Injury 2022 Injury Thread

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Parfitt is a significant loss and not easily replaced. Holmes will help, but he is not ready to bang heads with the big boys all game.

Hopefully back for Melbourne and Carlton games.
Reckon Atkins will get a lot more time on ball as our defensive mid, IMO. Plays the same way, but with even more intensity.

CHAWKTS

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
He is a big loss but menegola will help cover parfitts great defensive pressure when he is back.

Narkle definitely dropped now as you cant have his non chasing without parfitts defensive work to balance it out
The question is when will menegola really be back - in terms of his full pressure. He certainly wasn’t like that in vfl last week. Maybe he will be this week? (Rohan took two goes st vfl and in his second one showed the signs of what he can do)

Reckon Atkins will get a lot more time on ball as our defensive mid, IMO. Plays the same way, but with even more intensity.
prob is he cant do it all himself and its not like PFD is suddenly gonna be a born again MF defender.

I see Atkins and MOC getting more MF rotations to cover our defensive absences

GO Catters

Except Parfitt never tackled Bailey Smith in the second quarter he did however tackle another player that quarter and was in some distress and went off the ground.
Fair enough. I did see Smith involved in 2 significant incidents ; recall thinking at the time he'd had some sort of night. But, you may be correct about Parfitt- I can't recall his particular incident.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Parfit has hardly set the world on fire but he is a mid ..in that sweet spot 24-28. Who do we select in his place... Narkle? His absence will be countered to a degree with Danger coming back.
You can give Narkle his place in the team. But you certainly can't imagine him filling Brandan's role.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Willis has not been mentioned in either of the last 2 Injury Updates and I've seen nothing to indicate when he will resume playing. Its frustrating as he looked ready to play AFL body-wise.

Meanwhile I assume Atkins and O'Connor will play some mid-field over the next month. Stephens will stay in and we might see Dempsey/Knevitt.

It further emphasises our desperate need for more mids.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Willis has not been mentioned in either of the last 2 Injury Updates and I've seen nothing to indicate when he will resume playing. Its frustrating as he looked ready to play AFL body-wise.

Meanwhile I assume Atkins and O'Connor will play some mid-field over the next month. Stephens will stay in and we might see Dempsey/Knevitt.

It further emphasises our desperate need for more mids.
I don't think we will see Willis this year, Atkins bring a lot to the side but we so need his pace that's why we so miss Holmes

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Parfit has hardly set the world on fire but he is a mid ..in that sweet spot 24-28. Who do we select in his place... Narkle? His absence will be countered to a degree with Danger coming back.

Your assessment is absolutely spot on

Its stifff cheddar for Parfitt - however someone might come in and be an in improvement - actually be a big improvement - alah Cam Guthrie was going absolutely no where in his career - then Kelly packs up and leaves - Cam takes his spot and plays fantastic football since

The lovefest with Parfitt on this board/forum is embarrassing - some actually gave him high votes in the Footscray game which was a joke - the coaches gave give nothing - not 1 single coaches vote and rightly so

I watched the VFL (and thanks to the poster who put up the link - that was greatly appreciated ) the last 2.5 qtrs - and Menegola was a class above anyone else on the field - he only needs one more game of VFL - and he will be cherry ripe for the AFL - and the great thing about Sam - is he is a beautiful long kick

So Menegola comes in for Parfitt - and in my opinion that is an improvement to the Cats team

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong

Its stifff cheddar for Parfitt - however someone might come in and be an in improvement - actually be a big improvement - alah Cam Guthrie was going absolutely no where in his career - then Kelly packs up and leaves - Cam takes his spot and plays fantastic football since

The lovefest with Parfitt on this board/forum is embarrassing - some actually gave him high votes in the Footscray game which was a joke - the coaches gave give nothing - not 1 single coaches vote and rightly so

I watched the VFL (and thanks to the poster who put up the link - that was greatly appreciated ) the last 2.5 qtrs - and Menegola was a class above anyone else on the field - he only needs one more game of VFL - and he will be cherry ripe for the AFL - and the great thing about Sam - is he is a beautiful long kick

So Menegola comes in for Parfitt - and in my opinion that is an improvement to the Cats team

Menegola can’t play the role that Parfitt plays.

