Opinion 2022 Lions kit concept

Remove this Banner Ad

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, how dare anyone think about possible improvements! We must all be perfectly satisfied with the status quo, and nobody is allowed to think differently!

Well, within reason.

1633323980548.png

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nothing should ever be permanent. Home kit would look better and bolder with a deeper blue for yoke, cuffs and collar. Just like the one posted above or the academy kit we had for a few years. As along as they stay true to our roots (i.e. keep the style and lion as is) then I think most would welcome a simple refresh to sharpen it up.
Maybe Purple Maroon instead of Red Maroon would look nicer

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
The only jumper that should be in our repertoire is the earlier Fitzroy maroon, navy, white. Replaces the red one. The other 2 are fine.

Robbojack

Rookie
Apr 10, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Are we due for a new clash Guernsey in 2022? From memory it’s a two year cycle with the current clash having been incepted in 2020.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only jumper that should be in our repertoire is the earlier Fitzroy maroon, navy, white. Replaces the red one. The other 2 are fine.
Would be perfect to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Lions 1922 flag. Our clash jumper needs an improvement though.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
*sigh* Any chance we can be remotely happy with what we've got for more than one season?

Honestly, we fought so hard to get the real lion and proper style jumper back, the away games get the nod to Fitzroy, and the clash gets the nod to the Bears. What's not to like about any of that?
Honestly the gold on white looks terribly average. I would prefer we went with a predominantly gold kit (similar to the reversible training kit) if there was to be a compromise (for the clash)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While i get that, we already pay homage to the Lions of old with the away kit, this is way to honour the Bears of old the same way, but only in two games of the season (instead of the 12-odd we do wearing the Fitzroy colours). We could also remove the big terrible BB logo and put a Lion in it's place with the same cerise/gold colours, which i think would look great (see the reversible training kit released this year).

We have been through this like 1000 times. We honour the Fitzroy heritage because that club is dead, it's fans had their heart ripped out and it's colours were relocated. The Bear was a mascot, not a football club and does not really need to be honoured in 'the same way'. The football club still exists and Brisbane fans have their local team. All for using the Bears colours but there is no real reason I can see in honouring the Bear.

I would be happy with the Bears colours because they are good, with the Lion though.

PS - I am pro merger and love the Brisbane Lions, the above is not a whinge - I just hate the notion the Bears should be equally mourned/honoured.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honestly the gold on white looks terribly average. I would prefer we went with a predominantly gold kit (similar to the reversible training kit) if there was to be a compromise (for the clash)

The white kit is horrid. I'd love to see the standard Lions done with the old Bears colours.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
We have been through this like 1000 times. We honour the Fitzroy heritage because that club is dead, it's fans had their heart ripped out and it's colours were relocated. The Bear was a mascot, not a football club and does not really need to be honoured in 'the same way'. The football club still exists and Brisbane fans have their local team. All for using the Bears colours but there is no real reason I can see in honouring the Bear.

I would be happy with the Bears colours because they are good, with the Lion though.

PS - I am pro merger and love the Brisbane Lions, the above is not a whinge - I just hate the notion the Bears should be equally mourned/honoured.
Yeah but you also need to look at it from the other perspective. My first AFL I ever saw as a kid was with the Bears and I met a few of them. That identity is gone, not the club itself. It sucks that both identities (Roys and Bears) can't be honoured, considering the short time they had and the adversity the brand itself overcame. Is having a single kit in maybe 2 games a year such a horrible thing?

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah but you also need to look at it from the other perspective. My first AFL I ever saw as a kid was with the Bears and I met a few of them. That identity is gone, not the club itself. It sucks that both identities (Roys and Bears) can't be honoured, considering the short time they had and the adversity the brand itself overcame. Is having a single kit in maybe 2 games a year such a horrible thing?

Narr I would be fine with that. I just hate the notion that it needs to be done 'in the same way' or 'because Fitzroy gets 12 games' - it's a fairly absurd and offensive comparison TBH. I just feel like, 'come on, you have your footy club in your home town each week, do you really also need to take the Lion off our top to further honour the Bear'. Seems a bit off to me, but again.. its more the notion that comes up a couple of times a year than anything, if it happened I probably wouldn't care. I wouldn't mind the Lion done in Bears colours mainly because it's an attractive colourway.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Narr I would be fine with that. I just hate the notion that it needs to be done 'in the same way' or 'because Fitzroy gets 12 games' - it's a fairly absurd and offensive comparison TBH. I just feel like, 'come on, you have your footy club in your home town each week, do you really also need to take the Lion off our top to further honour the Bear'. Seems a bit off to me, but again.. its more the notion that comes up a couple of times a year than anything, if it happened I probably wouldn't care. I wouldn't mind the Lion done in Bears colours mainly because it's an attractive colourway.

Who's saying that the Bears logo should be on our jumper?? Have I missed something?

On another note giving a nod to the Bears by using the colours on a Brisbane Lions design works for moi.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Yeah I appreciate that completely. Even if it wasn’t the bears logo, the cerise is pretty unique and would love to see it, and having the v as a kit is pretty epic, considered one of the best kits over on the graphic design forum too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All our jumpers should have the Lion prominently displayed on the chest, unless it's a special hall of fame jumper/ heritage jumper. First and foremost we are the Brisbane Lions, not the Brisbane Bears and not the Fitzroy Football Club. We should embrace that identity on all of our jumpers. Controversial opinion but ideally I wish the club would have Maroon, Blue & Gold on all 3 of our home & away guernseys.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
All our jumpers should have the Lion prominently displayed on the chest, unless it's a special hall of fame jumper/ heritage jumper. First and foremost we are the Brisbane Lions, not the Brisbane Bears and not the Fitzroy Football Club. We should embrace that identity on all of our jumpers. Controversial opinion but ideally I wish the club would have Maroon, Blue & Gold on all 3 of our home & away guernseys.
To be honest i love that we have a really cool kit and history we can lean on (the red, blue and gold). We're in a unique position where we have multiple branches of history we can look at and take inspiration from. The cerise is one colour that is so unique to us that has been forgotten, as is the V (which we earned one brownlow and played in finals in).
We should embrace all this amazing design heritage, it's so rich and varied.
I would actually also love to see a maroon, navy and white kit (similar to the one-off we wore against Richmond a few years ago) make a comeback, with a Lion or with the FFC monogram.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
To be honest i love that we have a really cool kit and history we can lean on (the red, blue and gold). We're in a unique position where we have multiple branches of history we can look at and take inspiration from. The cerise is one colour that is so unique to us that has been forgotten, as is the V (which we earned one brownlow and played in finals in).
We should embrace all this amazing design heritage, it's so rich and varied.
I would actually also love to see a maroon, navy and white kit (similar to the one-off we wore against Richmond a few years ago) make a comeback, with a Lion or with the FFC monogram.

Maroon, navy, and white with the Lion would be fantastic. I was a Bears fan and as such do not buy Fitzroy themed merch (and by that I mean anything that is very specifically Fitzroy, with the "FFC" monogram only on it or with the away colours, ie, the red. But the older 'Roy Maroon is very appealing. All those colours together look AMAZING. If the club was to release such a jumper I'd be on that like ants on sugar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back