Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also curious as to which 5 players you're looking at. For those I know that played senior SANFL before drafting (rather than junior ranks), I've got:

Stephens (seemed comfortable enough in 1st year)
Gould
Knoll (injuries)
Hayward (40 games in first 2 years)
Dawson (did take a while)

Maybe Pink played a couple of senior games?

Anyway it's off topic a bit, but I don't see SANFL as being substantially different from VFL, WAFL etc. Especially not from VFL in recent years.

Whoops I forgot about Hayward. For some reason I always lump him and Florent together! He is something of an outlier though. The one before he and Dawson I was thinking of was Hewett, who didn't play any games in his first two years. I didn't include rookies like Pink as they are less likely to get senior games anyway.

You're spot on though that outside of our academy, there is literally no pathway onto an AFL list that prepares you for senior footy more or less than any other.

If you look at our draftees in recent years, of the non-Academy players, here's how many games they played in their first years:

Hayward (SANFL) - 17
McCartin (NAB League) - 15
Rowbottom (NAB League) - 12
Florent (NAB League) - 9
Stephens (SANFL) - 8
McDonald (WAFL) - 7
Stoddart (NAB League) - 2
Warner (WAFL) - 2
Taylor (WAFL) - 2
McInerney (NAB League) - 1

Whoops I forgot about Hayward. For some reason I always lump him and Florent together! He is something of an outlier though. The one before he and Dawson I was thinking of was Hewett, who didn't play any games in his first two years. I didn't include rookies like Pink as they are less likely to get senior games anyway.

You're spot on though that outside of our academy, there is literally no pathway onto an AFL list that prepares you for senior footy more or less than any other.

If you look at our draftees in recent years, of the non-Academy players, here's how many games they played in their first years:

Hayward (SANFL) - 17
McCartin (NAB League) - 15
Rowbottom (NAB League) - 12
Florent (NAB League) - 9
Stephens (SANFL) - 8
McDonald (WAFL) - 7
Stoddart (NAB League) - 2
Warner (WAFL) - 2
Taylor (WAFL) - 2
McInerney (NAB League) - 1
Fair enough. I guess with some of the earlier ones (Hewett, Dawson) we weren't exactly a weak side in their early years. They might have played more for other teams. Similarly, I think we're coming off a base year (2021) where it's going to be difficult for the new draftees to get a look in regardless of where they come from (but we agree on that anyway).

I think Warner will be a top 3 mid in our team by years out
The whiplash I get from your extreme pessimism to your extreme optimism is dizzying.

I like Warner as much as the next guy, but Rowbottom, Parker, and Mills will still be ahead on the inside alone.

Though if Parker plays less inside I can see him getting much more responsibility.

The whiplash I get from your extreme pessimism to your extreme optimism is dizzying.

I like Warner as much as the next guy, but Rowbottom, Parker, and Mills will still be ahead on the inside alone.

Though if Parker plays less inside I can see him getting much more responsibility.
Has traits that the others done have , like pure break away speed from congestion. Will fly past Rowbottom amd Parker will play forward a little more IMO

Has traits that the others done have , like pure break away speed from congestion. Will fly past Rowbottom amd Parker will play forward a little more IMO
That centre bounce goal where he broke a tackle and kicked it from outside 50 against the Tigers was pure class

Serong was my first choice at that draft (at our pick), but I'm still optimistic about Stephens (us drafting 6 mid capable players over the last 2 drafts doesn't help though).

I think we're coming off different circumstances into next year, than we did in 2021. Would be surprised if there's any of our draftees that play more than a handful of games, especially early. Also would be concerned as it'd require a fair drop off in form or several relevant injuries. We might see a few debuts due to rotation of the sub though.
I certainly hope that no-one makes their debut as the sub. What a horrible way to debut.
BTW - Serong was my first choice also.

Apart from the obvious key defender(s) still needed, I can't remember a time when our list seemed so well stocked with depth.
The incumbents will be looking over their shoulders each week knowing that one poor performance could be enough to have them replaced which is a great way to be. Far too many players have been gifted games in the past when they were underserving of it. Not in 2022.

