Injury 2022 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins seems to glide along without being desperate to get the ball or tackle (unlike Dahl). I wouldn’t mind this so much if, when he gets the ball, he was classy, damaging and could impact the scoreboard directly or indirectly, but I don’t have many memories of Higgins doing this.
when you watch him I reckon he gets at least half his possessions (I may be exaggerating for effect?) receiving a 15m kick. High % of cheap possessions which reinforce the old slow game plan (because by definition it is short and slow with opposition set up).

I get why MC wants him to play given he is experienced and was very good - if you are having one last crack with this team he is probably better on the day than a Dempsey/Francis/Mitch. But I am with you that if they went old I would rather go Dal (as a sub) than Higgins as he brings that energy.

Personally I wouldn't go with either if we have a full team - and if I had one spot left in the 23 I would go with an emerging player as the game day gap isn't that big

Not for us, anyway. Now seems he came to us a couple of years too late to see his optimal output.
I hope this is a lesson for the club. There is a time to say “nup, too late”. Applies now to Goldstein.

I hope this is a lesson for the club. There is a time to say “nup, too late”. Applies now to Goldstein.
Don't disagree at all, really, But the Higgins one is actually quite strange. I thought he was still travelling quite well in his last year at North. Just seemed to go over a cliff once he got to the Cattery. Whereas Smith is holding up remarkably well. So it seems that individual cases can still vastly differ.

But your general principle will definitely be the best way for us to move forward, particularly now that the likelihood of silverware in our immediate future is obviously receding.

Don't disagree at all, really, But the Higgins one is actually quite strange. I thought he was still travelling quite well in his last year at North. Just seemed to go over a cliff once he got to the Cattery. Whereas Smith is holding up remarkably well. So it seems that individual cases can still vastly differ.

But your general principle will definitely be the best way for us to move forward, particularly now that the likelihood of silverware in our immediate future is obviously receding.

For me the difference between Higgins & Smith, aside from their output is what we gave up to get them.
Smith was a free agent, effectively a free hit. Higgins cost us pick 30(?).
No problems IMO going for a senior player under free agency but when you trade for one, more criticism will come the club & players way if it doesn’t pan out.
I was never a fan of Higgins trade, and what we gave up to get him was a big part of that.

I remember being quite bullish about what Higgins could provide to our side, while at the same time thinking Smith would be a plodder at best, and just get in the way of a kid getting games.

Happy enough now to admit that I was probably wrong on both counts

I remember being quite bullish about what Higgins could provide to our side, while at the same time thinking Smith would be a plodder at best, and just get in the way of a kid getting games.

Happy enough now to admit that I was probably wrong on both counts
Come on matey.
You can do better than that. :) :)

For me the difference between Higgins & Smith, aside from their output is what we gave up to get them.
Smith was a free agent, effectively a free hit. Higgins cost us pick 30(?).
No problems IMO going for a senior player under free agency but when you trade for one, more criticism will come the club & players way if it doesn’t pan out.
I was never a fan of Higgins trade, and what we gave up to get him was a big part of that.
Agree. Cats should be a good destination for free agents. Lifestyle culture etc. and we should take a swing at those as they come through. Smith has been fantastic. Personally I can see him falling off a cliff at some stage over the next 12 months (he should get a rest soon as output last couple of weeks has been underwhelming) But he might well end up being a difference maker in 2022 and has added a lot since he has arrived

Hoping we see an almost full season from Simpson in 2023.

Will he play this year? Who would he replace?
Surely long odds to play senior footy this year now. But will be a fantastic addition for 2023, if everything goes well from here.

Genuine prospect to be 'best 22' next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would just play him VFL the rest of the year to make sure he is absolutely cherry ripe.
If he gets through a block of matches in the back half of this year (whatever the level), I will be ecstatic. Lingering concussion symptoms are a really scary prospect around sport at this point. So getting any continuity of footy before next year would be absolutely gold for SOS.

A pair of injured Cats are closing in on their football returns as Geelong’s injury list continues to shorten and the business end of the season nears.

Ruck recruit Jonathon Ceglar and midfield wrecking ball Brandan Parfitt are both ramping up their training efforts as comebacks get closer for both players.

“Jonathon is building his conditioning program and integration into football specific drills,” Head of Medical and Conditioning Harry Taylor.

“Brandan is progressing through a specific program, whilst his hand injury heals.”

“We expect to see both Jonathon and Brandan back playing in the not-too-distant future.”

