Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

If someone told me Warner had played 15 matches for Sydney and Stephens had 14 I would not believe it.
Warner seems like a lock in the team in the midfield and had played way more games Stephens.
Stephens seems like he needs a big offseason to save himself.
Different perceptions I suppose.
Warner has made some real impacts in games. Bursting through, big goals on the run, some big tackles, assists.
Stephens not so much. I can remember key moments from just about every player except him. He doesn't seem to have the capability to impose himself on moments in the game. Might be confidence or it might be that adrenalin surge. Or maybe he can't quite get himself into the right place at the right time. I can't quite see where he fits in this team at the moment.

Warner has made some real impacts in games. Bursting through, big goals on the run, some big tackles, assists.
Stephens not so much. I can remember key moments from just about every player except him. He doesn't seem to have the capability to impose himself on moments in the game. Might be confidence or it might be that adrenalin surge. Or maybe he can't quite get himself into the right place at the right time. I can't quite see where he fits in this team at the moment.
Stephens has had some good moments, his courageous first goal in 2020 and a composed finish against the Cats in our 2021 comeback come to mind. I'm less concerned about the "moments" though and more his consistent impact for the team. His Cats game in 2021 was good, but dropped straight away. Didn't come back from that (at senior level), his Saints game later in the year was horrific, nothing he tried came off (5 clangers and 3 Frees Against from 8 touches). Who knows what could have happened if he'd stayed in the team when it was deserved.

Warner is some ways ahead, but as we saw their fortunes flipped from 2020 going into 2021, and given it's only their 3rd years, we could see that even up or flip back. Stranger things have happened, particularly with young players.

Where I think Stephens differs from the rest of our kids is that he is still stuck in the "kid of the team" mentality, while many of the others, including Warner, seem to have the more mature "member of the team" mentality.

I think back to round 1 last year against Brisbane. Warner started on the wing and, save for some inside rotations later in the match, played mostly on the wing. Not entirely familiar territory for a hard nut inside mid, and understandably he didn't play as well as in the weeks that followed when he was moved into the contest more. But was he bad? Absolutely not. There might not've been highlights or a massive stats sheet or POTY votes, but he did a handful of good things and walked away at the end of the night being one of many contributors in a great win. Did he star? No. Did he need to star? No. He just played his role and made the most of playing in a position not 100% suited to him.

Compare that with Stephens. We all know he sees himself on the inside and I really do empathise with him. It must be frustrating not being given the chance to play in his preferred role. But we don't need him to be Isaac Smith or Lewis Jetta on the wing. He doesn't have to be putting in performances that will earn Rising Star nominations like the rest have got. He just has to do enough. To do what's required of him and justify his place in the team in the first place. Instead, every possession seems to look rushed and overthought, and he second-guesses himself physically quite frequently. He seems too focused on trying not to do the wrong thing rather than just doing what is obvious.

It is that teenager mentality, like the kid who knows he's in the team of stars and is letting that dictate his play. It's a contrast to the confidence, maturity and instinct that you see in Warner, and that we've seen with Gulden, McInerney, Rowbottom, McCartin etc. Even Blakey, when his actual footy was shocking (in the wrong positions, it turns out), he never seemed to waver in his belief that he belonged out there in the team. Stephens just needs to believe, and stop letting a fear of failure get in the way of his success.
I think this explains the difference between his first and second years as well.

Coming into a top 6 team has a different pressure than a bottom 4 team.

I think this belongs here. What is the club doing about [PLAYERCARD Paddy McCartin[/PLAYERCARD]? They really are dragging this out. I hope they have not dragged it out for him. It would be terrible to be trapped in limbo for all this time.

Bedford do you know anything?

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this belongs here. What is the club doing about [PLAYERCARD Paddy McCartin? They really are dragging this out. I hope they have not dragged it out for him. It would be terrible to be trapped in limbo for all this time.

Bedford do you know anything?