I think you underestimate Rowbottom, and overestimate a 3rd year player. Warner definitely looks the goods, but I wouldnt expect him to be consistent enough to warrent top 3. Mind you, if you said he would be top 3 in 3 years I wouldn't disagree, but it also depends on the blokes we draft in the mean time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where he fits early on unless we have additional injuries from our Elim Final team. Mills, JPK, Blakey to come in from the Elim side and I guess Hewett, Dawson, Bell (maybe/hopefully) are the definite/easy outs. Then factoring in maybe Campbell for Florent or some other whipping boy. It sounds like every other young mid/fwd will absolutely perform in pre-season, with no possibility of any other open spots, so I guess he'll just have to wait. Also assuming Stephens doesn't do a Warner over the new year.

It sounds like Roberts is the most AFL ready, but again don't see where he fits early on.
I do. Half back. He is a natural half back and runs off. He is big but bloody fast. So might just take the Dawson HB role while Macca takes the wing.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I do. Half back. He is a natural half back and runs off. He is big but bloody fast. So might just take the Dawson HB role while Macca takes the wing.

The likely upshot of that would be both Florent and Campbell in VFL. 2023 maybe, but unlikely this coming season, barring injuries. Be interesting to see where he plays in ressies.

I am not sure if any of the new draftees will debut early. It is a big step up to immediately overtake other players on the fringes who have done a few preseasons. Especially for Sheldrick and Warner joining the club in January.

Though I hope they get a chance in the trial games.
Reducing the number of trial games reduces their chances of that. From what Harley said perhaps the AFL is thinking of reducing to one. Maybe to reduce travel costs. Might have to play more intra club games.
Even if the draftees don't get to use these games as a stepping stone they are an invaluable experience in preparation and what goes on on game day.

Are we talking about Roberts? Assuming not Sheldrick who was the other subject of my post. Just don't see us putting Roberts at half back since it's not the position he's played (inside mid / fwd), we have a bunch of better options than a draftee in an unnatural position and whose disposal isn't as good (Blakey, Lloyd, JMac who the coaches at least seemed to favour at HB, even Campbell) and he's not very big (183/4 cm)?

Unless you mean Blakey, but that wasn't who we were discussing (it was Sheldrick or Roberts getting early games). Blakey's a lock at HB definitely.

Last edited:
We just lost 2 players in our midfield, plus injuries spots will open up
We also have 3 locks to come back into the Elim Final team (Mills, JPK, Blakey). It's easy enough to see someone like Bell getting dropped, but then it'd rely on a combination of injuries plus the likes of Campbell, Stephens, Fox, Sheather not being in front of any draftees performing well.

We also have 3 locks to come back into the Elim Final team (Mills, JPK, Blakey). It's easy enough to see someone like Bell getting dropped, but then it'd rely on a combination of injuries plus the likes of Campbell, Stephens, Fox, Sheather not being in front of any draftees performing well.
Im a big believer that there are only so many young inexperienced players in any b22.
Theres heaps of competition for spots between the 2nd - 4th year players, let alone the 1st - 4th year players

2nd yr - Cambell, Gulden, McDonald
3rd yr - Stephens, Warner, Wicks
4th yr - Blakey, Rowbum, JMac
There probably isn't room for all these guys...
Then theres the other young players the Swans would like to be getting games into - Sheather, Gould, Amartey, McLean, Bell, OConnor?...
Thens theres the new draftees...

We just lost 2 players in our midfield, plus injuries spots will open up
My general point is that we often suggest players who should/will play games but rarely do people offer who they replace. Sheldrick may get opportunities early but only due to injury. I’ve seen similar posts about Gould and Sheather. Personally, I hope they don’t play early in the season because it will mean that our team is healthy.

Reducing the number of trial games reduces their chances of that. From what Harley said perhaps the AFL is thinking of reducing to one. Maybe to reduce travel costs. Might have to play more intra club games.
Even if the draftees don't get to use these games as a stepping stone they are an invaluable experience in preparation and what goes on on game day.
We generally play a practice match against GWS as well as any official pre-season games (and one of those generally includes GWS). So we'll probably have multiple games against AFL oppo, they might just all be GWS.

Are we talking about Roberts? Assuming not Sheldrick who was the other subject of my post. Just don't see us putting Roberts at half back since it's not the position he's played (inside mid / fwd), we have a bunch of better options than a draftee in an unnatural position and whose disposal isn't as good (Blakey, Lloyd, JMac who the coaches at least seemed to favour at HB, even Campbell) and he's not very big (183/4 cm)?

Unless you mean Blakey, but that wasn't who we were discussing (it was Sheldrick or Roberts getting early games). Blakey's a lock at HB definitely.
Roberts played a mix of HB, WING & HF for South Adelaide seniors last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back