Prediction 2022 ladder after 23 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Melbourne: The youngest team in the finals. Will only get better.
2. Port: A big home ground advantage so will do well in the H&A.
3. Sydney. Better young kids than most give them credit for. Play will energy.
4. Dogs: Natural improvement of young players but probably less favoured by the umps in 2022 than 2021
5. Brisbane: I've never rated them as much as others. Zorko, Bailey and Cameron are their only dangerous players.
6. Richmond: Ageing list. They won't be half as scary once Riewoldt finishes up.
7. Essendon: A good young list. Further improvement should come from the kids.
8. Geelong: Retirement village. Geelong will be the victim of Scott's stubbornness and inability to recognise that a rebuild is/was needed.
———————
9. St Kilda: Have a better list than previous ladder finishes.
10. Carlton: Unhealthy reliance on Walsh.
11. West Coast: Not half the team without Josh Kennedy in his prime.
12. Freo: Will they ever play Serong in his natural position full time with healthy TOG%?
13. GWS: Toby Greene, what a leader.
14. Collingwood. Hi Ned Guy
15. Hawthorn. If they get their kids right in this draft it'll be a quick rebuild.
16. GC: Deserve to be higher than Adelaide. Rowell and Anderson must produce
17. North: Will Phillips and No.1 pick will generate energy into the group.
18. Adelaide. Spooners
Yeah totally agree... winning a rising star, AFLPA best young player, AFLCA best young player, goal of the year, Players award at club and coming 4th in the club b&f in your second year of footy is a pretty good indication that you aren't being used properly. Hopefully you get your way so he can end up a banged up shell of himself by 26 years old instead :thumbsu:

1. Melbourne
2. Carlton
3. Swans
4. Dogs
5. Essendon
6. Port
7. GWS
8. Richmond
9. North
10. Adelaide
11. Brisbane
12. Freo
13. GC
14. Collingwood
15. Hawks
16. St Kilda
17. Cats
18. Eagles

Don't care for analysis, this is purely for me to look back on and see how I went.

Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Essendon
Geelong
Bulldogs
Melbourne
Sydney
Gold Coast
--------------------
Richmond
Brisbane
St Kilda
GWS
West Coast
North Melbourne
Fremantle
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Carlton

That is brilliant bait. If Hawks and Blues finish bottom 2 in either order, and Pies make the finals in any position I will find a way to buy you a case, and then punch myself in the face 3 or 8 times.

Brisbane
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Carlton
Richmond
Sydney

GWS
Essendon
St Kilda
Fremantle
West Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
North Melbourne
Adelaide
Hawks

People are underestimating the Gold Coast, there's an abundance of talent that I think is ready to push up the ladder if they can stay healthy.

You could copy and paste this in every preseason prediction thread. Still yet to happen though!

Congrats on the win mate, but Melbourne wasn’t the youngest team in the finals.
1. Melbourne: The youngest team in the finals. Will only get better.
2. Port: A big home ground advantage so will do well in the H&A.
3. Sydney. Better young kids than most give them credit for. Play will energy.
4. Dogs: Natural improvement of young players but probably less favoured by the umps in 2022 than 2021
5. Brisbane: I've never rated them as much as others. Zorko, Bailey and Cameron are their only dangerous players.
6. Richmond: Ageing list. They won't be half as scary once Riewoldt finishes up.
7. Essendon: A good young list. Further improvement should come from the kids.
8. Geelong: Retirement village. Geelong will be the victim of Scott's stubbornness and inability to recognise that a rebuild is/was needed.
———————
9. St Kilda: Have a better list than previous ladder finishes.
10. Carlton: Unhealthy reliance on Walsh.
11. West Coast: Not half the team without Josh Kennedy in his prime.
12. Freo: Will they ever play Serong in his natural position full time with healthy TOG%?
13. GWS: Toby Greene, what a leader.
14. Collingwood. Hi Ned Guy
15. Hawthorn. If they get their kids right in this draft it'll be a quick rebuild.
16. GC: Deserve to be higher than Adelaide. Rowell and Anderson must produce
17. North: Will Phillips and No.1 pick will generate energy into the group.
18. Adelaide. Spooners

Yeah totally agree... winning a rising star, AFLPA best young player, AFLCA best young player, goal of the year, Players award at club and coming 4th in the club b&f in your second year of footy is a pretty good indication that you aren't being used properly. Hopefully you get your way so he can end up a banged up shell of himself by 26 years old instead :thumbsu:

He is a ready made midfielder mate. his tog% is like 65%. its a joke. nice work listing a bunch of awards that mean nothing.

