Injury 2022 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Me naming Narkle was not in anyway a recomendation for him to play or replace Parfitt. His form this year has seen him play like something from a zombie movie. I dont get it apart from him already knowing he is gone at years end and there is little to no interest at other clubs.

If we want to maintain the pressure that Parfit brings there are few options. Perhaps MOC? Menegola will come back in and so will Danger.. I dont see either as def first players.
under all circumstances it is good for Stephens in terms of getting a few more games. Against non top 8 clubs.

would it be time to put Close more in the middle? I know a very different player but in a different way has a pressure/defensive mindset?

under all circumstances it is good for Stephens in terms of getting a few more games. Against non top 8 clubs.

would it be time to put Close more in the middle? I know a very different player but in a different way has a pressure/defensive mindset?

Its a shame one of the kids drafted last year has not been playing and putting their hand up. Be nice if we could give Chalcraft a go..but thats not the system. I think we will go back to the matures.

Parfitt is disgustingly underrated around here. His first quarter on the weekend was absolutely huge. Big plays from him:

1. The first centre bounce he's in was the one where he broke forward when Guthrie was going to win it, received the handball and sent Stephens away to hit up Rohan. Elite centre bounce play.

2. The next centre bounce when the dogs look away he pressures to break it up then wins the ball and gets it out to Smith. Then he lays a great shepherd to give Smith time and space.

3. After the kickout from Duncan's touched behind he goes back with courage into English to make him spill the mark causing a turnover.

4. After the boundary throw in with 13.20 left MacRae gets it in space. Parfitt gets to him, pushes him off the kick and is back in the contest on the ground to let Close and Selwood come in and take it away. A brilliant defensive play. Unfortunately Selwood put it out on the full.

5. Receives a handball in the centre from Atkins and goes quick with a nice kick to Rohan's advantage forcing a great spoil from the dogs. Cameron follows up the crumbs and soccers a goal.

6. Receives a handball in the pocket from Cameron. Sidesteps to give himself time and puts a beautiful pass back to Cameron to mark. Handball to Close. Goal.

7. Watch the play from 4.08 to go. When Dale kicks it into the middle Parfitt is in our attacking 50. He actually accelerated to pressure the potential kick into our attacking goalsquare. Watch how hard he works back into defence. If Duncan's spoil stayed in play Parfitt was arriving front and square at the top of the defensive goalsquare. No possession but huge defensive workrate.

8. Takes a mark and has the vision to see Duncan in the middle. Goal.

9. With 25s left wins the front and centre off the pack and releases Selwood who can't hit Hawkins on the lead for what would've been an easy set shot.

By my count he's been instrumental in 2 centre bounce wins, one of which led to a goal. He was the last kick to set up 3 more goals. He won the crumb off a pack that probably should've led to another goal but for a poor Selwood pass. He caused 2 front half turnovers through quality and gutsy defensive play and his workrate off the ball was through the roof.

He gets injured trying to tackle McComb in another great defensive chase with 15 mins to go in the 2nd quarter. He's already taken a great contested mark earlier on.

It's genuinely one of the best starts to a game you will see and people are talking about him not being a big loss or that he's been ordinary. He then battles through the rest of the game with a broken hand because we're already down a man. What does the guy need to do for some respect and admiration around here?

Parfitt is disgustingly underrated around here. His first quarter on the weekend was absolutely huge. Big plays from him:

1. The first centre bounce he's in was the one where he broke forward when Guthrie was going to win it, received the handball and sent Stephens away to hit up Rohan. Elite centre bounce play.

2. The next centre bounce when the dogs look away he pressures to break it up then wins the ball and gets it out to Smith. Then he lays a great shepherd to give Smith time and space.

3. After the kickout from Duncan's touched behind he goes back with courage into English to make him spill the mark causing a turnover.

4. After the boundary throw in with 13.20 left MacRae gets it in space. Parfitt gets to him, pushes him off the kick and is back in the contest on the ground to let Close and Selwood come in and take it away. A brilliant defensive play. Unfortunately Selwood put it out on the full.

5. Receives a handball in the centre from Atkins and goes quick with a nice kick to Rohan's advantage forcing a great spoil from the dogs. Cameron follows up the crumbs and soccers a goal.

6. Receives a handball in the pocket from Cameron. Sidesteps to give himself time and puts a beautiful pass back to Cameron to mark. Handball to Close. Goal.

7. Watch the play from 4.08 to go. When Dale kicks it into the middle Parfitt is in our attacking 50. He actually accelerated to pressure the potential kick into our attacking goalsquare. Watch how hard he works back into defence. If Duncan's spoil stayed in play Parfitt was arriving front and square at the top of the defensive goalsquare. No possession but huge defensive workrate.

9. With 25s left wins the front and centre off the pack and releases Selwood who can't hit Hawkins on the lead for what would've been an easy set shot.

