Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gino Mader

• Esteban Chaves

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3 weeks away today. It looks like a bumper GC crowd, much stronger than both Le Tour and Il Giro. Looks like we'll have all the winners from 2016 onwards racing with Roglic, Yates, Froome (although his GC days are over) and Quintana; as well as Hindley, Vlasov, Kelderman, O'Connor, Carapaz, Evenepoel, Almeida, McNulty, Haig, Landa, Mader and Chaves all hopeful for strong finishes. Even guys like De La Cruz, Pozzovivo, Mientjes, Bilbao and JP Lopez, all of whom are really strong top 10 candidates look like they could be fringe top 20. I think it'll be Vincenzo Nibali and Alejandro Valverde's last race and amazingly Egan Bernal might return for Ineos after that horrible accident.

The TTT start makes it very interesting. Expect Jumbo, UAE, BikeExchange and Quickstep to be right up there for the TTT. Two flat stages after, which suits Sam Bennett, Tim Merlier or Pascal Ackermann.

It's going to be hell after that and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it.

Yes, I picked Roglic again. Crash'n'burn probably. :(
He's racing to equal Roberto Heras' four wins of La Vuelta and the first one to win it four times in a row.

He'll be the big favourite alongside Yates (who is in really good form this year), Hindley and probably Carapaz. What's your thinking on Vlasov over Hindley/Yates? Carapaz I can understand but he's probably the second rider for Bora given how well Hindley went in the Giro.

Heat factor will be huge this year, would not surprise to stages shortened, or even better for us earlier start times. Expecting most will have a bad day due to it, consistency will be key.
Yeah, that's bad for Yates who really struggles with the heat.
Well Remco has just fired the first shot. Looking very fit and lean.
Huge win. Let's see if he can keep it up over 3 weeks.

Groves is now apparently racing. Also finished ahead of Cav and Demare last night in the Tour of Poland too.

Yeah, that's bad for Yates who really struggles with the heat.

Huge win. Let's see if he can keep it up over 3 weeks.

Groves is now apparently racing. Also finished ahead of Cav and Demare last night in the Tour of Poland too.

Poland was a weird finish, technical run in and basically a 200m sprint out of a corner to the finish, also massive crash at 1k to go. Jumbo had ideal position and Koij finished it off but he is ridiculously talented. Basically first 4 through the corner were the only ones that could win and BEX lead out riders were struggling to stay in a straight line as they have all year. He could easily get a win at Vuelta though.

I suspect the BEX team for the Vuelta will be something like this Yates, Hamilton, Howson , Groves, Hepburn, Durbridge, Edmondson - Last spot could be out of Konychev, Sobrero, Smith - Note this team will provide a good TTT, some support for Yates and Groves - Note that Edmondson broke his ribs in Poland but should be right for the Vuelta - There aren't many sprint stages, however Groves can get over lumpy terrain as evidenced in stage three of the Poland - I'd be tempted to take Smith who could snare a stage win in a selective finish.

I suspect the BEX team for the Vuelta will be something like this Yates, Hamilton, Howson , Groves, Hepburn, Durbridge, Edmondson - Last spot could be out of Konychev, Sobrero, Smith - Note this team will provide a good TTT, some support for Yates and Groves - Note that Edmondson broke his ribs in Poland but should be right for the Vuelta - There aren't many sprint stages, however Groves can get over lumpy terrain as evidenced in stage three of the Poland - I'd be tempted to take Smith who could snare a stage win in a selective finish.
I think Craddock is more likely than Durbridge given Durbo hasn't raced since the Tour and Craddock seems to be gearing towards it. It's a very strong
TTT team with Groves' ability in that regard, Yates' form, Craddock being strong. Konychev will go and I'd take Sobrero over Hepburn or Howson but that looks unlikely.

Kinda annoyed we didn't send Hamilton to the Sazka tour because he'd be the GC favourite there

I think Craddock is more likely than Durbridge given Durbo hasn't raced since the Tour and Craddock seems to be gearing towards it. It's a very strong
TTT team with Groves' ability in that regard, Yates' form, Craddock being strong. Konychev will go and I'd take Sobrero over Hepburn or Howson but that looks unlikely.

Kinda annoyed we didn't send Hamilton to the Sazka tour because he'd be the GC favourite there

BEX have pulled the right reign at the Sazka Tour - Howson has previously won this race and is reliable in 2.1 races - In saying that the profiles are tougher than the last two editions.

Official teams are starting to filter in with both Bora-Hansgrohe and Bike Exchange confirming their riders.

Bike Exchange: Yates, Craddock, Durbridge, Groves (Grand Tour debut), Hamilton, Hepburn, O'Brien (Grand Tour debut) and Scotson
Bora-Hansgrohe: Hindley, Bennett, Buchmann, Higuita, Kelderman, Koch, Mullen and Van Poppel

Two strong teams. Hope Kaden gets a win on stage 2 or 3.

