2nds 2022 Lions Reserves and VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not on the updated injury list either. Must have been precautionary.
Either way he’s not going that well.Be interesting to see if he actually ever gets back in with the likes of Berry and the Robbos pushing up…fallen back in the queue a bit

Either way he’s not going that well.Be interesting to see if he actually ever gets back in with the likes of Berry and the Robbos pushing up…fallen back in the queue a bit
The issue with Cocky for mine is that he plays a similar role in our team to Rayner. With both playing earlier in the season, and neither quite delivering on that big bodied hybrid forward/ mid role, we were just a little unbalanced. We had two resting mid types doing more of the resting than midfielding, neither of which are overly capable of being a high pressure forward. We decided to stick with Rayner and bring in a smaller option to play a more permanent pressure forward role (Lohman). Since then Zorko has slotted in as the guy who genuinely spends a good chunk in the middle with Rayner having to play more as a permanent forward due to in game injuries of Daniher and McStay.

I think there is a pathway back into the seniors for Cocky, but it really comes on the back of him lifting his midfield ability, in order for his selection to be forced (outstanding performance) rather than as an injury replacement. With guys like Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy and Bailey we don't really need another attacking option, especially not one who isn't able to provide high level pressure.

The issue with Cocky for mine is that he plays a similar role in our team to Rayner. With both playing earlier in the season, and neither quite delivering on that big bodied hybrid forward/ mid role, we were just a little unbalanced. We had two resting mid types doing more of the resting than midfielding, neither of which are overly capable of being a high pressure forward. We decided to stick with Rayner and bring in a smaller option to play a more permanent pressure forward role (Lohman). Since then Zorko has slotted in as the guy who genuinely spends a good chunk in the middle with Rayner having to play more as a permanent forward due to in game injuries of Daniher and McStay.

I think there is a pathway back into the seniors for Cocky, but it really comes on the back of him lifting his midfield ability, in order for his selection to be forced (outstanding performance) rather than as an injury replacement. With guys like Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy and Bailey we don't really need another attacking option, especially not one who isn't able to provide high level pressure.
I agree, Cocky is super strong in the contest and tackling. To me he's a bit like a more mobile Lyons. He needs to work on his vision, decision making and in close disposal. He's got the burst speed, strength to stand in the tackle and to shake off tackles. lets face it we've got plenty of pressure forwards.

I think that is a great comment and reckon you are spot on :thumbsu:
I think it was the plan to have 2 big bodied mid/fwds in there like Petracca and Oliver but both of them havent been as good as we had hoped. Both have reasons: Rayner coming back from an ACL, Cocky still maybe getting some fitness back after having most of his career on the sidelines. However, reckon we picked Rayner because of his positive cultural influence and how his ability could increase quickly with game time. Unfortunately, Cocky hasn't improved enough in the game time that he had for Fagan to justify having, as you say, an overly attacking but lacking high level pressure player in the team. Hopefully Cocky can stay in the midfield at VFL for a little while and develop some more ball winning ability there, because he makes things happen we he has the ball. Lohman was looking suprisingly great in that role, he was very quick, had a high leap, and was a great pressure player with multiple repeat efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Dev Robertson anywhere near getting a game? I really like him and was expecting he might get more opportunity this year.

Is Dev Robertson anywhere near getting a game? I really like him and was expecting he might get more opportunity this year.
I like him a T Berry as well. Add Matho, Cocky and M Robbo seem above VFL standard
Although would Dev got games last year if J Berry was not injured.
Same as Matho with Neale out.

All they can do is keep putting in good games and hope for form or injury for reward.

Surprised Prior is being picked above Dev.

Prior has shown flexibility, he's shaping up to be a good utility who can play forward, back, wing etc.

Prior could also be closer to re-signing, just taking a guess here.

Prior has shown flexibility, he's shaping up to be a good utility who can play forward, back, wing etc.

Prior could also be closer to re-signing, just taking a guess here.
He seems to work very hard on the wing too.
Can be deep in the forward line one minute and then deep in defence the next.
Similar to AhChee

Probably the criticism of Prior getting selected should be directed towards our gameplan or poor recruiting for our gameplan.

I see Priors selection as a weakness in our team. His selection in our midfield is a clear sign in the difference in quality in ours and some of the other midfields and the reason we struggle to match top teams in finals. If Prior is playing against teams like Melbourne, Freo, Bulldogs, Geelong, Saints, etc. you now we're taking a decent net loss in that position.

Hopefully Robbo can find form to give us 2-3 months of his 2019/20 form to finish off our season and his career strongly.

Probably the criticism of Prior getting selected should be directed towards our gameplan or poor recruiting for our gameplan.

I see Priors selection as a weakness in our team. His selection in our midfield is a clear sign in the difference in quality in ours and some of the other midfields and the reason we struggle to match top teams in finals. If Prior is playing against teams like Melbourne, Freo, Bulldogs, Geelong, Saints, etc. you now we're taking a decent net loss in that position.

Hopefully Robbo can find form to give us 2-3 months of his 2019/20 form to finish off our season and his career strongly.
I think it is more the game plan.
We tend not to use the fat side winger a lot which is why Mitch has struggled this year so far and last.
So I don’t really think any blame can go on Prior if it is purely disposals we are judging him on.
I think he is doing well to stay involved in the game which is something Robbo wasn’t doing earlier in the year.

I'm struggling with the argument of Prior selection = weakness.

Whenever he's gone forward, he has shown good nous for goal kicking. Plays in the wing too and I've seen him push back hard to help out the defense on more than one occasion. For a 3rd year player he's going pretty well and able to plug gaps in best 22 of top 4 team. Not bad at all.

I'm struggling with the argument of Prior selection = weakness.

Whenever he's gone forward, he has shown good nous for goal kicking. Plays in the wing too and I've seen him push back hard to help out the defense on more than one occasion. For a 3rd year player he's going pretty well and able to plug gaps in best 22 of top 4 team. Not bad at all.

If you have to clarify the statement with this then it's probably an issue. We're pushing for a premiership. We can't afford to set a low bar because someone is young ie. pushed back to help the defence more than once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back