2nds 2022 Lions Reserves and VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to clarify the statement with this then it's probably an issue. We're pushing for a premiership. We can't afford to set a low bar because someone is young ie. pushed back to help the defence more than once

I'll remove Prior from the table, out of out list whom do you think is best suited to plug that utility gap? He was medi-sub previously due to his flexibility and play multiple roles. If Robinson comes back in, he might end up being medi-sub again. I don't get the "we are pushing for premiership so can't afford to set a low bar" argument.

Melbourne did something similar last year, James Jordan was consistently their medi-sub and now he's found a spot in their defensive 50 as a role player. He's pretty versatile, a bigger body who can go through the middle even. They've now added Bedford who brings a different mix with his pace. All are fairly young and they still get ongoing opportunities to play the role, know the system and contribute.

Prior is doing the same for us and doing a fine job in my opinion.

I'll remove Prior from the table, out of out list whom do you think is best suited to plug that utility gap? He was medi-sub previously due to his flexibility and play multiple roles. If Robinson comes back in, he might end up being medi-sub again. I don't get the "we are pushing for premiership so can't afford to set a low bar" argument.

Melbourne did something similar last year, James Jordan was consistently their medi-sub and now he's found a spot in their defensive 50 as a role player. He's pretty versatile, a bigger body who can go through the middle even. They've now added Bedford who brings a different mix with his pace. All are fairly young and they still get ongoing opportunities to play the role, know the system and contribute.

Prior is doing the same for us and doing a fine job in my opinion.

My answer to that was in my previous post. Not criticizing his selection as he's probably not far off Robbos performance this year and obviously a lot younger.

But if we're set on using the wing like we are we needed to recruit for it and not end up playing a D grade wing when we have B grade on ballers available. Or change the gameplan to suit our list

We concede too many inside 50s which is masked by our forward efficiency and defensive strength. We lost inside 50s against Port, Essendon, Geelong (by a long way), Collingwood and Gold Coast. The midfield doesn't win the territory battle enough because it's lacking depth

We're setting the bar low if he's just covering ground. He isn't intercepting, he isn't kicking goals, he isn't offering run and carry, he isn't shutting down opponents, he isn't moving the ball through the corridor, he isn't linking up the play, he doesn't use his bigger body

Melbourne has had to cover for more injures and HS protocols leading to those guys getting a game.

I think it is more the game plan.
We tend not to use the fat side winger a lot which is why Mitch has struggled this year so far and last.
So I don’t really think any blame can go on Prior if it is purely disposals we are judging him on.
I think he is doing well to stay involved in the game which is something Robbo wasn’t doing earlier in the year.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the "fat side" wing?

Excuse my ignorance but what is the "fat side" wing?
The open side.
We tend to generally play down the wing quite a bit so you have a fat and a skinny side of the ground from stoppage.
When it was Clugga and Robbo as the wings, Clugga would play the skinny side and Robbo the fat side.
The way we play we tend not to use the open side too much where there is generally much more space.

My answer to that was in my previous post. Not criticizing his selection as he's probably not far off Robbos performance this year and obviously a lot younger.

But if we're set on using the wing like we are we needed to recruit for it and not end up playing a D grade wing when we have B grade on ballers available. Or change the gameplan to suit our list

We concede too many inside 50s which is masked by our forward efficiency and defensive strength. We lost inside 50s against Port, Essendon, Geelong (by a long way), Collingwood and Gold Coast. The midfield doesn't win the territory battle enough because it's lacking depth

We're setting the bar low if he's just covering ground. He isn't intercepting, he isn't kicking goals, he isn't offering run and carry, he isn't shutting down opponents, he isn't moving the ball through the corridor, he isn't linking up the play, he doesn't use his bigger body

Melbourne has had to cover for more injures and HS protocols leading to those guys getting a game.
Someone has to play the fat side wing. It’s largely a thankless role, from what Robbo has said, where more often than not, you’re not out there to provide an alternative option, you’re out there as a decoy most of the time and to draw an opposition player away from the ball.

