Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge one. But fact remains that Kennedy is in the 70's (and has for the past 4 seasons) for TOG not the 60's which is what is being made up by the person quoted.

He was definitely in the 60's in some matches (not all though obviously) and I would argue his time in ground in minutes has reduced over the years.

I still think we need Kennedy and his presence was badly missed in the finals. But if his forced out by younger players that's only a good thing

Is Dyl Stephens best 22 every week this year? I currently rate him and Campbell fairly similar with room for only one of them in our best team. Thoughts?

Reckon you've got that about right. Not sure they're going for the exact same spots but it wouldn't shock me if we read, "IN - Campbell, OUT - Stephens" and vice versa a few times this year.

Is Dyl Stephens best 22 every week this year? I currently rate him and Campbell fairly similar with room for only one of them in our best team. Thoughts?
Our team isn't that deep. They'll both play significant amount of games. A couple injuries will ruin our season

Such an interesting set of stats.

I think that tells us a lot about how horse is transitioning the midfield away from being over reliant on Kennedy/Parker who have been absolute stalwarts for a decade.

I reckon it would've happened last year if it weren't for the injuries to some of the younger mids.

Reckon you've got that about right. Not sure they're going for the exact same spots but it wouldn't shock me if we read, "IN - Campbell, OUT - Stephens" and vice versa a few times this year.
You would structure the team differently with one or the other if Horse persists in playing Campbell in defence and Stephens wing/inside/outside.
McInerney is the key piece in the puzzle whether he plays wing or HBF or rotates both.

Am not making it up. I recall a number of games where his tog was in the 60s. I suggest you do your own 'narrative'.

Your words were "As I have note elsewhere his tog was way down to the 60s in 2021", you didn't qualify it based on "a number" at all, you posted it to make it seem he was in the 60s for the whole season..

Still, two games all season below 70% is hardly "a number" of games. 69% TOG against Richmond in Round 3 and 63% TOG against Essendon in Round 20.

He had just as many games above 80% - 81% against Adelaide in Round 2 and 85% against GWS in Round 18 that using your logic his TOG was way up in the 80's because I recall a number of games where his tog was in the 80s.

Have your opinion on Kennedy for all I care but don't make things up.

You would structure the team differently with one or the other if Horse persists in playing Campbell in defence and Stephens wing/inside/outside.
McInerney is the key piece in the puzzle whether he plays wing or HBF or rotates both.

I just can't see where Campbell fits in if we're planning on rotating JPK through half back, Cunningham's our small defender, McInerney and Blakey will be spending time in defence.

The most frustrating part is Campbell has no issue finding the footy, which was actually one of the few question marks over him at the time of his drafting. Yet he's tucked away in the back pocket having minimal impact with his possessions. I was in favour of starting him at HB and maybe trying to develop him as a bit of a Sam Mitchell/Jayden Short type. But I just think we already have too many of those types already that it's not actually giving Campbell the chance to shine. End the experiment Horse, get him in the front half.

Your words were "As I have note elsewhere his tog was way down to the 60s in 2021", you didn't qualify it based on "a number" at all, you posted it to make it seem he was in the 60s for the whole season..

Still, two games all season below 70% is hardly "a number" of games. 69% TOG against Richmond in Round 3 and 63% TOG against Essendon in Round 20.

He had just as many games above 80% - 81% against Adelaide in Round 2 and 85% against GWS in Round 18 that using your logic his TOG was way up in the 80's because I recall a number of games where his tog was in the 80s.

Have your opinion on Kennedy for all I care but don't make things up.

and you obviously have your opinion.

He was definitely in the 60's in some matches (not all though obviously) and I would argue his time in ground in minutes has reduced over the years.

I still think we need Kennedy and his presence was badly missed in the finals. But if his forced out by younger players that's only a good thing

Two matches all season. Yes his overall TOG has been falling since 2018 either because of a reduced role or because there are limited rotations on the interchange which make getting him back on quicker harder to do under the interchange cap.

Of course, if he is forced out of the side it's a good thing, not disputing that at all. Clearly, the club is looking at ways to make themselves less reliant on him as a midfielder so he is not missed like what happened in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two matches all season. Yes his overall TOG has been falling since 2018 either because of a reduced role or because there are limited rotations on the interchange which make getting him back on quicker harder to do under the interchange cap.