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
SSP runs from Jan 10 to March 9, not really dragging it out. To be fair to the club, we might have been able to make a decision from his 2021 season if he didn't get himself suspended for 5 weeks of an already disrupted, shortened season.

SSP runs from Jan 10 to March 9, not really dragging it out. To be fair to the club, we might have been able to make a decision from his 2021 season if he didn't get himself suspended for 5 weeks of an already disrupted, shortened season.
Can any of the folks who have seen training say:
Has he been training with the seniors or VFL?
If with seniors, which group?

Can any of the folks who have seen training say:
Has he been training with the seniors or VFL?
If with seniors, which group?
He's training with the seniors, mostly as a back. Today he was doing a lot of work presenting as the marking option coming out of defence and competing with Hickey to be at the fall of the ball. They are rotating the players around a bit - I even noticed McDonald spending some time at fullback (as well as training/playing as a forward).

swans2022.png

The future of the Swans is being led by Melican (Defender), Heeney (Midfield) and Papley (Forward) age wise. All are 26 years old. This is the head of the wave of young players coming through which will make the club great for years.

Experience
We have so many leaders in this club that drives excellence in our younger players.
In the Best 22 we have only 7 players that are over that key age of 26.
Defence
Rampe(32)- has a couple of years
Lloyd(29) has 3+ years
Cunningham(29) has 3 plus years
Midfield
Kennedy
Parker
Ruck
Hickey
Forwards
Buddy

In the depth and rookies there are a few more over 26 but most of them will be gone by years end.
I can see the following being cut.
Naismith(30)-Injury and age
Sinclair(32)-Age and Jesus and Ladhams
Kennedy(34)-Age
Reid(31)-Age
L Taylor(27)-A soldier but never going to be best 22
Maybe Ronke(25)-Has too many rivals

That just leaves
ORiordan(27)-Reliable fill in for small to mediums
Fox(29)-Gun backup for small to talls. Too good to let go.

So of all the players over Heeney's age of 26
We have 7 best 22
and
2 in the depth//rookies.

Only 7 players after 2022 will be older than Heeney/Papley/Melican.

That is very healthy as
Defence
will be around for a while yet. Blakey and McInerney are young and dynamic and will add some drive off halfback. Plus Campbell.
Midfield
Kennedy will be gone next year but with Heeney and Gulden training in the mids plus our depth it looks solid.
Ruck
I hope Jesus lasts 2 years which will give Ladhams a good time to gel with the team and takeover. Drafting a young ruck this year is a priority with the departure of Sinclair and Naismith.
Forwards
We are stacked with forwards. If Buddy goes around again it will give Amartey and McLean more time to develop.
Mac will get games.
Hayward has developed into a medium forward with class. In 21 he went to another level after spending time on the pine in round 1 next to Horse.
Small forwards abound in Papley, Wicks, Sheather, Gulden, Bell and Ronke if not given the door.

The wave of players under 26 is huge and developing.

The experience we still have in the team is guiding and developing the wave.

The Wave is priced at 26 years old and it is coming to all AFL clubs when they meet the Swans this year.

Last edited:
Stephen’s to me looks a complete bust, for a guy taken at 5, he’s looked overawed, rushed, made poor decisions and looked a bit frightened at times.
I really hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking good imo.

View attachment 1314878

The future of the Swans is being led by Melican (Defender), Heeney (Midfield) and Papley (Forward) age wise. All are 26 years old. This is the head of the wave of young players coming through which will make the club great for years.

Experience
We have so many leaders in this club that drives excellence in our younger players.
In the Best 22 we have only 7 players that are over that key age of 26.
Defence
Rampe(32)- has a couple of years
Lloyd(29) has 3+ years
Cunningham(29) has 3 plus years
Midfield
Kennedy
Parker
Ruck
Hickey
Forwards
Buddy

In the depth and rookies there are a few more over 26 but most of them will be gone by years end.
I can see the following being cut.
Naismith(30)-Injury and age
Sinclair(32)-Age and Jesus and Ladhams
Kennedy(34)-Age
Reid(31)-Age
L Taylor(27)-A soldier but never going to be best 22
Maybe Ronke(25)-Has too many rivals

That just leaves
ORiordan(27)-Reliable fill in for small to mediums
Fox(29)-Gun backup for small to talls. Too good to let go.

