News Lions kits and supporter gear discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
It's that time of year Lions fans, I wasn't sure if this had been shared here already but it always helps to spread some guernsey love :)

New kits incoming!

Major changes
- BBFFC has moved to below jock tag, Hyundai has taken its place (sadly)
- Larger jock tag
- Monogram seemingly removed
- New Classic logo

1638074836707.png
1638075039745.png

1638074912937.png

1638074930384.png

Annoyingly the white thing is still around, but we also get a reversible training kit!

1638074968559.png

1638074982868.png

And now, some new merch (get hyped, I expect some more pieces this year).

1638075095911.png

1638075102856.png

1638075108952.png

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From what I’ve seen the merchandise range so far this season is a little off, can’t quite put my finger on exactly why - perhaps just a bit dated looking? Not sure how much time and effort goes into it all but I suppose you’re bound by the manufacturer somewhat.

the exception though are those retro shirts..

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The lion remains way too big and low. Just makes the guernsey look Best & Less-quality. And full credit to XL for sticking with us as a major sponsor, but I hate their logo - looks awful on our strip.

Love the retros. That FFC monogram is about where our lion should be sitting.

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For those of you saying that these kits look a little 'off', I wholeheartedly agree. Overall, I have been extremely disappointed with the Classic efforts.

I believe one of the problems is the colours. I know this may seem 'nerdy' or insignificant, however, if you isolate the colours and just look at them side-by-side compared to our jerseys during the premiership era, the differences are striking.

If we have a look on the left, the Classic range just looks incorrect. The maroon is significantly lighter, and more pinkish. The blue is less rich. The biggest change is our gold, which is almost a lemon colour currently. The colours on the right, taken from a 2003 jersey are much more cohesive, richer, and on point with the Brisbane Lions' traditional colour scheme.

Richmond had a similar issue with BLK, with their yellow looking more like a mustard, and their black looking more charcoal.

This paired with often wrinkled, thin-looking, poorly stitched material make us look small time. This is such a shame, especially if we thought our recent on-field success would allow us some quality producers.

I've often heard the "shup up, a jersey is a jersey" argument, but these things matter.

Screenshot 2021-11-29 132615.png

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For those of you saying that these kits look a little 'off', I wholeheartedly agree. Overall, I have been extremely disappointed with the Classic efforts.

I believe one of the problems is the colours. I know this may seem 'nerdy' or insignificant, however, if you isolate the colours and just look at them side-by-side compared to our jerseys during the premiership era, the differences are striking.

If we have a look on the left, the Classic range just looks incorrect. The maroon is significantly lighter, and more pinkish. The blue is less rich. The biggest change is our gold, which is almost a lemon colour currently. The colours on the right, taken from a 2003 jersey are much more cohesive, richer, and on point with the Brisbane Lions' traditional colour scheme.

Richmond had a similar issue with BLK, with their yellow looking more like a mustard, and their black looking more charcoal.

This paired with often wrinkled, thin-looking, poorly stitched material make us look small time. This is such a shame, especially if we thought our recent on-field success would allow us some quality producers.

I've often heard the "shup up, a jersey is a jersey" argument, but these things matter.

View attachment 1289340
I agree and I don’t think it’s an insignificant issue at all.

I think it needs a lot of work. There’s probably many better examples to choose but this is just a snapshot of how much better our strip used to look:

1638158211639.jpeg

1638158145970.jpeg

The colours are all wrong - especially the gold. It does look lemon.

The yoke extends too far down and as I said, the lion is just far too big and positioned too low.

I’m annoyed we have another year of the current version.

Nah it's a good catch and explains a fair bit of my "huh?" reaction. The difference is definitely striking.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken

View attachment 1289340
I'm not 100% sure how accurate this is, the maroon looks darker in most shots, but the gold definitely looks more pale nowadays.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 1289340
I prefer the current maroon. Really I'd like us to have the red-maroon the Bears had on the V guernsey.

