being tight arses. We need to alter/align his pay to what he his worth making sure we keep him happy!
Can square him up next contract.

The whole point is to get more value out of players than what you actually pay them. Not screw them over, but don't go back & over-pay them mid-contract just because they turn out to be jets.

Otherwise, 2013-2015 never happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the rule is if a rookie is paid more than the minimum, whatever extra is included in the cap. It's why Langford was put on the rookie list years ago, we saved 100k from our cap but the rest is included. It's why teams drop contracted players to the rookie list.

Just watched McKenzie's wrap - I note that he said a few clubs were trying to get back into the first round. I wonder if that's why we gave a bit away to get pick 18 because there were other bidders out there.

Just watched McKenzie's wrap - I note that he said a few clubs were trying to get back into the first round. I wonder if that's why we gave a bit away to get pick 18 because there were other bidders out there.
For sure, it was a seller's market.

Compare that to the Bailey MacDonald trade, we traded a future pick in the 70s I think he said for 51. Flipped the other way.

Beatson on said there were 20 offers, and ours was the one they took.

Those who said we gave too much for pick 18 should take note of this. We offered what was required in a competitive market for the ability to move into the first round.
and I won't get tired of insisting we offered just right, IMO maybe even unders. If we compare apples to apples, then we have to compare pre-draft position and worst case and best case and expected case for next yr's draft position.

Worst case, we are spoon
-> then it is pick 14 for 19,24,37

Crazy best case, we are flag( indulge me)
-> then it is pick 14 for 36,24,54

Best case, we just make finals at 8th and get dumped.
-> then it is pick 14 for 29,24,47

Expected, we finish same spot at 14th
-> then it is pick 14 for 29,24,47

Maybe we slide, we finish at 16/17th
-> then it is pick 14 for 20/21,24,38/39

Even in the worst case, I think that is a good trade. Sydney were trying to extort 15 & 19 from GWS for their pick 14 before making bid. If it was 18 & 19, GWS may have even taken it.

PS : If you are going to use pick 18( and not 14) then you have factor in best and worst case scenarios of the number Academy & FS bids for next yr prior to round 2 start. Most likely at the moment is atleast 4-5 of them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back