So of all the players over Heeney's age of 26
We have 7 best 22
and
2 in the depth//rookies.

Only 7 players after 2022 will be older than Heeney/Papley/Melican.

That is very healthy as
Defence
will be around for a while yet. Blakey and McInerney are young and dynamic and will add some drive off halfback. Plus Campbell.
Midfield
Kennedy will be gone next year but with Heeney and Gulden training in the mids plus our depth it looks solid.
Ruck
I hope Jesus lasts 2 years which will give Ladhams a good time to gel with the team and takeover. Drafting a young ruck this year is a priority with the departure of Sinclair and Naismith.
Forwards
We are stacked with forwards. If Buddy goes around again it will give Amartey and McLean more time to develop.
Mac will get games.
Hayward has developed into a medium forward with class. In 21 he went to another level after spending time on the pine in round 1 next to Horse.
Small forwards abound in Papley, Wicks, Sheather, Gulden, Bell and Ronke if not given the door.

The wave of players under 26 is huge and developing.

The experience we still have in the team is guiding and developing the wave.

The Wave is priced at 26 years old and it is coming to all AFL clubs when they meet the Swans this year.
It will be fascinating to look back at the end of the year at the various predictions about retirements and delistings to compare with what actually happens.
1) Will we still be seeking the elusive KPD or will PaddyM and/or Melican have filled that void?
2) Will Ladhams have cemented his place in the best 22 or will McLean have pushed past him?
3) Candidates for one year contracts Buddy, JPK, Reid, Sinclair, Taylor, Clarke, Fox, Ronke others.
4) We have a lot of contracts due. From this point of view, a long year ahead.
5) We have 2 (at least) likely from the Academy in King and Gander. More?
My personal view is that we need to let some older guys go, even if we would like to keep them. In my mind that would be JPK, Sinclair, Naismith and Reid.
If McAndrew isn't working out we might want to keep Sinclair to mentor King for instance, though King might be seen more as a forward.
Taylor and Clarke are good enough to play seniors if absolutely necessary, are very useful to help in the development of draftees and don't cost a whole bunch, so we might hang on to them to the surprise of some. Likewise Bell. Not best 22 but best 30 at this point in time.
Stephens and Gould. Do we see them breaking through into a good team? Stephens is definitely on the fringe and will get games, but for how long? Gould is more problematic.
We often get very excited about the shiny new toys (draftees) but this year I think is going to be more about the core and fringe players and their places in the grand scheme and whether they are able to deliver a place in finals.
The early draw is a beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be fascinating to look back at the end of the year at the various predictions about retirements and delistings to compare with what actually happens.
1) Will we still be seeking the elusive KPD or will PaddyM and/or Melican have filled that void?
2) Will Ladhams have cemented his place in the best 22 or will McLean have pushed past him?
3) Candidates for one year contracts Buddy, JPK, Reid, Sinclair, Taylor, Clarke, Fox, Ronke others.
4) We have a lot of contracts due. From this point of view, a long year ahead.
5) We have 2 (at least) likely from the Academy in King and Gander. More?
My personal view is that we need to let some older guys go, even if we would like to keep them. In my mind that would be JPK, Sinclair, Naismith and Reid.
If McAndrew isn't working out we might want to keep Sinclair to mentor King for instance, though King might be seen more as a forward.
Taylor and Clarke are good enough to play seniors if absolutely necessary, are very useful to help in the development of draftees and don't cost a whole bunch, so we might hang on to them to the surprise of some. Likewise Bell. Not best 22 but best 30 at this point in time.
Stephens and Gould. Do we see them breaking through into a good team? Stephens is definitely on the fringe and will get games, but for how long? Gould is more problematic.
We often get very excited about the shiny new toys (draftees) but this year I think is going to be more about the core and fringe players and their places in the grand scheme and whether they are able to deliver a place in finals.
The early draw is a beast.
1) This years draft is supposed to be KP heavy. So likelihood is we draft the elusive Unicorn. We have 2 first rounders.
2) I think McLean is more a forward than a ruck. He is too small to be a permanent ruck.
3) Buddy and Fox play on. Ronke a chance. Sinkers may get a one year gig as a mentor.
4) I think Naismith, Reid, Kennedy, Taylor are givens. A few others only the club would have a better idea than us.
5) Hopefully those 2 come onboard, as they would fill needs. King as a ruck/fwd & Gander as a fwd/mid. My nephew is a very very long shot.
I think Taylor goes but Clarke gets one more year. We are thin on experience in the backup mids and he could be handy in an injury crisis.
Stephens and Gould I hope surprise me on the upside.