The club is still working through plans for Patrick Dangerfield’s return after his comeback was delayed last week.

“The decision was made last week for Patrick to continue an additional period of training as the last signs of tightness clear,” Taylor says.

"He has put in some big sessions with the group and the medical and conditioning team will continue to work through the best plan for Patrick this week."

Veteran Cat Shaun Higgins made a successful return via the VFL against Richmond on Sunday.

Speed machine Gary Rohan will reintegrate with the main group with the hopes of getting the green light after a late scratching last week.

“Gary was a late withdrawal from the game against Richmond due to sickness pregame,” Taylor says.

“Gary has recovered well and will resume training with the main group, with the hope of being available for selection this week.”

Sam Simpson continues to make positive progress on the training track.

"Sam has been training well over the past fortnight and has shown great persistence and resilience, as he works through post-concussion program,” Taylor says.

“We hope to see Sam return to playing in the medium term.”

First-year trio Cooper Whyte (groin), Flynn Kroeger (wrist) and James Willis (knee) all remain sidelined.

A pair of injured Cats are closing in on their football returns as Geelong’s injury list continues to shorten and the business end of the season nears.

Ruck recruit Jonathon Ceglar and midfield wrecking ball Brandan Parfitt are both ramping up their training efforts as comebacks get closer for both players.

“Jonathon is building his conditioning program and integration into football specific drills,” Head of Medical and Conditioning Harry Taylor.

“Brandan is progressing through a specific program, whilst his hand injury heals.”

“We expect to see both Jonathon and Brandan back playing in the not-too-distant future.”

The club is still working through plans for Patrick Dangerfield’s return after his comeback was delayed last week.

“The decision was made last week for Patrick to continue an additional period of training as the last signs of tightness clear,” Taylor says.

"He has put in some big sessions with the group and the medical and conditioning team will continue to work through the best plan for Patrick this week."

Veteran Cat Shaun Higgins made a successful return via the VFL against Richmond on Sunday.

Speed machine Gary Rohan will reintegrate with the main group with the hopes of getting the green light after a late scratching last week.

“Gary was a late withdrawal from the game against Richmond due to sickness pregame,” Taylor says.

“Gary has recovered well and will resume training with the main group, with the hope of being available for selection this week.”

Sam Simpson continues to make positive progress on the training track.

"Sam has been training well over the past fortnight and has shown great persistence and resilience, as he works through post-concussion program,” Taylor says.

“We hope to see Sam return to playing in the medium term.”

First-year trio Cooper Whyte (groin), Flynn Kroeger (wrist) and James Willis (knee) all remain sidelined.

Can you interpret this into English for us?

Can you interpret this into English for us?
- Ceglar & Parfitt are recovering & we should see them in the hoops at some stage in 2022

- Dangerfield is stuffed, so they took him out the back & shot him*

- Higgins pulled on the Bankers uniform for the first time yesterday, & will become well acquainted with it by the end of season 2022

- Rohan was sick on Saturday, and will hopefully play against North if he's not sick this Saturday

- Simpson is doing better and being trialled in a new role as runner for the VFL team

- Whyte, Kroeger & Willis are newbies and at this stage the coaches are unsure who they actually are as they've spent more time with the medical staff than the playing group. It's believed they're still turning up each week but at this stage they can't be sure*

*Please note these passages may not be accurate

- Ceglar & Parfitt are recovering & we should see them in the hoops at some stage in 2022

- Dangerfield is stuffed, so they took him out the back & shot him*

- Higgins pulled on the Bankers uniform for the first time yesterday, & will become well acquainted with it by the end of season 2022

- Rohan was sick on Saturday, and will hopefully play against North if he's not sick this Saturday

- Simpson is doing better and being trialled in a new role as runner for the VFL team

- Whyte, Kroeger & Willis are newbies and at this stage the coaches are unsure who they actually are as they've spent more time with the medical staff than the playing group. It's believed they're still turning up each week but at this stage they can't be sure*

*Please note these passages may not be accurate

I seriously hope you weren't having a little fun with us here!! 😉

What baffles me is why wasn't one of these players put on the long term injury list so we could check out some players in the mid season draft??
Maybe there was not many we rated.

Willis, Kroeger and Whyte remain in the Bermuda Triangle of injury updates.

Sam Simpson (concussion), James Willis (knee), Flynn Kroeger (wrist) and Cooper Whyte (groin) remain sidelined with their respective injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back