Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are much better equipped to cope with injuries this year. I suspect they have also been planning around possible Covid impacts. Apart from the first year players, everyone on the list could come in and play a decent role. Training for different roles has also increased to deal with the possibilty.
Spot on the money, this would be why we're trailing plenty of players in a few positions. In the end it doesn't really matter though, our 24-30th best players are bottom 8 quality. We can only move the deck chairs so much

I feel like there hasn't been a lot of love for Hayward and Wicks. Not every forward needs to be competing for the Coleman to play a role. Those two players were top 10 in the league for tackles inside 50 last season.

That pressure provides more opportunities for the gun players to get another shot at goal.

It also slows down the opposition coming out of defense so give the team more time to rest and get set up defensively.

Lastly it provokes mistakes from the defenders who know that a tough tackling player is coming after them and won't give them an easy out.

Without role players like that the rest of the team doesn't shine so bright.
I'm not saying they are the best forward in the league but they do play a vital role.

I feel like there hasn't been a lot of love for Hayward and Wicks. Not every forward needs to be competing for the Coleman to play a role. Those two players were top 10 in the league for tackles inside 50 last season.

That pressure provides more opportunities for the gun players to get another shot at goal.

It also slows down the opposition coming out of defense so give the team more time to rest and get set up defensively.

Lastly it provokes mistakes from the defenders who know that a tough tackling player is coming after them and won't give them an easy out.

I'm not saying they are the best forward in the league but they do play a vital role.
According to Footywire 2021 inside 50 tackles:
#6 Hayward
#9 Bell
#18 Wicks
#21 Franklin
Your point about the value of forward 50 pressure acts and tackles is 100% valid.

#6 Hayward
#9 Bell
#18 Wicks
#21 Franklin
Your point about the value of forward 50 pressure acts and tackles is 100% valid.
I don’t quite agree with this analysis.

If pressure and tackles are all that matters, you might as well stick Ryan Clarke in the forward 50.

Forwards need to kick goals & it’s hard to do that if you’re not finding the footy.

Completely agree. I've spent most of the summer arguing the merits of Wicks' place in the team for the reasons you've stated. (Hayward I'm not as sold on.)

However both Hayward & Wicks looked a little lost in the pre-season games. They weren't quite following the play to even have an impact off the ball which they're usually very good at. Can hardly hang them for the first practice match as nearly everyone looked off their game, and even the AAMI match I don't think anyone's suggesting they're not contributors. But everyone did step up their performances somewhat in what was the final hit-out before round 1. Those two didn't, so they've put themselves in the firing line a little in terms of selection. That said, with Papley missing however many games, you would think they both survive the axe for the time being.

(And I am saying all of the above as a big fan of Wicks.)

#6 Hayward
#9 Bell
#18 Wicks
#21 Franklin

This is what I was going off.

I don’t quite agree with this analysis.

If pressure and tackles are all that matters, you might as well stick Ryan Clarke in the forward 50.

Forwards need to kick goals & it’s hard to do that if you’re not finding the footy.
Whilst yes on a basic level you need to be able to kick goals, you also need to be able to play your role. In much the same way as a rebounding defender is there for attack and defense, a pressure forward plays the same role but at the other end.
Completely agree. I've spent most of the summer arguing the merits of Wicks' place in the team for the reasons you've stated. (Hayward I'm not as sold on.)

However both Hayward & Wicks looked a little lost in the pre-season games. They weren't quite following the play to even have an impact off the ball which they're usually very good at. Can hardly hang them for the first practice match as nearly everyone looked off their game, and even the AAMI match I don't think anyone's suggesting they're not contributors. But everyone did step up their performances somewhat in what was the final hit-out before round 1. Those two didn't, so they've put themselves in the firing line a little in terms of selection. That said, with Papley missing however many games, you would think they both survive the axe for the time being.

(And I am saying all of the above as a big fan of Wicks.)
It's so hard to tell what's going on at the start of the season with the preseason games so experimental. Players get tried in all sorts of positions and sometimes just get asked to play a role that can show the coaching staff something they are looking for.
If you know a player can bring the effort then you might be inclined to not be concerned about the lack of effort if they are trying hard to work on another skill that is difficult for them.

#6 Hayward
#9 Bell
#18 Wicks
#21 Franklin
Hayward just didn't look interested in the 2 preseason matches. I'm not basing his performances off of his goals. I don't think anyone is discounting the value he brings to the team - especially off of last seasons form - but based off of this years he doesn't look engaged.

This is what I was going off.

Whilst yes on a basic level you need to be able to kick goals, you also need to be able to play your role. In much the same way as a rebounding defender is there for attack and defense, a pressure forward plays the same role but at the other end.

It's so hard to tell what's going on at the start of the season with the preseason games so experimental. Players get tried in all sorts of positions and sometimes just get asked to play a role that can show the coaching staff something they are looking for.
If you know a player can bring the effort then you might be inclined to not be concerned about the lack of effort if they are trying hard to work on another skill that is difficult for them.
Interesting that both tables we used came from the same source! I think perhaps yours was later and more accurate.

Hayward just didn't look interested in the 2 preseason matches. I'm not basing his performances off of his goals. I don't think anyone is discounting the value he brings to the team - especially off of last seasons form - but based off of this years he doesn't look engaged.
I often wonder about preseason games that if you are playing at 70% intensity if you are more likely to get injured than 100%? I've heard that might be the case, if not it could be argued that he was trying to just get a run in without the injury perhaps? Or if he could be carrying a slight injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youngest player to 50 goals since Buddy

He is a quality mid-forward

Yep but not an elite one and I'm not a massive fan of mid forwards so unless they're elite (like a Heeney/Greene etc) then I don't have much time for them. Just my opinion.

Yep but not an elite one and I'm not a massive fan of mid forwards so unless they're elite (like a Heeney/Greene etc) then I don't have much time for them. Just my opinion.
What would your ideal forward 7 (main 6 + 1 on the bench) be?

What would your ideal forward 7 (main 6 + 1 on the bench) be?

Buddy, Heeney, Papley, McDonald, Ladhams, Gulden and Wicks.

But since I know they're trying to shift Heeney and to a lesser extent Gulden into the mids, I have Hayward in there. But his selection doesn't excite me or inspire any confidence whatsoever.

Buddy, Heeney, Papley, McDonald, Ladhams, Gulden and Wicks.

But since I know they're trying to shift Heeney and to a lesser extent Gulden into the mids, I have Hayward in there. But his selection doesn't excite me or inspire any confidence whatsoever.
If everyone is in top form you can actually afford to have Hayward in the team using a triple rotation. I think this is the typle od thing the coaches are working towards. I've put up a talls' rotation before. This a little different to make the maths easier. Figures are % TOG.

Talls FWD Bench Ruck
Ladhams 60 20 20
McDonald 80 20
Buddy 80 20
Total 2.2

Smalls FWD Bench Mid
Heeney 60 20 20
Gulden 60 20 20
Hayward 80 20
Papley 70 20 10
Wicks 80 20
Parker 15 20 65
Warner 15 20 65
Total 3.8

Whatever the team sheet says I reckon this is close to what the rotations will look like. 18/22 is 85% so some will do more TOG and less on the bench for sure. This is only meant to show the principle.

Has to be Buddy, McDonald as a duo and Ladhams has first crack at 2nd ruck/forward.

Reid shouldn’t play R1.

McLean will be very stiff to miss but will be first replacement for any injuries or form from McDonald, Ladhams & Buddy.

McDonald should be played as much as possible to learn as much from Buddy as he can in preparation for being the big Cohuna next year.

this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back