1) This years draft is supposed to be KP heavy. So likelihood is we draft the elusive Unicorn. We have 2 first rounders.
2) I think McLean is more a forward than a ruck. He is too small to be a permanent ruck.
3) Buddy and Fox play on. Ronke a chance. Sinkers may get a one year gig as a mentor.
4) I think Naismith, Reid, Kennedy, Taylor are givens. A few others only the club would have a better idea than us.
5) Hopefully those 2 come onboard, as they would fill needs. King as a ruck/fwd & Gander as a fwd/mid. My nephew is a very very long shot.
I think Taylor goes but Clarke gets one more year. We are thin on experience in the backup mids and he could be handy in an injury crisis.

I am seriously worried for your safety, given you seem intent on retiring JPK.

You can join me in Witness Protection!

Agree about McLean. He's a good mark but doesn't have much of a leap. Plus he doesn't seem able to position his body well. I think he's a better forward than Amartey who was stunning against Nicnat so I think Logan, Haden and Joel will be our tall trio once Bud and Hick are gone, unless some

I'm really intrigued by the make-up of our midfield this year. Going through our list, I counted fifteen players who are vying for midfield spots, which will likely have to be narrowed down to 7-8 in the 22 each week, depending on match-ups, injuries etc. I've left out players like Papley & Blakey who, despite being teased through the midfield in the past, are overwhelmingly suited to and likely to play in other positions.

The fifteen are: Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Clarke, Florent, Rowbottom, McInerney, Chad Warner, Stephens, Gulden, Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner.

I genuinely can't remember us ever having so much competition for spots. It's not necessarily enormous depth, since they're mostly all kids we can't yet rely on to match say a Mills. But in terms of everyone needing to be on their toes, I can't recall a single area being so competitive as it could be this year. There could be times when we can't fit top five picks like Campbell and Stephens in the side, or when we have the luxury of not needing supreme talents like Heeney or Gulden in the mids at all; not to mention big names like the young (Florent) and the old (Kennedy) could easily be on the chopping block.

Gonna be insane to see so many young players 23/24 and under all going for possibly only one or two spots. I can't wait!

I'm really intrigued by the make-up of our midfield this year. Going through our list, I counted fifteen players who are vying for midfield spots, which will likely have to be narrowed down to 7-8 in the 22 each week, depending on match-ups, injuries etc. I've left out players like Papley & Blakey who, despite being teased through the midfield in the past, are overwhelmingly suited to and likely to play in other positions.

The fifteen are: Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Clarke, Florent, Rowbottom, McInerney, Chad Warner, Stephens, Gulden, Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner.

I genuinely can't remember us ever having so much competition for spots. It's not necessarily enormous depth, since they're mostly all kids we can't yet rely on to match say a Mills. But in terms of everyone needing to be on their toes, I can't recall a single area being so competitive as it could be this year. There could be times when we can't fit top five picks like Campbell and Stephens in the side, or when we have the luxury of not needing supreme talents like Heeney or Gulden in the mids at all; not to mention big names like the young (Florent) and the old (Kennedy) could easily be on the chopping block.

