Injury 2022 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

CHAWKTS

Senior List
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Higgins seems to glide along without being desperate to get the ball or tackle (unlike Dahl). I wouldn’t mind this so much if, when he gets the ball, he was classy, damaging and could impact the scoreboard directly or indirectly, but I don’t have many memories of Higgins doing this.
when you watch him I reckon he gets at least half his possessions (I may be exaggerating for effect?) receiving a 15m kick. High % of cheap possessions which reinforce the old slow game plan (because by definition it is short and slow with opposition set up).

I get why MC wants him to play given he is experienced and was very good - if you are having one last crack with this team he is probably better on the day than a Dempsey/Francis/Mitch. But I am with you that if they went old I would rather go Dal (as a sub) than Higgins as he brings that energy.

Personally I wouldn't go with either if we have a full team - and if I had one spot left in the 23 I would go with an emerging player as the game day gap isn't that big

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I hope this is a lesson for the club. There is a time to say “nup, too late”. Applies now to Goldstein.
Don't disagree at all, really, But the Higgins one is actually quite strange. I thought he was still travelling quite well in his last year at North. Just seemed to go over a cliff once he got to the Cattery. Whereas Smith is holding up remarkably well. So it seems that individual cases can still vastly differ.

But your general principle will definitely be the best way for us to move forward, particularly now that the likelihood of silverware in our immediate future is obviously receding.

terry_bright

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't disagree at all, really, But the Higgins one is actually quite strange. I thought he was still travelling quite well in his last year at North. Just seemed to go over a cliff once he got to the Cattery. Whereas Smith is holding up remarkably well. So it seems that individual cases can still vastly differ.

But your general principle will definitely be the best way for us to move forward, particularly now that the likelihood of silverware in our immediate future is obviously receding.

For me the difference between Higgins & Smith, aside from their output is what we gave up to get them.
Smith was a free agent, effectively a free hit. Higgins cost us pick 30(?).
No problems IMO going for a senior player under free agency but when you trade for one, more criticism will come the club & players way if it doesn’t pan out.
I was never a fan of Higgins trade, and what we gave up to get him was a big part of that.

moond0g

All Australian
Oct 6, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong

I remember being quite bullish about what Higgins could provide to our side, while at the same time thinking Smith would be a plodder at best, and just get in the way of a kid getting games.

Happy enough now to admit that I was probably wrong on both counts

CHAWKTS

Senior List
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
For me the difference between Higgins & Smith, aside from their output is what we gave up to get them.
Smith was a free agent, effectively a free hit. Higgins cost us pick 30(?).
No problems IMO going for a senior player under free agency but when you trade for one, more criticism will come the club & players way if it doesn’t pan out.
I was never a fan of Higgins trade, and what we gave up to get him was a big part of that.
Agree. Cats should be a good destination for free agents. Lifestyle culture etc. and we should take a swing at those as they come through. Smith has been fantastic. Personally I can see him falling off a cliff at some stage over the next 12 months (he should get a rest soon as output last couple of weeks has been underwhelming) But he might well end up being a difference maker in 2022 and has added a lot since he has arrived

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hoping we see an almost full season from Simpson in 2023.

Will he play this year? Who would he replace?
Surely long odds to play senior footy this year now. But will be a fantastic addition for 2023, if everything goes well from here.

Genuine prospect to be 'best 22' next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I would just play him VFL the rest of the year to make sure he is absolutely cherry ripe.
If he gets through a block of matches in the back half of this year (whatever the level), I will be ecstatic. Lingering concussion symptoms are a really scary prospect around sport at this point. So getting any continuity of footy before next year would be absolutely gold for SOS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad