Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic win
lots of chatter on here over the last couple of months about what positions people should play.. Heeney stay forward, Lloyd to the wing, Campbell forward etc etc. There was some talk of the benefits of players staying in one position.
It seems the coaches and recruiters have had different plans for a few years now. The team seems to be made up of a few KPP's - ruck, 2 x tall forwards, fwd ruck, 2 x tall defenders. Most of the others are midfielders who can play inside / outside / fwd / back, or forwards and backs who can play in the midfield.
So much flexibility is hard to get my head around, thank goodness its Horse and co moving the pieces on game day. Nightmare for opposition matchups
When arguing for Heeney to move to the mids, someone posted 'what if Heeney gets 25 touches and 3 goals, as a midfielder'.. who ever wrote that, buy yourself a beer
When defenders kick goals you know you're on a winner. Campbell kicked a beautiful goal. He'll get plenty of opportunities further up the ground
Parker being forced forward due to his hammy really showed how good it is to have flexibility. Others moved inside and did their job well, and Parker kicked 5 to win the game

Hey lads quick question on Chad Warner? Is he injured as didn't play on the weekend but burnt it up in the pre season and at times last season.

Hey lads quick question on Chad Warner? Is he injured as didn't play on the weekend but burnt it up in the pre season and at times last season.
Had to isolate cause of COVID. Should be back next week

Fantastic win
lots of chatter on here over the last couple of months about what positions people should play.. Heeney stay forward, Lloyd to the wing, Campbell forward etc etc. There was some talk of the benefits of players staying in one position.
It seems the coaches and recruiters have had different plans for a few years now. The team seems to be made up of a few KPP's - ruck, 2 x tall forwards, fwd ruck, 2 x tall defenders. Most of the others are midfielders who can play inside / outside / fwd / back, or forwards and backs who can play in the midfield.
So much flexibility is hard to get my head around, thank goodness its Horse and co moving the pieces on game day. Nightmare for opposition matchups
When arguing for Heeney to move to the mids, someone posted 'what if Heeney gets 25 touches and 3 goals, as a midfielder'.. who ever wrote that, buy yourself a beer
When defenders kick goals you know you're on a winner. Campbell kicked a beautiful goal. He'll get plenty of opportunities further up the ground
Parker being forced forward due to his hammy really showed how good it is to have flexibility. Others moved inside and did their job well, and Parker kicked 5 to win the game
I think even Paddy McCartin mentioned in his interview this morning. Multiple players capable of moving through the field and playing multiple roles when required.

Although I think Heeney would be a deadset nightmare matchup up where ever he plays.

I think even Paddy McCartin mentioned in his interview this morning. Multiple players capable of moving through the field and playing multiple roles when required.

Although I think Heeney would be a deadset nightmare matchup up where ever he plays.

The Heeney & Parker combination inside 50 absolutely bamboozled the GWS defence. Up to that point they looked organised and were well on top of our forwards. Then we had those two guys in there and they were just mind-****ed. In focusing so much on Heeney, they let Parker off the chain. Then when they shifted their attention to Parker, they let Heeney get off the chain. We could've played another quarter and those two could've ended up with about 6-7 each.

GWS had no answers for them. How do you have an answer for two guys who are as good in the air as they are at ground level, are impossibly strong and hard to tackle, and can make goals happen out of nothing?

He did and my goodness he just came across as a happy young person!

There were plenty here arguing for Melican ahead of Paddy. Hopefully Saturday provided the basis of a rethink.

The Heeney & Parker combination inside 50 absolutely bamboozled the GWS defence. Up to that point they looked organised and were well on top of our forwards. Then we had those two guys in there and they were just mind-****ed. In focusing so much on Heeney, they let Parker off the chain. Then when they shifted their attention to Parker, they let Heeney get off the chain. We could've played another quarter and those two could've ended up with about 6-7 each.

GWS had no answers for them. How do you have an answer for two guys who are as good in the air as they are at ground level, are impossibly strong and hard to tackle, and can make goals happen out of nothing?
We all know how good a mark Heeney is but Parker is probably the best overhead mark for a small player in the league, that I can think of. He is a genuine one grab mark and has a decent leap on him. Most of his goals on the weekend were crumbing but, like Heeney, he's a difficult matchup because of his aerial prowess

We all know how good a mark Heeney is but Parker is probably the best overhead mark for a small player in the league, that I can think of. He is a genuine one grab mark and has a decent leap on him. Most of his goals on the weekend were crumbing but, like Heeney, he's a difficult matchup because of his aerial prowess
Swans faithful weren't even really surprised he kicked 5. We all know how good he is the forward 50 and when it comes to shots on goal he's very very good.

Do you reckon Horse is licking his lips at the prospect of Heeney, Parker AND Paps running between the midfield and forward!

ps.. liked the look of little Gus running around the goals on the weekend

Does anyone else find it interesting that we havnt drafted or traded a key/tall defender for 5 years (since Melican) and all while knowing Grundy was retiring.
Paddy - PSD - p1 key forward
Tommy - p33 key forward
Logan - p4 key forward
Blackey - p10 key forward
Amartey - Rookie fwd/ruck
McLean - Rookie fwd/ruck
Stretch - Rookie ruck
Ladhams - trade fwd/ruck

Our 3 tall defenders - Blakey, McCartin x 2 all started as well credentialed tall forwards.
But, not hard to see them forming the core of one of, if not, the best defences in the game

and...
has anyone noticed how many mids we have running around?
Cunningham, Lloyd, JMac - all outside mids, Campbell inside/outside/forward.
With the exception of Rampe, the Rucks and possibly Hayward,, everyone is either a tall forward or a midfielder.

hmmm..

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it interesting that we havnt drafted or traded a key/tall defender for 5 years (since Melican) and all while knowing Grundy was retiring.
Paddy - PSD - p1 key forward
Tommy - p33 key forward
Logan - p4 key forward
Blackey - p10 key forward
Amartey - Rookie fwd/ruck
McLean - Rookie fwd/ruck
Stretch - Rookie ruck
Ladhams - trade fwd/ruck

Our 3 tall defenders - Blakey, McCartin x 2 all started as well credentialed tall forwards.
But, not hard to see them forming the core of one of, if not, the best defences in the game

and...
has anyone noticed how many mids we have running around?
Cunningham, Lloyd, JMac - all outside mids, Campbell inside/outside/forward.
With the exception of Rampe, the Rucks and possibly Hayward,, everyone is either a tall forward or a midfielder.

hmmm..
True now but JMac was a flanker when drafted and played mostly there on his first NEAFL season. Also a deal taller than you might think at 188cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back