Gonna be insane to see so many young players 23/24 and under all going for possibly only one or two spots. I can't wait!

I reckon Sheldrick will play a lot of reserves footy this year and may force his way in on a HFF but I doubt he'll play much true midfield this year absent of injuries.

The guys who interest me most on your list are Kennedy, Stephens, and Heeney.

Warner, Rowbottom, Parker and Mills are basically set in stone as first-choice midfielders imo. Florent will almost certainly reprise his wing role with, I suspect, Gulden and Campbell or Heeney getting time on the wing as well. Florent isn't beloved on this board but he just finished top 10 in the Skilton and I think does his job well enough week in and week out that, now that he's played almost 100 games, he's a reliable contributor to keep. Particularly if the options to replace him are even younger and less experienced.

Do they make room for Kennedy from round 1? Probably, but how does that leave enough room for Heeney to play in the middle like the coaches have stated they want? Stephens I'm sure has his eyes firmly on a midfield spot after re-signing for 2 years and putting on some weight over off-season. Personally, I think Heeney is best suited to staying forward the bulk of the game and moving into the middle if needed. He doesn't have the electric athleticism of Dangerfield, Fyfe, Petracca in the middle to burst away from congestion but he has got forward line athleticism where he's just about unstoppable one-on-one. I'd leave him there and let Kennedy/Stephens duke it out for inside midfield time.

I expect Kennedy will play a few games as 23rd man. There if injury happens and can offer coaching support from the bench. This wll be workload management and team balance I Issues at play. Last year his tog dropped info the 60s. I expect this to slide further which limits break time for others.

I reckon Sheldrick will play a lot of reserves footy this year and may force his way in on a HFF but I doubt he'll play much true midfield this year absent of injuries.

Warner, Rowbottom, Parker and Mills are basically set in stone as first-choice midfielders imo. Florent will almost certainly reprise his wing role with, I suspect, Gulden and Campbell or Heeney getting time on the wing as well. Florent isn't beloved on this board but he just finished top 10 in the Skilton and I think does his job well enough week in and week out that, now that he's played almost 100 games, he's a reliable contributor to keep. Particularly if the options to replace him are even younger and less experienced.

Do they make room for Kennedy from round 1? Probably, but how does that leave enough room for Heeney to play in the middle like the coaches have stated they want? Stephens I'm sure has his eyes firmly on a midfield spot after re-signing for 2 years and putting on some weight over off-season. Personally, I think Heeney is best suited to staying forward the bulk of the game and moving into the middle if needed. He doesn't have the electric athleticism of Dangerfield, Fyfe, Petracca in the middle to burst away from congestion but he has got forward line athleticism where he's just about unstoppable one-on-one. I'd leave him there and let Kennedy/Stephens duke it out for inside midfield time.
Barring a COVID disaster I doubt any of this season's draftees gets a seniors game outside the trials.
If they did for some reason I could see Sheldrick as a small forward or Roberts as a HFF. Warner has had seniors experience but I doubt he's ready. Rankin not at all.
Available for seniors midfield (inside or outside) spots is realistically more like:
Kennedy, Parker, Mills, Rowbottom
Warner, Florent, Stephens, Clarke, Taylor, Gulden, McInerney, Campbell, Heeney, Papley.
A fair few of these will most likely be committed to the majority of their time in other positions:
Gulden, McInerney, Campbell, Heeney, Papley
Or in Ressies:
Stephens, Clarke Taylor.
So there's room for Gulden etc to make up the 7th midfield role.
Reckon that's how it will pan out.

Heeney is almost an impossible match-up when up forward.Speed, agility, aerial prowess, x factor goal sense. Played consistently midfield I sense it just dulls his impact because of the work load. I'd much prefer him to be that strike weapon. My only wish for Heeney is greater reliability in front of goal. Can occasionally miss when he shouldn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back