Opinion 2022 Lions kit concept

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hey all,

Decided to slap a concept together for the Lions 2022.

Slight change to the home kits, also looking to use the Fitzroy colours as home vs old rivals and reintroduce the bears heritage gear as Q-clash specifics

Main home kit changes;
- Added gold striping
- added texture to yoke
- piping around collar and cuffs
- collar changed to overlap (similar to Castore concept)

2022_Lions.png

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey all,

Slight change to the home kits, also looking to use the Fitzroy colours as home vs old rivals and reintroduce the bears heritage gear as Q-clash specifics

Main home kit changes;
- Added gold striping
- added texture to yoke

View attachment 1246609
I like the idea of using a Bears guernsey for Pineapple Grapples (at least for home fixtures) and using blue shorts with the Fitzroy-esque look. Not really a fan of the home and Fitzroy-esque guernseys though. The lion is too small and the gold stripes don't do anything for me.

My favourite concept design is still this one by Fizzler, where they've essentially combined the home and Fitzroy-esque guernseys into a red-maroon home with blue shorts, with an inverse Bears for the away. I think the V guernsey is much more iconic than the yoke and triangle logo.

Brisbane.png

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I like the idea of using a Bears guernsey for Pineapple Grapples (at least for home fixtures) and using blue shorts with the Fitzroy-esque look. Not really a fan of the home and Fitzroy-esque guernseys though. The lion is too small and the gold stripes don't do anything for me.

My favourite concept design is still this one by Fizzler, where they've essentially combined the home and Fitzroy-esque guernseys into a red-maroon home with blue shorts, with an inverse Bears for the away. I think the V guernsey is much more iconic than the yoke and triangle logo.

View attachment 1246662
Yeah that's fair commentary. I went for a smaller lion to modernise it a bit and is a bit similar to the 2008 kit, the striping is quite common on other code football kits and makes us a bit more "European". The cerise kit was also used before the Bears relocated to the Gabba, hence the usage of their predominantly yellow and cerise kit only as a Carrara Bears callback in away games, and the V at the Gabba only.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The cerise kit was also used before the Bears relocated to the Gabba, hence the usage of their predominantly yellow and cerise kit only as a Carrara Bears callback in away games, and the V at the Gabba only.
I feel like that's giving too much importance to a part of the world that is no longer ours, when we could instead honour the place that is still ours.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Hey all,

Main home kit changes;
- Added gold striping
- added texture to yoke

View attachment 1246609

While I loved the Bears I don't want us playing in a Bears strip outside of a heritage type round. We are not the Bears anymore.
As for the regular jumper, as others have said, the gold lines also do nothing for me.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

View attachment 1246662

That Bears-style jumper is mint! I'd put a small Lion with "BBFFC" over the heart just to reiterate that its a Brisbane jumper though.

ETA: didn't see the watermark Lion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That Bears-style jumper is mint! I'd put a small Lion with "BBFFC" over the heart just to reiterate that its a Brisbane jumper though.

ETA: didn't see the watermark Lion.
It's an idea to make the lion more prominent than a watermark, I wonder how it'd look. Would have to be outlined though.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Needs more Maroon, on the neck and the side panels with maybe gold lining the panels.
Very rough edit/recolour but you get the general idea. I also changed the shorts to white since its a clash kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_093520_693.webp
    100.3 KB · Views: 84

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks much better, in fact I'm really starting to like that jumper, to the point that I'm disappointed that our jumper isn't that jumper😯
Yeah not a fan of our current white jumper. We've had a predominantly gold clash jumper before but It's weird that we've never had a predominantly blue clash jumper. Would look so much better playing against Gold Coast, Sydney, Giants away from home.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
While I loved the Bears I don't want us playing in a Bears strip outside of a heritage type round. We are not the Bears anymore.
As for the regular jumper, as others have said, the gold lines also do nothing for me.
While i get that, we already pay homage to the Lions of old with the away kit, this is way to honour the Bears of old the same way, but only in two games of the season (instead of the 12-odd we do wearing the Fitzroy colours). We could also remove the big terrible BB logo and put a Lion in it's place with the same cerise/gold colours, which i think would look great (see the reversible training kit released this year).

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 1246662
Rate both of these. In particular the dark. I don’t like to get too far away from the current strip so the dark really does it for me.

*sigh* Any chance we can be remotely happy with what we've got for more than one season?

Honestly, we fought so hard to get the real lion and proper style jumper back, the away games get the nod to Fitzroy, and the clash gets the nod to the Bears. What's not to like about any of that?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
*sigh* Any chance we can be remotely happy with what we've got for more than one season?

Honestly, we fought so hard to get the real lion and proper style jumper back, the away games get the nod to Fitzroy, and the clash gets the nod to the Bears. What's not to like about any of that?
Yes, how dare anyone think about possible improvements! We must all be perfectly satisfied with the status quo, and nobody is allowed to think differently!

RoyBoy17

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nothing should ever be permanent. Home kit would look better and bolder with a deeper blue for yoke, cuffs and collar. Just like the one posted above or the academy kit we had for a few years. As along as they stay true to our roots (i.e. keep the style and lion as is) then I think most would welcome a simple refresh to sharpen it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back