Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a hypertensive crisis and wasn't feeling well for 3 mths. Anyhow my new Dr thought my pulse rate was too low and did an ECG . Turns out I had a 100% heart block requiring a pacemaker. Inserted within 24 hrs . Ok now but emotionally drained a little by it all. I'm not quite as resilient as I thought I was.

Lucky you swapped when you did. FWIW, feeling emotionally drained is common for patients after heart surgery. Best of luck with your recovery.

Round 1:

Lloyd - Rampe - Cunningham
McInerney - T. McCartin - Blakey
Gulden - Ch. Warner - Campbell
Heeney - Franklin - Hayward
Papley - McDonald - Wicks
Hickey - Parker - Mills
--
Ladhams - Rowbottom - Kennedy - Florent
--
Fox or Stephens medi sub.

Round 1:

Lloyd - Rampe - Cunningham
McInerney - T. McCartin - Blakey
Gulden - Ch. Warner - Campbell
Heeney - Franklin - Hayward
Papley - McDonald - Wicks
Hickey - Parker - Mills
--
Ladhams - Rowbottom - Kennedy - Florent
--
Fox or Stephens medi sub.

Methinks there are too many mids in that team, and not enough defenders.

Considering the last time we played them, we let Jesse Hogan of all players run rampant. As underwhelming as our defensive stocks are, we cannot just give up on the position entirely.

I would say one of those smaller players has to make way for one of Melican/P. McCartin/Fox/COR/(or Gould?)

Methinks there are too many mids in that team, and not enough defenders.

Considering the last time we played them, we let Jesse Hogan of all players run rampant. As underwhelming as our defensive stocks are, we cannot just give up on the position entirely.

I would say one of those smaller players has to make way for one of Melican/P. McCartin/Fox/COR/(or Gould?)
Agree, probably Campbell for O'Riordan or Fox depending on preseason form. Too early for Paddy. Melican? Maybe, maybe not. Of course, Campbell could play back but I'd like to see a bit more muscle.

Id forgot about that, bloody Hogan, it was obvious pregame what happen that he had no match up, then it did happen, but out the other side we were unlikely to win the granny even if we made it anyway, so I'm not too ticked off anymore.
I would have liked to have seen us win that one. We coulda, shoulda, even without JPK and Mills. Choked in the end. After that, who knows? Certainly doubt we could have beaten the Demons the way they played.

I would have liked to have seen us win that one. We coulda, shoulda, even without JPK and Mills. Choked in the end. After that, who knows? Certainly doubt we could have beaten the Demons the way they played.

Frustrating part is it should've been lost in the midfield. We had no right generating so much ball out of the middle and winning the territory battle without two of our best mids. Yet we did, and then what happens? The forwards - the one group who gave us no cause for concern all year - have one of their worst days. Just wasn't meant to be.

I still think it was a blessing in disguise. Given that everyone was literally playing for the spot of "Melbourne's bitch", it was probably for the best that we never reached that point. Being humiliated and our game plan dismantled in the big dance is a much harder experience to gain motivation from than an honourable-but-stinging narrow loss in an elimination final.

Where Amartey lines up in the preseason is very interesting to me.

Would love to see him walk towards defence.

I don't see how McLean and Amartey are going to get consistent opportunities (bar injury) next year unless one of them moves to key defence.

Where Amartey lines up in the preseason is very interesting to me.

Would love to see him walk towards defence.

I don't see how McLean and Amartey are going to get consistent opportunities (bar injury) next year unless one of them moves to key defence.

Don't think either of them are defenders tbh.

Don't think either of them are defenders tbh.

Maybe not.

It's possible Franklin and Hickey have injuries next year or Ladhams/McDonald don't demand a place in the team and it doesn't matter. But it is also possible McCartin or Rampe get injured and we are totally exposed.

I think it's a waste to have Amartey/McLean and, to a much lesser extent, Reid just running around in the reserves next year because there is no position for them in the forward line. Especially given our obvious deficiencies in key defence.

Amartey has played in defence a bit in our reserves before.

He's also athletic enough, I'm just not sure what his like defensively one on one.
Of the two of them I think Amartey is more likely to succeed as a defender.
McLean has a great tank but is less agile so might be easier to drop off on the lead.
Amartey would need to start out as a KPD along with Paddy in VFL to see if it will work or not, plus get to see which of them looks better.
I could see seniors back 7 starting out as:
Cunningham Melican Rampe
Blakey McCartinT Lloyd McInerney
VFL as:
COR McCartinP O'Connor
Gould Amartey Roberts Rankin
Fox playing mids guiding the youngsters. He did a fair bit of leading in the NEAFL.
Reckon Roberts and Rankin will get a run in the backline to get used to the game plan. Either could also play forward depending on who else is available.
If Amartey plays forward either Gould or O'Connor should play CHB but I doubt that's where we start. Waste of time playing Reid back.
My bet though is that Reid will play CHF and McLean FF, where they would play in seniors.

Maybe not.

It's possible Franklin and Hickey have injuries next year or Ladhams/McDonald don't demand a place in the team and it doesn't matter. But it is also possible McCartin or Rampe get injured and we are totally exposed.

