Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Players like Amartey, Ladhams, McLean, Reid, Heeney etc are all options to push up from F50 and give an outlet option on the wing, for kicks from D50. If that's what you mean, sure.

This is very different from playing regularly on a wing where you get touches by being the regular link.

You say he is capable of 'good numbers', but for this distribution role, none are more important than Kicking Efficiency, and Ladhams is poor at best (59% season average). On a wing you might also need to run and bounce, his career average for bounces is 0, so I'm not sure why we'd be playing him there.
Amartey 5.67% :(

Players like Amartey, Ladhams, McLean, Reid, Heeney etc are all options to push up from F50 and give an outlet option on the wing, for kicks from D50. If that's what you mean, sure.

This is very different from playing regularly on a wing where you get touches by being the regular link.

You say he is capable of 'good numbers', but for this distribution role, none are more important than Kicking Efficiency, and Ladhams is poor at best (59% season average). On a wing you might also need to run and bounce, his career average for bounces is 0, so I'm not sure why we'd be playing him there.
Fair point. I envisioned him playing a role similar to Blicavs, but Blicavs is a better mark and distributor. More of a defensive role if he was on a wing, getting back to help out the defence, and being able to link up with Blakey and McInerney so we wouldn't rely on him distributing the football.

He would obviously struggle against wingers like Langdon who are great at moving the football, but if he can improve his ability to take marks, he might be able to hurt them in different ways, while also providing extra assistance for our defence.

That would also rely forwards like Heeney and McDonald pushing up the ground to be outlet options, with the goal of isolating Buddy/McLean inside 50 with our smalls.

Fair point. I envisioned him playing a role similar to Blicavs, but Blicavs is a better mark and distributor. More of a defensive role if he was on a wing, getting back to help out the defence, and being able to link up with Blakey and McInerney so we wouldn't rely on him distributing the football.

He would obviously struggle against wingers like Langdon who are great at moving the football, but if he can improve his ability to take marks, he might be able to hurt them in different ways, while also providing extra assistance for our defence.

That would also rely forwards like Heeney and McDonald pushing up the ground to be outlet options, with the goal of isolating Buddy/McLean inside 50 with our smalls.
I feel like we'll just play wingers like Florent, JMac, Campbell, Gulden and then when we're trying to bring it out from D50 slowly, have one of Hickey, Ladhams, Heeney, Buddy push up to provide a contest/relief mark, and when they play McDonald, Amartey, McLean are other options.

Blicavs also from an elite running background.

Just play Ladhams or Amartey or whoever as fwd/backup ruck, with the push-up to the wing when needed. That's their roles. They aren't these tall super athletes who can do everything.

Based on what I saw in reserves, I'm not convinced that Paddy would be better than any of Fox, Melican or even keeping Brand. Yeah he looked a class above some of the time, but then Brand also looked a class above in most games. Same with Lewy Taylor and Clarke, but I'm certainly not advocating for them to come in. He's probably ahead of O'Connor and Gould, but again, that's not saying a lot at this point.
Paddy is a number 1 pick. Great hands, great footy brain, and great situational awareness like his brother. I'm sorry but the brothers together could be the equivalent of Melbourne's lever and May

Back at the SCG next year, imo getting Ladhams was even more important as he can hopefully be our genuine 2nd ruck/fwd. I'm hoping they give Amartey some time to develop in defence, see if he shows any potential. He could eventually play the Sam Reid swing type role. Mclean could also play a more important role as a FF at the SCG, especially if we can get some quick centre clearances.

Defence an area of concern but it feels like we've atleast ticked off one box by addressing our 2nd ruck issue & long term ruck issue. We don't need a gun KPD next year, just someone serviceable. Hope Mclean/Rampe/Reid...whoever can do the job.

Paddy is a number 1 pick. Great hands, great footy brain, and great situational awareness like his brother. I'm sorry but the brothers together could be the equivalent of Melbourne's lever and May
His lack of awareness is why his career is where it is atm , shocking awareness

he is slow af
Number 1 pick means nothing , so was watts

His lack of awareness is why his career is where it is atm , shocking awareness

he is slow af
Number 1 pick means nothing , so was watts
consistant concussions is why his career is where it is

With so many talls leaving over the next two years (I count 7 ! ), we'd be mad not to get him on the rookie list

I'm cool with picking up P. McCartin on the rookie list as let's face it, where else are we gonna get a mature KPD from for next year?
But would go into it with the strong likelihood that he won't work out. Up to him to change that.