Roglic is in. Good climbing team too for Jumbo, which is the opposite for Yates, feel like BEX need another climber as domestique.
They have 3 in Hamilton, Hepburn and Scotson. Roglic obviously favourite but I don't mind choosing to have a bob each way with Groves on his GT debut.

Strong GC crowd is nice to see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have 3 in Hamilton, Hepburn and Scotson. Roglic obviously favourite but I don't mind choosing to have a bob each way with Groves on his GT debut.

Strong GC crowd is nice to see

What - Hepburn is a flat rider, while occasionally Scotson can get over a medium mountain

Team lists are finalised.

Big favourites have to be Roglic, O'Connor, MA Lopez, Landa, Hindley, Carapaz, Enric Mas, Evenepoel (let's see if he lasts the 3 weeks), Yates, Almeida and Quintana. Mader, Kelderman, Uran, Carthy, Pinot, Geoghan Hart, Arensmen, JP Lopez, McNulty, Hirt, Pozzovivo and Mientjes are all also genuine top 10 chances as well.

It's a very strong field, and despite no Pogacar or Vingegaard I think it's the strongest GC field this year.

Hard to pick team leaders. Ineos, Bora, UAE I don't see who it is. I don't feel it will be Hindley, I reckon it could be a stage like the Giro where Bora go crazy on medium mountains and then just go with who is best placed. Almeida is just a podium chance at best, doesn't a have a winning burst, Ayuso not ready yet but will back himself and McNulty is too inconsistent for 3 week races. Ineos will be Carapaz but unlikely to be all in. Roglic the clear leader for Jumbo so I think his fitness is better than what people think. For Yates the TTT will be a good result for BEX but at best they are not stealing massive time there and he will be isolated pretty early in the mountains unless Hamilton is in good form. Wide open which is good, should be a battle just for podium spots.

Hard to pick team leaders. Ineos, Bora, UAE I don't see who it is. I don't feel it will be Hindley, I reckon it could be a stage like the Giro where Bora go crazy on medium mountains and then just go with who is best placed. Almeida is just a podium chance at best, doesn't a have a winning burst, Ayuso not ready yet but will back himself and McNulty is too inconsistent for 3 week races. Ineos will be Carapaz but unlikely to be all in. Roglic the clear leader for Jumbo so I think his fitness is better than what people think. For Yates the TTT will be a good result for BEX but at best they are not stealing massive time there and he will be isolated pretty early in the mountains unless Hamilton is in good form. Wide open which is good, should be a battle just for podium spots.
Hindley has said that they'll be approaching it the same way as the Giro. UAE is nominally Soler but I just don't see it for him.

Roglic probably wins but the battle for the placings and the top 10 should be great to see.

TTT start tims:

2:30:00 BURGOS-BH
2:34:00 INTERMARCHE - WANTY - GOBERT MATER.
2:38:00 ISRAEL-PREMIER TECH
2:42:00 GROUPAMA - FDJ
2:46:00 TEAM ARKEA - SAMSIC
2:50:00 COFIDIS
2:54:00 EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI
2:58:00 EF EDUCATION - EASYPOST
3:02:00 TEAM BIKEEXCHANGE-JAYCO
3:06:00 AG2R CITROEN TEAM
3:10:00 BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS
3:14:00 LOTTO SOUDAL
3:18:00 ALPECIN - DECEUNINCK
3:22:00 EQUIPO KERN PHARMA
3:26:00 TEAM DSM
3:30:00 BORA - HANSGROHE
3:34:00 UAE TEAM EMIRATES
3:38:00 ASTANA QAZAQSTAN TEAM
3:42:00 TREK - SEGAFREDO
3:46:00 INEOS GRENADIERS
3:50:00 QUICK-STEP ALPHA VINYL TEAM
3:54:00 MOVISTAR TEAM
3:58:00 JUMBO - VISMA

No real surprises with the TTT. Roglic is going to be hard to beat with another ITT in there unless he crashes. Carapaz, Evenepoel, Yates and Almeida the obvious challengers from here

The FC Utrecht stadium (Stadion Galgenwaard) is a very nice one, holds a little under 24,000 spectators. Can't see them winning the Dutch title anytime soon.

Well Roglic flexed his muscles. I get the feeling that if he stays upright he'll put a huge margin into second. Bad miss by Yates to lose 7 seconds but the only real contenders between him and Roglic are Geoghan Hart, Evenepoel (if he can last 3 weeks) and Carapaz, but Mas and Hindley both gained time on him. The current "contenders" top 10 is:

Roglic
Geoghan Hart 26"
Evenepoel 27"
Carapaz 33"
Yates 51"
Mas 52"
Almeida 53"
Ayuso
McNulty
Hindley 54" (Same with Kelderman)

Mader and Landa are a further 8 seconds behind Hindley along with Juan Pedro Loped once UAE decide who their leader is, Miguel Angel Lopez another 4 seconds and O'Connor another 2 after that, and the rest are cooked as far as a podium goes for me.

Back