I think it's a waste to have Amartey/McLean and, to a much lesser extent, Reid just running around in the reserves next year because there is no position for them in the forward line. Especially given our obvious deficiencies in key defence.

Amartey and McLean are a key part of our future forward line IMO. I know many on here don't agree, particularly thinking of 2022 where the preferred options seem to be Ladhams and McDonald. However I think Buddy and Hickey are still factoring into too many's plans. Neither are young, and as inconceivable as it seems, they both won't have long left. In a future without those two, what do our talls look like? Ladhams will be the main ruck presumably, and McDonald will be a key forward. That ain't gonna cut it. McLean will be the contested ying to McDonald's athletic yang, and Amartey will be the back-up ruck to Ladhams and third tall inside 50.

It is perfectly realistic to imagine a not-too-distant future where all four of Ladhams, McDonald, McLean and Amartey are in the same team, as a forward group that could be very dangerous, and they're all under 25. That's a luxury most lists in the comp do not have. We shouldn't squander that on speculative hopes of them helping out our defensive situation.

Not to mention Amartey played defence in the NEAFL for a time and did not look great; and though I am a fan of McLean, he would not address the "key defender with speed" need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amartey and McLean are a key part of our future forward line IMO. I know many on here don't agree, particularly thinking of 2022 where the preferred options seem to be Ladhams and McDonald. However I think Buddy and Hickey are still factoring into too many's plans. Neither are young, and as inconceivable as it seems, they both won't have long left. In a future without those two, what do our talls look like? Ladhams will be the main ruck presumably, and McDonald will be a key forward. That ain't gonna cut it. McLean will be the contested ying to McDonald's athletic yang, and Amartey will be the back-up ruck to Ladhams and third tall inside 50.

It is perfectly realistic to imagine a not-too-distant future where all four of Ladhams, McDonald, McLean and Amartey are in the same team, as a forward group that could be very dangerous, and they're all under 25. That's a luxury most lists in the comp do not have. We shouldn't squander that on speculative hopes of them helping out our defensive situation.

Not to mention Amartey played defence in the NEAFL for a time and did not look great; and though I am a fan of McLean, he would not address the "key defender with speed" need.

Pretty much agree with this.

A few seasons back I watched Amartey playing back in the 2s. Admittedly a while ago, but he looked a fish out of water. I expect it was less a serious trial than part of his long term education. I admit until this year I did not see much potential. Clearly the Club valued his athleticism and have seen him as a long term investment.

His long term future (if he makes it) is most likely as the Fwd/ruck. The doubt is his ability to keep learning. He is not a natural footballer.

McLean is one of my favourite players because of his smarts and hardness. When he came in via the MSD he played a few games in the ruck. Undersized and void of any tank, he was gassed by halftime. He had however impressed by winning clearances by virtue of footy IQ and bloody mindedness.

To his credit he has obviously worked his tail off on his fitness and tank. That GPS numbers apparently showed he covered a huge amount of territory is a credit to him and showed his value to our offensive and defensive game when he plays. At one stage I saw his future as a KPD but not now. He remains one paced and that goes against him.

Frustrating part is it should've been lost in the midfield. We had no right generating so much ball out of the middle and winning the territory battle without two of our best mids. Yet we did, and then what happens? The forwards - the one group who gave us no cause for concern all year - have one of their worst days. Just wasn't meant to be.

I still think it was a blessing in disguise. Given that everyone was literally playing for the spot of "Melbourne's b*tch", it was probably for the best that we never reached that point. Being humiliated and our game plan dismantled in the big dance is a much harder experience to gain motivation from than an honourable-but-stinging narrow loss in an elimination final.
I agree with the blessing in disguise, and it's on of the reasons why I don't think we'll face a large dip. In performance next year.
Melbourne had a similar meteoric rise in 2018, but ended up going further than they deserved and became a little self satisfied (reading in between the lines of what Max Gawn said before the finals this year). It took them 3 years to get back into finals and find that hunger again.
Now those 3 years probably made them a much better team, but it shows how much mentality can play a role in teams result.

Now look at us, we got into the finals clear of 7th and 8th with us being a big gap ahead. We finished with the same points as 4th and had numerous games we could of won this year to get into the top 8. Then in our final game, we dominated for the last half, made a significant comeback, and showed mental fortitude in all aspects of our game EXCEPT for goal kicking.

I don't think there'll be a hungrier team next year than us. Not saying we'll be the best, but we'll come into the year with unfinished business imo.

On the topic of Melbourne winning next year.
I just don't see why it's certain? Richmond of 2018 was the most dominant team I had seen in years, and they fell at the prelim. No team is guaranteed anything, and Melbourne will have to get through 25 teams all over again, and it only takes one blunder at the wrong time to lose it.

Now I don't mind Melbourne winning if we don't, but I feel the premiership odds are probably 40-60, 40 Melbourne wins, 60 another team wins.