100% Prior is offering run and carry when he is fed the ball, as anyone who’s actually watched the game will have seen.

100% he shutting down his opponent, as that’s largely his role out there.

100% he’s moving the ball in to the corridor when the opportunity and options available.

And 100% he’s linking the play when he’s used.

And on top of that, he’s getting back in defence to provide an extra there, and covering ground to stop teams switching out of their defensive 50.

If you’re not aware of any of this, you haven’t listened to Robbo explain the role in our system, and watched Prior play the role and appreciate what he’s doing.

Prior and Berry mostly play the fat side role, while McCluggage and Ah Chee mostly play the skinny side wing.

Someone has to play the fat side wing. It’s largely a thankless role, from what Robbo has said, where more often than not, you’re not out there to provide an alternative option, you’re out there as a decoy most of the time and to draw an opposition player away from the ball.

100% Prior is offering run and carry when he is fed the ball, as anyone who’s actually watched the game will have seen.

100% he shutting down his opponent, as that’s largely his role out there.

100% he’s moving the ball in to the corridor when the opportunity and options available.

And 100% he’s linking the play when he’s used.

And on top of that, he’s getting back in defence to provide an extra there, and covering ground to stop teams switching out of their defensive 50.

If you’re not aware of any of this, you haven’t listened to Robbo explain the role in our system, and watched Prior play the role and appreciate what he’s doing.

Prior and Berry mostly play the fat side role, while McCluggage and Ah Chee mostly play the skinny side wing.

Sounds like one of the best wings in the league.

I don't think it's nearly as simple as the last line. Clug has barely played wing this season and more recently it seems like Berry and Ah Chee are the starting wings and they rotate with Prior off the bench and given Berry was leading score assists it confirms this.

At the time of the article Clug and Robbo were both averaging over 20 touches a game. So getting a lot more involved than just being a decoy if you're playing well.

With the wings 80% of the time when Rich kicks out we go left of screen.
Either pocket then wing or straight to wing.
I think Prior been doing a good job.. Yes like Dev and T Berry and Sharp to get games..
Although honestly Prior can play tall for his size and more outside then Dev..

Sounds like one of the best wings in the league.

I don't think it's nearly as simple as the last line. Clug has barely played wing this season and more recently it seems like Berry and Ah Chee are the starting wings and they rotate with Prior off the bench and given Berry was leading score assists it confirms this.

At the time of the article Clug and Robbo were both averaging over 20 touches a game. So getting a lot more involved than just being a decoy if you're playing well.
At the Gabba, the majority of the play is down the Stanley st wing, and that’s where McCluggage used to play (you are right about McCluggage not playing much wing this year) and it’s the wing Ah Chee usually plays.

Just from my observation Berry and Prior mostly play the opposite wing, with both occasionally playing the skinny wing when Ah Chee isn’t.

I’m not sure how Berry leading score assists proves his wing role, as he was playing more inside in the early rounds, before hurting his shoulder, Robbo was still in the team, and he was leading the comp in assists then.

I think our wings have been operating reasonably effectively since Clug started playing more M/F and Ah Chee went to the wing. Prior has done a reasonable job but at this stage he's no star , that's to be expected . I don't think there's much between he and Robbo at this point. I'd prefer Robbo.

Do all the emergencies travel or is there a chance robbo will be playing twos tomorrow?
It depends on the health of the list. If there are players facing fitness tests all four will go but usually clubs only hold over one or two (including medi sub) but it also depends on the club and considering it is an interstate trip I would assume three emergencies won't play in the twos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBerry the only seniors emergency here. Bulk top-ups. Ground waterlogged. Could be a very ordinary affair. Blake Coleman captaining.

You would reckon the seagulls could cope with the wet.

Cox in number 8? called by commentator. No E Smith? Young Fletcher is playing but hard to pick him up. Might have been the player who pushed the open ent into the fence.
It’s a different Fletcher.

Jaspa is playing at 3pm in Melbourne with Ashcroft, against Geelong VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back