Some of it will depend on the light source ie. sun vs artificial light. But there has definitely been a lightening over the years and I'd be interested to know the reason why. And why is the yellow basically gold on the Bears-inspired training top but not on the guernsey? So yeah, I'm with Warwick - give me the premiership guernsey - rich colours, smaller/higher lion. It's been ages since I got my internet-based training accreditation on colour in sports psychology, but I'd have thought that rich bold colours are better for that kind of thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Some of it will depend on the light source ie. sun vs artificial light. But there has definitely been a lightening over the years and I'd be interested to know the reason why. And why is the yellow basically gold on the Bears-inspired training top but not on the guernsey? So yeah, I'm with Warwick - give me the premiership guernsey - rich colours, smaller/higher lion. It's been ages since I got my internet-based training accreditation on colour in sports psychology, but I'd have thought that rich bold colours are better for that kind of thing.
I actually have an 01 jersey (didn't realise it was an 01 jersey until i researched) and I would love to get a current one just to compare the colours. The 01 is still vibrant as ever so I think the colours would be close to the release time.

Also, i really rate this new training kit, wouldn't be bad as an alt home strip (on the normal jersey template of course).

1638252448263.png
1638252536816.png

Last edited:

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The "Message from the Chairman" email that went around this morning confirms that Youi are replacing Neds as the front-of-guernsey sponsor.

Youi have joined XL Express as a Major Partner of the Club. Youi will replace Neds on the playing jumper, however Neds will remain as a Major Support Partner of the Club. Neds became a Major Partner of the Club at a time when an existing Major Partner was unable to honour their obligations and we thank Neds for all the support they provided us. I encourage all of you to support our partner’s businesses. And I thank Youi for increasing their support of the Club by moving from Coaches Partner to Major Partner.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't see New Balance listed on the Lions site so maybe an announcement soon. Classic still listed
You would not want to announce a new sponsor shortly after announcing another

I notice a sponsor called New Era. They could have been a sponsor for while i just did not know the brand name
Checked the Lions merchandise site and New Era caps are sold.
For those that buy headgear a link to New Era at the Brisbane Lions Club section. Beanies half price at $20. Also link to Lions for a bit of a comparison
Not a great range from both online. Maybe the Lions store stocks more of a variety for those living in Brisbane
Have no idea about delivery costs

I can't see New Balance listed on the Lions site so maybe an announcement soon. Classic still listed

I notice a sponsor called New Era. They could have been a sponsor for while i just did not know the brand name
For those that buy headgear a link to New Era at the Brisbane Lions Club section. Beanies half price at $20. Also link to Lions for a bit of a comparison
Not a great range from both online. Maybe the Lions store stocks more of a variety for those living in Brisbane

Pretty sure they were to be onboard for the 2023 season.
So it is unlikely to be announced now while Classic are still the sponsor for the upcoming year.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Pardon the intrusion gang -

I'm not sure if it's been announced by the club or not yet, but you're moving to New Balance as your official on-field apparel partner in 2023.
Can you confirm a source for this?

New Era have been doing our caps the last few years. They have down all the "snapback" styles designed by players, including the current one, as well as the previous Bears and 'Roys caps. They're not a new addition :)

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's that time of year Lions fans, I wasn't sure if this had been shared here already but it always helps to spread some guernsey love :)

New kits incoming!

Major changes
- Larger jock tag
- New Classic logo

View attachment 1288806View attachment 1288816
View attachment 1288808
View attachment 1288810

Annoyingly the white thing is still around, but we also get a reversible training kit!

View attachment 1288813
View attachment 1288814

View attachment 1288817
View attachment 1288818
View attachment 1288819

Is it me or does the yellow on the lion not match the trim around the collar. *home kit*

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Is it me or does the yellow on the lion not match the trim around the collar. *home kit*
It could be the lighting on the sublimated lion. But there have been a few instances of our kit colours not matching. The premiership years kits notably had different coloured numbers to the other parts of the kits

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

New kits incoming!

Major changes
- Larger jock tag
- New Classic logo

View attachment 1288806View attachment 1288816
View attachment 1288808
View attachment 1288810

View attachment 1288813
View attachment 1288814

View attachment 1288817
View attachment 1288818
View attachment 1288819

The AFL store also have the Maroon version of the Bears retro. Is the club shop getting same? Or are we going to have to send our money to the AFL store?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back