On the topic of Melbourne winning next year.
I just don't see why it's certain? Richmond of 2018 was the most dominant team I had seen in years, and they fell at the prelim. No team is guaranteed anything, and Melbourne will have to get through 25 teams all over again, and it only takes one blunder at the wrong time to lose it.

Now I don't mind Melbourne winning if we don't, but I feel the premiership odds are probably 40-60, 40 Melbourne wins, 60 another team wins.

It's not certain, but it's going to take a mighty effort for someone else to win it, given that A) Melbourne were miles ahead of any other team this year, so everyone else basically has to play catch-up just to get level with them, and B) It will most likely require actually beating Melbourne to do it, and they have the most comprehensive and well-rounded team in the comp.

Stranger things have happened, but in most cases (ie. not 2018), the best team of the year does usually end up winning the flag. Melbourne might have an off night, but who is going to be better than them next year?

It's not certain, but it's going to take a mighty effort for someone else to win it, given that A) Melbourne were miles ahead of any other team this year, so everyone else basically has to play catch-up just to get level with them, and B) It will most likely require actually beating Melbourne to do it, and they have the most comprehensive and well-rounded team in the comp.

Stranger things have happened, but in most cases (ie. not 2018), the best team of the year does usually end up winning the flag. Melbourne might have an off night, but who is going to be better than them next year?
I think it's important to remember that the Dogs were right in it until the Dees blew it open mainly off the back of some stupendous individual efforts.
Any of last year's top 6 playing their best with the Dees off a bit would have a chance.
That said, you would have to back the Dees on the balance of probabilities.

If the Dees bring their best, it's hard to see anyone else matching them consistently. They were matched and beaten at times throughout 2021 though so there's always opportunity. Even in their last qtr and a half, I feel like a few other teams would have been better equipped to hold the line, especially after a few quick goals which can surprise anyone. Us included. If not win it, at least make it competitive. They just broke the Dogs quickly and there was no coming back.

I don't necessarily think anyone will be better over the course of the year, but the Dees lost to Adelaide this year so anything can happen. Pretty much any team good enough to make finals (incl from 2021) could spring an upset if the Dees have an off night (except Essendon).

2014 we were the best (only lost a couple or three home and away)and got murdered on GF day. I know I was there. Anything can happen once you get the chance.

2014 we were the best (only lost a couple or three home and away)and got murdered on GF day. I know I was there. Anything can happen once you get the chance.
I agree, but I'd go one step further... I think it's much harder to win back to back GFs than just one... the fact the Hawks and Tigers have done so well in recent times is muddling everyone's thinking imo. I think it's unlikely that Melbourne will win back to back... just too hard to do!

Imagine if Buddy goes around for another 1-2 years plying at his current level. That would be absolutely huge for the club. He’d surely play on bugger all salary and we can sure up the list and maybe even sign a big free agent.

At the end of my lacklustre cricket 'career' I played some park cricket with some lefty mates. Our number 11 was the most enthusiastic cricketer I ever played with. Full of strategy, tactics and bubbly cheer he looked more like Groucho than Karl and his ability owed more to the former. On the rare occasion the last wicket partnership produced runs our number 11 ran between the wickets carrying his bat as if it was a pen.

Buddy reminds me of the enthusiastic Number 11, except of course his talents remain so sublime he still makes me laugh. Now well into what should be his footballing dotage, he still does things other great players in their prime can only dream of.

This year it was a joy to watch the big bloke charge around. He may not be able to do the impossible but still achieves the improbable. If Horse erred years ago in being Buddy centric, 2021 saw him fit seamlessly into the game plan. That suits Bud who remains a wonderful team player.

Like my cricket nuffie Number 11 mate, Franklin is the most enthusiastic kid. Being at training on Day 1 with the recruits and young players is not so much an act of principle, as a reflection of his love of the game and team.

I wonder how he fits into the 2022 Game Plan? Whatever it is he can be counted on to play his part. Every game he plays will be a bonus for us and a nightmare for Oppo coaches and defenders.

If we get 16 or so games of the 22 H&A we should be happy. If we make Finals I hope he is ready to go.

Imagine if Buddy goes around for another 1-2 years plying at his current level. That would be absolutely huge for the club. He’d surely play on bugger all salary and we can sure up the list and maybe even sign a big free agent.
I don't think you are far off the money.
This list is coming together nicely.

Definite outs
Kennedy
Sinclair
Naismith
Taylor
Probable Outs
Reid-Amartey and McLean need to put up or shut up. Need consistent performances.
Clarke-I don't mind him but he is not the future. Hit his ceiling. Stephens, Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts, C Warner are the future.

Ins-we have 2 pick 1s and a 2 and a 4.
KPD-because we need one
Mid-to replace Kennedy
Ruck-to replace Sinclair and Naismith. We need 4 on the list. Billy King is in the academy.
Forward-to replace Taylor or Reid. Tye Gander is in the academy. Do we need another KPD? see Reid.

The core of the list will be young and developing with a core headed by Heeney at 26 and a loyal group staggered just below him by age.

Buddy is on his last year at $1m. I reckon he goes around again by his form this year. Cap space opens up.

The future is bright.

I'm sure that would shore up the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back