Prediction 2022 ladder after 23 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Improvement isn’t linear .... a tougher draw or an unfortunate injury could leave them a loss or two behind 2021 ....

It's certainly not but by the same token you need a reason to assume they won't progress. Significant injures is generally an anomaly. By and large it's reasonable to assume that a young team will improve and while Zerrett, Parish and Stringer are important players I don't think their success depends on them, though Stringer would be tough to replace.

Draw is a meme. Crows, Giants, Cats, Dogs and Saints played Dees twice this year. Do you reckon any of them were complaining about that match up before the season started? Saints could end up top 4 next year and suddenly everyone matched up with them twice has a difficult draw despite it being projected to be easy.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It's certainly not but by the same token you need a reason to assume they won't progress. Significant injures is generally an anomaly. By and large it's reasonable to assume that a young team will improve and while Zerrett, Parish and Stringer are important players I don't think their success depends on them, though Stringer would be tough to replace.

Draw is a meme. Crows, Giants, Cats, Dogs and Saints played Dees twice this year. Do you reckon any of them were complaining about that match up before the season started? Saints could end up top 4 next year and suddenly everyone matched up with them twice has a difficult draw despite it being projected to be easy.
I’m not convinced a young team can be relied on to improve each year and it is not unusual for young layers to take a step backwards .... thus it would be no surprise for them to miss the 8 next year .... especially as saints, freo, tigers, Carlton ( lol) would all consider themselves a chance at the 8

I’m not convinced a young team can be relied on to improve each year and it is not unusual for young layers to take a step backwards .... thus it would be no surprise for them to miss the 8 next year .... especially as saints, freo, tigers, Carlton ( lol) would all consider themselves a chance at the 8

I'll agree it won't surprise if they don't make the 8. Virtually every year there's two new additions to the 8 and one new top 4, but I just don't seen any logical reason to assume Essendon don't improve on last year other than anomalies like injury.

Nah, I really like the way your young team played this year. Lot of upside on the list. Why would you regress?
They defeated 1 top 8 team for the year.

7 of their 11 wins were against the bottom 6.
They have a harder draw in 2022.

They defeated 1 top 8 team for the year.

lost to Sydney by 3 then 7, GWS by 2 and had a very impressive win against the Dogs. Got belted a few times as young teams do but I like the way they play.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Essendon defeated 1 top 8 team for the year.

They also got to play each of the bottom two teams twice. Plus Hawthorn twice, inside the first 14 rounds (when they were bottom 2). It doesn’t get much better than that.

Have what has been ranked as the 7th hardest draw for next year tho, so it’s almost certainly going to be significantly harder than their extremely easy one this year.

If it is, they could be just as “good” as they were this year and win just 9 games.

The odds of 11 wins getting you in the 8 again are very slim, and some years you need 13, so if they do indeed have the significantly harder draw they look like having, Essendon may need to be a 3, or even 4 win better quality side than they were this year, just to scrape into 8th place.

Last edited:

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They also got to play each of the bottom two teams twice. Plus Hawthorn twice, inside the first 14 rounds (when they were bottom 2). It doesn’t get much better than that.

Have what has been ranked as the 7th hardest draw for next year tho, so it’s almost certainly going to be significantly harder than their extremely easy one this year.

If it is, they could be just as “good” as they were this year and win just 9 games.

The odds of 11 wins getting you in the 8 again are very slim, and some years you need 13, so if they do indeed have the significantly harder draw they look like having, Essendon may need to be a 3, or even 4 win better quality side than they were this year, just to scrape into 8th place.
Funny about Hawthorn, since it really doesn't matter. We beat them Round 1 and almost the 2nd time. It was to be expected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reckon 11 wins and a good percentage or 12 wins will get you into the 8 this year.

Will be the most even season in history - all the lower sides from last season would expect to improve, as would the likes of Richmond, West Coast, Freo and St. Kilda, who all missed the top 8.

Nah, I really like the way your young team played this year. Lot of upside on the list. Why would you regress?
Young teams development and progress isn't always linear

But there is a lot of reason to be optimistic with them

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Reckon 11 wins and a good percentage or 12 wins will get you into the 8 this year.

Will be the most even season in history - all the lower sides from last season would expect to improve, as would the likes of Richmond, West Coast, Freo and St. Kilda, who all missed the top 8.
Can't see West Coast improving tbh

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2012
3rd spooky castle on left
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Steelers Perth Scorchers
Have done this up (quickly mind you) for my predicted ladder after H & A season.

Attachments

• 57004488-5AD8-4616-B1B7-3D22228A15D5.jpeg
    57004488-5AD8-4616-B1B7-3D22228A15D5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
Honestly just throwing darts at a wall
WLD%
1.Melbourne1750135.8%
2.Western Bulldogs1750129.6%
3.Sydney1750129.2%
4.Essendon1750128.7%
5.Brisbane Lions1750125.6%
6.Port Adelaide1660121.1%
7.Geelong1390107.3%
8.Fremantle12100107.6%
9.GWS12100104.8%
10.St Kilda1012098.5%
11.Richmond814087.6%
12.Gold Coast814086.5%
13.Carlton715089.2%
14.Adelaide616079.2%
15.North Melbourne616078.1%
16.West Coast616077.5%
17.Collingwood517079.4%
18.Hawthorn418073.9%

Have you seen their draw? Their double-ups are a dream from memory.

How much they play in Perth will obviously make a big difference.
Nah can't say I have taken much of a look at the draw

Maybe they won't regress but I can't see them climbing up the ladder either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back