By my count he's been instrumental in 2 centre bounce wins, one of which led to a goal. He was the last kick to set up 3 more goals. He won the crumb off a pack that probably should've led to another goal but for a poor Selwood pass. He caused 2 front half turnovers through quality and gutsy defensive play and his workrate off the ball was through the roof.

He gets injured trying to tackle McComb in another great defensive chase with 15 mins to go in the 2nd quarter. He's already taken a great contested mark earlier on.

It's genuinely one of the best starts to a game you will see and people are talking about him not being a big loss or that he's been ordinary. He then battles through the rest of the game with a broken hand because we're already down a man. What does the guy need to do for some respect and admiration around here?
As i said earlier in the thread he is by far our best defensive midfielder and on top of that is a very good clearance player and even if he doesn't get the clearance he allows others to get it. His absence is a big reason why we got smashed in finals in the midfield last year(would of lost either way).

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the first or second picked mid every week.

Willis has not been mentioned in either of the last 2 Injury Updates and I've seen nothing to indicate when he will resume playing. Its frustrating as he looked ready to play AFL body-wise.

Meanwhile I assume Atkins and O'Connor will play some mid-field over the next month. Stephens will stay in and we might see Dempsey/Knevitt.

It further emphasises our desperate need for more mids.
I reckon Willis being taken off the list means he's in full training now. Just needs to build a bit of fitness and come into the vfl post-bye

I reckon Willis being taken off the list means he's in full training now. Just needs to build a bit of fitness and come into the vfl post-bye
Willis hasn't been on the injury list for a while.

Me naming Narkle was not in anyway a recomendation for him to play or replace Parfitt. His form this year has seen him play like something from a zombie movie. I dont get it apart from him already knowing he is gone at years end and there is little to no interest at other clubs.

If we want to maintain the pressure that Parfit brings there are few options. Perhaps MOC? Menegola will come back in and so will Danger.. I dont see either as def first players.
Fair enough, but you did ask, "who do we select in his place, Narkle..."

Fair enough, but you did ask, "who do we select in his place, Narkle..."
Perhaps I should have put Narkle:oops:. or something.

There is no inflection in the written word. Parfit being an inside def type... replace him with Narkle who is playing so far outside he is in the stands. Narkle?o_O

The only thing he has going for him is our dire lack of mids in that 24-28 range...why else is he being picked.

Fantastic analysis.

And stop making sense, by the way. This kind of reasoned and empirical analysis will be the death of Big Footy.

Last edited:
Parfitt would be better appreciated if what he contributes was complemented by what others can do. He is undoubtedly our best defensive mid - hard at it, team-oriented, a reasonable accumulator and a good extractor.

In other words, he would look better and be better recognised if we had the players to complement and benefit from his strengths and make up to some degree for his deficits - players with breakaway speed, excellent kicking skills and the ability to hit the scoreboard a bit more than he does.

We sorely lack such players; rather we are served by a bunch who are ageing, slowing and not renowned for superior disposal, except for Duncan's kicking prowess.

Id say disgustingly overrated on this forum - like most Geel players - oh Fogarty is going to be a star - fair bloody dinkum

He is slow and he cant kick - you think of Geel midfielders of the past - Neville Bruns - 55-60 metre drop punts effortlessly - Denis Marshall lovely long drop punts - Wayne Closter well he could do it left and right foot - a beautiful kick either foot

And then you have got Parfitt who is lucky to kick 40 metres - and all this defensive bulldust - that was shoved down peoples throats about half forward flankers last year - oh they have got to be defensive - what nonsense - this year we have finally got an attacking/dangerous hff in Stengle who kicks his 2-3 goals regularly - that wins games

Come on then your such a fan of Parfitt - Geelongs premiership midfielders were Kelly Corey Bartel Ablett Ling and Selwood - now is Parfitt equal to or better than any of those premiership midfielders

A shuffler - who can kick a football 40 metres max - yet hes raved over by some on this forum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id say disgustingly overrated on this forum - like most Geel players - oh Fogarty is going to be a star - fair bloody dinkum

He is slow and he cant kick - you think of Geel midfielders of the past - Neville Bruns - 55-60 metre drop punts effortlessly - Denis Marshall lovely long drop punts - Wayne Closter well he could do it left and right foot - a beautiful kick either foot

And then you have got Parfitt who is lucky to kick 40 metres - and all this defensive bulldust - that was shoved down peoples throats about half forward flankers last year - oh they have got to be defensive - what nonsense - this year we have finally got an attacking/dangerous hff in Stengle who kicks his 2-3 goals regularly - that wins games

Come on then your such a fan of Parfitt - Geelongs premiership midfielders were Kelly Corey Bartel Ablett Ling and Selwood - now is Parfitt equal to or better than any of those premiership midfielders

A shuffler - who can kick a football 40 metres max - yet hes raved over by some on this forum
Interested to see the evidence of where anyone here said Fogarty was going to be a star. Or that Parf was the equal or better of:

Kelly (AA)
Corey (2 Carjis and twice AA)
Bartel (Brownlow, Norm and twice AA)
Ablett (don't get me started)
Ling (Carji and AA)
and Selwood (again, how long have you got?)