I'm cool with picking up P. McCartin on the rookie list as let's face it, where else are we gonna get a mature KPD from for next year?
But would go into it with the strong likelihood that he won't work out. Up to him to change that.
This!
Everything to win and basically nothing to lose, surely a big, strong, former number one pick is worth the list spot more than a rookie from the state leagues.
It's all up to Paddy to prove he can play and has gotten over his concussion issues.

This!
Everything to win and basically nothing to lose, surely a big, strong, former number one pick is worth the list spot more than a rookie from the state leagues.
It's all up to Paddy to prove he can play and has gotten over his concussion issues.

and even though he had not played that many games this year the fact he did not get concussed once has to be a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This!
If we think we are a chance next year this is a no brainer. If not then ...............

and even though he had not played that many games this year the fact he did not get concussed once has to be a positive.
needs To avoid concussion altogether - both receiving them and handing them out. i think he’s worth trying out.

This!

With due respect Jewels means nothing. I was coaching Suburban Football against an opposition that has a Number 8 draft pick playing for them same age as McCartin. He was putrid.

McCartin as a Hail Mary option as a defender at the elite level is wishful thinking. On another note the hysteria over our weakness in that part of the ground is real knee jerk stuff. Where was Melbourne's defense 2 Years ago ? Who's to say how ours will look by 2023 when we could realistically be a genuine contender for the flag. Once again I am trusting the club to know where we are at and not piss up against the wall everything we have built in the last 4 years. We will be fine.

So Blakey or Campbell for Dawson role?

If you are looking for replicating the role of course it is Blakey. Height and overhead marking just for a start. Forget Campbell's kicking as a comparison to the Dawson role as a replacement, as Dawson's kicking although good was overrated in comparison to his flexibility and overhead strength.

With due respect Jewels means nothing. I was coaching Suburban Football against an opposition that has a Number 8 draft pick playing for them same age as McCartin. He was putrid.

McCartin as a Hail Mary option as a defender at the elite level is wishful thinking. On another note the hysteria over our weakness in that part of the ground is real knee jerk stuff. Where was Melbourne's defense 2 Years ago ? Who's to say how ours will look by 2023 when we could realistically be a genuine contender for the flag. Once again I am trusting the club to know where we are at and not piss up against the wall everything we have built in the last 4 years. We will be fine.
who do you coach and who was the pick 8?

Let blakey have atleast 1 season at hb. He finally found his spot and was playing good consistent footy. We're also quite undersized in defence so him coming in 3rd man in with spoils and marking also helps immensely.

I think the more important question is whether Jmac stays at HB or returns to the wing. I prefer him on the wing as he's also a goal scoring threat and has great speed but his pairing with blakey off hb during the end of the season was soo fun to watch too.

Let blakey have atleast 1 season at hb. He finally found his spot and was playing good consistent footy. We're also quite undersized in defence so him coming in 3rd man in with spoils and marking also helps immensely.

I think the more important question is whether Jmac stays at HB or returns to the wing. I prefer him on the wing as he's also a goal scoring threat and has great speed but his pairing with blakey off hb during the end of the season was soo fun to watch too.

Yep. We finally found a position that works for Blakey, lets not mess it up by trying to change it.

Horse played Jones, Mills, Dawson for extended periods at half back. Its part off his development plan for these midfielders.
Im pretty sure Blakey will stay there this year at least, more likely for 2 or 3 years, and maybe for the next 10?. Yep agree, his height and what he can contribute as the 3rd tall is really beneficial.
Where JMac plays is a bigger mystery? Ill guess half back with Blakey

Horse played Jones, Mills, Dawson for extended periods at half back. Its part off his development plan for these midfielders.
Im pretty sure Blakey will stay there this year at least, more likely for 2 or 3 years, and maybe for the next 10?. Yep agree, his height and what he can contribute as the 3rd tall is really beneficial.
Where JMac plays is a bigger mystery? Ill guess half back with Blakey

Prefer JMac on the wing. Think he is up for another stand out year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back