Of course, if he is forced out of the side it's a good thing, not disputing that at all. Clearly, the club is looking at ways to make themselves less reliant on him as a midfielder so he is not missed like what happened in the finals.

Mills was certainly missed. Hewett stepped up and had a grand game in his last appearance for the Club.

If JPK transitions to the backline, I am wondering what sort of forwards he will defend.

I just can't see where Campbell fits in if we're planning on rotating JPK through half back, Cunningham's our small defender, McInerney and Blakey will be spending time in defence.

The most frustrating part is Campbell has no issue finding the footy, which was actually one of the few question marks over him at the time of his drafting. Yet he's tucked away in the back pocket having minimal impact with his possessions. I was in favour of starting him at HB and maybe trying to develop him as a bit of a Sam Mitchell/Jayden Short type. But I just think we already have too many of those types already that it's not actually giving Campbell the chance to shine. End the experiment Horse, get him in the front half.
I can understand why Horse might want him in the back half. We started last year with two cannons in defence (Campbell and Dawson) and later ended with none (Campbell injured and Dawson playing forward). His long accurate boot is an option, particularly off half back.
He could play a rotating role with McInerney like Dawson did 2nd half last year, giving more exit options.
Totally struggling to see how JPK fits outside the midfield.
But I don't see where Stephens fits differently to say Warner or Florent or maybe McInerney.
Tough call!

Our team isn't that deep. They'll both play significant amount of games. A couple injuries will ruin our season
I think we are much better equipped to cope with injuries this year. I suspect they have also been planning around possible Covid impacts. Apart from the first year players, everyone on the list could come in and play a decent role. Training for different roles has also increased to deal with the possibilty.

I can understand why Horse might want him in the back half. We started last year with two cannons in defence (Campbell and Dawson) and later ended with none (Campbell injured and Dawson playing forward). His long accurate boot is an option, particularly off half back.
He could play a rotating role with McInerney like Dawson did 2nd half last year, giving more exit options.
Totally struggling to see how JPK fits outside the midfield.
But I don't see where Stephens fits differently to say Warner or Florent or maybe McInerney.
Tough call!

I just don't know how often we are going to be seeing Campbell's cannons out of defence when we already have Lloyd, Blakey & McInerney who are such major parts in our rebounding. I always said that the most over-hyped thing about our team was Dawson's kicking from defence - in that it rarely happened, not that he wasn't capable - and I reckon Horse agreed. He switched Dawson and the Blakey/McInerney duo mid-season and we reaped the benefits of it. Dawson's game got better, that duo's game got better, the whole team's firepower returned. If anything, Dawson's absence in his ability to hit targets in the front half is what will be felt, and that's where Campbell would do the most damage, not trying to replicate what already didn't work that well for Dawson in deep defensive 50.

As for Stephens, I guess he might have an easier time fitting in if we are trying to create a deeper midfield mix. He's not trying to fit into a back six or seven that's already full like Campbell is, but rather a midfield mix that's looking like it will be 8-9 players deep (which I'm not a fan of, but I digress...)

Bont is by far a better player than petracca

Played a huge gf and had a good year and now everyone’s love Chid like most do when someone jumps up
I don't agree. Petracca is one of those rare talents that win you premierships. Bont went missing when it counted. Petracca stood up. Petracca, Oliver & Jackson. Super players. Bont is a good player simply because of his size. There are not too many other 196cm mids in the comp. He is a good player just not a premiership winner.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who gives a rat's bum. Let it go. All those figures are giving me headaches lol

Sent from my JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just don't know how often we are going to be seeing Campbell's cannons out of defence when we already have Lloyd, Blakey & McInerney who are such major parts in our rebounding. I always said that the most over-hyped thing about our team was Dawson's kicking from defence - in that it rarely happened, not that he wasn't capable - and I reckon Horse agreed. He switched Dawson and the Blakey/McInerney duo mid-season and we reaped the benefits of it. Dawson's game got better, that duo's game got better, the whole team's firepower returned. If anything, Dawson's absence in his ability to hit targets in the front half is what will be felt, and that's where Campbell would do the most damage, not trying to replicate what already didn't work that well for Dawson in deep defensive 50.