But if I'm ever in need of an imposing scarecrow, I'll certainly know where to start my search. After all, epic strawmen are clearly readily available right here.

Last edited:
Don't forget Chapman - always underrated and as good as any of the others bar perhaps Ablett in his pomp. Chappy kicked goals in finals, got a Norm Smith, was tough, a wonderful kick and could get 30 + disposals playing mid-filed.

Those were the days.

Totally agree! That first quarter alone was incredible. The fact he played out the game with a broken hand only makes the performance more admirable. He set us up in that 1st qtr beating one of the better midfields in the comp, the reason I still gave him 3 votes by the end of it.

100% with you on this....got 4 votes from me, behind Jezza.

As you point out, Parfitt's first quarter was huge...instrumental in getting us going first up.

He was also excellent in the last quarter as well. Does so much work on the inside that he gets overlooked.

Broken hand now so out for a month. He will be missed.

100% spot-on. I still believe we missed him in finals more than any other player.
Not only is he underrated, he is also maligned. I just can't get it.

100% spot-on. I still believe we missed him in finals more than any other player.
Not only is he underrated, he is also maligned. I just can't get it.
I can see both sides of it. To me he’s unquestionably an important player and we will miss him. But he’s also flawed, particularly his kicking, so I get some of the criticism too.

I can see both sides of it. To me he’s unquestionably an important player and we will miss him. But he’s also flawed, particularly his kicking, so I get some of the criticism too.
He showed good skills early on in his career, but they never developed after the club decided to turn him into a poor man's James Kelly.

He's a frustrating player in that sense - he brings a defensive aspect that we don't always see from his midfield teammates, but it'll be good if he had a bit more polish when it comes to his attacking game

In his absence, it'll be interesting to see if Atkins gets more midfield time because he's one of the few who can bring that same defensive intensity

In his absence, it'll be interesting to see if Atkins gets more midfield time because he's one of the few who can bring that same defensive intensity
Atkins has been good in the midfield but I assumed he would make way for Dangerfield. But now he can stay in there with a bigger role. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Mate give it a rest. Some people appreciate what he does, others don't. That doesn't make either party objectively correct. With that said, you trying to ram your opinion down people's throats because he doesn't compare to some of the biggest stars we've had, is just frustrating to read, to say the least.

Everyone said all the same crap for years about Guth, before he got let off the leash to become an offensive mid, with TK leaving and Parfitt taking that role. You need defensive mids, to allow players like Danger and Guth to be offensive, which is what Guth was underappreciated by the outside world for - yet TK was writing Addy articles detailing just how important to the team he was.

It's your prerogative that you don't think much of Parfitt or what he brings to the team, nothing wrong with that. It's others' prerogative to appreciate what he does and focus on his strengths and positives. Maybe try considering both sides, before you start mouthing off at those who have actually taken the time out to use factual evidence to support their contention that Parfitt had a huge first quarter - and showed his hardness and importance to the team before he broke his hand.

If you can give some factual evidence rather than 'he's not James Kelly, Selwood, Corey, Bartel, Ablett, Danger etc', then maybe there could actually be a considered discussion - rather than just 'I think he's s**t, everyone here overrates him', and insinuating 'only I can see the real truth because everyone else is too stupid to see it'...or something to that effect.

P.S. comparing players from 40-50 years ago is just pointless. They might have been able to kick 50 metres easily, but did they have the same aerobic capacity? Could they weave in and out of traffic like Parfitt can? Did they have to play multiple roles, or sacrifice their own game in order to help the team - no not usually.

P.P.S. your rant about half forward flankers and Stengle is completely irrelevant to the discussion...as Parfitt has been a defensive mid for 2 years now. Yes there was a focus on defensive forwards, but you can afford to have more attacking players up forward than in the midfield, as it's much more dynamic and open than the centre square that ends up with 6 mids, 2 rucks, 4 wingers, 2 half forwards and 2 half backs, coming up to the contest. In order to stop the ball just waltzing out of the centre clearance, you need a defensive mid to block the exits - especially with the advent of the 6-6-6 rule.

Last edited:
For myself, even as a fan of Parf's, I totally accept the criticism of his disposal by foot. Fact is, though, he brings qualities defensively around the ball that this team desperately needs.

Is he everything we hoped he might be? No way.

Is he a vital cog in keeping this team competitive in the middle as the team transitions? Absolutely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back