2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are expecting to pay more to hold players in the future, as the the Cap grows, but so will every club. So the market will not change.
So unless we're offering success, then don't bother chasing a FA? How did Amon sign up with us then?

What do we think JOM should have been worth?

29 years old at the start of next year, averaged just on 20 disposals a game in 2022.

We got screwed on what we paid for him, not on what we got for him.

We got screwed. Deals looked average before the salary part.
Yup. Sam and Mark need to go. Completely stuffed up.

Should have kept both Tom and Jaeger. Not brought in Meek or Stephens. And not got that Weddle kid.

Am I doing it right?

We got screwed. Deals looked average before the salary part.
The salary part improved the deal. We needed to unload some cash. You have a minimum spend and the risk with a young list is you overpay to reach the minimum and create problems down the track by distorting the pay structure. There is only so much front-loading you can do.

I understand it is a bit more. We have to make a bolder push for FA over the next two cycles. We know it. We know we need to be more attractive to FA’s.
“Money alone works to a certain extent, paying over the odds ….yes, but offering up future success remains a big magnet”.

We are expecting to pay more to hold players in the future, as the the Cap grows, but so will every club. So the market will not change.

Hopefully Jade Gresham is on the list of FA the club is targeting.

Not sure quite what you mean here but if you mean we got a good deal, I am inclined to agree. A long-term ruck plus a second rounder in a strong draft for a player who is not part of our future and some cash we don't have any use for seems like good value to me. Depends of course on how Meek and the F2 turn out.
It’s a largely untested ruckmen and a pick in the 30’s for Omeara and a bunch of cap.

The Giants were offering a better deal, should absolutely told Fred to
Stump up the cash for him if they want him.

It’s a largely untested ruckmen and a pick in the 30’s for Omeara and a bunch of cap.

The Giants were offering a better deal, should absolutely told Fred to
Stump up the cash for him if they want him.
I love JOM but the market was well tested last year and this. What was the Giants better deal? Unless it was substantially better, I am very comfortable accommodating the preferences of a great servant of our club who missed out on what he hoped would be an opportunity to contribute to a Hawthorn premiership.

I love JOM but the market was well tested last year and this. What was the Giants better deal? Unless it was substantially better, I am very comfortable accommodating the preferences of a great servant of our club who missed out on what he hoped would be an opportunity to contribute to a Hawthorn premiership.
I like looking after our players, I have also loved Jaeger since before coming to our club. But at some point a degree of selfishness needs to be involved in our decision making. A big difference between the Lewis, Sam Mitchell deals and the Jaeger one. The other two were club legends, Jaeger never quite reached those heights.

If Freo wanted to come in last minute I think it’s fair to expect them to pay his wage. We would have fair ground to stand if they are saying look we want him, but we can’t afford him and we also don’t want to give up too much for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like looking after our players, I have also loved Jaeger since before coming to our club. But at some point a degree of selfishness needs to be involved in our decision making. A big difference between the Lewis, Sam Mitchell deals and the Jaeger one. The other two were club legends, Jaeger never quite reached those heights.

If Freo wanted to come in last minute I think it’s fair to expect them to pay his wage. We would have fair ground to stand if they are saying look we want him, but we can’t afford him and we also don’t want to give up too much for him.
We were selfish. We offloaded him. He really didn't want to go and we pushed him out the door.

The focus for our recruiting team is how do we get an extra first rounder again for 2023 and then anything we can do from a free agency perspective. Doubt if anyone outside of suns (academy picks) or dees (2xf1 and 2xf2) would be open to it. likely would need to involve our 2024 f1 which I might consider if we think we would bounce up the ladder. Anyway long time for all of that.
As far as I know not much in the free agent pool I saw Gresham parish himmelberg and hipwood as only potentials. All restricted so would have to be a significant offer to avoid matching. Otherwise get on the salary dump train before it’s too late - toot toot!

That's business and if he wanted to stay he could've, Wingard and Breust both said no.
I agree... I don't buy O'Meara's woe is me after the trade went down.
A) he could've rejected the move.
B) he got offered a fresh new four year deal (one that we weren't offering).

If he rejects the trade and stays he is a 30yo with bad knees and he is one big injury next year away from tanking his next contract value.

He saw the security of 4 x 500odd and took it. Mutually beneficial trade and a terrible outcome for both parties if he stayed for the last year of his deal.

If he rejects the trade and stays he is a 30yo with bad knees and he is one big injury next year away from tanking his next contract value.

He saw the security of 4 x 500odd and took it. Mutually beneficial trade and a terrible outcome for both parties if he stayed for the last year of his deal.
Must have been a bad feeling for both of those boys knowing they were out of sync with the youth policy.

I think Sam was very direct with him and it caught him off guard. Agree with everything else.

What do we think JOM should have been worth?

29 years old at the start of next year, averaged just on 20 disposals a game in 2022.

We got screwed on what we paid for him, not on what we got for him.

It was doing the right thing having approached JOM but the Corcoran became a chunt before bending over twice for geelong

Given the AFL moved mountains to stop cogs coming to us it seems an invisible hand was also at play

Still 7 years no flag is only half our last ‘drought’

Last edited:
The focus for our recruiting team is how do we get an extra first rounder again for 2023 and then anything we can do from a free agency perspective. Doubt if anyone outside of suns (academy picks) or dees (2xf1 and 2xf2) would be open to it. likely would need to involve our 2024 f1 which I might consider if we think we would bounce up the ladder. Anyway long time for all of that.
As far as I know not much in the free agent pool I saw Gresham parish himmelberg and hipwood as only potentials. All restricted so would have to be a significant offer to avoid matching. Otherwise get on the salary dump train before it’s too late - toot toot!

Either of these could be a good partner for Lewis if Kosi doesnt come on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back