If we can play a 19 year old in the bloody ruck all year against seasoned vets including in the granny then you can play a nuggety inside mid in the guts. no excuses.

not to mention sam walsh

ITT: Lot's of people underestimating Adelaide. We had 5 games where we lost by 2 goals or less due to kids fading out.
Add another pre-season and development into those kids + Burgess + Dawson + Milera and we're a much better team.

Without obviously seeing the draw yet, I have us winning 9 or 10 games next season, and finishing in that 9 - 14 range.

Melbourne
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Sydney
GWS Giants
Essendon
Fremantle
---
Geelong
Richmond
Adelaide
Carlton
St Kilda
West Coast
North Melbourne
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Hawthorn

ITT: Lot's of people underestimating Adelaide. We had 5 games where we lost by 2 goals or less due to kids fading out.
Add another pre-season and development into those kids + Burgess + Dawson + Milera and we're a much better team.

Without obviously seeing the draw yet, I have us winning 9 or 10 games next season, and finishing in that 9 - 14 range.

Melbourne
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Sydney
GWS Giants
Essendon
Fremantle
---
Geelong
Richmond
Adelaide
Carlton
St Kilda
West Coast
North Melbourne
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Hawthorn

"Crows will improve because they lost a lot of games by not much. But Hawks will get worse because they won quite a few games against top teams".

I love it.

Crows won one away game in 2021 didnt they?

"Crows will improve because they lost a lot of games by not much. But Hawks will get worse because they won quite a few games against top teams".

I love it.

Crows won one away game in 2021 didnt they?

Pluh-eese, we took out the now reigning premiers (and Geelong).

Mind you, I reckon the Hawks will get worse purely because of replacing Clarko for Mitchell and the manner they did so, especially as it's clear as day the players still were playing for him. Plus you might still have Kennett at the helm and you'd be amazed how much damage an abrasive and incompetent president can do to a team.

Also we won 2, North and Saints, but rebuilding teams need to walk before they run, and that requires turning your home ground into a near fortress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pluh-eese, we took out the now reigning premiers (and Geelong).

Mind you, I reckon the Hawks will get worse purely because of replacing Clarko for Mitchell and the manner they did so, especially as it's clear as day the players still were playing for him. Plus you might still have Kennett at the helm and you'd be amazed how much damage an abrasive and incompetent president can do to a team.

Also we won 2, North and Saints, but rebuilding teams need to walk before they run, and that requires turning your home ground into a near fortress.

And yet if you read our board T Mitchell wanted out because he didnt like Clarko... but he loves Sam and wants to stay.

But Im pretty sure there are plenty of S Mitchell apologists and Hawthorn social media types around.

I've decided to test myself by posting my ladder prediction alongside a randomly-generated ladder prediction. I can't wait to learn that I know less about football than a random number generator.

