Injury 2022 Injury Report; break em, fix em, play em.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 picks in MSD now I guess if we want to
Only 1 of the long term (Kreuger) is on the senior list, so dont think you can open up another for Wilson given he is a cat b and can't be replaced by just anyone? and we have no rookie A spots available

Same story as with Keane. Wilson is a Cat. B Rookie and we shouldn't be able to replace him on the list (mid-season draft). The AFL bent the rules for this year due to Covid to let rookies have a 4th year, but this should count as Wilson's 4th year (2019-2022), so I'd say we'd either have to elevate or delist him. It could have been touch and go as to whether or not they put him on the Primary List at the end of the year (they might delist him then pick him up as a Cat. A Rookie), so what happens now will be interesting to see! Perhaps they'll do that rather than delist him, as it wouldn't look nice when he's picked up an injury issue like this when playing for the club (presumably that's when it happened). Ironically, it just might be that this issue keeps him on the list for another year!

Last edited:

Same story as with Keane. Wilson is a Cat. B Rookie and we shouldn't be able to replace him on the list (mid-season draft). The AFL bent the rules for this year due to Covid to let rookies have a 4th year, but this should count as Wilson's 4th year (2019-2022), so I'd say we'd either have to elevate or delist him. It could have been touch and go as to whether or not they put him on the Primary List at the end of the year, so what happens now will be interesting to see! Perhaps they'll do that rather than delist him, as it wouldn't look nice when he's picked up an injury issue like this when playing for the club (presumably that's when it happened). Ironically, it just might be that this issue keeps him on the list for another year!
It was announced it May 2019 we signed him but that would have been past the list deadlines; so does that mean he officially wasn't on the list until the end of 2019? and thus 2020 was his first year?

It was announced it May 2019 we signed him but that would have been past the list deadlines; so does that mean he officially wasn't on the list until the end of 2019? and thus 2020 was his first year?
I do remember seeing that he was eligible to play senior football once we'd signed him, though he only played at VFL level in 2019: Pies beat Cats in race for basketball star and ex-gun junior Wilson
1652095955410.png
I think I can recall Derek Hine saying the same thing at the time. I'm pretty sure this will count as year four for him as a rookie, though even if it doesn't I doubt the AFL will be so generous and allow rookies a 4th year (on the rookie list) next year! Wilson's best hope just might be being delisted and then picked up in the rookie draft, and the club is likely to have sympathy towards him due to his injury situation. They just may not feel he is worthy of a spot on the main list with what he's shown so far, so what happens with him at the end of the season will be worth watching.

Quaynor dislocated his finger during the fourth quarter against Richmond, but scans have cleared the 22-year-old of any damage.

Jordan Roughead's finger injury has taken a little longer than expected and will undergo a few tests before joining full contact training.

Forward Jamie Elliott has started early stage contact work and has returned to full strength which means he can begin contact work.

Will Kelly has started running after a hip complaint in the VFL, while new draftee Charlie Dean had some positive news to return to running. Dean has pulled up pain free from all running sessions.

Ruckman Brodie Grundy is three weeks into wearing a knee brace, a more detailed update to be provided once he is out of the brace in a weeks time.

Nathan Kreuger has returned to the club after having shoulder surgery, he will now begin a conditioning program before completing any upper body work.

Tom Wilson underwent back surgery to repair a disc buldge sustained in a VFL match two weeks ago. A timeline to return to play is approximately three to four months.

Starts by announcing that IQ ”dislocated his finger” but very quickly played it down and said IQ would be available, with strapping at worst …

… then moves onto Roughead’s finger injury that he’s been out 3 weeks already for, needs “gym work on the finger” and still is on non-contact with the ”timeline no clearer on Roughy”

Geeezzz, seems to be a huge difference between IQ’s finger injury and Roughy’s finger injury!!

Starts by announcing that IQ ”dislocated his finger” but very quickly played it down and said IQ would be available, with strapping at worst …

… then moves onto Roughead’s finger injury that he’s been out 3 weeks already for, needs “gym work on the finger” and still is on non-contact with the ”timeline no clearer on Roughy”

Geeezzz, seems to be a huge difference between IQ’s finger injury and Roughy’s finger injury!!
Roughy's finger is about 10 years older

Roughy had a fractured finger that required surgery. Probably a little bit different to IQ whose was minor and there was no structual damage.

Roughy had a fractured finger that required surgery. Probably a little bit different to IQ whose was minor and there was no structual damage.
I'm betting that any poster here that's played footy for an extended period has dislocated a finger and played the following game. Once the finger is located back correctly you can strap it and play with a bit of pain.

Are cat B's allowed a 4th year for 2023 I wonder without being promoted like they were in 2022..
Logically they should get a 4th, as the same logic of having missed a year still holds.

But I think at the end of this year, it will already be 3 and a half, as we added him in the middle of 2019.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should get rid of this Cat A/B qualification and just make them in one cateory with the same rules.
It'd give no incentive for clubs to recruit the blokes who are now recruited as Cat B. For some reason the AFL are keen on clubs poaching kids from other sports or countries and encourage it - not really sure why.

What I don't understand is why they still have a Category A rookie /Senior list distinction and salary cap benefits for Cat A recruits.

It'd give no incentive for clubs to recruit the blokes who are now recruited as Cat B. For some reason the AFL are keen on clubs poaching kids from other sports or countries and encourage it - not really sure why.

What I don't understand is why they still have a Category A rookie /Senior list distinction and salary cap benefits for Cat A recruits.
Also think the AFL should raise the number of cat b spots if they want to see the fruits of it.

Wilson is Cat B, so his injury can't open up another pick.
Hopefully we have options identified in case we want to exercise them for any potential vacancies. Looking like only Kreuger at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm trying to process Gym work on the finger.

I'm trying to process Gym work on the finger.

Haha.

It wouldn't be "gym work" per se but definitely would be warming his hand up every hour with a heat pack, doing a series of motion exercises and occasionally practising gripping and turning an object (starting with say a can size, getting down to a deorderant can and smaller).

I'd say any set backs are pain when doing the above or limited movement which means he will need to keep working on it.

At least that's my experience from last year. I reckon they should just call every broken finger a 10-weeker and anything faster is a just a bonus.

Forward Jamie Elliott is a chance to return to face the Dockers. The 29-year-old needs to tick off contact training this week to put his hand up for selection on Sunday.

In positive news, Nathan Murphy made a strong return in the VFL over the weekend and will put his hand up for senior selection.

Defender Jack Madgen has avoided needing shoulder surgery after an incident against the Bulldogs. He will face four to six weeks on the sidelines.

Forward Jamie Elliott is a chance to return to face the Dockers. The 29-year-old needs to tick off contact training this week to put his hand up for selection on Sunday.

In positive news, Nathan Murphy made a strong return in the VFL over the weekend and will put his hand up for senior selection.

Defender Jack Madgen has avoided needing shoulder surgery after an incident against the Bulldogs. He will face four to six weeks on the sidelines.

No mention of Harrison or Draper. Just rested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back