As for Stephens, I guess he might have an easier time fitting in if we are trying to create a deeper midfield mix. He's not trying to fit into a back six or seven that's already full like Campbell is, but rather a midfield mix that's looking like it will be 8-9 players deep (which I'm not a fan of, but I digress...)
Stephen’s looked fantastic against North on the wing, utilising his run, carry and left foot.

I would be surprised if Stephen’s and McInerney are not starting on the wing for the first bounce Round 1.

Blakey has been played mainly half back (at least 90%) to McInerney’s majority on the wing with some half back.

Stephen’s looks ready to explode, just needs a good run of games, consistency and to be backed in by coaches and support.

Stephen’s looked fantastic against North on the wing, utilising his run, carry and left foot.

I would be surprised if Stephen’s and McInerney are not starting on the wing for the first bounce Round 1.

Blakey has been played mainly half back (at least 90%) to McInerney’s majority on the wing with some half back.

Stephen’s looks ready to explode, just needs a good run of games, consistency and to be backed in by coaches and support.

You might be right. I also think there's a possibily our round 1 wing combo may be Florent and Stephens, with McInerney at half back. Worth remembering that in the last AAMI match, Parker only had 12 CBAs (not much by his standard), Heeney played predominantly forward, and Mills played only a half. Once those guys are in the guts more, and I expect they will be, that will push others out to the wing rotations, and McInerney will be used at half back (in the current game, there is really not much difference between half back and wing, other than where they start when the ball is bounced.)

We have got more mids than we know what to do with, so I could see the ones who are able to play in other positions being used a lot in those positions to create opportunities for others.

Been thinking about our depth and and agree with you that some injuries and loss of form from some top 22 players might have us in a spot of bother. However, I'm ok with our key (tall) position depth, but feel that proportionally we don't have a great amount of tried and tested depth in non key positions. If Papley had've been fit for round one, a feasible team would have been:

Rampe - Paddy McC - Harry C
Lloyd - Tom McC - Blakey
Florent - Mills - McInerney
Heeney - Buddy - Gulden
Wicks - Logan Mc - Papley
Hickey - Parker - Warner
I/C - McLean - Kennedy - Campbell - Rowbottom

For key spots, there is Melican, Reid, Ladhams, Amartey to call upon. Four players who have, to varying degrees and for varying amounts of time, shown enough to fill five, possibly six spots of 18 on the ground. Pretty happy with that. For mine, Sinkers time in the seniors has passed him by, McAndrew still learning the game and Naismith out for the season.

For non key positions, among players who have been exposed to AFL level, I'd only be confident in Hayward, Fox, Stephens and to a lesser degree O'Riordan to fill one of the other 12 or 13 spots of 18 on the ground. So that's our problem area as I see it.

Absolute last chance saloon for Bell and Ronke this season and they are a way down my pecking order. I can't see either of Clarke, Taylor playing a seniors game.

Of those to debut, Sheather has impressed and hopefully he keeps improving and can demand a game in seniors if needed. Gould and O'Connor from all reports don't inspire me with any confidence. Of the rookies hopefully Roberts and Sheldrick are the two who seem closer to being ready for senior football and can start the season well in the VFL. Was a good sign for Roberts that was included in the 24 that played North. Corey Warner and Rankin might be a way off having an impact just yet.

All in all, here's hoping for a relatively healthy list for the season and a couple of rookies to come out of the gate firing. We might need them.

Last edited:

If we go by his preseason he will be.

Also don't believe him and Campbell are fighting for the same spot currently.

You might be right. I also think there's a possibily our round 1 wing combo may be Florent and Stephens, with McInerney at half back. Worth remembering that in the last AAMI match, Parker only had 12 CBAs (not much by his standard), Heeney played predominantly forward, and Mills played only a half. Once those guys are in the guts more, and I expect they will be, that will push others out to the wing rotations, and McInerney will be used at half back (in the current game, there is really not much difference between half back and wing, other than where they start when the ball is bounced.)

We have got more mids than we know what to do with, so I could see the ones who are able to play in other positions being used a lot in those positions to create opportunities for others.
Yep fair call on half back and wing, much of a muchness these days.

Although hope Heeney spends more time forward, we will need his skills and smarts especially with no Papley for start of the year.

The good news is that I think we are well stocked for midfielders. McInerney will hopefully be the best replacement for Dawson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back