My predictionMy reasonRNG predictionRNG reason
1MelbourneStill scared after their Grand Final performanceCollingwoodGet Daicos for free, ride that wave all season long
2BrisbaneStrong home & away performers, need to keep that going in SeptemberCarltonTurns out Voss is a savant, Walsh is a Brownlow lock
3Port AdelaideGood blend of youth and experience, can they finally push past the PrelimRichmondHappy being the hunter rather than the hunted
4RichmondHappy being the hunter rather than the hunted (RNG stole my idea)EssendonCan't let the other big Vic clubs take all the attention
5SydneyGood year last year, continue to build on that and push for top fourGeelongEvery year people predict they'll miss finals, every year they prove the doubters wrong
6FremantleThe small nagging feeling in the back of my head that things will click for them this yearSt KildaThe RNG is more optimistic than I am, hasn't suffered like I have
7Western BulldogsWe've seen plenty of teams that suffered harsh Grand Final losses struggle the following seasonWestern BulldogsCopy-cat
8GeelongSomehow, someway, this team just refuses to diePort AdelaideTrying to get Hinkley sacked. Jokes on Port fans, Kochie takes over as President/Coach
9St KildaI'm a pessimist at heart and it's easier to prepare for disappointment than have hope only to see it shatteredMelbournePremiership hangover, Melbourne fans begin to wonder if it was all a collective fever dream
10EssendonMy best mate is a Bombers fan and if I'm suffering next season so is heWest CoastWin most of their home games, lose most of their away games, just happy they beat Freo
11CarltonSlow start as they adapt to Voss but build into the season before yet again winning the trade periodAdelaideSaw that I had them in 12th and decided to one-up me
12AdelaideSolid improvements from youth with the massive highs but disappointing inconsistencies that come with young sidesBrisbaneCan't go out in straight sets if you don't make the finals
13GWSThink Leon Cameron gets the sackFremantleMcGowan doesn't let Freo leave WA, apparently the same rule doesn't apply to West Coast
14Gold CoastClassic Gold Coast season: start the season 3-1, finish it 7-15. Ben King re-signs for ten years after kicking ten goals against the Saints because I'm broken insideSydneyBuddy kicks his 1,000th goal and the entire crowd rushes the ground, infecting every Swans player with Covid and ruining their season
15West CoastThink they'll struggle this season as they look to have a mini-rebuild and resetHawthornEven the RNG is sick of Hawthorn's success and wants them to struggle for a while
16CollingwoodThey get to use the good draft pick they get for this bottom four finishNorth MelbourneWould be lower but the RNG hates expansion sides
17HawthornStronger experienced players than North keep them from the spoonGold CoastRNG hates expansion sides
18North MelbourneWill look vastly better than a spoon side should, but I think they'll be looking at player development more than resultsGWSSee above

Demons - won't have same luck with injuries, but chemistry and confidence to improve again
Lions - super hungry, need to maintain a good W/L until hipwood is back, midfield is elite

Power - Finally beat good teams, they barely did that this year, they'll toughen up
Tigers - should bounce back up into form, they clearly were off this year
Dogs - did well for 3 quarters but honestly still an embarrassing result, will create some doubt, but they'll come good again
Saints - won't have the hardest draw again, won't have the worst injury list again (based on games missed by 22), Max King looks set to go wild (did second half)
Cats - Getting older, still good enough to make finals, but not good enough to do damage in September. Should hang on.
Swans - Will now get a slightly harder draw (like Essendon), but proved they can beat a handful of good teams, so no need to worry.

---------

Bombers - Played well this year, had the softest draw. Youngsters impressed, so did Parish and Stringer (second half), pushing for finals but just outside.
Blues - Will be around the 8 all year but just too many better teams. Will pull off some big scalps but lose to some low teams also.
Giants - Overachieved this year. Posh private school footy, need to get down and dirty, Hogan could be huge though. finals a chance but unlikely.
Dockers - Similar to Blues, great midfield, solid defence, need to sort the fwd line out though.
Eagles - Like Geelong but nowhere near as good. Ageing stars, dearth of young talent. Best for them to miss the 8 and get a good draft pick; window shut.
Hawks - Hurt but injury but there season ladder finish was no surprise. Too reliant on Mitchell. Wingard showed heaps at the end. Great to get Sic back.
North - Second half of the year showed they aren't the worst. Rapid improvement but still to inconsistent by youngsters. Stevo to become an A grader
Suns - Unfortunately more of the same, they love to tease early then fall away. Their year to pounce is 2023, unless King leaves.
Crows - Improving but not as competitive as sides mentioned above. Higher than Pies due to better HG advantage.
Pies - See above.

Who rises: Hawthorn under Sam Mitchell revitalise their game plan and jump back up the ladder and contend for the 8, slicing teams off the half back with their run and skill

Who falls: Geelong maintain a winning record due to their games at GMHBA, but fall off and down to the backend of the 8, due to some comprehensive losses away from home and bow out in the first round of the finals, prompting tough calls on the futures of Chris Scott and his men.

Full Ladder:
Western Bulldogs - 16 wins - Driven by the desire for redemption. Midfield steamrolls most.

Melbourne Demons - 15 wins - Outclass teams week by week being a step ahead, but like most teams after a premiership they drop the odd game and badly.

Brisbane Lions - 14 wins - Unbeatable at the Gabba.

Port Adelaide - 14 wins - Win their games at home, the iffy form in Victoria continues, reasons as to why they aren't pushing top 2.