Parfitt has barely played a game of VFL in his career, so hard to assess if he is a class above that level, but I am guessing I know the answer.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

Parfitt is by far our best defensive mid and it isn't even close.

Except Parfitt never tackled Bailey Smith in the second quarter he did however tackle another player that quarter and was in some distress and went off the ground.
Over by the grassy knoll

Never again Narkle. We have Dangerfield and Menegola back against the Eagles by the sounds of it then Holmes shortly after.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

That's tough he played the last two and half quarters injured,taken out of the center bounce as he was to restricted to be effective and asked to run back and forward through the spine blocking space and helping in rotations well done I say he could have just taken the ease way out and put the tracksuit on.

Reads like we'll know more once Parfitt has had surgery, and what steps are taken to help repair the break
The surgery will be putting a plate in his hand, the we'll know more completely relates to his pain tolerance and the strength in the hand.

I'd say he'll be shorter out than longer, he's clearly a tough bastard as twice he's broken a hand and played out the game.
But speaking as someone who has a plate in their hand it hurts like hell for a bit, and you loose a ridiculous amount of strength instantly.

Bone break wise though, the plate will hold it all together, and he'll just be protected from ball work and contests for a few weeks. The bye into WC means that at least we don't get as burnt by it as we could

Narkle is like the antithesis to Parfitt.
Imho, Parfitt is a key player. Great tackler, always in and under; we sorely missed him in finals.
Narkle is nothing like that, but possibly he has something that Parfitt doesn't.
Maybe Menegola ?

CHAWKTS

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Never again Narkle. We have Dangerfield and Menegola back against the Eagles by the sounds of it then Holmes shortly after.
I would be shocked in danger and menagola came back for eagles - however I am regularly shocked so maybe that doesnt mean much?!

I just think Danger is a waste until they know he is 100% - maybe 110%!! Being on a plane for that long doesnt help anyone to play them. Menagola certatinly needs one more game at VFL level (he wasn’t great on Friday) - but you could argue Eagles is close to VFL so maybe they play him?

I would think they take Dal out with Parfitt and maybe narkle (sub) with Kolo back and maybe a youngster gets a shot over there?

What I would like to see (but don’t expect) is

Out

Parf (inj) Dal, Narkle (omitt), Smith, Hawke (managed)

In

Kolo, Menagola, Neale (WA), Dempsey

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Narkle is like the antithesis to Parfitt.
Imho, Parfitt is a key player. Great tackler, always in and under; we sorely missed him in finals.
Narkle is nothing like that, but possibly he has something that Parfitt doesn't.
Maybe Menegola ?

Me naming Narkle was not in anyway a recomendation for him to play or replace Parfitt. His form this year has seen him play like something from a zombie movie. I dont get it apart from him already knowing he is gone at years end and there is little to no interest at other clubs.

If we want to maintain the pressure that Parfit brings there are few options. Perhaps MOC? Menegola will come back in and so will Danger.. I dont see either as def first players.

I would be shocked in danger and menagola came back for eagles - however I am regularly shocked so maybe that doesnt mean much?!

I just think Danger is a waste until they know he is 100% - maybe 110%!! Being on a plane for that long doesnt help anyone to play them. Menagola certatinly needs one more game at VFL level (he wasn’t great on Friday) - but you could argue Eagles is close to VFL so maybe they play him?

I would think they take Dal out with Parfitt and maybe narkle (sub) with Kolo back and maybe a youngster gets a shot over there?

What I would like to see (but don’t expect) is

Out

Parf (inj) Dal, Narkle (omitt), Smith, Hawke (managed)

In

Kolo, Menagola, Neale (WA), Dempsey
I’m only going by what they’ve stated publicly. Of course, that could be misleading.

Back