Sydney Swans - 13 wins - Young players strive for consistency but lack composure at times, leading to a stagnation on the ladder.

GWS Giants - 13 wins - Struggle early days with no Toby Greene, find a way to be at a near even W/L ratio and storm home late in the year.

Essendon Bombers- 12 wins - Stagnate with the loss of Cale Hooker and struggle to find consistent scoring avenues, strong midfield keeps them in the game.

Geelong Cats - 11 wins - Maintain a winning record due to games at GMHBA but fall off due to comprehensive losses away from home and bow out first round of the finals, prompting tough calls on the future of Chris Scott and his men.

----

Fremantle Dockers - 11 wins - Would be pushing the top 8 if not for the loss of Adam Cerra, instead only rise a few spots on the ladder and are stiffed out of the finals by small losses away from home.

Hawthorn Hawks - 10 wins - Barely miss out on finals, but lose games due to mistakes in close games with a young group and new coach.

Richmond Tigers - 10 wins - Miss out on the finals and the title of Ninethmond, tough losses with an aging group and reliance on younger midfielders who haven't had as much exposure, which is due to injuries to veteran midfielders.

Carlton Blues - 9 wins - Questions arise over Michael Voss at his first year at the Blues with a road ahead to begin rebuilding club culture and winning mentality.

StKilda Saints - 9 wins - Once again miss finals with again an over reliance on Jack Steele, struggle with lack of scoring avenues.

Adelaide Crows - 8 wins - A promising group, with lots of young talent, stagnate/rise by 1 on the ladder but with possibilites to rise slightly more with Dawson coming in.

West Coast Eagles- 7 wins - Drop with injuries to veteran mids and key players, with lack of youth to steer the ship and a long road ahead of the boys over in the West.

North Melbourne - 7 wins - Rise from wooden spoon with it all looking up for the white and blue kangaroos.

Gold Coast Suns - 7 wins - Stiffed out with a couple draws which keeps them from rising to 9 wins and a place where you can build upon.

Collingwood Magpies - 5 wins - A younger group coming through the ranks as they push out the old, not enough time to gel but find some wins late in the season, don't get flogged too often in a pretty even year.

Brownlow: Marcus Bontempelli - 37 votes - The stars align and he brings him the Charlie, no form slumps and a superstar all the way through.

Coleman: Buddy Franklin - 65 goals - It all comes together, little to no injuries, 1000th goal and a Sydney side that's once again in the top 5.

Rising Star: Jason Horne-Francis - Best player in it, the most mature body aswell and will be ready from game 1 to play at a high standard.

Premier: Melbourne Demons - Clayton Oliver - 12 points - Back to back as other teams are still continuing to build - Western Bulldogs

Port Adelaide - 14 wins - Win their games at home, the iffy form in Victoria continues, reasons as to why they aren't pushing top 2.
Port were undefeated in Victoria, doesn’t sound very iffy to me. Four of their six losses came at home, all against top sides with significant margins.

Port were undefeated in Victoria, doesn’t sound very iffy to me. Four of their six losses came at home, all against top sides with significant margins.
If i remember correctly, they played games in VIC against more poor opposition. They played alot of strong teams at home. Probably wrong in my assumption but it looked iffy.

1. Melbourne
2. GWS
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Brisbane
5. Port Adelaide
6. Geelong
7. Richmond
8. Carlton
9. Fremantle
10. Sydney
11. Essendon
12. St.Kilda
13. West Coast
14. Adelaide
15. North Melbourne
16. Gold Coast
17. Collingwood
18. Hawthorn

If i remember correctly, they played games in VIC against more poor opposition. They played alot of strong teams at home. Probably wrong in my assumption but it looked iffy.
Regardless of opposition quality all of their wins in Victoria were pretty comfortable except v Collingwood (in a four week period where the Pies beat us and Adelaide, and almost knocked off the Cats and Power) and the Dogs. All of their losses in Adelaide were effectively smashings.

1. Melbourne
2. Carlton
3. Swans
4. Dogs
5. Essendon
6. Port
7. GWS
8. Richmond
9. North
10. Adelaide
11. Brisbane
12. Freo
13. GC
14. Collingwood
15. Hawks
16. St Kilda
17. Cats
18. Eagles

Don't care for analysis, this is purely for me to look back on and see how I went.
Let me save you the wait. You went s**t.....just like everyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back